Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 3 Transmission Problems

Comments

• Hi peeps,

Dont laugh at me because i know NOTHING about cars but any advice would be great. My mazda 3 seems to be at a higher RPM than it should be at times. For example going down the freeway @ 110km/h its usually doing about 3500RPM. seems a bit high to me however it could be normal? just used to a different car that does not seem to sit at such a high RPM in 5th gear. theres probably nothing wong other than my lack of car knowledge LOL! but hey you never learn without asking even the stupid questions. any words of reassurance would be great. :)
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Assuming that you have a manual transmission...

Yes, 3,500 RPMs does sound a bit high. As a point of reference, my 2009 Mazda3 i 5-Speed (manual) turns about 3,050 RPMs at 112 KPH.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • smadikesmadike Posts: 2
    hi everybody,i'm new in the forum,sorry for my english.
    I've the same probleme with my typotronic mazda3 2004 (107000km)the reverse gives a big jolt and the "AT"code shows up on the screen.
    have you resolved the probleme? how to go about fixing this...?
    thanks
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    reverse gives a big jolt and the "AT"code shows up on the screen

Sounds like you need to take the car for a checkup at your local garage.

p.s. Mazda does not have a tiptronic, that's VW. Did you mean automatic transmission (AT)?
  • yoshi99yoshi99 Posts: 3
    I have same issue started about the same time as micks80. Took to mechanic hooked up to computer but no error codes. Waited until light came on again still no error code. Now light goes on while driving, car rides rough only when AT light on.

FYI, 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback does have an alternate tiptronic shift
    I have same year 2004 Mazda3 Hatchback with about 97,000 miles. Same problem started about 3 weeks ago. Now light comes on & goes off randomly. Had my mechanic check but no error codes. Waited for AT light to show and drove directly to him again with AT light on still no error code. Any resolution to your problem yet?
  • smadikesmadike Posts: 2
    for this probleme yes...it was an eletric probleme,error code dtc p0745 pression controle solenoide malfuntion.but i have another probleme 2 weeks later with my 3gears which doesn,t shift,i have to rebuilt the transmission.go to www.mazdaclub.net/mz3ws
  • mazbadmazbad Posts: 1
    I am having an overheating problem with my 09 Mazda 3, 5 door transmission. It will not shift to 5th gear when it is hot or outside temp is 106 F. I have been told by Mazda customer relations that this is normal and I should pull over and let it cool down. They call it a fail safe measure that the transmission has in it. There is no code for this problem so they are saying that it is normal. Is anyone experiencing this problem or can you tell me what my next step should be?
    FYI: Took car into dealership for "AT" dashboard light. Discussed all info received from this Forum after diagnostic test run. Required NEW TRANSMISSION, luckily I was still under my extended warranty with 2,600 miles to spare. For once it paid to buy it. Waiting to get car back.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    That sounds like a load of bullcrap! The inside of a manual transmission is designed to withstand much higher temps than 106F. I've owned nine vehicles over the last 19 years, all with manual transmissions and have never experienced any heat-related problems.

The idea of it NOT shifting into 5th as a fail-safe is illogical! Driving in 4th at highway speeds will put a lot more strain on the engine (running at higher rpm). I have a 2006 Mazda3 2.3L/5-speed manual and live in Atlanta. It gets close to 100F often during late summer and I've never had anything like this happen.

In addition to talking to others on this forum, I'd also suggest Mazda3Forums.com. There are a lot of helpful folks on that site including some Mazda service techs.
  • natwalnatwal Posts: 1
    Hi there. I have a 2008 Mazda 3 4 dr. automatic and my AT light came on today. Luckily I was within a half kilometer from a Mazda dealership. They have decided to replace my transmission. Luckily I am still under warranty.
  • boogaliuboogaliu Posts: 2
    My daughters Mazda 3 needs a new automatic transmission and it only has 45000 miles... Unlucky for us as the warranty expired. This automatic transmission also has a manual mode. Her boyfriend would only drive it in manual mode... could this be the cause of the transmission dying??
    Dealership wants $5000 to fix but felt bad that it died so early that they gave us a deal for $3500. Can anyone suggest a reliable transmission shop in the San Jose,Ca area?
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    There is a shop in Santa Clara (I think that's near San Jose, right?) called Rotorsport- LINK. According to several users on other Mazda3 forums, it's a reputable, honest shop. I'd definitely get a quote from them.

Another option, if you're trying to repair it as inexpensively as possible, is to find a used transmission on eBay. Just search "Mazda3 transmission" and you'll find quite a few. I know mechanics who would install one for $200 or less....you could end up spending less than $1000 if you're lucky! :)

Best of luck!
  • boogaliuboogaliu Posts: 2
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
    My daughters Mazda 3 needs a new automatic transmission and it only has 45000 miles... Unlucky for us as the warranty expired. This automatic transmission also has a manual mode. Her boyfriend would only drive it in manual mode... could this be the cause of the transmission dying??

An automatic transmission should last longer than 45K miles; at least double that distance. 2004 was the first year for the new 2.3 L Mazda3 engine, so you may want to do some research on whether others have had similar problems with their automatics (Consumer Reports may be one place to look). Have you raised the issue with the dealer and with the manufacturer, Mazda?

Driving it in manual mode should be okay. I wonder if the way it was driven in manual is the real source of the problem. Does her boyfriend have a history of burning out engines?
  • jzigjzig Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Mazda with 38,000 miles on it and the dealership told me it needs a new transmission, four dates out of warranty. Wished I had checked out this site before I decided to buy a mazda. Because 5000.00 is a lot of money for the replacement.
    2005 Mazda with 38,000 miles ... needs a new transmission ... out of warranty.

Did you buy the car in 2005 or 2004? I thought the expiry date for major components was 5 years.

How and when was the problem originally identified?

Were there any warning signs of the transmission problem identified in previous service visits?

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

Do you have a long relationship with the dealership?

Was most of the work done on your car done by the dealership?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Prior to 2007 model year Mazda warranty was 4 years for everything. For 2007 or later it is 5 years on power train, 3 years on everything else.
    Prior to 2007 model year Mazda warranty was 4 years for everything. For 2007 or later it is 5 years on power train, 3 years on everything else

Interesting, I wonder if it's different in the US and Canada. My 2002 Mazda Protege5 had a 5 year limited powertrain warranty (in Canada). Also, googling of "mazda warranty" shows a PDF from penneymazda (in Canada) of the same 5 year Mazda warranty for 2005 vehicles.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Must have been different in Canada. I found a reference to the 4 year for 2005:

http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/mazda/mazda3/warranty/index.html