Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exercise and Fitness

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Wow... if you need any further inspiration bryan... just look at what you just wrote.
    That's a wonderful and inspiring story. :)

I pretty much do what you do. Eat 2 or 3 small meals/snacks a day... then a regular sized dinner. Drink water instead of diet drinks, lift weights, walk... and play sports with my kids. I've been meaning to buy a bike and start biking. My youngest just learned to ride a bike.

I "tweaked" my back at work a few weeks ago. Sure made it difficult/painful to get in the car. Raising the seat up helped quite a bit.
  • bryanbryan Posts: 217
    Thanks for the encouragement; I too like to bike ride, but was much too hot this weekend to do that. That would have been my cardio this weekend, but I confess, the heat got to me and I was a slug. I did get out and walk for an hour late Saturday afternoon along the boardwalk at the beach. I was soaked, and once I got home, realized I had let myself get a little dehydrated. Won't do that again.

I feel your "pain" about the getting in/out of a car. Something as simple as sitting in the seat first with my legs still on the pavement, and then once seated, swinging in my legs, did the trick. I reverse it when I get out.

What I really miss is being able to hand wash and wax my cars; 20 minutes into it and I can hardly move. If I'm careful, I can go a little longer using a rolling seat that I use for gardening, but once I try and do the hood, trunk, and top of the car, forget about it! Stretching will help somewhat, but for the next couple of days of discomfort, not worth it. So, I have the dealer detail my cars at least once a year, so I don't feel so guilty about not doing it.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    Good for you, Bryan!

My husband and I have been "making lifestyle changes". I hate the word dieting. :) After getting a sobering kick in the pants from his doctor a few months ago, my husband has lost 25 pounds. A lot of it is simply through portion control and avoiding high fat and sugar, especially high fructose syrup. I never realized it is everywhere.

Exercise has been limited as he's recently had knee surgery, but got a new pup that needs walking several times a day, so I'm getting MY exercise.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Thanks Karen. I too made that "lifestyle" change. Once I get into eating clean, it's not so bad. Why oh why though do I crave animal crackers right now?

I've lost a little more than 15 pounds since the third week of March, and hope to shed five more over the next six weeks or so. I feel so much better, have more energy at this lighter weight.

I too got that sobering kick in the pants from my Doctor. I reduced my cholesterol (sp?) from 239 in October 2007 to 187 in May 2008, strictly through change in my eating "lifestyle". The good and bad numbers both changed for the better too. No more whole eggs, red meat, shell fish, but I don't miss that if I can stay off the pills. So far so good.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    I knew I shouldn't have come in here. I'm getting inspiration....

I'm on pills for at least three things that I am sure diet and exercise could eliminate - cholesterol, blood pressure and blood glucose.

Now I have a ton of health issues that are unrelated but I would bet that there's nothing that would prevent exercise. Some thing would be helped and others, well, at least my ability to cope and adjust would improve.
    I'm just not a pill person, period. It's funny all the ills that exercise will cure--especially the mental ones. ;)

People I work with don't understand that going to the gym before I come to work gets me energized for the whole day, both physically and mentally. I was basically a SLUG for the first 40 years of my life, but now I feel worse if I don't lift or do some type of cardio most days.

I've tried the after work exercise program, mid-day, and found that early morning (6am) is best for ME. I know folks who go after work, and that's best for them.

Keep coming back to this forum for inspiration; we're all in this struggle together. :D
    I'm just not a pill person, period. It's funny all the ills that exercise will cure--especially the mental ones.

I wasn't either. I remember going through my first year of college and never taking an aspirin. Genetics has caught up with me.

That said I pretty sure I could knock out about half the medication which would not only feel better but make traveling easier.
    Hit my original goal of 185 pounds yesterday on my home scale, which runs about 4 lbs. lighter than the one at the gym. WooHoo! I knew things were moving when I was able to go down one more notch on the belt.

I have a co-worker who told me last week that he's lost 25 pounds and that I was his inspiration. Talk about making my day, week, month, etc. He's a couple years older then me, and we've talked about working out and losing weight for the past couple of years. He joined a gym about six months ago, got with a personal trainer to get him a work out, cardio and here's the best part, a nutrition plan.

Here are his exact words "You were right, just getting started was the hardest part. And I never thought I'd say this to anyone, but when I miss a workout or cardio session, I feel guilty, and that gets me motivated." He's lost several inches from his waist, and no longer has a gut. He's so psyched, and I'm using that to keep me focused and motivated.

I still crave animal crackers...must stay strong.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Way to go bryan! ;)
    Great to hear!

I'm down 9 pounds - it's a start!
    Congrats Fezo--you've made it past the hard part--starting!

I feel off the wagon last night--on purpose--I ate an entire six-slice large pepperoni and mushroom pizza! It was good. No, it was very good! Good news, pants still fit. ;)

First "junk" since 3rd week of March. Last "junk' until October :cry:
    Hit 183.5 today! WooHoo. About 3 or so more pounds to go. I lost some ground when I had to fast, etc. before my first colonoscopy on July 25 (easy-peasy process, clean bill of health report!). My weight started free-falling so, after I had the graham crackers and coffee in recovery, I went home and ate a bowl of oatmeal!

Weighed less than before I went to the procedure. I have to watch when I diet that I don't lose too fast--I literally could see myself losing size (its a weight lifting/body building syndrome I've been told :shades: ), so, for the rest of that day and the weekend, I pretty much ate what I wanted to make sure my weight would stabalize. Oh boy, it did, at 187 lbs. the following Monday morning! And I felt great, and stronger than ever in the gym.

But, I got back on my clean eating regimen, and today my trainer gave me the good news--about three more pounds and that's it. It's funny how each person's metabolism works--when I first start my diet each spring, it seems like the scale doesn't want to move, and then bam, it starts.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    Congratulations! Although, I have to grumble. You guys can skip lunch and lose 5 pounds. We wimmin' folk have to exercise till we drop and eat nuthin' but celery to achieve the same results. :cry:

Yeah, it's funny about the differences between men and women and metabolism, hormones, etc. But as I've aged, it's not as easy for me to lose weight.

I can remember trying to gain weight as a teen/early 20's, and eating, eating, eating, and still weighed 150 lbs soaking wet at 6'. At the age of 42, the first day I picked up a free weight with my trainer, I weighed 155 lbs--five days later had lost five pounds! And yes, I was still eating, but I guess going from couch potato to gym warrior made a difference. ;)

The best part of all this "stuff" is that I feel better today (and body wise, look better) than I did oh so many years ago. It's become a lifestyle. Now, if I could only apply this same discipline to my chronic car looking/buying fever! :shades:
    Age is a funny thing.

Many years ago I was on a diet and mentioned to my mother that it was a lot harder to lose weight at 38 than it was at 26. Her reply was, "Try 70."
  • My husband has decided we need a treadmill. The dog and I usually do a daily 2 miler no matter what the weather, but as the days get shorter it's difficult to fit it in while there is still daylight. We hope to train the dog to use it also. Anyone have suggestions on a good brand that won't kill the pocketbook?

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    I hear that the NordicTrack's make the best clothes hangers. ;)
  • Excuse me?? It's going to be in the basement next to the laundry room, so it will be a clothes DRYING RACK. :P

• PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    I'll say this much... if you're actually going to use it, you might want to break the bank a bit. As hard as it is to believe, I've worn out a $300 exercise bike (about 6 months), a $700 treadmill (58 days), and a Nordic Track elliptical trainer (about 9 months). All of them failed under daily use, which is what I thought the point of getting them was. Silly me.

I did some real research into the treadmills (because I really liked that one the best) and until you get into the "commercial" type units, the drive systems aren't hefty enough to stand up to sustained daily use. (I was doing 5 miles minimum per day)

I was especially disappointed I was able to wear out the elliptical because of the reputation of NordicTrack

Maybe I'll stick to the weighted yoyos ;)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• Hey peeps, I am Daphney from Chicago. I've been very active as a teenager, sort of got off that in last 15 years. It's time to get back.