Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exercise and Fitness

Comments

• PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    I joined a local gym just after Thanksgiving as they had a special with no "processing fee" ($49) and Dec for free. $30/ month on a month to month basis after that and it's great. I can wear out someone else's equipment. I get to the gym virtually every day and I'm down close to 10 pounds in the first month.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    The local gym is doing a similar deal - $60 for 3 months (usually $40 a month). By April I'll be bored and ready to switch to a bike or something anyway. I dunno - it's cheap enough but it sure can get boring. Have to remember to take a book along.
  • One or two sessions with a trainer will definitely get rid of the boredom! :P

I walk 3-4 miles a day, also ride my bike weather permitting (its been good lately, but a bit windy).

For diet I use weightwatchers online, but I gave up for the holidays. About 2 lbs a week is really all you'd want to lose--it has to come off slowly.
    edited January 2011
    I had one half hour session with a trainer last year. Wound up with a small hernia and plantar fasciitis.

I think I may just call this one in. :P
  • was this an animal trainer? Poor guy---LOL!
    Ahhhh... nice start to the year... an hour on whatever-the-heck the machine was at the gym.

Time for a nap :P

PFFlyer@Edmunds

OK... over a year and 60 pounds later...

I MAY be ready to declare the gym experiment a success :P

PFFlyer@Edmunds

edited February 2012
    Good for you!

I'm still down 30 just from cutting sugar out. Not hitting the gym except for a yoga class now and then. Five more pounds would be nice but I may be stuck at this weight; 10 pounds more than my college weight in '73.
    If I can find another 20 pounds, I'll be at my 7th grade weight!

I'm actually not that concerned with my weight now. It will be what it will be, but I've gone down 6 " in pants size (soon to be 8 I think) XL shirts are WAY too big on me and even L (grandes) are starting to sag a bit.

I was running a 5 miler the other day and the feeling came over me that I could finish a marathon if I put my mind to it. Crazy talk right??

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• Yep crazy if you don't want to blow out your knees. You aren't 21 anymore. Game's over. Put away the jersey, break out a beer. :P

Just kidding. I was thinking of doing a century (100 mile) bike ride this summer. But no more jogging. You really really NEED your knees as you get older, more than (just about) any other body part.
  • Good for you! I'm impressed...and envious. I've dropped approximately 25 myself and would like to get rid of another 20. I've been on a plateau for some time now and quit weighing because it was too depressing. Been doing the gym 3-4 times a week and the usual 2-mile daily walk-run with the dog.

I'm going to be doing the Warrior Dash the first part of June with my son and his friends. Attended as a spectator last year and it was so much fun I decided I would try it as a participant. :shades:

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

When I was about 6 months into going to the gym, I decided to take the bike out for a ride, just to see if I was getting in real shape or if it was just "machine shape" if that makes any sense.

It was shortly after the Indy500 times trials and I was really intrigued by the fact that they didn't qualify using their highest gear, but ran at a higher RPM. I suppose the theory is more torque/power to the wheels and faster recovery to speed out of the corners. In any event, I decided that I was going out for a ride, and was going to try to maintain a tempo with the pedals rather than worrying about being in top gear. The only limit I was putting on myself was that if it felt like I was approaching half of what I was going to be able to do, I was going to turn back for home. Well, when I hit 20 miles and felt like I could go forever, I rethought that decision and decided to go tour around for another hour or so. I wound up doing a 35 mile cruise over all sorts of terrain and I think I could have gone all day if I felt like it.
    And you're right. Knees are important. With the weight loss and increased strength in my legs, my knees have never felt better. I don't run outside on the roads though. I'll do the treadmill or indoor track surface to cushion the impact.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• A good friend used to race bicycles competitively, and he gave me some good advice.

Keep your RPM(cadence) at 80, with bursts of 100 every 5 minutes, for about 30-45 seconds.

If you feel too much strain in your legs or knees, DOWNSHIFT! He said speed is not important, cadence is.

I followed that advice when I went to lose weight, and it was amazing how much longer I could go by following these rules. Plus, I lost a BUNCH of weight... :)
    I use the same strategy on the stationary bike, alternating higher resistance and a cadence of 75-80 with lower resistance and 95-100

And don't forget to pedal standing once in a while for "saddle relief" :shades:

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• Well that's great---I have a pretty heavy mountain bike with knobby-ish tires, so 35-40 miles and I'm pretty tuckered. If I did a 100-miler, no way on a mountain bike. I'd have to get either a road bike or one of those thin-tire, flat bar, lighter hybrids. I like the Cannondale "Bad Boy". Also these new mono-fork bikes look interesting.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Hey PF, another year and a half has gone by, has the weight stayed off? Anyone else care to report? You guys still ripped?
    I'm back up to 172ish, but still 20 pounds down from my high. Funny that I gain in the summer.
    I'm thinking of opening a food shop for state fair type of foods. I.e popcorn, snow cones, elephant ears, elephant noses, brats, doughnut burgers, cotton candy, fudge, cheese fries,etc etc. All I need is a good name. How you like " Blue Ribbon Better Than Fair Foods", or "Great State Fair Treats and Eats", or maybe something that's more of an attention getter,"Heart Attack in 60 Days or Your Money Back". Come up with something I can use and its free corndawgs for a week. Thx.
  • bryanbryan Posts: 217
    Hey Jip: It's been a few years since I last posted here. I'm still at 185 and holding. I'm still lifting 4 times a week and doing cardio at least 4 days as well.

I started spinning classes about three years ago, and loved it, until I bought special biking shoes and tweaked my right leg pretty good. Found out the shoes were not for me. After taking six months off any strenuous cycling coupled with using the foam roller (worst pain I can remember), I'm back cycling with no pain.

I'll be 60 in December. I look and feel better now than any other time in my life. Retiring at 56 didn't hurt either.
    Sounds good Bryan, congrats. I've dropped a few pounds, hope to drop a few more. I 've been playing a lot of tennis lately. They have a "fast feed" program at the tennis club I belong to. It's a great. cardio workout while running thru various tennis drills with a pro. Hard to stay with weight training as it bores me, but plan to start in incorporating weights into my fitness program.