Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Stock Market and Investing

Comments

• ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    edited April 2013
    Tony,

This is the new S-class captured during road testing. It probably goes on sale in December. The two cars I am very interested in are the 2 door coupe version of this and of course the SL, which my wife and I always coveted. A local dealer has a pristine 2011 SL which I can get for $74K. It has only 22K miles on it and is very tempting. It's in white and stunning. The S coupe will replace the CL550. Per edmunds the new S will have a 9 speed transmission and aluminum conmponents to get better gas mileage. I'm already getting better gas mileage in my car than I got in the LS in local and local highway driving. At first I got terrible mileage but the car needed to get a thousand miles under it and then the MPG really increased.

S-class, second link has a lot of photos of both exterior and interior dashboard. Beautiful car and I especially like the rear.

http://www.carsdirect.com/2014/mercedes-benz/s550

http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-12q3/466924/2014-mercedes-benz-s-class-photo-- 508034

This is both the new S and the variant S coupe. The latter is about 18-24 months out though.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q4/48- - 5192/2015-mercedes-benz-s-class-coupe-artists-rendering-photo-485199-s-1280x782.- - jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-12q4/485192/2015-mercedes-benz-- - s-class-coupe-artists-rendering-photo-485199&h=782&w=1280&sz=132&tbnid=QErJIJHN6- - mTzwM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=121&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmercedes%2Bs%2Bcoupe%2B2014%26tbm%3Di- - sch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=mercedes+s+coupe+2014&usg=__slipBaARJzNLySLI8NOMnrqEVmQ=&- - docid=DgIQT7VAlzI9PM&sa=X&ei=jUleUdSxJa7D4APo-IH4BQ&ved=0CEQQ9QEwAQ&dur=212
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Len

Like we last discussed, I am going to wait until I personally see the s class...This is the first photo I have seen of the cl replacement, and to my eye it looks really nice...Just my opinion, but I would wait til the new two door s comes out, then make your next decision....I think it will make the old one look very out dated, and there a world of them out there ....I also think the a8 is coming next year with a fairly large facelift.....These cars are too expensive to be changing too quickly....I am still pleased with the old a 8 I was born with, it seems so long ago...It has changed, but not so much that it looks dated

I put Zano on the car when it was new, and it looks just like it did back then...There is something in it that really makes the paint hold a shine...I`d do your car with it now :)

Well I guess you are a new owner of aapl, and I hope it does better for you than Charlie and myself....although Charlie is doing fine....the `kid`and I are suffering :) Tony
    I'm going to rule out the CL550. If I went that route I'd rather wait for the S coupe. There are great deals though on the SL this month and I may well lease one. That body style is locked in until 2021. My wife and I love that car and always wanted one.

Wish I knew what the heck is going on with Apple. I sold 80% of my shares at $450 and then put in a buy for 500 shares at $425 that just missed triggering earlier this week. I figured I would play the game the hedge funds play of buying and selling. The other day when I saw this pre-owned SL I kept the share price in place but cut the number of shares from 500 to 250. Today the buy triggered.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,284
    Well I guess you are a new owner of aapl, and I hope it does better for you than Charlie and myself....although Charlie is doing fine....the `kid`and I are suffering

Well Tony. I am not really doing fine. On one of my E-Trade accounts, I am actually showing a little bit of a loss now since I did some back and forth trading back in 2011 and took in some small profits. Now, my average price is about $432. On the IRA account I am ahead more than $10K since my average price on that account is down below $380. My 2 accounts with the broker are slightly ahead, but the way things are going with AAPL, I'll be losing soon on those. I am pretty depressed about it considering how much I was making when AAPL was trading at $700. I am done with making predictions on this stock and I try not to look at that much any more.
    Here is an interesting story from Forbes. The sentence that caught my eye was this : "A report issued a week ago, but largely overlooked, suggests that the Apple’s tablet market share in China may now be over 80%."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnshaughnessy/2013/04/06/the-real-meaning-behind-- apples-apology-to-china/?partner=yahootix
    That`s still a fairly nice cost basis, but I sure wish it were lower for you.....I was just thinking of my own experiences over the years, and I unfortunately really haven`t made any substantial money except for the really long term, like fifteen twenty years...That was all done in the banking industry....

I`v been in the junk high yielding market for the last five or six years, right after the big crash, and have had a sheltered life :) started with them when they were yielding more than fifteen percent, and they pay out every month...I`v sold some of them along the way, to purchase other assets, but now an getting concerned that this investment is getting long in the tooth....

I have said in the past that by following aapl I have not kept my eyes opened enough to see other really good opportunities ...I mentioned one jpm when it was in the lower thirties, and although I understand your feelings for that bank, never the less it was and may again be something to keep an eye on...

I am getting a bit jaded with single stock buys, and I may go the way with stock etf. It`s so hard to pull away from something like aapl as I really think their products are the best, and no other single stock offers such a situation...but unfortunately I really don`t think they are stock holder friendly....We`l see in a few weeks what they do about the dividend, but they do have a long term memory, and know they will be called upon to do something dramatic next year...year...so they probably will just have a modest increase...That may already be baked into the stock right now.......Not a fun thing for me....Tony
    edited April 2013
    Tony,

I'm about to pull the trigger on an MB SL550. The deals MB is doing on that car are phenomenal (it's their annual April sales event) and a local dealer is trying to steal me from another dealer. They are quoting me $1375 per month on a brand new $119K SL with zero down. That is actually $55 a month cheaper than Lexus was giving me on an $88K LS 460. They also gave me a price of 1400-1420 on a car with a designo interior in a color I like. I havent't even met them. All this is simply over the phone after I expressed interest in the 2 year old SL with 22K miles. The SL is a car my wife and I always wanted and at this stage of my life it's well within affordability so I see myself making a deal on Tuesday when I meet the rep I talked on the phone with. He lives in my area and would actually take my car and leave his with me (an E-class) whenever I needed service or wanted the car washed.
    although the deal cost fifty thousand for three years, you could loose that in a matter of weeks in stocks....Who knows :) You really get good deals, and deserve them....Tony ps Good service is an important consideration to me.....The guy I talk with at the Audi dealership is very difficult to even get to talk about a deal...more or less a good one...
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,677
    That's a decent deal with 0 down, and I bet you could get a little cheaper, too. Makes one wonder how huge the margins on such vehicles might be, when they can sell them at such prices - must be a huge markup. Probably not a bad time to negotiate on a new S or E as well - my local dealer just received a handful of new Es, even though the 2014 should be here within a month. Will make the 2013s a real bargain.
    Len,

I forgot. Did you trade in your LS for the S, or do you still own the LS? When I am ready to buy/lease a new car I want to have you negotiate my deal. :) I am too soft. If the LS is already gone, which car are you trading in for the SL? I'm glad you are getting the 2013 SL by the way instead of the one that's 2 years old.
    edited April 2013
    I got out of my LS lease a few months early. What triggered my whole situation was an early termination offer from Lexus. I'm not trading anything in for the SL. It'll just be a third car for me and a toy car at that.

Fintail - not easy to push for too low a price because the SL's are selling like hotcakes in this area right now. Dealer has a diamond white with designo sand interior and he wasn't sure if it was spoken for or not. I'll know tomorrow. It has the amg sport option, distronic, and all options except ABC and magic sky.
    Makes sense yes, with the SL still being pretty new.

Nice colors there - I don't know if I have ever seen a magic sky here. My local dealer gets a lot of AMG models, which might not fly off the shelf at 160K+.
    Magicc sky, the bang-olufson radio and ABC are almost always reserved to custom ordered cars. It's really rare that you get a car with any of those options shipped to a dealer. They are all overkill to what is already excellent options or standard equipment on MB cars. You do get designo cars shipped to the dealer though, particularly designo interiors. The magno cashmere white designo exterior color though is a pain in the neck color. It has a matte finish that needs to be hand washed. The diamond white is such a beautiful metallic white that IMO it almost can't be improved upon.
    I've seen a b&o car with the weird little speakers didn't get me going as I don't see the value in it. The standard equipment we get on these cars is good compared to how the cars base in Europe, for sure.

I am not a fan of matte finishes either - actually more difficult to maintain than a normal car, and I think it is a fad.
    The dealer has two cars that are stunning. Actually every SL they have is stunning. But the two that appeal to me the most are a designo graphite with a platinum white interior and a diamond white with a tuscany beige interior. The Designo colors are very rich and so is the diamond white. The designo graphite is a color similar to the Lexus smoky granite color but is richer because it has blue and teal metallics mixed in. It goes spectacularly with the platinum white interior. It's either different than the E-class version n the link below or that car was photographed under light that really changed its appearance. The interior designo colors are really represnted well on the link below vs how they appear in person. If I prepay the lease it works out to $1325 a month including all fees on one car and $1340 amonth on the slightly more expensive designo graphite. Both cars have identical options outside of the designo paint upgrade. They sticker at $123-125K. These are 0 down leases. Basically the dealer is giving me invoice plus a grand. The prepayment is a real nice discount to spreading the lease payments. I have some pix on my phone that I'll try and post later. The car is a phenomenal piece of technology. Here's a link to the MB designo site.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/design/designo
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2013
    The cars sound spectacular but on the cusp of the newer year model I would think you could do invoice or slightly below.
    My mistake. He gave me $5K dealer cash so it's actually at $4K under dealer invoice.
    That was fun for me just to look at the Designo section .....What color is Tusciny Beige? It sounds really nice....I`m going to look again and see if I can call it up...I personally like a lighter colored interior, with a wood looking like maple, birch, etc...My car has Sycamore, and I have never tired of it to this day....A fun choice and time you are having :) Tony
    edited April 2013
    Scroll down the site and you'll see the SL interior colors. The tuscany beige is one of the interior colors. The leather on the designo series cars is like no leather I ever saw before.

Here's a pix of the diamond white and tuscany beige interior. The carpetting, dash and part of the sides are black.

http://tinypic.com/r/20r5udl/6

<a href="http://tinypic.com?ref=2n9zyvo
    Very stunning Len! You've worked very hard over the years and your deserve this "toy".
    edited April 2013
    Here's the graphite with platinum white/black interior

http://tinypic.com/r/2zt905t/6

http://tinypic.com/r/2e2ed5z/6

A shot of the diamond white

http://tinypic.com/r/1z2kr44/6

http://tinypic.com/r/11c432t/6

Both cars

http://tinypic.com/r/29lcso0/6

BTW - both colors are limited edition. The graphite needs to be seen in person to really appreciate it and is spectacular with the platinum white interior. The white with tuscany is as classic as it gets. This MB dealer really specializes in high end MB's. He had a few S-class designos as well and the cars the owner owns are unbelievable. I will try to snap some photos of them when I go back on Thursday. He must have a dozen of the most classic cars you'll ever see. He also had a few SL65's that were already sold.

Any thoughts on the color combos?
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,894
    They both look great, but I prefer the diamond white classic. The grey color may lose something in photos and I have never particularly liked white interiors. The tuscany interior looks great.

Tough choice ! :) Keep us posted.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

edited April 2013
    Tuscany beige pearl from the designo site. In person it's noticably brighter than this and not as orangy. It's very striking with the black carpet, dashboard and black door inserts. Leather is gorgeous. The car has burl walnut wood but the designo site has the black ash wood paired with the tuscany color.

http://tinypic.com/r/2a9blvd/6

Platinum white - very good representation of what it really looks like. I'm afraid of soiling it with jeans. It's also beautiful with the black contrasts. But I like the burl wood over the black ash wood.

http://tinypic.com/r/2d8mjp2/6

I'm leaning toward the diamond white and tuscany interior. It has a real italian design flair and I hardly see an SL in white. I see a lot of them in black, silver and designo mocha black (which is a brownish black). I also have never seen one in graphite. I've seen them in the standard gray and in a shadow gray which is similar to the graphite but not as rich.

Re Apple - I think the stock has bottomed. I bought back the shares I missed out on last week at $430.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2013
    They are indeed beautiful choices. I know I speak for myself and most others here that since we are all auto enthusiasts, we are living this vicariously through you, so please continue to keep us informed. We also wish you much enjoyment and safe motoring with whatever is your ultimate choice.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,962
    I'm leaning toward the diamond white and tuscany interior.

That would be my color choice. If I bought a beauty like that I would only take on trips out on back country roads. I would be afraid to take it where people might open a door into it. Just keep it in the garage with a dust cover. I saw one this morning and they are strikingly beautiful.
    Hi Len----I like the white with the Tuscany---just my preference, and really either would be great.....I`v always liked white or a color that doesn`t show road (farm) dirt....Dark colors are alot of trouble to keep clean....Tony sure enjoy the `dreaming` :)
    I like the graphite - I remember seeing a designo graphite W211 E55 AMG that made me drool, but the color is just dark enough to be a pain in the butt to keep clean. For maintenance, and maybe what some thing is extra class, the white might work better.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,372
    MS might be relatively close to a huge change...

Instead of a mishmash of systems out there using outdated Microsoft software with glaring compatibility issues, "Blue" could ensure that Microsoft's own products evolve at the same rate as the rest of the tech world.

If this is starting to sounds a lot like how Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) and Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) do business, that's intentional.

But Microsoft's plan may be even better than anything Apple or Google currently have to offer. If -- and it's still a lofty if -- there's a shred of validity to rumors that Microsoft will merge the Windows and Windows Phone platforms, "Blue" could end up being a huge deal. Dissolving the barrier between mobile and desktop would be nothing short of impressive.

At long last, Microsoft has an Apple-beating vision
    edited April 2013
    I know what you mean Tony. The white with designo Tuscany has a real italian flair. The graphite needs to be seen in person to appreciate it. Like Fin noted, it can knock your eyes out with the striking metalics it has embedded in the overall graphite color. It's really a one of a kind look. The only thing about the white is that I already have two white vehicles and the S 550 is the same diamond white. The compliments though that we get on the S 550 are incredible. Now another complication. The dealer has a white with designo sand interior that became available. The person that was buying that opted for a mocha black instead. So now my sales guy is holding all three cars for me and I'm waiting for him to shoot me an e-mail pix of the third car. The designo site made the tuscany interior look too orangy vs reality so I want to see the sand color on the showroom.
    No question you have to look with your own eyes to actually see what something looks like....When we were getting my wife`s Mercedes estate wagon, they had one that looked really nice, but once we got in it the BLACK headliner was poor----for our eyes--changed the whole complexion of the car, and we would not have been happy in the long run.....I agree the Designo Tuscany was a bit yellow in the picture...If it looked like that in real life, it would just have to be your call---it`s either pretty for you or not :)

I know what you are talking about with the graphite...It looks much better in person than a photo...Hope all works out to your satisfaction, and just because you may end up with two white, or three, YOU would only be in one at a time....On second thought it may be too many white ones....The gray one may fill the bill particularly if you dont use it all the time in rain and sludge :) Tony