Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Stock Market and Investing

Comments

• cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,257

@gagrice said: Sounds great. I followed a new S550 this morning on the Freeway for several miles. There is a reason MB sold more cars in the USA last year than any of the other Luxury brands. They are winning back customers they lost 20 years ago to Lexus.

I bet that this new generation of the S550 will crush all the competitors in terms of sales. There is nothing like it and the pricing is incredible for what you get. I would have never believed as recently as a couple years ago that I would switch from Lexus to Mercedes. But it took this 2014 S550 to do the job. My Lexus dealer will be totally stunned when they find out what I did.

@carnaught said: Cyclone, great car, congrats.

Mercedes is making the comeback with good deals, great safety and other features, and probably the best looking current luxury carline. Merc1 would indeed be proud.

Thanks for your good wishes carnaught. I can't wait until this car arrives. It will be so awesome driving it both in the city and on long trips.

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,917
    edited January 24

Ooh, I am jealous. Congrats! I sat in one of those last weekend - it's amazing. It's like a car of the future. Makes the 7er/A8/LS look a decade old, and to add to what you mention, seems closer to a Bentley than the others. The interior is fantastic, the feel of the switchgear and dash is unbelievable. It's like most of the old Maybach for 30% the cost. Huge jump from the already nice W221. E is also selling well, CLA is a home run, upcoming C will be too. Good time to be a MB dealer.

@cyclone4 said: SHOCKING News!! Too bad Merc1, TagMan and a few others are not around on this site any more. Yours truly, who was probably THE most loyal Lexus advocate has done the unthinkable. I have ordered a 2014 S550. Yes, you heard this right.

Here is a link to the Online brochure. The car on the very first page so happens to be the exterior color (iridium silver) that I ordered. Maybe this will get TagMan to show up here again.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/brochures/2014-S-Class.pdf

edited January 24

@fintail said: Ooh, I am jealous. Congrats! I sat in one of those last weekend - it's amazing. It's like a car of the future. Makes the 7er/A8/LS look a decade old, and to add to what you mention, seems closer to a Bentley than the others. The interior is fantastic, the feel of the switchgear and dash is unbelievable. It's like most of the old Maybach for 30% the cost. Huge jump from the already nice W221. E is also selling well, CLA is a home run, upcoming C will be too. Good time to be a MB dealer.

Thanks fintail! Yes, I also thought it is the car of the future. That's what I have been telling friends and relatives. On my test drive in KC yesterday, i tested the new distronic feature and yes it drove itself in city streets. The automatic stopping and accelerating in stop and go situations was very smooth. I encourage the folks on this forum to go to mbusa.com and check out the quality, engineering, and the incredible features of the "futuristic" car. By the way, mine is the 4Matic. No more RWD for me. The EPA estimates on this car is very conservative. I know that Len has the 2013 S550 and he says the gas mileage is a little better than the LS on the highway. I average between 26 and 29 on the highway with my LS and its only rated at 24. This new S is more efficient than the previous generation. and is rated at 26. I bet I will be getting 30 mpg on the highway with this. The engine turns off when the car comes to a stop and turns on (you don't even hear the engine it's so quiet) as soon as the break is released. That, right there saves fuel. I imagine I will average about 19 in the city.

So many features come standard on this car. For example, the windshield washer fluid squirts out of tiny holes in the wipers which by the way are heated. In wet conditions, the adaptive braking technology (among other duties) with automatically brake drying applies the brakes just enough to sweep the water build-up in the discs. You would need to look up in more detail what some of these standard features do, but there are torque vectoring breaks, attention assist, collision prevention assist, adaptive high beam assist, Wi-Fi hot spot in the car, etc., etc. (and many other standard and amazing features too numerous to mention). When some optional features are added, you have yourself a car from the future.

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569

Cyclone, out of curiosity, did you buy or lease?

edited January 24

@carnaught said: Cyclone, out of curiosity, did you buy or lease?

I have not paid them yet for obvious reasons, but I will very likely buy instead of lease. There is a small chance I will go with a one payment lease. I need to discuss some of this with my CPA and my wife. I'm the kind of a person that hates to be owing any money for any reason. I don't like monthly payments.

edited January 24

I see the stock market has tanked the past couple days. That's not helping Apple but at least AAPL closed higher yesterday when the Dow was on its rear. The market needed a correction so the powers that are, could use China and the Argentine peso as excuses. This is a great buying opportunity in my opinion. I have been and continue to be very bullish the stock market for the long term. It's too difficult to look back and find the post, but I am pretty sure I said sometime early in 2013 that the Dow would top the 16,000 level in 2013. I am now of the opinion that we will see the Dow above 17,500 in 2014.

Obviously, yesterday Apple was helped by Icahn and the strong rumors of a larger screen iPhone coming out by September.

• anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857

@cyclone4 said: I see the stock market has tanked the past couple days. That's not helping Apple but at least AAPL closed higher yesterday when the Dow was on its rear. The market needed a correction so the powers that are, could use China and the Argentine peso as excuses. This is a great buying opportunity in my opinion. I have been and continue to be very bullish the stock market for the long term. It's too difficult to look back and find the post, but I am pretty sure I said sometime early in 2013 that the Dow would top the 16,000 level in 2013. I am now of the opinion that we will see the Dow above 17,500 in 2014.

Obviously, yesterday Apple was helped by Icahn and the strong rumors of a larger screen iPhone coming out by September.
    Good news for you Charlie, and exciting times for sure....A wonderful car for sure, and that is what I would have gotten if it came with the electrical drive....They say they will introduce it this year, and as I mentioned I took a two year lease for the Ford, which I am very pleased with....I never see any mention of it, but I seem to be getting well above fifty mpg all the time, and rarely fill up unless it is a road trip....I think a lease--one payment--is a very easy way to go..

Im with you on the market, and further think we have a couple of years of good times....Im positioning for it.....Tony :-)

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,779

Congrats cyclone! Great car. Since there are 2 Benz dealers in the KC area, which one did you use?

I am still stuck on Lexus, but the LS really hasn't changed much since 2007...and they had better get to work or Mercedes will eat their lunch.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

@houdini1 said: Congrats cyclone! Great car. Since there are 2 Benz dealers in the KC area, which one did you use?

I am still stuck on Lexus, but the LS really hasn't changed much since 2007...and they had better get to work or Mercedes will eat their lunch.

Thanks houdini! I am doing business with Aristocrat in KC.

@anthonyp said: Im with you on the market, and further think we have a couple of years of good times....Im positioning for it.....Tony :-)

Great minds think alike Tony :D .

As far as the car is concerned, I obviously gave this a lot of thought. Finally, I said to myself, "I only live once"! I just cannot believe that I am paying the same price for this "futuristic", incredibly safe, so fun to drive car, as I would if I were to buy the new LS.

• anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857

@cyclone4 said: As far as the car is concerned, I obviously gave this a lot of thought. Finally, I said to myself, "I only live once"! I just cannot believe that I am paying the same price for this "futuristic", incredibly safe, so fun to drive car, as I would if I were to buy the new LS.

You have always had a great spirit, and I agree with you, to enjoy yourself....As a further compliment , you have certainly perked things up on this board, and shown to all that a positive attitude pays off We live in a great country and have a great future, no matter what :-) , although you and I have only expressed this a couple of thousand times Tony

Did you also get the ventilation system that allows atomized scents to be spread through the system (I don't recall the name, in German it is "beduftung")? The car I sat in had that. Distronic is a very tempting option on any of the cars, as it is usually packaged with the other nannies and warnings. There are a few things I want on any new MB - adaptive lights for sure, maybe pano roof too. I think hitting 30mpg is capable with relaxed driving, upper 20s are certainly within easy reach - amazing for a big car. You'll have to share some pics when the weather is good and the car is looking nice. And the gauge screens in that car are amazing, huge, another futuristic piece. These are the cars that pioneer what normal cars see in 10-20 years.

Speaking of the markets, I had a few free minutes today, and rebalanced my 401K, as it seemed maybe too conservative. I am sure that will put a damper on the incessant and unsustainable upward trend.

@cyclone4 said:

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,779

Well fin, this was a very good day to buy stocks, especially if you bought late in the day. A good day to own stocks....not so much. :(

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,680

@cyclone4 said:

How does Mercedes get 89 more HP and 169 more ft lbs of torque out a an engine smaller thant the Lexus? At lower RPMs using less of that Premium Fuel. Amazing technology. I think Mercedes is the World leader on engine technology both gas and diesel.

edited January 25

@fintail said: Did you also get the ventilation system that allows atomized scents to be spread through the system (I don't recall the name, in German it is "beduftung")? The car I sat in had that. Distronic is a very tempting option on any of the cars, as it is usually packaged with the other nannies and warnings. There are a few things I want on any new MB - adaptive lights for sure, maybe pano roof too. I think hitting 30mpg is capable with relaxed driving, upper 20s are certainly within easy reach - amazing for a big car. You'll have to share some pics when the weather is good and the car is looking nice. And the gauge screens in that car are amazing, huge, another futuristic piece. These are the cars that pioneer what normal cars see in 10-20 years.

Fintail, I did order it with the Air Balance Package. This purifies the air and is especially fantastic for those people with allergies. The fragrance atomizer works in conjunction with the Air Balance package and it comes with 4 different types of Mercedes fragrances. A vile is place in a spot in the glove compartment and it somehow slowly releases it into the cabin with the Air Balance system.

The adaptive lights (including adaptive high beams) come standard and so does the panoramic roof, soft closing doors, folding mirrors, and many, many other standard features.

I am pretty certain that I will get 30 mpg on the highway since this is more efficient than the previous generation. Honestly, I believe this car is going to hurt the sales of the LS, BMW 7 Series, and the Audi 8 tremendously. Why would anyone want to now buy the high end LS when one can get so many more amazing features on the S550 for about the same price? As I stated before, I never thought, I would ever reach this point.

Maybe you misunderstood this. I will not have the car until mid March. But when I get it, you can rest assure that I will post some photos here.

edited January 25

@anthonyp said: You have always had a great spirit, and I agree with you, to enjoy yourself....As a further compliment , you have certainly perked things up on this board, and shown to all that a positive attitude pays off We live in a great country and have a great future, no matter what :-) , although you and I have only expressed this a couple of thousand times Tony

Wow Tony! Thanks so much for the compliments. Yes, we certainly do live in a great country.

Oh yeah I misread - got excited. Well, when you get the car, feel free to show it off :)

Adaptive lights are optional on E and below. They were a must-have when I was shopping. If I am buying a MB, new or used, I want those few things. I am picky.

It'll be interesting to see how the competition answers to this car. I haven't heard of any awesome advancements in the other luxobarges. MB has owned the segment globally since it existed, looks like it will continue.

@cyclone4 said: *

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,258

Best of Luck Charlie! Hope Len makes some comments on his experience with his MB's!

I made my rebalance after noon on Friday - I missed out on the dip. Of course, with me going just a little riskier, that might not end. Although my little holding hasn't fared poorly, I sometimes feel like I have missed out on some gains. Still not high risk, but a little more than before. As I have at least 25 years before even contemplating retirement and probably closer to 30 before doing it, I guess I can tolerate it.

The Vanguard fund I started with old car money is up over 10% in under a year, and I didn't want that one to be risky as it is potential car money if I don't lease again. I am pleased.

@houdini1 said: Well fin, this was a very good day to buy stocks, especially if you bought late in the day. A good day to own stocks....not so much. :(