Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the Theaters

Comments

• " she doesn't know a baseball from a football."

Neither do some of the major league teams' infield players. :P
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yes, it was a small theatre in downtown DC that tends to show indy films. The theatre was PACKED! Sold out, and this is several weeks after the release, so you know it's getting great buzz.
    edited September 2011
    I'm hoping to see that film next.

My wife is opening her horizons a bit, I guess she tired of romantic comedies (I know I have!).
  • Remember that Seinfeld episode where the girls and guys go to the movies, and at the ticket office they split up...the women go through the door marked "The Muted Heart" and the guys go see something like..."Exterminator IV" or some such...pretty funny.
    When the kids are older I can *totally* imagine doing that.
    Touching film based on a true story, which makes it all the more appealing. They didn't sugar-coat it, despite the fact that it's a comedy, mostly. A lot of brutally honest moments that I really liked.

Loved it and my wife did too. Bring a friend or a date, either will like it.
    Mixed feelings about this one. We liked parts of it, but there are some gaping holes in the plot, inconsistencies. They seem to go for too many politician cliches, also.

What do you expect when the same guy who plays President also directs the film? Clooney's better when someone else directs.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Great in the beginning. Thought it would rank up there as one of decades best. Slowed down and soured towards the middle. Picked back up and rode it to the finish line with several opportunies to take the lead, but faltered down the stretch. Still 3 "jip" stars.
    Didn't meet expectations. Too all over the place, and very anti-climatic towards the end.

Disappointing.
    Good one, not the usual role for Clooney but he thrives. Wife and I both gave it a thumbs up.
    Not for the faint of heart, and some scenes are down right disturbing, but the movie was fantastic, best in recent memory.

It's almost like 3 movies rolled in to one. Pay close attention, the character plots are interesting.
  • I thought i was well done, but very disturbing.

I already knew in my head about the abuse towards blacks in the south, but this really brought it home to me.

5 stars!
    We liked it, too.

FWIW we have a nanny but the whole time she was with us she had health care and I paid all the taxes, more than you might imagine:

* worker's comp
    * state unemployment
    * federal unemployment
    * health care
    * social security (her share and mine)
    * medicare (her share and mine)

I have no idea why you would bring someone in to your house to watch your kids and not make sure they are motivated and happy. :shades:
  • We waited for The Debt to come out on DVD. Looked like a good one, with a great cast. The first 30 minutes moved so slowly and lacked any elements to intrigue me. We turned it off.

On the other hand, Friends with Benefits, which we picked up out of sheer desperation, was a lot better than expected and turned out to be a quite enjoyable, if unsubstantial, movie.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Not as keen as you on The Descendants. George Clooney really needs to stop being George Clooney in every movie. It was an interesting movie in that every character is completely unlikable. :P Also a very sappy ending.
  • Simply brilliant. :)
  • lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,676
    George Clooney is not an actor so much as he is a movie star. People want to see Clooney playing Clooney. I don't but apparently everyone else does.

If you want an actor, there are people like Gary Oldman available.
  • Or Nicholas Cage.

(I almost couldn't keep myself from choking on my own giggles as I posted that.)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I know what you mean, but in that case, check out Up In The Air. For once he's the underdog.
  • Didn't see that one...I can only stand one Clooney film a year.