Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the Theaters

1121314151618»

Comments

• I just need one...

Oh Brother, where art Thou?

I love that movie....

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• That WAS a good movie but man, it was the soundtrack!

Anyone seen THE GREY?

I was thinking of checking out that new Glenn Close movie, where she impersonates a man, but it got fairly stinky reviews (ALBERT NOBBS)
  • I love a good horse story and Spielberg did a credible job converting from stage to screen, but the play is far more impressive.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    ...okay.

Good:

The Avengers - I'm not a big fan of Marvel characters and only knew about Iron Man and the Hulk, but my husband and son thought it was great.

Hunger Games - I wouldn't have read the book, but several of the teens I work with in a theatre program were so enamored with it I decided to give it a chance. It's definitely written for 16-year-old girls in mind, but it wasn't horrible like "Twilight". (Don't get me started on that one.)
    I thought the film was a good adaptation of the book. I think they did a better job than the Potter series did, however, HG isn't nearly as complicated as Potter.

Not so good:

Dark Shadows - I was hoping this one would be at least entertaining, but bleah.

Prometheus - Okay, I haven't seen this one, but friend saw it in iMax. Story? Not so great, but any film in iMax is amazing, so says he.

What's next? I'm hoping to get some time to see Rock of Ages. Hope it's good.

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,675
    We loved The Avengers as well! It was well done, and even though my tolerance for long movies is low, there weren't any slow parts and the story was well-written enough to keep my attention. That's probably the first movie we've seen in a year in the theater - we have a 100" screen in the basement and the popcorn is cheaper there, so we usually wait unless it's a must-see on big screen. I'd say Avengers was worth it.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    A 100" screen??!! And in your basement?! You must be able to count the nose hairs on every actor! :P

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I also have a projector in the basement, 110" here.

Your neck gets sore watching tennis, because your head swings side to side. :D
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,869
    We have a 52" LCD in the basement.... but, my teenager never lets me come down there.. ;)

So, 36" tube upstairs...

I let my wife talk me into a nice new sofa up there, so I'm due for an HD upgrade.. coming soon!

• michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    Dark Shadows - thought it was going to be a bit funnier than it was. Didn't realize it was a 60's TV show first.

Rock of Ages - read an article that Tom Cruise spent 5 hours a day honing his voice for this movie. Turns out he has opera singers in his family history, so it must not have been too hard for him to find those talents. Am keeping my fingers crossed on this one, too.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Just read the book a few months ago, pretty good.A bit "slow" at times for my personal taste. Looking forward to seeing the movie.
    Too soon for a reboot, if you ask me.

Also, I sort of like the photographer role Peter Parker plays, but he's young in that movie so that's missing. I especially like the jerk that plays his boss at the paper.

So B- from me, though I will say my wife and kids liked it more than I did.
  • GRAVITY was such a letdown--with all the rave critic reviews i was expecting things like "plot", "acting", a script perhaps, but all I got was some nifty computer graphics and Lucy and Desi in Outer Space.

Save your 10 bucks for a DVD rental without the 3D--it's not even that good.
    Gandolfini fans will like this, but don't expect a Sopranos-style character. He proves he was a versatile actor. The dialogue is great in this one. Wife and I both liked it.

RIP.
  • My favorite comment about Gravity was from The Daily Show (I think..)

Paraphrasing.... (can I still use quotes on a paraphrase?)

"Scientists have blasted the movie, Gravity, for taking license with physics and science. Said one scientist, 'It is ridiculous, there is no way that George Clooney would spend that much time with a woman his own age' "

;-)

True that!