Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the Theaters

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    Saw Ratatouille the other day. Lots of fun. Just your basic rat-from-Paris happens to be a gourmet chef story :P

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I saw it too. Took the kids on Monday, had the day off.

I loved it. Cracked me up with lots of clever quips and a lot of humor that went right over my kids' heads.

That's the problem, though. My 4 year old just didn't "get it" most of the time. There was not enough physical, obvious humor for him. He was a bit bored and fussy, even with popcorn and an Icee.

My 8 year old daughter liked it better, but still, it was no Finding Nemo.

I recommend it for the adults, but for the kids wait 'til it comes out on video.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    This movie was disappointing. Bruce Willis must have gotten all the money they usually pay for good writers. He suffered for it though, as he had only a couple of those good one liners he is famous for. The plot was fairly weak, reminded me quite a bit of the Matrix. But, they blew up a lot of stuff and crashed a bunch of cars, some guy fell into a meat grinder... so not a total loss.
    Meat grinder? Ouch.
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I've enjoyed the books and the movies, but I really thought it was the best of the movies so far. My oldest daughter disagrees a bit as she said it strayed a bit too far from the book for her tastes.

It got a round of applause at the end :D

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I really enjoyed Miss Potter. That would be Beatrix Potter. The film is a moving portrayal of the life of a world class author in the socially complex culture of Victorian England.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I'm not familiar with that one, but it sounds interesting. I'll have to look for it. I sure loved her stories! And that's a fascinating time period.

Edit: Added it to my Netflix queue. ;)
    Timing didn't work out for us to watch the movie we wanted to see, so we settled for Bruce Willis' latest Die Hard movie.

Surprisingly, it wasn't bad. If you liked the others, this one is just more of the same.

You need a total suspension of disbelief, but if you can let that go the action scenes are pretty wild.

There's one particularly funny stunt sequence where he refers to his enemy as a gerbil, but I'll let you watch it (wait 'til the DVD is out) because you'll get a good chuckle out of it.

My wife liked it, too. She doens't like to admit an action movie can be entertaining, but that's exactly what this was - entertainment.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,582
    Meat grinder, wood chipper... it's all the same.. ;)

(you did see Fargo, right?)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Yes and who can forget that scene?!
    A creative and interesting story about dealing with bullies, though one tragedy sort of spoiled it for my 2 young kids.

Great movie, but save it for 10+ year olds.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    I agree with you. It was geared more for adults than the kids. There was a group of young teens sitting a few rows behind me and it was apparently over their heads also because they wouldn't SHUT UP! Grrrrr. :mad:

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

I loved John Waters original film. Loved the broadway musical...and I loved the movie musical. I wasn't sure about Travolta playing Edna, but a few minutes in and I was sold. Great music, good dancing, and just fun to watch. :D

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Should I take my 8 year old? I've been thinking about that.

She liked "High School Musical" and "The Amanda Show", so you think she'd like this movie too?
    Hmm..it's very lively and fun. Lots of music and dancing that she might enjoy. I can't think of anything that is really objectionable for an 8-year-old. It's kind of a history lesson about segregation and integration too. She may be too young to grasp that?

I found this site that does "family" reviews. They are say 11+. You know your daughter and can decide. To be honest, I probably would have taken mine to it when they were that age, but I would never restrict anyone from seeing a musical no matter how young/old they are. :D

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/Hairspray_2.html

I may watch it first, then let her watch it on DVD when it comes out.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Tom, thanks for mentioning this. It's a great movie, I really enjoyed it. :)
    Not my review, but my daughter's, "Don't waste your money. Wait for the DVD."

Reminds me of Eddie Murphy doing stand-up. Why pay to see Buck Wheat when you can get it for free on TV?
    Not the greatest film this summer, but quite a departure for DeNiro. I'd see it again just for him. :D

Did see this a couple of weeks ago, good movie.

I did get a little tires of musicles in general because I had recently watched High School Musical with my kids. It was not bad though.

My favorite scene was then Travolta danced, that was worth the price of admission.
    Funny movie, but a bit of a let down after the much-better Knocked Up.

Lots of crude humor made some of the main characters not-so-likable.

Also, they go off on too much of a tangent with the police officers and McLovin. Get to the stinkin' party already.
    I want to see this... but, I have no one to accompany me.. :cry:

My wife is too mature, and my son (who would love it) isn't old enough for R-rated movies..

But I bet it would be shorter if I flew into CVG :P

Well.. sure!! Come on down!! :)

• okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    disturbia , what a movie. sometimes a director gets it right. this moive that reminds me of a cult classic called last house on the left. fear can be fun just not in this context.
    the terror is not of the nature that lends to belief in some circles. leaving the question. is this the work of artist or the fantasy of someone with a differnt take on the game.
    rest my friend it's over or is it :)
    Think "Death Wish" minus the one-liners, plus more psychological.

Jodie Foster does a good job as a torn victim enacting revenge as a vigilante, but this film is a bit too predictable. It's also not as memorable as lines like, "Do you believe in Jesus? You're gonna meet him!" that Bronson delivered with gusto.

Still, an interesting film, with good acting. The chemistry is not there with her husband, but it's there with the detective, for sure.
    Wait 'til this is out on DVD, and even then, only rent it if there's nothing else you haven't watched.

Jessica Alba doesn't pull off the clutzy beauty the way I had hoped. Maybe that's because I like her, or because her previous roles were so serious, dark.

The movie also really pushes the envelope in terms of gratuitous sexual humor, but in a tasteless way. At times it's hard to like any one of the characters, except Jessica's, and even then you feel pity.

Slow start, and it gets a little better, but still not recommended.
    I went to a midnight showing of this film. Foster certainly delivered another riveting performance. Her character contrast from before to after the attack was gut-wrenching. She may get an Oscar nod for this film. Predictable, yeah, but I didn't mind it so much because of the quality of acting. Terence Howard is also excellent.

Terence was good, indeed, I'd forgotten the name.

He had more chemistry with Jodie Foster than her husband did.