Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Book Talk - What are you reading?

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
"A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail" by Bill Bryson. Even though I doubt if I'll ever do the entire trek, this book sure inspires me to consider it.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,910
    I always have multiple books in play, usually non-fiction, and a lot of them historical in nature. The one that has most of my attention at the moment is a book that was written by the father of one of my daughter's classmates about Thomas Jefferson's first inauguaral address.

Jefferson's Call for Nationhood by Stephen Howard Browne

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    Bryson didn't manage to walk the whole thing either, but it's a funny read.

Recent reads include the Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, Uncommon Carriers by John McPhee (good at first but dragged bad) and my favorite SciFi of the last year or so, Counting Heads by a Fairbanks author, David Marusek.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,244
    If you'd like to combine horror & history I just finished "The Terror" by Dan Simmons. Two boats from the 1845 Franklin Expedition to the Arctic are frozen fast in the ice. And that's when they meet "it" (uh-oh).

It's not your usual formulaic Stephen King kind of book and it takes a bit of a commitment as it is 765 pages long. But it's a great read as the crew fight "it", the ice, and each other. It's also a rather scathing commentary on what, in the 19th century, was called "progress".

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• fezofezo Posts: 9,383
    is a fun read. I've only read that one but he's got tons out so I'm in good shape.

If you want a good guy for writing thick books that you can't put down try Nelson DeMille. He is good at what Stephen King used to be good at - sucking you in with just enough perfectly plausible material that when it takes the turn you are hardly aware of it.

I particularly like his stories involving Detective John Corey - Plum Island, Lion's Game, Night Fall and Wild Fire. Best read in that order (chronological).

Have been reading State of Denial but it is slow moving for me and only gets me angry...
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Very funny and quick read. Great for airplane rides!
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    I've only read a couple by DeMille: 'The Charm School' and 'Redfox'. I thought The Charm School was terrific.....couldn't finish 'Redfox'. I'll have to look at some of teh others you've mentioned.

'State of Denial' - I'm not surprised..... :shades:
    "'State of Denial' - I'm not surprised....."

Nope. Not gonna go there. Wouldn't be prudent.... :P

I read the first Bush at War book at it was just a gush piece. Missed the second and that third one I'm just going to give up on.

The Charm School is an amazingly good book. DeMille writes all his stuff long hand. Ya gotta love that.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    The Nanny Diaries - amusing tale of a young woman working as a nanny for New York high society.

The Friday Night Knitting Club - Story of a woman and her teenage daughter in New York. The woman owns a knitting shop where women congregate Friday evening's to share their life stories and experiences.
    n/m

Axis Mundi by David Warren Saxe - a thriller about the last surviving witness of Hitler's plans. Interesting because it's set here central PA area :)

The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz- one of those amazing true stories. The guy was a Polish cavalry officer captured by the Red Army in 1939 when Germany and Russia partitioned Poland. Sent to a gulag in Siberia, he esacaped with 6 prisoners and they walked 4,000 miles to India

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Having lost what may be my favorite - Kurt Vonnegut. I was pretty amazed he lasted as long as he did as was he since he smoked straight Pall Malls for decades. He ends up dying from the effects of falling in his house.

Everything through Slaughterhouse Five was fantastic and even his lesser works had the touch in them. He'll be missed
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    Our Culture, What's Left of It: The Mandarins & the Masses, by Theodore Dalrymple (pseudonym).

His first book, Life at the Bottom, was fabulous and readable. This one is just plain educational, but I paid $25 for the hardcover and dammit, I'm going to finish it.

Off-season, but I'm also reading Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Getting to Know You by David Marusek. It's scifi or whatever you are supposed to call that genre nowadays.

I usually avoid short stories but I really enjoyed Counting Heads by the same guy. Plus he's not prolific at all, so this will have to tide me over until his second novel, which could be years.

Another Larry McMurtry Thalia story featuring Duane. In the last Duane book (Duane's Depressed), the character parked his pickup and walked and biked everywhere in the Texas heat.

In this quick read, Duane gets some of his act together. Ok if you're a McMurtry fan but still a bit thin.

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    Finished! (At around 3 am this morning.) I was right on several events, but missed the mark on a couple of major ones, and very surprised on a few others. All in all, it's been a great series and I'm rather sad it's done.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

I don't stay up until 3 AM so I'm not even halfway through. Racing my 15 year old daughter....
    Welll...in chapter 34....

just kidding :P

Is that the one where Snape is named CEO of the Ford Motor Company?
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Currently reading Ryszard Kapuscinski's Travels with Herodotus.

Easy to read (a simple, clear prose), enlightening, amusing, amazing, moving. Present history wisely confronted with ancient times. I am enjoying this book very much.

For references
    http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400043385
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryszard_Kapu%C5%9Bci%C5%84ski
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travels_with_Herodotus

Regards,
    Jose
    We may need to start a Harry Potter thread..... I'm done.

Loved every bit of it. Thought it was much better done than the last couple.

Nice tying together of things.
    The series is on my list. They couldn't be any longer than Cryptonomicon that I'm reading now (an 800 pager by Neal Stephenson - I'm on my first renewal at the library. ;) )

Hmmm...a "Deathly Hallows" thread? Some folks might think it's a new dealership. :P

Does this mean Fiat is coming back to the US? :confuse:
    I finisihed it just after you did karen. I thought it was the best of the seven books! Not a dull chapter (or even page really)

I'll agree with you on that one. This last one hung together better than any of them. Could not put it down.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,792
    Haven't even started it yet... :(

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

No one would move to Boise if they read this book first. It won a Pulitzer back in '72 and the wheelchair bound narrator must have been the model for Dr. Scott of Rocky Horror Picture Show fame.

Since the narrator is comparing his failed marriage (and his hippie helper's rocky relationship) to his pioneer grandmother's unhappy marriage in the late 1800's, it is all a bit of a time warp.

"A techno-thriller (or very near-future SF, looking at some of the gimmicks) about a cyber-security expert who goes to work for the U.S. government fighting terrorism after 9/11."

The Wiki summary covers it, but the book was quite an enjoyable read. Especially after having to give up on Digging to America, the Echo Maker and Baroque-A-Nova after about 50 pages each.

Neal, that is.

I'm always reading something, usually more than one something at once. :P

And my list tends to be a bit...well... different than most.

Right now I'm reading a book on Bayesian probability and one about the politics of the 1800's that lead up to the Civil War (which some refer to as the war of Northern aggression)