Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Book Talk - What are you reading?

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,273
    I probability should have guessed you'd be reading something like that. :)

I'm winding down on The Baroque Cycle, so I'm ~100 years ahead of you.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,261
    I'm reading Charles Bukowski's "Hollywood", about his experience of the making and filming of the movie "Barfly" which he wrote. Hilarious true send-up of L.A. lunacy.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Michael Crichton's Next on the one hand; Salman Rushdie's The Enchantress of Florence on the other.

Making out the possible next future with Crichton's scientific insight and irony; peeking at the XVI Century global past with Rushdie's fantasy and scholar classicism.

I'm enjoying both. ;)

Regards,
    Jose
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    ...and I will reinforce the opinion that Bill Bryson is hilarious!

I've read pretty much every one of his books, and his travel tales from Australia are wonderful ("In a Sunburned Country").

Am currently re-reading all of the Tom Clancy novels (currently on "Executive Orders"), plus I've got a few books from the local library that are in the queue. One on the NFL, one on NASCAR, one on marketing / branding and the last on professional golf during WW2.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    After about page 200 it was a hard book to put down. The plot was a bit far fetched, climax not a strong as I had hoped, but overall character development was excellent. I'd give it 7 Jip"stars" out of 10.
    Finished "The Dirk Gently Wholistic Detective Agency"--that was a wild ride---by the guy who wrote Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"---Doug Adams.

Now reading Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut---also very weird indeed.

Those are a couple of fun ones Shifty.

Currently on the nightstand is The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. The story of a mute Wisconsin boy and his dogs, aka a modern take on Hamlet set in rural Wisconsin. Good read and good North Woods local color.

edited November 2010
    Oh yeah I read a review of that book! I think I'm going to get it. I hesitated because it was on Oprah's list, and quite frankly, 90% of those books on her list are disappointing to say the least. Poofy pop trendy gimmick books, or dreadfully narcissistic memoirs. (Do I really care how hard it is to be a celebrity? Nooooo)

But with a review from you, I'm confident this may be in the 10%. :P

Have you heard about www.paperbackswap.com?
    PAPERBACK SWAP

I joined and I really like it. For joining you get 2 credits. Then you list all the books you want to "trade away", and you get 1 credit for each listing.

In turn, you can create a Wish List and if someone else has posted a book that's on your Wish List, you order it from them and spend 1 credit.

The sender of the book pays the postage, you get the book "for free" so to speak.

In reality, it's costing you about $2.50 a book because of the postage you will have to spend to send your book to others.

So far i've gotten 4 books, all promptly, all in good shape. They also do books on CD.

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,023
    Re: Oprah's book club - I gave up on that when she was pushing "How Stella Got Her Groove Back." Hated. It.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

UGH--she's pushed so many grotesquely bad books, I don't even bother anymore.

UGH--she's pushed so many grotesquely bad books, I don't even bother anymore.

Then, of course, there was the travesty of one of her recommended books being pure fiction, when it was meant to be a first-person account of substance abuse.

Oops!

Sounds like there will be a few folks here who are glad this is her last season.
    edited November 2010
    My sister gave the Sawtelle book to my wife when we were visiting last month (a whole bag of books in fact); otherwise (being more of a cat person) I probably wouldn't picked it up. It was a nice surprise.

Famed Seattle librarian, Nancy Pearl, taught me, in her book, Book Lust, not to bother with any book that doesn't grab you within the first 50 pages. I make frequent exceptions to that rule (otherwise I wouldn't have plowed through Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle trilogy last summer), but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Hm, a bit of channeling Faulkner there with all the comma delineated clauses instead of readable sentences. :shades:

(I enjoyed breezing through Stella btw).

There are a few books that require more patience than 50 pages, but damn few!

Among the ones I threw out the window at 50 pages (that I recall)

Eat Love Pray (chick book, all the way--the women's version of Raiders of the Lost Ark fantasies).

The Da Vinci Code (beach book for a rainy day I guess---nonsense and surprisingly badly written IMO)

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo --- people swear to me you have to stick with it past 50 pages, but I just couldn't. Maybe I'll come back to it someday. Sooo boring in the beginning.....

Fat Girl --- I actually did come back to this one. It was painful to read in that it was so self-denegrating, but I gave it a second chance. Great book? Nah. But morbidly seductive I suppose.

edited November 2010
    Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I like Stieg Larsson’s books but they do take a while to get into. Haven't read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest yet (my wife liked it but said the first two were better). Winter reads for long dark nights.

Am curious to see how the movies turn out.

Movies are *rarely* as good as the books, usually far worse....but, the exception proofs the rule, and I recall a few movies that equaled the book:

1. Catch-22

2. Remains of the Day

I even recall a movie that was *way better* than the book -- JAWS :P

There are a few books that require more patience than 50 pages, but damn few

I've been on page 75 of Ann Rice's "Interview 'With A Vampire" going on 18 years now. Just couldn't get into it.

"Salem's Lot", a vampire book by Stephen King, was awesome. A book I could really sink my teeth into. :blush:
    Ever read Bram Stoker's original "Dracula"? It's pretty darn good. Very dark. Not at ALL like the Hollywood fluff. For instance, in the book Dracula can turn into a large lizard and crawl down building walls at night.

Aside from the usual blood-sucking, there is a very conspicuous nod to both Mesmerism (popular in the day as a form of hypnotism performed by quacks, mostly on delicate Victorian females (actually M. Mesmer lived long before this time)...and also hints of sexual predation of course.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,827
    "Salem's Lot" made me afraid to turn out the lights and go to bed... I stayed up until 4:00 AM, just so I could finish the damn thing...

Also, can't tell you how many times I started to read the 3rd book in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.... and, just got put to sleep by the dwarf and the elf promising how they would die for each other, yada, yada, yada... zzzzzzzzzzz.. (and, I loved those books...)

What am I reading? Tonight, it's Sports Illustrated.. :(

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

"Salem's Lot" made me afraid to turn out the lights and go to bed

That reminds me of an incident that happened to me many years ago.

I'm not much of a Steven King fan, but my first wife was. She bought the book "Four Past Midnight" and I picked it up and read the first story "The Lingoliers".

I was scheduled to travel from CA to Boston on a red-eye flight for business not long after I read the book. Had no idea what the story was about when I started it, but, let me tell you, that book made it real tough to sleep on the flight.

I got into Boston very bleary-eyed.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    Am curious to see how the movies turn out.

Let me save you from that pain. We rented "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and couldn't get past the first 30 minutes. It's in Swedish with dubbed voices - very BADLY dubbed voices. I suspect that if you spoke Swedish it'd be pretty good, but the dubbed translation made the conversations seem very stilted and it was dead boring.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Remember when Saturday Night Live did a spoof of dubbed movies? What they did was have one actor just open and close his mouth, and the other actor duck his head behind the first one and shout the words. It was sooooooo funny. :)

This was done by John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd, two brilliant comedians IMO.

Let me save you from that pain. We rented "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and couldn't get past the first 30 minutes. It's in Swedish with dubbed voices - very BADLY dubbed voices. I suspect that if you spoke Swedish it'd be pretty good, but the dubbed translation made the conversations seem very stilted and it was dead boring.

It is my understanding that an American version of this movie is in development.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,023
    David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Seven) is directing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, with plans for worldwide release December 21, 2011.

I have a friend that likes to recommend books. Her last "must read" was Twilight. She gave me a copy as a present. Read a couple of chapters and then began skimming. When I got to part where the young vamp reveals he sparkles in sunlight, I stopped. It was good for a laugh. Now my friend is touting The Girl With a Dragoon Tattoo and the holidays are coming. Oh dear. :sick:

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

You have to like that sort of thing.

Actually Stephen King, of all people, wrote a book about Writing which is actually pretty good. At least he was quite honest about it, and never claims to be a great author. Rather, he says that what he's good at is getting you to turn the page.

And I agree, that is a *basic* requirement. If it's also War and Peace, all the better, but at *least* it shouldn't bore you to death.

I was a bit disappointed in Cujo, not much bite till you got about half way thru it. A lot of nondrama about business problems and affairs with the main characters. When it's game time you give the ball to your star and let them run with it, that would be Cujo.

Let's not take half a book for character development Stephen... you should know better. :mad:

The whole Cujo being possessed by the evil spirit of a child and women killer was a bit odd as well. How's it bounce back and forth from the kids closet to Cujo.... and why?

Anyhow, out of a 5 star rating system, Cujo the dog gets 5 "jip"stars and Cujo the book gets 2 1/2 "jip" stars. :shades:
    The Nick Adams stories. After Ike Walton I suppose but way before A River Runs Through It. Mostly set in the UP - local color.

Did you ever read that one line review of the movie "Cujo" in the Village Voice?

"cujo momma make a worse movie than this?"

A book by Francine Prose about a professor of creative writing stuck in some minor college in New England. He's bored to death trying to teach illiterates to write creatively, and then this rather plain looking Goth chick comes into class and starts submitting (secretly, to him) brilliant prose.

Then all hell breaks loose. Very entertaining book. "Lolita" with a twist.

Rather bizarre (and somewhat lewd) book by Luke Rhinehart, about a psychiatrist who decides to make all his decisions in life by the role of the dice in order to liberate mankind from social roles imposed upon us. Predictably, things go very wrong, but also occasionally produce great benefits to some. The dice become his god in a sense, and his religion. Interesting premise, thought-provoking, fun read in parts, but a tad too long. I think there's even a sequel.

edited January 2011
    Did you ever read that one line review of the movie "Cujo" in the Village Voice?"cujo momma make a worse movie than this?"

I vaguely recall the movie, from watching it about 2 decades ago. All I remember is the boy being trapped in the car with his "momma". Must have left an impression, as now any large or satanic looking dog is called Cujo. :sick:

Next up: Pet Semetary. :surprise: