Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I'm not sure of performance gains, but most claim about 3% in a certain range. Performance people swear by K&N. Performance Products has em and Overlander, both in the $40-$60 range.

-mike
    Ok, the price is $260 + Shipping ($10-$20 at most) Anyone interested let me know. I'm hoping someone buys it so i can upgrade to the Chrome one!!!

-mike
    I'd say that would be a tad too much for this trooper, although depending on the terrain it might not be too bad if you upgraded the sway bars and rear springs. Also depends on how often and how far you have to tow the trailer. I hate to see you go away from the Trooper!

-mike
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    New York Times had published a list of Potential best amongst used cars for 1996 models. They based this on JD Power and Associates survey for most dependable brands. In Compact SUV's The trooper was ranked 2nd, 4Runner 1stand Explorer 3rd.

For model year 2000 Isuzu as a company is ranked below average. I guess their build quality has decreased or more likely others have improved quality and Isuzu has fallen behind.

For those of you interestd int he other models here is the list from New York Times.

Compact Cars:
    1.Toyota Tercel
    2.Toyota Corolla
    3. Subaru Impreza Outback (My personal Favourite)

Entry Midsize:
    1.Honda Accord
    2.Buick LeSabre(tie)
    2.Toyota Camry(tie)
    3.Toyota Avalon

Sporty CArs:
    1. Mazda Miata
    2.Honda Del Sol
    3.Honda Prelude

Entry Luxury:
    1.Lexus ES 300
    2.Infitinity G20
    3.Infinity I30

Premium Luxury:
    1. Lexus LS 400
    2. Mercedez-Benz SL-Class
    3. Lexus SC coupe

Compact Pickups:
    1. Toyota Tacoma
    2. Nissan Pckups
    3. Ford Ranger

Full Size Pickups
    1. Toyota T100
    2. GMC Sierra
    3. Chevorlet C/K Series

Mini SUV
    1. toyota RAV4

Compact SUVs
    1. 4runer
    2. Trooper
    3. Explorer

Full size suv
    1. Toyota LC
    2. GMC Yukon

Luxury SUV
    1. LX 470

Compact Vans
    1. Odessey
    Previa
    Mazda MPV
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    I think the declining rating for Isuzu as a company is because of the Rodeo, which is built in the US...sadly, when compared to the Trooper, the Rodeo has a significantly poorer reliability/build quality record. I'd like to think Americans can match or exceed manufacturing quality standards elsewhere, but we haven't proven it yet, at least when it comes to automobiles.
  • ilitilit Posts: 71
    Be careful with snake oil salespeople!
    Trooper's maximum towing capacity rated at 5000 lbs.
    This is based on the drive train capability,
    not the suspension system's.
    Remember that Trooper is not a super vehicle.
    Like any other vehicles, it fits only certain needs/ preferences.

Good luck!
    Or is it the chassis? Most times the restriction is the chassis NOT the drivetrain. Anyone have any facts one way or the other?

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I asked a Acura Mechanic about the towing with the MDX. It supposedly needs extra cooling when towing anything above 2000 lbs. He told me that because the vehicle is built on the minivan frame, it caused the drivetrain to work harder than necessary because of the distribution of force? Since this vehicle has more HP than the Trooper and less towing capacity I think the argument the mechanic made is valid. So it is probably a combination of both, but don't count the chassis out.
    It's the tourque and the system cooling that matters and the chassis for towing. For instance, a Suburban with a 5.7l engine is faster and has more HP than the suburban with the 7.4l engine, but if you hookem up back to back, the 7.4 will pull he 5.7l up a 30 degree incline!

The MDX is mini-van based so yeah that makes sense, but the Trooper is a full frame, so I'd say it was the suspension that is holding down the trooper as far as towing. Any engineers here?

-mike
  • I looked at the Rodeo, hung around the Rodeo boards on Edmunds...and decided "No thanks!" Not to offend paisan, who evidently had great luck with his Rodeo but it seems that many people who own them experience a lot of problems. Not so with the Trooper and Vehicross. Plus, I bought my Trooper for about the same as an LS Rodeo, comparably equipped.
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    The local dealer finally got the info and parts for the 2nd fuel line recall yesterday. I'm getting the work done on Tuesday.
  • mike,

where did you find the chrome version of the ECB nudge bar. i have been looking all over for one. can you provide any insite. i would need the chrome as well to match my sport chrome side bars.

thanks,
    steve
  • Personally, I would be very careful exceeding the manufacturers posted limits. For one thing, if something bad happens your insurance company might say Sorry Charlie, you were towing more than allowed.

As some have noted, the limit is based on a combination of several factors: vehicle weight, chassis, suspension, engine, tires, wheelbase, track, transmission, braking, and cooling systems. Finally, the vehicle is typically tested with various trailer loads in various conditions (wet, curves, braking, cross-winds).

Some of these factors you can do something about (maybe add extra transmission cooling, upgrade shocks & springs), others you can't (wheelbase, chassis).

If I WAS planning to exceed the limits, I might look into the following: check the limits for the overseas Trooper models with the SAME engine - in Australia, in Europe - what are they rated at? Are they using the same transmission? Next, check the GM website (posted earlier by someone...) that lists the specs for the Trooper transmission - it is used in other vehicles - and see what those other vehicles are towing; be sure they are using the EXACT same version of this transmission. Next, plan on upgrading to a Light Truck tire (not the "P" rated stock type...) that is designed for heavier loads and more abuse; also plan on replacing all 4 stock shocks (you don't still have them DO you...) and the rear springs to more robust pieces. You should also strongly consider using a full synthetic oil in the engine and at least a semi-sythetic in the transmission. Does the U.S. Trooper have a transmission cooler? If not, you should look around for one. I would also go to some of the RV websites and do a little reading there - people who routinely tow trailers with all kinds of vehicles will be able to give you no-nonsense, experienced advice that will probably save you $$ and headaches down the road (no pun...).
    Yeah my rodeo was a 97, which was the last generation, I've heard no so good things about the current gen, although the 2000-01 models are much better than 98-99. The TOD alone makes the Trooper a much better value. I wouldn't go back to a rodeo after having a Trooper :)

-mike
    I too wouldn't exceed the manf specs without checking out all the upgrades available. The guy in quesion above wouldn't be exceeding the limits, just be very close to em, which if he upgraded the Tranny cooler, springs, and shocks and tires, should be sufficient to cover his needs. Insurance has to cover you unless you are committing a felony, IIRC.

-mike
    I am actually importing the ECB bars from Australia. The Chrome one is selling for $305+shipping(from NY) currently. Let me know if you are interested. I'm not sure how much ECB is selling em directly for though.

-mike
    We'll find out if it's the engineering of the Trooper that makes it better than the Rodeo or the factory. The Axiom is going to have a Trooper chassis/driveline w/Rodeo rear suspension and being built in Indiana @ the SIA plant.

-mike
  • Mike,

Do you think we would get a better deal if we ordered in quantity ? As I stated earlier, I would need the crome as well. I assume you are looking at the ECB 76mm Chrome Nudge Bar.

Once it comes in, where the heck would you have something that installed. Dealer ? Body Shop ?

BYW, I have a 2000 Trooper Limted.

~Steve
    Steve, I get a decent discount cause I've been ordering these bars (2 or 3 so far). The install isn't too bad, took me who is totally mechanically un-inclined about 1.5 hours to do the install. Very straight forward. Let me know if you are interested in the chrome and I'll get an exact price for yah.

-mike
  • yes Mike, I am interested in the chrome. Can you get a price and tell me how, where to order ? Which one are you getting for your Troop.?

Thanks for your help.

Steve