Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• Options
    gladiator636gladiator636 Member Posts: 13
    Saw pics on your site, nice looking truck...

If it's not being too nosy, what did it run you for the nudge bar & Hella 4000 driving lights?

And I read somewhere in here about the Rancho 9000 shocks. Have you gotten them on yet... I read factory shocks are too soft, and these will supposedly help in hard turns, speed bumps etc...right?
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    No problem, The nudge bar is going for $255for the black and $275 for the Chrome one currently. I found a place in Australia ECB, where I originally bought mine. Now I bring em in for ECB to customers here in the states. The Hella 4000s I got from susquehana motorsports for around $330 with the harness. They are very helpful in the mts. upstate NY where I go in the summer. I ordered the rancho 9000s for $255 and should be putting em in sometime in the next month or so.

-mike
  • Options
    keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Paisan where can I get a nudge bar?
  • Options
    E-mail me for details mike@iace.com

-mike
  • Options
    catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    I owe you my first born. Thanks again for the tip on the dealership in Olathe, Kansas. We drove the 200 miles up there yesterday and purchased a 01,S model. This was the most peaceful car buying experience we ever had. We delt with Brian Hildenburg, and found him to be very knowledgeable and very low-key. We mentioned your name and that we got the tip on the net. Looked like they had about l5 more on the lot. I guess I now have the dreaded " Trooper virus" disease. Where does one find mail order parts , such as oil filters (Isuzu brand) and after market parts, as we are 40 miles from nearest dealership? Also, web sites for products and info on shop manuels. Again, THANKS
  • Options
    I have a good deal of links to aftermarket parts on my site:

http://isuzu-suvs.com

Come over to the owner's area and join us! Also every thurs night 10-11pm EST we chat here on edmunds!

-mike

• Options
    sahara111sahara111 Member Posts: 51
    Just put 3040 miles on our new Old Man Emu shocks (OKC - Orlando - OKC) and they are totally AWESOME!

Personally, I would not mess with the Rancho 9000s. These OMEs (combined with the Sway-A-Way torsion bars and OME coil springs) were unbelievably nice and my vehicle was TOTALLY under complete control at any speed over any road surface - this setup really eats up the bad roads. This vehicle/suspension combination now rates as the 2nd best matched setup I've owned - only my Euro-spec '86 BMW M-5 was better.

I had approximately 700 lbs of passengers and cargo in the vehicle for this road trip. It was so interesting to watch other vehicles just ahead or besides me going over the road and bouncing around, and/or completely ill-suited for the load they were carrying - back ends sagging, etc. Most of my traveling was at 80-85 mph, occasionally 90, except when my wife was driving (then about 70). I'm going to say it one more time: the OMEs are THE way to go.

Oil: some of you might be happy to know that I used about 3/4 of a liter bottle in those 3040 miles. I believe this is reasonable, and not much different from what I experience with my '92 Landcruiser. I use Mobil 1 10w-30; I had about 2000 miles on the oil when I left and had just put in a new, clean filter for the trip. Please note this trip was during normal 50-60 degree temps most the way; summer time usage may be a bit higher. My '99 Trooper now has 32185 miles on it.

Thanks again to everyone for all the useful and interesting info on this forum! Later.
  • Options
    conman2000conman2000 Member Posts: 158
    My neighbor just bought a 4wd LS for just under 30K with the sunroof and the Isuzu financing. You can get 2k rebate if you don't take the Isuzu Financing(Which seems to be a selling tactic here in NY by agreeing on a price knowing you want the IMAC and raising the price 2k when you get to sign the IMAC Paper Work). So if you don't get the IMAC you could get a LS with Sunroof for 28k. I have seen 4wd I auto for 23k after the 2k off which would then make it 26k with IMAC(Which is around TMV). They always seem to only have one at this price. ;) Just wondering what people are paying for an 4WD S with Auto? I have seen CarsDirect.com selling them for 26.8k but I think paying $800 over TMV is alot since this would mean over 1k over invoice. I also noticed that the dealers don't seem to have a lot of Troopers as I went to two dealers and one had two Troopers and the other had one. Anyone else noticed this? thanks.

Con "No Trooper(Yet)" Man
  • Options
    Best Dealer in NY Area is SI Subaru/Isuzu in Staten Island. They still have a 2000 LS w/Moonroof around. Call Mark or Ira 718-979-9595 and tell em Mike sent you and they'll do right by you.

-mike
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    try St. Charles Isuzu and Best Isuzu. They both offer discounts that are the best available AFAIK, often with free shipping!
  • Options
    centralcentral Member Posts: 51
    As another reference point, I bought my 1999 Trooper using the Costco dealer referral program. I also recently priced a 2001 using the same program. As it turns out the price in both cases through the Phoenix, Arizona dealer (Pitre Isuzu) was identical. Namely, Invoice plus $300 minus any factory deals in effect. So, when I got my information in February that meant the price was $1700 under invoice (i.e. after the $2000 factor deal). I didn't ask for a quote with financing. I assume the deal in such a case would be Invoice plus $300 at the 0% factory deal.

Also, for what it is worth I got the impression that you didn't have to have a Costco membership to get this price. You simply had to bypass the regular sales folks and deal with any of the fleet sales staff. Whether such a technique would work at other dealers I don't know but for the price of a phone call it might be worth a try.

While deals in far away places may not appeal to many folks it worked for us as our local dealers were only willing to marginally dicker off of the MSRP.
  • Options
    baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    What did you get besides basic S, what cost, what fin rate? Reason, I haven't decided yet what I'm gonna do. If you want private send by email, see my profile. Thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks for the Info Mike! I called this morning and talked to Ira. He told me the 2000 LS w/Moon is 26k cash price. So the Isuzu Finance price is 28k. TMV for the 2001 is a little under 29k so there is not much saving. Also, TMV for a used 2000 LS w/Moon is around 25k. If the Fin. price was 26k, I would be interested. Too Bad :( I am going to try my local dealers again and see if they got any more in stock. Thanks.

Regards,
    Con
  • Options
    Well, don't forget those prices are all inclusive (except tax and tags) Make sure that whrever you get it from doesn't whack you advertising fee, prep, delivery, etc. etc. As time goes on, I'll let you know if they still have it, eventually they'll lower the price if it doesn't sell.

-mike
  • Options
    Conman I would make sure you check your local used lots to. I am in the Pittsburgh area and for some reason we get a lot of Isuzu corporate cars on the lots here. There is an auction in Manheim PA that once in a while Isuzu Corp. sends all of their corporate vehicles to it. These are cars that are being driven by people who work directly for Isuzu. Since they are driven by Isuzu employees they were never titled and still come with the full warranty. I bought one of these at Christmas. I got a 2000 Trooper S model for 19.5K. I was grinning ear to ear when I left the lot!!!!! I don't know what part of NY you are in but Manheim might not be all that far away from you if you are in the right part of NY.
  • Options
    I left out something. The 2000 S model I bought did have 6,000 miles on it and a stain on one of the floor mats (which came out no problem with a little elbow grease). But all in all it was well worth it!
  • Options
    catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    The price I got was 25995. It was an S model with standard shift. They sold me an aftermarket warranty that doubled the bumper to bumper factory one for 679.00. The financing was 60 months at 0 % interest. They simply divided the price by 60 and that was the monthly payment. They were really good to deal with. What really excited me was , the travel coffee mugs I bought at walgreens last year (2 for 10.00) fit the small cup holder places between the front seat. None of the 15 oth er ones I had would fit. Im going to post this on the owners site next. They were stainless steel and very slim. I filed one forth inch off the handle and they fit perfect. We are heading to Colorado for two weeks to Ski, so I will know a lot more about the new Trooper when we get back.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip. No "program" cars on Long Island. :( I almost took a ride to CT back in Jan. for some 2000 Trooper "Program" cars going for around 19k with only 10k or so miles and they had four Troopers. They said that the 10/120k warranty does not transfer because they were considered used. Geico has a warranty for 30 bucks a year they cover your powertrain for at least 10 years or more(depending which state you are in) but it needs to be a "new" car to get this. a friend of mine bought an after market warranty and his tranny let go right after the factory warranty expired. When he bought the warranty, the dealer said it covered 100% after a deductable. When it came down to it, they only covered 1.5k of the almost 3k bill as it did cover the tranny but some other parts and labor are not covered. Since he paid almost 1.5k for the warr. it was a wash. So I am staying away from those warranty and prefer the factory one since things don't really break in the first 5 years; its the next 5 that the warranty will be valuable. Thanks.

Regards,
    Con
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip. I know the tactics of the NY dealers. I bought three cars in the last 6 years and seem them all. Some try adding "alarm or etching" at $300 as required but I tell them noway as I can get it cheaper elsewhere. So they took it off. Other places put "admin fee or filing fee" of $300 or $400 and most of the time they say that is required. So I have walked out the door. They then chase after me and said the "Manager" said they can wave it this time. WhatEver! I have been looking at the Trooper to buy since the redo in 98. What keeps on turning me off is that the dealers play games or because I look young they think I am not serious. One dealer, Wantah Isuzu, on LI was treating me very bad. I came in with my wife and the salesmen would not let us take a trooper out for a test drive as none was available for testing(Funny thing they had 15 in stock hmmm....)When we sat down to talk numbers, the truck price seem fair then but he was really low balling my trade-in at $8k(I traded it in later at a non-isuzu dealer for $10k). So when I was leaving, I slipped out a pre-appoved bank car loan check and said, I guess I won't get to use this. He Jaw dropped and then said we can work with you but I still left because if this is how they sell cars, how do they service them? Since I am looking again, I have not gone back because of it and I go to the other Isuzu Dealers even though they are farther away. Too bad this industry works this way. Thanks again.
  • Options
    I was down at my dealer tonight, hanging out shooting the breeze. The sales staff is great at my place, but the service sux (and they know it too). I got to test drive by myself the new turbo charged Subaru WRX, which was cool. Saw the 00 Black LS there. I was joking around with them asking when they think it would sell. Anyway, they are pretty straight shooters, but if they aren't in your price range there isn't much they can do, the good thing is they won't low ball you on the phone to get you in there and then pump it up. Anyway hopefully we'll see you in our ranks soon!

-mike
  • Options
    Thanks. Hopefully soon. Since my neighbor bought the LS, I have been looking at it everytime I get home. I even rented a S today in RodeIsland today at Avis on a business trip. I like that they put the armrest and tinted windows on the S model now. Also they put the radio wires in the window now. I think I can live with out the heated seats and moonroof and get the Good value S model(I will miss the moonroof as my car now has it but I won't miss the leather seats). Would be cool to get those power folding mirrors though. Wish me luck...Three times the charm! :)

Cheers,
    Con
  • Options
    I forgot to ask before, how long does it take to get one from you? I checked out your site the other day and like the look of it. Thanks.

Con
  • Options
    The S in 2000 doesn't come with the Tinted windows and arm rests....

Only Fleet Vehicles in the S trim come with the Tinted windows and arm rests. I read through the dealers binder about a month ago, and was supprised to see that small difference between the S on fleet vehicles and std. S models. :)

The bar takes about a month to get from ECB, they are bit slow in the ordering process, but it is worth the wait.

-mike
  • Options
    mjparkermjparker Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2001 Trooper LS. A week ago the TMV was $500 over invoice. Today it is $1200 below invoice. Can someone fill me in on why this would change so drastically. It appears to me that the 0.0% financing or $2000 rebate were in place last week as well. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go by that. It seems a bit erratic IMHO.

-mike
  • Options
    teacherjimteacherjim Member Posts: 52
    I just bought a 2001(black)LS with moonroof for $200 over invoice and got the 0% financing for 5 years. A good deal as far as I am concerned. It's nice to pay cash(but take 5 years. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from what I see on this board. By the way, I was one of the first Isuzu owners in Michigan in 1984 as I bought one of the first Troopers to be delivered. My girlfriend and I drove it to Alaska for the summer. What memories,I hope this new one is as good.
  • Options
    karl972karl972 Member Posts: 8
    Please help me! I'm on the threshold of buying my wife a 2001 Trooper (2WD Limited). Here's the problem I'm having in closing the deal. I read (on Edmunds, before they recently changed the incentives/rebates section so that it's virtually unusable) that Isuzu was offering 0% financing for up to 4 years (subsidiary question - I think someone on here posted just a few messages above they got 0% for FIVE YEARS - is that correct/possible?) AND Edmunds also listed a $1750 dealer incentive for 2WD 2001 Troopers, and $2000 for 4wd 2001 Troopers. The 0% financing is, by itself, of course, a great deal. When coupled with the dealer incentive money, it becomes unbeatable. BUT - here's the wrinkle - the fleet manager at the dealership I'm going with claims that if they write a deal for 0% financing, they lose the incentive money (and therefore that he cannot write the sale I proposed at a price below invoice). Can anyone confirm or deny the veracity of this claim that the incentive goes up in smoke if the customer takes advantage of the 0% financing? FYI - unlike the Northeast or mountainous areas, Texas Isuzu dealers seem bloated with stock. The two dealers I've been to each had at least a dozen 2001 Troopers on hand. I sincerely appreciate the help of anyone with knowledge about this issue -I'd love to buy this truck today or tomorrow!
  • Options
    The Isuzu deals are OR deals the financing OR the $ back. It's based on the VIN#, so when the dealer tries to collect on the rebate, Isuzu Motor Credit will reject it because you've already cashed in on the 0 financing.

-mike
  • Options
    sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    Can anyone please provide me with a link to the old Edmunds Incentives & Rebates web page? The new style web page is about worthless. If someone has any other sites that provide the Incentives & Rebates, please post the links.

BTW I was trying to find a invoice price for a Honda CRV for a friend on Edmunds. Their invoice price for a manual trans was about $1500. more than what carpoint.com came up with for the same vehicle with a automatic.

When I purchased my Trooper last year, Edmunds was invaluable, but as of right now, I have no faith in them. :-(

Did the car manufactures get together and buy Edmunds?

TIA

David
  • Options
    Hondas are almost impossible to figure out the prices since every option is a "dealer installed option" so you can't get a real accurate price on em. I don't know why edmunds didn't keep the charts the way they were...

-mike
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We don't show any incentives in Florida for the CR-V currently.

Maybe you'd like to check the True Market Value? (paisan's favorite tool )

You may want to ask for pricing info on the Honda CRV - VI message board too.

About Edmunds

Good luck!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick answer - my guess was that the salesman was shooting straight, since I knew customer rebates & interest specials were offered on an either/or basis. I just wasn't 100% on whether dealer incentive $$$ was handled differently. I'm making an offer this pm for invoice plus 2%. I'll post results later.
  • Options
    No problem, slow day here at work :)

Good luck in your dealings and hopefully we'll see you here in the owner's club soon. Be sure to check out http://isuzu-suvs.com for some other useful info.

-mike

• Options
    Can anyone tell me the price difference (approximate or otherwise) between a 2001 2WD Limited & a 2001 Limited "Anniversary Edition"? Edmunds talks about the Anniversary package, but doesn't have the price broken down to show the difference. Thanks again.
    -Karl-
  • Options
    I'm not sure of the price difference, I also don't think the Anniv. edition comes in a 2wd flavor. From what I remember it was $2K more list to go up to Annv. from the LS. The limited is $2500 more than the LS. Ltd gives you leather and a compass, barometer, outside temp guage and moonroof and different rims. The Anniversary only gives you leather, upgraded stereo pearl white paint different rims. The moonroof is still optional on the anniver. edition.

-mike
  • Options
    Thanks again Mike - after poring over the Edmunds pages on the Trooper once again it appears to me that the "Anniversary Edition" is only available as an LS upgrade, and not as a Limited upgrade. Given the absence (at least w/o tacking on another grand to get one as an option) of the bodacious moonroof, which the wife loves, this pretty much rules out the Anni version for me, I think. I did listen to both stereo systems and, IMHO, the Nak system is notably different - not that the standard Isuzu system is dog-poo, though. I wish I could get the Anni version of a Limited (for the price of an S with a big fat rebate and 0% interest for 8 years - hey - as long as I'm wishing, right?)
  • Options
    I'd pass on the nagamichi.

Here is how I look at it:

If you have to have leather and skylight, get the Ltd. drop $300-$400 extra at your local circuit city using the installation instructions that people have posted in the aftermarket section, and put a better stereo into the Ltd. Sell your 6-disc changer for $50 to someone with a "S"

The anniversary edition IMHO is kinda a crock.

-mike
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Are you still in Michigan? I'm in the S.E. Michigan area and would be interested in getting your impressions of local dealers as well as finding out if you know of any good non-dealer shops for Isuzu service.
  • Options
    pjlfampjlfam Member Posts: 1
    I'm on the fence with the Trooper. A local dealer has a Limited, sale priced at $27,877...which does not include the 0% financing special. If I were to buy the vehicle, he wants to add $3500 to the price. Now the question is... do I make the offer, or pick up an "LS" with leather and roof for $24,500 with 0%? Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks.
  • Options
    You can't get an LS with leather, they don't make it unless it is an Anniversary Edition. The $3500 rebate or 0 financing is on 2000 model year vehicles that are 4wd. I don't know how they are selling an LS with leather for $24,500 unless it is a 2000 w/ 2wd and aftermarket leather.

-mike
  • Options
    topgntopgn Member Posts: 132
    I liked the Trooper when I test drove it a few years ago; however, I have a bad lower back problem, I need built in lumbar support...
    As of 2001 the Trooper has yet to have any lumbar adjustment..!
  • Options
    But it does have lumbar support. I too have a bad back, and for me it works well. Especially when I crank the heated seats ;)

-mike
  • Options
    kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    I haven't seen/heard much advertising from Isuzu regarding lease deals on the Trooper. Does anyone know what the going rate for a 3 yr lease is? The lease on my 98 Pathfinder expires in June and was considering the Trooper as an option. I really like the Pathfinder quality and reliabilty, but the 2001 model with the 240 hp engine requires premium gas(I'll never understand why engine designers do this). I'd like something with a little more room and the Trooper and Durango fit those requirements. However, I've purchased a Chrysler product before and had nothing but problems with it so I'm a little hesitant with the Durango.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    Due to the low re-sale value (which i don't know why) the residual values on the troopers are lower. This leads to higher lease rates that are usually un-favorable. The Troopers are a great deal if you plan to keep em for a good long while (at least 5 years or 150K miles) That's what I've heard from my buddy who is a dealer.

-mike
  • Options
    Now driving a '01 Limited, purchased at invoice plus 2.5%. I CANNOT believe the dealer wrote up this deal at 0% for five years interest & 0 down - how can they let a car go out the door that way??? Not that I'm complaining... Next step - accessory shopping - thanks for the links in that regard, Paisan.
  • Options
    Welcome to the Troop. Come on over to the owner's area! I have updated my site. http://isuzu-suvs.com

-mike

• Options
    snaithsnaith Member Posts: 8
    Hi All,

Does anyone know about engine block heaters in the Isuzu Trooper? Do they have to be factory installed or can a dealer do it after market?

Second has anyone purchased a Trooper in the Boston area? It seems from posts and TMV that they are selling *below* invoice. Is this what I should expect?

Lastly which model do you recommend? I am leaning toward LS.

Thanks, Sean
  • Options
    cd1000cd1000 Member Posts: 16
    Just bought a 2001 LS 4wd w/ moonroof for $10000 less than MSRP. It was a demo with 10,000 miles on it. Only one tiny ding--otherwise perfect. Had to drive to Atl. to get it but a three hour drive was worth it since my local dealers (asheville, nc) were selling 2000 models with double miles for $4k more. We are very happy. Chris
  • Options
    Welcome to the crew. Come on over to the owner's area for Isuzus for any info/support you need. Also check out http://isuzu-suvs.com for upgrades and FAQ for Isuzus.

-mike

• Options
    kobokokoboko Member Posts: 34
    Hello folks! just bought a new (31 miles) 2001 Trooper S 4X4 with 6 disc cd changer for $25,210 at 0% IMAC financing in IL. this seemed to be a reasonable price considering TMV is 24,090 + destination and invoice is 25,236. any input would be welcome on the price and what it's selling for in other states. also, one thing i didn't like (but doesn't matter though) is that the rear cup holders are poorly designed and flimsy, also the glove compartment opens with a "thud" without any damping. but i guess it's an SUV & meant to be rugged. any thoughts and input will be welcome. i really like the truck otherwise though, but have yet to drive it home since they are installing the CD changer right now. ciao and enjoy your troopers everyone!