Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• cknottcknott Posts: 61
    I recently installed new tires for my 1999 Trooper/auto/TOD.

The new tires are P265/70/16 Michelin XC LT4. My gas mileage was around 16.0 mpg on average with the factory tires (Bridgestone Duellers?). It has now dropped to around 14.8 mpg (even including the adjustment for tire size/speedo variation).

Just FYI
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Unless Isuzu was in on the design for the original, regular-length TrailBlazer/Envoy/Bravada, I don't see how they had anything to do with the Ascender and its long-wheelbase cousins. And since I never heard anything during launch time last year about Isuzu being part of the design, I'm assuming they weren't.

The long versions are extremely similar to the shorter versions that have been on the market a year or so, right? Seems logical that very little additional design was done on the long versions. Probably just the stuff necessary to make the adjustments in the production process.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Isuzu was in on the whole platform. Hence their involvement in the new S10 pickup truck also on that platform IIRC. Something like the 305Platform?

-mike
  • tetonmantetonman Posts: 73
    Isuzu really botched their US marketing plan. Other than the little boy looking at the Space Shuttle versus the little boy in the car looking at traffic, what was memorable about their ads?

Given the fanatical loyalty of Trooper owners, why didn't they take the Saturn approach and talk about owners whose Troopers went 200,000 miles. What about comparing features and MSRP to comparable trucks?

Personally, I am disappointed that the Trooper is being discontinued. At 34,000 miles, mine is just breaking in and I am so happy with it. Oh well at least I'll get another 100,000 miles or so out of it. Can GM deliver that in an SUV? I doubt it.
    1) Power Retractable Mirros (no one else had em til a year ago except Range Rover and TLC)
    2) Largest Moonroof Available in an SUV
    3) One of if not the best angles of approach and departure
    4) TOD
    5) Visibility
    6) Reliability
    7) Truck history
    8) Infinitely Variable heated seats v. Hi-Low heat settings
    9) Captains chairs v. sit on floor seating
    10) Price

-mike
  • arktrooper1arktrooper1 Posts: 101
    i think, is the LR Disco...i know, its had reliability issues, but the last few years its gotten a lot better from what i understand...its also the most authentic SUV under 40K IMHO...and unlike automakers associated with GM, associations with Ford are usually beneficial...if the Axiom were gone, i think that at this time, the Disco would probably be my choice
    I sat in the backseat of one at the auto-show. Dang small! I'd probably go for a used TLC or a GX470.

-mike
  • savvas_esavvas_e Posts: 347
    Isuzu-GM Australia have done a really poor job of marketing the Jackaroo in Australia too. Even though it is sold under the Holden badge, marketing remained Isuzu's responsibility until early 2001. Holden then took over marketing for Jackaroo/Monterey, Frontera (your Rodeo) and Rodeo (your Hombre) and things improved, but the damage has been too long term to overcome quickly.

All they had to do, was get potential buyers to drive it. Once they did that, SOLD!

What annoys me about all that is -

1. Resale is poor for a number of years, which makes Jackaroo a long term proposition only.
    2. After market accessories (such as steel rear bars, etc) are limited due to lack of market demand.
    3. The car is a marvelous piece of engineering, and is very much under-rated in the market (as an arrogant Landcruiser owner found out last Saturday ... hehehe ... geez I enjoyed that)
    4. For @#$%'s sake, it has won the biggest Australian off-road rally 4 times! 3 years running and no one pushes the point! It out-runs and out-lasts the Ralliart Mitsubishis that do the Dakar rally!

And why on earth can't we get at least some of the accessories available in Japan? I'd love to have the rear spoiler on my car.
    Our Hombre is actually a rebadged version of the S-10 pickup. The Aussie Rodeo is an actual Isuzu based pickup. You guys get what used to be our Pup a far superior vehicle to the Hombre.

-mike
    The Land Rover Discovery is not a good substitute for a Japanese built SUV.

1. Room is lacking, especially in the 2nd and 3rd row seats.
    2. It rattles, A LOT!
    3. Travelling off-road feels like the end of the world.
    4. Though Ford has improved things to the point where you can travel from A to B reliably, it is still no match in quality to a Japanese built vehicle.

It does have some really good features though, such as Hill Descent Control, etc.

Does Toyota sell the Landcruiser Prado in the US? It is a 3.4L V6 SUV, similar in size and style to the Trooper. It's Jackaroo's closest competitor in Australia, and the only one that is better than Jackaroo off-road. Jackaroo is better on-road. Have a look at www.toyota.com.au.

I'm sure that if Prado was available in the US, there would be less worry about Ascender and the alternatives.

S a v v a s
    Prado = GX470 over here it gets the v8 4.7 engine, just started to be sold as a high end lexus. It should be re-badged as a toyota 4-runner next year with the v6 engine.

What do you think of the Terracan from Hyundai? I was impressed with it but there are no plans to sell it here.

-mike
    Two great alternative choices, for sure! I didn't think of the GX470. I can't remember when it's supposed to be available. You are talking about the new smaller Lexus, aren't you? It's platform is also going to be used in the next generation 4Runner, too, from what I read. I also heard it will start a bit over $40K, but I'm sure it will be worth every penney! Of course, you can't go wrong with the Land Cruiser.
    Paisan ... can't you sleep matey?

Terracan (and all Hyundai's) suffer from quality control problems unfortunately.

I know of two Hyundai Santa Fe owners and they both regret their choices. One had a clutch replaced after only 7000kms (is that around 4000 miles?)

My mother-in-law also had a Sonata which fortunately was destroyed in the Sydney hailstorm of 1999. That was missing the sealant goes between body panels. Hence it travelled like a leaking boat in rain.

S a v v a s
    And if Hyundai is true to form im guessing pricing in the US from the hight 20's to the very low $30's....unfortunately, as you say, no plans to import to the US...things can always change though....
    I'm surprised you don't have the Prado yet. It's been available here since around '96, when it replaced the 4-Runner.

I expect the one you're getting maybe the new version.
    i havent heard of quality issues on a widespread basis in the US in awhile....i do think that Hyundai still has room for improvement, but i still might trust them enough to buy one of their cars
    My dad has a sonata, it's an ok car and for the $ you can't go wrong with it. The GX470 was at the NY Auto Show that I went to on wed. Didn't get a chance to climb in/around it but from the outside it looked good. They said $35-$45K depending on equipment. The 4-runner re-badge will probably be nice as well and if it's made in Japan that is a good sign.

-mike
    Savvas,

I would really be interested in seeing the Toyota landcruiser Prado in the USA. Based on its dimensions, it has a forerunner chassis and powertrain, but with a different body.

It is my understanding and personal observation including a comparison of dimensions and powertrain, that the Lexus GX470 and the Toyota Sequoia have the same chassis and powertrain, but with a slightly different body.
    Sequoia isn't the GX470, the GX470 is the Prado, the new 4-runner will be the Prado also. I belive the TLC and LX470 will be shortly departing the US market and a rebadge Sequoia will replace the LX470 in the lexus line.

-mike
    Savvas,

I would really be interested in seeing the Toyota landcruiser Prado in the USA. Based on its dimensions, it has a forerunner chassis and powertrain, but with a different body.

It is my understanding and personal observation including a comparison of dimensions and powertrain, that the Lexus GX470 and the Toyota Sequoia have the same chassis and powertrain, but with a slightly different body.
    I was remembering from my visit to the Detroit auto show that Lexus and Toyota had their SUV's lined up in a line from small to large. I can recall looking at the GX470 and thinking, rebadged Sequoia. However, according to the website link below, the GX470 matches neither the Prado or the Sequoia....whoops, I apologize, but it is much closer to the Prado than the Sequoia according to the dimensions indicated on the "SUV.com" website. The wheelbase for the Prado is 105.3inches, but 109.8inches for the GX470. Perhaps a typograhical error?

http://www.suv.com/lexus/GX470/

Chad

They may have stretched the Prado for the Lexus line or the Prado dimensions you are getting are for the last generation Prado? We may get the "new" Prado before other markets.

-mike
  • gtroopgtroop Posts: 85
    Mike is correct I believe. I think I heard we will get the next generation - not sure how much earlier though.

This will probably be rebodied and sold as the 4 runner too similar to the recipe for the Highlander/RX300.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    I heard that Toyota was talking with Isuzu about using Isuzu diesels.

I read about a university program that put a European 230hp diesel into a Suburban along with electric braking energy recovery and electric acceleration assist. They said it performed nerly as well as the gasoline Suburban but got 30 MPG. That is the kind of hybrid SUV I would like to see in a new 2004 Trooper. (I know, no more Troopers, but what iffing is fun)
    Guys,

Some links about Terracan....

sydney.citysearch.com.au/feature/333/

&

http://www.overlander.com.au

I heard something similar about making engines for Nissan.

It's somewhere in the Isuzu business plans on the japanese website.

Regards,

S a v v a s
    Dmax is the Isuzu diesel company that is making consumer diesels. Right now they make the Duramax 6.6 TDI for the 2500HD Pickups for Chevy and GMC. They will be making a 3l, 4l and 5l I4, V6 engines as well to be used in the Toyotas and Isuzu SUVs and pickups. Also the CRV in Europe uses an Isuzu Diesel as well.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    Hopefully the newer version has a better back seat. The current 4runner, while awesome looking and great offroad, has a very small back seat. Similar to the Pathfinder. I took a hard look at both before I got my Trooper, But they are SUV's on top of a pickup, the back seat is low, flat and your knees are are in your face. The trooper has one of the best (roomiest and comfortable) back seats I have sat in compared to almost any vehicle I have been in, sedan or SUV. Even with a car seat, it fits 2 additonal adults easily.

Savvas, have you sat in the prado? How close is it to today's 4runner?

The disco is seems good off-road. I read that forum a lot. What I get from reading it...old school infra-structure, can be fixed on the side of the road if necessary...often problems with brake pads wearing out, maybe that is because it uses anti-lock brake retardation, as opposed to supplying power to the non-slipping wheels, like TOD?
  • goblutogobluto Posts: 4
    Looking at 99 Trooper S with 35,000 miles. Pretty clean all around. But I'm wondering what issues I should be aware of and what work is due at this age/mileage (brakes, bearings, fluid changes, tires, etc.). Appreciate any advice you loyalists might have.

Also, I wasn't very impressed with the interior, particularly the seats. Do these things stand up to wear and tear? Do the cushions stay firm? I'm used to the leather seating of an Explorer Limited (about the only good thing about the truck, IMHO). BTW, what's the deal with no armrests? Can you add them to existing seats?