Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    95.5 brought in OBD or OBDII so that would have some differences. Also depends on the DOHC v. SOHC engines.

-mike
    I'm not sure there is a front lift kit out there for the trooper? I did the rear 2" OME springs and cranked my T-bars. I'm going to be replaceing them with sway-away t-bars soon which should lessen body roll. I noticed a slight hit in handling with stock tires from before lift to after lift. Now that I have the 275-70-16s on there it's pretty much back to stock handling with the lift, poly bushings on the sway bars and the wider tires.

-mike
  • mkayemkaye Posts: 184
    Yes, in 96 and after the part-time system went with a push button on the dash to actuate. The lever is def. a part-time, shifts from 4hi to 4lo. Also, the dash pic, there is no TOD display to the left, there are normal gauges, so again, part-time system. I'm curious if the TOD could even operate with the manual. Every time you put in the clutch, the torque needs would suddenly vary.

The pics look to be in a body-shop. If it was rear-ended, likely the doors were replaced and the TOD sticker is from the donor vehicle with TOD. The seller may not be aware of that or can be trying to slip something by. One might email the seller for more info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1829925815

The pedigree looks off. Sounds like a case of buyer beware. Don't forget, 5 speeds have far lower resale values vs. automatics in any given vehicle. There may be a $1,000+ difference even in resale values.

Carfax.com reveals some info, what I don't know:
    VIN: JACDJ58X1X7910673
    Year/Make/Model: 1999 ISUZU TROOPER S
    Body Style: 4 Dr. Wagon/Sport Utility
    Engine Type: 3.5L V6 DFI DOHC
    Manufactured In: JAPAN
    Search Results: 5 records found in our database

IMPORTANT! The 5 records on this 1999 ISUZU TROOPER S will confirm a clean history or uncover potential problems. Find out by ordering the complete CARFAX Vehicle History Report.

• jimmyp1jimmyp1 Posts: 640
    that place is just minutes from my house. I could go look for signs of repairs, etc., and really put the heat on him for why the TOD stickers are there. It could be innocent enough, I have WRX wheels on my Subaru Legacy (but I wouldn't try to sell it as a WRX! :) )

Jim
    Turbo + WRX wheels is close to a WRX :)

-mike
    my profile on iClub calls my car "WRX's daddy"

:)

Jim
    Actually it could be the grandmother of the WRX. I'd guess that the SVX and Legacy turbo are the parents of the 2.5RS, and both those are the children of the RX and XT6 :)

-mike
    I didn't want to get over the average WRX owner's head.....:)

Jim
  • I am in the market for a 98-99 Trooper. I have owned many cars and plenty of both kinds of transmissions. Is there anything I should know about the Trooper transmissions. I suppose if I find a good candidate, I may find my choice made for me. But is there anything I should know as far as problems with reliability with either tranny? Thanks, Lance.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Posts: 118
    Jimmyp1,
    Thanks much for the kind offer to check out that Trooper from Ebay, but I'm going to pass on that one.

Changing the subject, I'd like to expand on texasappraiser's question about auto vs manual transmission. I'd be interested to hear general opinions on which transmission you would prefer in a 98+ trooper and why?

Thanks!
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Posts: 324
    Reading off of the UK website, the manual tranny has a 0-100kmh (62mph) of 11.8s and the auto does it in 9.6. http://www.isuzu.co.uk/models/specs/perf.htm

So the manual isn't faster. I doubt if a mileage difference would be noticeable on these rigs. The only area that a manual has left to excel in is engine brake, which not many people use/need in the first place. A manual is probably better for descending steep hills, but an auto is better for ascending steep hills. The automatic's reverse gear is a little too high for my taste. I wish it were lower, but if I really need it to be lower, I just throw it into low range. The auto is pretty much bullet proof, and I presume the manual is the same.

The thing about the newer automatic trannys is there is no dip stick. Even when they did have dip sticks, you had to drive the Trooper around in order to check it as per the manual. I say go for the auto.

• savvas_esavvas_e Posts: 347
    I really think that it is personal preference and whether or not TOD is important to you. Mine is auto, and I really don't ever feel that I need a manual. I have driven the 3.5V6 with a manual. There is somewhat better response than the auto, but not that much.

For me, TOD is an important factor and that would probably cement the choice for me.

Longer term, I don't want to have clutch replacement hassles. Especially if transfer case needs removing. Generally speaking, when properly maintained, an auto should last just as well as a manual tranny.
    I didn't think the manual would get to 100km/h any slower than the auto. The gear shifts aren't that long as to slow progress by that much.

Either they get a different manual tranny or ratios (unlikely), or the acceleration figures were taken during a pleasant sunday afternoon drive!
    Well for towing and off-road the AT is much better. My guess is that 80% of the Troopers sold since 92 when they got the GM 4L30(iirc that is the #) automatic tranny. I haven't seen any major complaints of the tranny in about 10 years of sales so that has to be worth something for reliability. The MT gives you PT 4wd so for that reason alone I'd go with the AT to get TOD. Also since there are so few MTs out there, my guess is that replacement parts would be scarce.

-mike
  • seanreidseanreid Posts: 152
    Any thoughts welcome on the following:

I went to look at a 2001 Trooper S which is being sold by a private owner with about 25,000 miles on it. It's an auto/TOD. The vehicle is nearly immaculate but he had advertised it as an LS which is what he was apparently told it was when he bought it last fall from a dealer. I believe it was an honest mistake and that this guy, who seems honest and straightforward, isn't very familiar with Troopers. His other vehicles are a Dodge Grand Caravan and a 7-series BMW. The front alignment is off slightly (which he's having fixed this week) and the TOD system indicator would only flash when it was "engaged" (and the front wheels didn't engage). (Any guesses as to why?) He's having that repaired this week also. So, the car has about 25,000 miles basic warranty left and is in excellent shape other than the TOD malfunction and the slight front end misalignment. Tires look good but do I recall correctly that a slight difference in the tire diameters can interfere with TOD? These tires are all same model and same size and seemed to have about the same wear. Maybe not... He was asking $15,800 and I offered $15,000 which I think he's going to accept. What do you think? Having a sunroof put in is going to cost me an additional $1000 or so but it is a 2001...Has anyone on the list put an aftermarket sunroof on a Trooper? Any tips? To my knowledge, Webasto-Hollandia is better made than ASC? Is there any roof interference from a structural beam? Is the stock (LS, etc.) roof reinforced when the OEM sunroof is put in?

Sean
    MT/AT - my basic rule of thumb, over 200 hp = auto, under = manual. Classic examples are Suburbans and Trooper, I would only get A/T. Pathfinder and Forerunner (especially one or two generations ago), I would only get M/T.

Seanreid - You may indeed have found a great deal, BUT a few red flags go up in my head. Weird dash lights and alignment issue at only 25k COULD mean front end damage that's (almost) been repaired. The LS/S mixup, I don't buy it, unless he's just going by what a son or daughter told him the specs were. A guy who owns a 7 series BMW usually knows these things. He also has a strange mix of cars, IMHO. Could he be a guy who repairs damaged cars himself? I guess paperwork could answer a lot of these questions, but don't give in to charisma. Those Carfax accounts seem to be valuable. Try a limited search on that.

Jim
    Jim,

Thanks for the reply. The alignment issue is minor, I noticed it because of a slightly uneven wear pattern on the front tires but 25,000 miles of New England roads can throw off the alignment on anything. It just barely pulls to the right. I'm planning to run a CarFax but I'll bet it comes up clean.

The seller isn't so much charismatic as meticulous, it would seem. The interior is perfect and the exterior is almost perfect. I viewed the car at his fairly luxurious home and I think he's just a Yuppy, nothing worse. I would be shocked if he had the mechanical skills necessary to rebuild cars. As far as the mix of cars, the minivan is apparently his wife's daily driver, the bimmer is his pride and joy and the Trooper was bought as a winter car. That all makes sense to me. The TOD problem is wierd though. As for his honesty regarding mixing up S and LS - hard to say. But the price is fair for an S in good shape. Thanks again for replying. Given that the truck checks out, does the price sound good to you?

Sean
    does seem good, very good ($15k, that is). I bought my 1998 S in April of 1999, and I paid 19k. Mine had 17k miles on it. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. The one thing that still doesn't jive in my mind is, if he's that meticulous, why the LS/S mixup? But, being face to face is much better than me typing down here in Texas, so, go with your gut in the end. Good luck.

Jim
    When I first told him it was an "S" he seemed genuinely surprised and then went to the glovebox to look through the various dealership papers to see where they had told him "LS". Nothing said LS, not surprisingly. He bought it from a Ford dealer I think who may have mislead him or just been ignorant. He, the seller, had thought that the S was a base model and the LS had TOD plus other goodies. But, this is an enthusiast list we're posting on and I think he saw the Trooper mostly as a reliable appliance and so the nuances of model levels may have escaped him. Either way, he's pricing at "S" level so...What I liked is that when I got home tonight, he'd left two messages. The first said that he'd tried to get the truck into his usual dealer Thursday to address the issues with it but couldn't get in 'till next Tues. In the next message, he had tried a different dealer and got an appointment for this week. (I'm going a bit overboard on detail aren't I?) As much as we like these Troopers, they're slow sellers and I think he's glad to have a buyer. I can sympathize as I'm having no luck selling a 1998 RAV4 in excellent condition even at below book. 1:22...I better get some sleep. Thanks for the posts.
    S
    Sean,

Try shifting the H-4L lever into 4L and back to H again, while in Park or Neutral of course. It may not be sitting in H properly.

I've seen that once with mine, and was surprised that the car was able to move in this state. The indicators flashed and the word AUTO wouldn't illuminate, however I still had 2WD and was able to move normally.

As for alignment ... it doesn't seem to be an unusual story. Should be easily fixed.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    That 2001 S sounds like a good specimen. Very good price, but it's probably due to low demand and not to any past problems with the truck.

I think the LS/S mistake is easily explained legitimately. The guy is a meticulous owner in that he takes very good care of his vehicles, but he is probably not an enthusiast who knows tons about cars, reads magazines all the time, etc.

Sounds like a vehicle that has been given a good home. I'd buy it. Whaddya got to lose-- the truck still has 25k miles of bumper-to-bumper warranty on it.
    That is a fair to good price on the truck.

I think that almost all Troopers have a bad alignment. I know I needed to get one at about 1000 miles on mine.

It does appear to be an honest mix-up on the LS/S thing.

The TOD could be what Savvas said or it could have bad speed sensors or a vaccum hose may have popped off.

As for the Carfax, I have found that it takes too long for stuff to show up on there. I bought a "clean" car only to find out 6 months later it hadn't passed emissions, not a major issue, but something that carfax didn't show til after I had bought the car.

As for the moonroof, I'd make sure to get a top quality place to install it, especially if it's gonna be a big one like the OEM unit. In 98 and 99 you could actually get the moonroof on the base model so I doubt there is any extra cross members in there that would get cut.

-mike
    Thanks for the replies. We tried putting the truck in 4-Low and it went in (graph bars flash in low, correct?) but TOD still wouldn't engage afterwards. The owner was driving at the time and told me that he could feel the torque going into the front wheels when in 4L. Sensor or hose sounds possible. There's a very reputable sunroof shop in NH that I'll probably try. Has anyone on the list put in an aftermarket roof? $15,000 is a very good deal for an LS but, checking Edmunds, KBB & NADA, seems to be only a slightly good deal for an S. That said, the dealers don't seem to be going below 17K on 2001 Troopers and this one is in very nice shape.

Cheers,

Sean
    is basically very reliable, yes? Not much reason to worry about future TOD problems?

S
    And a lot of them HARD off-road miles and high-speed on-road and no problems. They are built by Borg and Warner a ledgendary name in Transfer Cases so I wouldn't worry about em.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I agree with the carfax. Did you ask him why he wants to get rid of it? Might be a simple reason. Did you look into new? You might be able to get a new 4wd Auto S model for around 21-22K? Then you don't have any of those used car worries?

All in all it sounds like a good deal. The alignment thing might not get fixed by his shop. These trucks are hard to align, and it usually takes a competent shop to eliminate a pull. A regular Firestone shop for example is probably not equipped or capable of fixing it. So if not perfect at the time of sale, keep that in mind, do a little research and you will only have to make 1 trip to have it done right.
  • serranoserrano Posts: 107
    Sean - If memory serves, in 4L all three status bars should be lit solid because 4L locks the front and rear axles together. If you were taking turns on pavement in 4L, you would most certainly know if it was locked because the driveline bind leads to unusual handling. If it drove normally, then the front axle still wasn't engaging.

I suspect that the Shift-on-the-Fly mechanism that engages the front axle is not functioning properly. If the previous owner did not engage the system periodically, it may be frozen.

Regards,
    Tom
    I wasn't driving when it was in 4Low but all bars showing sounds right (unless the flashing is to remind the driver that it's in 4low?). The owner will have an Isuzu dealer look at it on Thursday and I'm not sure how sophisticated their alignment jig is but we'll soon find out. It's very possible that the owner hasn't engaged the TOD or 4Low since February or so when we had our last big snowstorm. He says he's selling it because his wife says they don't need three cars and wants it gone. Who knows if that's the real reason? I've been telling prospective buyers of my car the truth (I need to get another vehicle that tows and hauls) and they may not believe me either.

A 2002 S...hmmm...had been looking only at LS models...will go investigate that. Thanks.

Sean
    it turns out, is still going to be 25K or better even if the dealer goes under invoice, etc. Now my last purchase, a conversion van for my company, was 53K but getting a nearly-new trooper for 15K is probably too tempting to pass up.
    Thanks for the idea though.

S
    As I thought, it was one of the gazillion rental Troopers bought by dealers at auction and the warranty should run till 11/03 (or 50,000). No salvage, etc.