Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• silverghostsilverghost Posts: 154
    Steve, if your post #5038 is directed to me, I apologize. It did not occur to me that my message was "Commercial Activity", or activity for "Personal Gain", as referenced in the Member Agreement.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,499
    S'ok - there seems to be a lot of Trooper traders around here. Too much in fact :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    are an endagered species! :)

-mike
    Oh yeah in stock form the Xterra has that spare tire hanging real low in the back... Followed one home tonight and was checkin it out.

-mike
  • cubster1cubster1 Posts: 11
    wow.. are you guys serious? Have any of you driven an X for more than 1 mile around the dealership? Comparing the two seems a little strange to me. The X is like a brick compared to the Trooper. Remember, you have to drive on pavement to get to most off-roading sites. As far as off-road goes I have to agree w/ Paisan in ground clearance being measured at your lowest point (diffy, tranny, etc.). Both vehicles can be modified (Calmini) so I'm thinking room, power and luxury with the Trooper over cramped interior, weezing motor and a ride reminiscent of a CJ-5 w/ the X.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    Has anyone significant experience driving both the manual and automatic grade logic TOD 2002 Troopers? I am still thinking about getting a 2002 and both are available, unfortunately a few minutes test drive is not the same as living with a Trooper. I like the fun of a manual, but I like TOD and grade logic too. What MPG difference should I expect comparing the 2002 manual to a 2002 automatic? (I know the sticker is the same, but I think that is because Isuzu did not want to pay to have the MPG study done twice) I get 15 to 17 MPG around town and 18 to 20 MPG highway with my 1995.5 manual. What are the chances I get one of those that I occationally hear about on this discussion that gets 13 MPG? I would never hear the end of it if I "upgraded" to a worse gas guzzler.

I really wish they had the Diesel Trooper for 2002, my wife would let me pay full price to get the better MPG.

Handling: Troopers have better handling than any SUV with 90 cubic feet of cargo capacity or 8 seats (aftermarket third row). Only the Toyota Land Cruiser might handle as well or a little better with about the same cargo and passenger capacity, but that costs twice as much and sucks down a lot more fuel and it still far from a sports car. What other large SUVs have you heard handle better than Trooper? Can anyone compare the handling of the Yukon/Tahoe to the Trooper? I can get the GM employee discount and as an added bonus the dealer warrantee repair shop will get to know me very well.
    You can't get the Gradelogic on the MT, not sure if that's what you meant.

To me the AWD is worth the money. Handlingwise it should be the same other than the engine braking you can apply with the MT.

-mike
  • savvas_esavvas_e Posts: 347
    Xterra isn't available in Australia. We get the real Nissans for offroad like Patrol.

How different is Xterra to Pathfinder?
    The X is pretty different from the Pathy. If you get the Nissan pickup it's basically a nissan pickup with a cap and about 500+ more lbs. weight.

-mike
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Posts: 356
    The Xterra is a pickup truck conversion. It's the Frontier with a body on the back. Kind of like the 4Runner is. It is not at all like the Pathfinder, which is not body-on-frame constructed.

I guess part of the Xterra's ground clearance advantage could be because its rear diffy is smaller. :-0 I still hold that at certain aspects of off roading, like rock crawling, it would be the better vehicle.

All that said, I bought the Trooper and love it.

Regarding the manual versus automatic issue, the automatic will pay for itself at resale time, even if you drive it almost forever.
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    I look at the Xterra as similar to my old 88 Pathfinder. Body on frame, 3.0 liter engine (or thereabouts), automatic hubs. Mechanically it is relatively old-school for an SUV, which I actually see as a good thing. Today's Pathfinder is a luxury unibody not for serious off-road use.

I haven't driven an Xterra, or even sat in one, but would consider one if in the market. But it won't beat the Trooper in size and interior volume for the dollar, not even close.

In terms of off-road capability, these are both pretty capable vehicles, I wouldn't sweat it either way.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    finding those chassis drawings posted on this board a month or two back. Someone had scanned pictures out of a Trooper Maintenance Manual and set up a link to look at them. The ones I'm particularly interested in were of the chassis, drive train, front end suspension and rear suspension. Anybody know where those are?? About what message # they were posted with??
    Happy Trooping!!
  • wheels13wheels13 Posts: 51
    A listener phoned in to CLICK & CLACK with a problem with her Trooper and they couldn't stop laughing. It sounded like the Trooper could be compared to a YUGO in the reliability department. Said they were expensive to repair and never last 100,000 miles.
    Cause for those in the know we can pick up used ones dirt cheap!

-mike
  • I downloaded the PDFs for the front and rear suspension so send me an e-mail and I will send them to you. chapla.t@mellon.com
  • ryanendresryanendres Posts: 122
    http://www.jatdesign.net/

I came across this link on another board. I know it has been discussed here before. This company looks like a US based one. It has seats for the Trooper and Rodeo.

-Ryan

• tkevinblanctkevinblanc Posts: 356
    Click & Clack were hard her 1986 (I think) Trooper. They discussed mostly problems with the engine. They said they didn't know about the new Trooper. In fact, I think they told her to go by a new Trooper and that she'd be love it.

As usual, they were funny and disrespectful of anything that wasn't Toyota or Honda.
    Guys ... I was at a dealer on Sunday, looking at the HSV GTS. I had a wander over to one of the latest Jackaroos and realised that Australia doesn't get the same V6 setup as North America.

On Mike's web site, I noticed a Trooper that had been pulled out of water on a recent trip, that the dressing on the top of the inlet manifolds is different to ours and that there is no throttle cable. With my 2000 Monterey, the top of the inlet manifolds are visible and we have a throttle cable. However, it was only last Sunday that I noticed the new V6 models are the same as mine.

Interesting!
    The ones of Sean's? His is a '98? There are also pics of a 4-banger Amigo we pulled out too.

Maybe you guys didn't get the grade-logic and the Drive-by wire?

-mike
    To the Aftermarket section in the owner's club I'm gonna post some pics of my side bars, mud flaps, T-bar install and K40 CB antenna.

-mike
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    thanks for the response to the request for pictures of the chassis and suspension. I have emailed you my email address from home. I appreciate your offer to send those.
    Happy Trooping!!!
    What holds them on? My 1995.5 does not have them, the 2002s all have them.
    Thank You
    BoxTrooper
    I think they are rivited on or something. They are on pretty good. I tore off my mud flaps which had plastic rivits holding them in.

-mike
    After a decade or two, if the plastic fender flairs get to looking bad, I wonder if they could be removed and the metal fenders made to look nice without the plastic. I hope the fenders are just held on with double side sticky tape and when the plastic is dead they just fall off leaving nice clean metal fenders.
    This is a Diesel Jacakroo without flares. This how we had them until 2001...

I've read quite a few complaints from owners of the newer models about chipping on the flares. Interestingly, mine hasn't got the flares and has suffered no chipping at all.

Also, drive-by-wire and grade logic. I don't think we have got them in any model. Mine definitely doesn't have grade logic and according to the VIN, it's classed as a 2000 model.

• beer47beer47 Posts: 185
    Flares are held on by plastic clips. Cheers!
  • silverghostsilverghost Posts: 154
    for the results of installing polyeurathane sway bar bushings on my '01 Trooper LS 2WD.

Dave
    How difficult is it to remove the fender flairs? How difficult is it to reinstall the fender flairs?

In case there is not a good supply of replacement flairs, is the metal fender below the flairs painted to match the rest of the body?
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    Since SLX = Trooper I'm sure any SLX owner would not have a problem if they brought the car into Isuzu dealership. What do you guys think would happen if I took the Trooper to an Acura dealership for some minor maintenance or other non-warranty repair? Has anyone tried to do it successfully? With the shrinking Isuzu dealer network it'd be good to find out. Thanks!
  • breakorbreakor Posts: 398
    I took off and reinstalled a rear flare over a year ago on a 1999 Trooper. IIRC there were 1 or 2 bolts.
    However there was also a series of fasteners that appeared to be riveted (or glued?) in place. In any event, I couldn't figure out how to simply release them. Instead, I drilled the center of them out and the trim piece pulled off.
    I guess I could have put pop-rivets back in the drilled fastener locations. However, I choose to go back with bolts. Now, if I want to remove the trim I can easily do it with a wrench as all the fasteners have bolt heads.