Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• savvas_esavvas_e Posts: 347
    The truth is that Tenneco Automotive own the Rancho and Monroe brands. The Rancho shocks are made in Monroe's factory in Nebraska. However only the Rancho RS1000 is a rebadged Monroe product. The RS5000 and RS9000 are standalone products.

I also thought that the RS9000 is a gas shock. However, going back through the Rancho website I can only find mention of the RS5000 being a gas shock.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Also I think that company also makes things like mufflers and stuff too?

hmm I heard the RS9000s are just adjustable 5000s.

-mike
  • bawbcatbawbcat Posts: 118
    The RS9000 is not gas charged. See below for info from the FAQ on the Rancho web site (http://www.gorancho.com/faq/rs9000.stm):

The RS5000 uses the same technology, i.e. it is not gas charged either. Some people have stated that the RS5000 is equivalent to the RS9000 set on 3. I don't think that is true. They are similar shocks in design, but the RS5000 is advertised as having 10-stage valving, and if I recall correctly, the RS9000 was advertised as having 15-stage. The new RS9000x (different from the original RS9000) has 17-stage.

-----------------------------------------
    2. Are the RS9000's gas-charged?

No, The RS9000 are not a gas pressurized shock. Gas charging is of several methods by the shock absorber industry to control the internal fluid.

3. If they're not gas, what does "Cellular Gas" mean?

Cellular gas technology is a high quality closed cell foam material. Cellular gas technology allows 100% oil fill of the shock absorber that increases heat dissipation, reduces heat fade and allows the shock to operate in either orientation.
    Yesterday I removed the driver's seat from my car as one bolt had worked its way loose in the frame, causing an annoying shifting of the seat when braking. Fixed all that up and it's like a new one now.

But while I had it out, I took the opportunity to look over the TOD control module. I spotted one, solitary, empty connector on one of the plugs that connects to the module. The other plug was fully wired. I was tempted to put power to this empty connector and see what happens, but was running out of time. However, I will get back to it in the next couple of weeks and test it with a multimeter.

I recall Mike saying that there is a 4H input shown in the schematics and I'm guessing that this is it.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    OK, lets hear it for gas mileage on the 3.5L Trooper. I want to hear what mileage you folks with the 99' model are getting. I've owned a 88' a 97' a 99' and an 01'. It seems the 99' is getting the worst mileage of all of them. Explain that!! Anybody getting in the upper teens in mileage with this year model??
    The Rancho 9000's are NOT gas charged. That became obvious when I installed mine. The other thing I noticed was the original factory shocks on my 97' Trooper had a dead spot of about 3/8" when changing direction. I noted this after removing them to install the Rancho's. Pulling and pushing on the stem revealed the dead spot. I suppose this is not uncommon for shocks with 60K miles on them. Noticable improvement in ride when the Rancho's were installed.
    That's about right on the milage. Don't forget the '99 is the heaviest and biggest engine of them.

With my stock setup I got 20mpg once on the highway @ 60mph and 38psi in the tires.

Normally I get abour 17mpg with the lift + steps + loaded down with tools + 275 tires + 77mph

-mike
    Mine ranges anywhere from 18L/100km (approx 15mpg)in city driving and 11L/100km (approx 25mpg)in highway cruising.

Most trips away that include four wheel driving usually return 14L/100km (approx 21mpg).

My conversions from metric to imperial are a bit rough, mind you. Also keep in mind that Australian standard unleaded ranges from 91 to 93 octane so we may get slightly better mileage than the USA where standard unleaded is 89 (is that correct?). The highway cruising figure is achieved with 98 octane fuel.
    But your fuel uses a different system of Octane rating so I think yours is actually lower Octane. I got better milage with 87 than 93 (did about 5K with each)

-mike
    It's an ISO rating that is used in Australia. The problem with standard Australian fuel is the way it is manufactured, we tend to have more additives to bring it up to spec rather than it being refined properly. The 95 and 98 octane fuel are refined correctly and generally have to be to provide for the higher tech Japanese and European motors.

I tend to run the 98 simply because it is cleaner and keeps the motor cleaner. It's also 10% dearer, but it evens out as the car tends to use 10% less than 91 anyway.

Pity that we don't get Japan's 100 octane stuff. Mitsubishi and Isuzu both have normally aspirated versions of their V6s that can produce 220kw and 250kw respectively, running on 100 octane.

Mind you, the Isuzu motor gets 250kw at 7000rpm. This is the same motor used in competition by Bruce Garland in the Holden Rally Team.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    My 99 averages around 12-14 around town. More 12...however I do lots of short trips...My work is only 15 minutes from home so it is hard to get a good read. If I strip off the roof rack and do highway driving @65 mph I can get over 18 fairly consistently. Offroad I get about 10 mpg.

Is the '99 heavier than the 2000 an up? I wouldn't think there would be much difference.
  • I noted from a web site description that the Monroe Reflex comes with rubber bushings while the Bilsteins, KYGs, etc. come with poly bushings. Would that make much of a difference over time? I can't imagine that the poly bushings are more than a few cents more each... of course, you probably couldn't find appropriately sized ones.
    the 98-02 should all weigh about the same. The original poster though was comparing it to his 95? and/or 89? Which were lighter IIRC than the 98-02

-mike
  • tek182tek182 Posts: 6
    Hey guys, I haven't checked the board in a while so I missed Breakor's comments on the engine trouble. Well guess what, mine was the #1 cylinder too! That to me sounds like alot more than mere coincidence! To top it all off, I just got a call from the dealer where my trooper is (400 mi away, it broke while on vacation), and the new short block they installed was no good. He said they started it up and it was making a real bad noise. They tore it down and he said they had a hard time turning it with a breaker bar(yes, it did have oil in it I was told). So he said he would order another one, which will take a week to get there. He also told me that they don't make a long block, because that is what I requested. Hopefully, all will go well with my old heads on this new block. At this point, I would just like to get it back. With all these problems, I wonder if there is any chance of a recall. Thank God this happened while it was still under warrenty! Thanks for all the info everybody, keep on Troopin!
  • robb36robb36 Posts: 1
    Hey all, I just purchased an '02 Trooper S. I just filled it up, and did my first MPG calculation. After reading posts here and elsewhere, I fully expected to see 13-15 MPG. I got 18.6 MPG with 70% highway and 30% city driving! Needless to say I'm very happy with that, considering I only have 168 miles on the clock.
  • njdadnjdad Posts: 9
    This is a great forum and although I've only recently been reading it, I've learned a
    great deal about Trooper issues and recommendations. And now I'm jumping in to
    share my experiences and to get feedback on a bunch of questions I have.

I have a 1996 Trooper S with a 5spd manual transmission. It currently has 128K
    miles. I've had some issues with this Trooper over the years:

1) My manual transmission had to be replaced at about 90K. This was tough to
    swallow since I thought I'd NOT have transmission troubles with the 5spd vs. an
    automatic. Anyone have similar problems with their manual transmission? I'm not
    too familiar with manual transmissions, but what basically happened was the main
    gear was stripped down to the shaft ( I saw it). Supposed reason: The tranny guy said they put the Rodeo manual transmission in the Troopers and because the Trooper is larger it puts
    more stress on the transmission. Who knows.
    2) The 4WD solenoid went bad and I had to have that replaced at about 100K. I
    was assured that it wasn't linked to the new trans and it made sense to me.
    3) I've also been experiencing the ticking from the engine. I guess it's the lifters from
    what I've been reading on this site.

Otherwise, I love the Trooper and the size and utility it offers.

OK, now I'm looking for some recommendations on a few things. Any advice
    would be greatly appreciated:

1) Tires. I need to replace the Pirelli Scorpions that I have on it now. I do about
    95% road riding (alot of it highway) and 5% snow. From research on tirerack.com,
    it seems the Yokohame Geolander H/T Y816 tires seems like a good choice.
    Anyone have an opinion on these tires for my driving or any other tire
    recommendations?
    2) Engine Oil. I've been reading about using Mobil 1. This is synthetic oil I'm
    guessing. I've been using the cheapest oil I can find and change my oil about every
    4000 miles or so. It does burn oil now and ticks as mentioned before. Is the Mobil
    1 really worth using? What grade should be used (I live in NJ)?
    3) Shocks. I've never replaced my shocks and I've been reading about them alot on
    this site. I'm not sure that I need them since I haven't noticed a real change in driving
    comfort, although I'm trying to be more attentive now. If I get them replaced, I've
    seen a post about the Mornoe Reflex - is this a good choice or is there another you
    recommend?
    4) Are there other good Trooper forums?
    5) Chance of my getting to 200K without serious engine repairs???

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Our 96 Trooper S (4x4, as all were back then) got better fuel economy than does our 98 Trooper S w/Perf. Package. This is in spite of the fact that the EPA ratings are 14 mpg city / 18 hwy on the 96 and 15/19 on the 98.

Our 98 gets 18-19 on straight highway and about 16.5-16.7 overall, with 60-70% city, 30-40% highway. Straight city would probably be 14-15.
    Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com there is lots of info there. Also I see NJ in the login, from NJ? We usually go offroading in NJ 1x a month so look for "Pine Barrens Trail Ride" posts.

-mike

There's gotta be more 99' owners out there willing to talk about their mileage.. I'm curious about that statement, about the 99' being heavier than the 00-02 models. I just don't know about that. Why would it be? It's the same engine and drive train. I would think the models with the 'grade logic' would get less mileage since the engine does the braking when going down grades of noticeable decline. The engine never gets an opportunity to 'free-wheel'. There's gotta be something different about the 99' fuel system to cause it to perform a little less efficiently, but what could it be?? 14 mph in the 99' is much different than 17-18 in the 01' model.
    You guys getting 18-21mpg are really lucky!! I would make a few adjustments if I thought it would give me those mileage numbers. Happy Trooping???
    99 was heavier?

the 00-02 have drive-by-wire which is probably a more precise fuel delivery? maybe? Just grasping at straws.

I've found driving style has a big effect. I can knock mine down to 10mpg easily if I drive balls to the wall in city traffic.

-mike
  • My mileage sucks, but that's because I drive 6 miles back and forth to work, and about 4 miles back and forth to Home Depot. In Suburban D.C. you have to stop and go a lot because the moron in the Lexus in front of you (a lawyer/lobbyist probably) is too busy talking on the cell phone to start and stop smoothly.

Seriously, short stop-and-go trips are much worse than short non-stop-and-go trips, which are worse than long non-stop-and-go trips. If you drive hard, everything is worse.

I expect about 12-13 MPG with my commute. On the highway, at 65, I expect about 22 MPG. On the other hand, the mileage is only a little better in my wife's Sienna in this kind of driving. It's rated 22/26, I think. Even my old 4 cyl Ford Ranger only got about 17 in these conditions, but over 30 on the highway.
  • breakorbreakor Posts: 398
    Some guy named Paisan. Here is the quote -"Don't forget the '99 is the heaviest and biggest engine of them." This was in message #5287 in response to someone having a 99 and an 01 among other vehicles.

This is how rumors get started by something being slightly mistyped and/or taken out of context.
    By my count the grand total of ALL "verified" #1 cylinder problems to-date is now 2 including tek182's.

Moody's and freerlove's problems were admittedly caused by having little or no oil in the engine. It could still be that the 2 reported #1 cylinder problems have the same cause. What about it tek182, what did your dealer tell you caused the #1 bearing problem? Did any of the other bearings, or other engine areas for that matter, show unusual wear? Was your engine losing oil and did you properly refill it in a timely manner? Or were you like freerlove and never checked going 6000+ miles between oil changes?

The conclusion I am still left with is that a high percentage of these engines (Paisan's 25% figure sounds about right to me) use oil. If you don't watch this and replace the lost oil you will be needing a new engine.

Just my $.02.
  • schweikbschweikb Posts: 111
    KYB shocks do not have poly bushings. I put GasAdjusts on my 98 Trooper about 2 years ago (they were rubber); just replaced them with MonoMax's (they are rubber). Just giving information, not intending to be critical.
    Also, with my 98 Trooper S automatic (with 96,000 miles on it - bought new) I have been recording every drop of gas I put in it since day one. Overall average is 17.1 mpg with the 3.5 v-6. During the course of the winter I notice a drop in overall mpg (went down to 16.8 by last April) then it picks up again as the warmer weather comes and now stands at the 17.1. My Excel spreadsheet shows overall lifetime mpg and "since last fill-up" mpg. The latter ocassionally drops to 11 mpg and sometimes hits 22mpg depending on when and what I'm doing.
  • Thanks for straightening me out: I was probably mixing the Bilstein and KYB. Do you like the MonoMax's?

Your mileage is better than mine by a long shot. Clearly, though, if you've put 96K on it - I put 8K on mine in a year - you drive a lot more than I do. Mostly highway?
  • Would you share your excel spreadsheet since I just bought my Trooper and was thinking of tracking the mileage for a while? I could fiddle with Excel, but why re-invent the wheel...

If you care to, please email to tle_port@hotmail.com

Thanks.
    The Mono Max is a tremendous improvement over the KYB Gas Adjust and light years beyond the stock Trooper Tokico shocks. The Gas Adjusts were good for handling on smooth roads but were incredibly stiff on bumps, potholes washboard, etc. The Trooper leaned less into a corner than with the stock shocks, but if you hit anything rough halfway through the turn the vehicle would move sideways. The Mono Max's are much softer riding, absorb almost anything in terms of rough road surface, but at the same time limit the lean or roll even more. I love them!
    Yes, my driving is a lot highway. Mon - Fri I have a suburban highway roundtrip of 25 miles and virtually every weekend I have been putting on 300 miles going up to my weekend house (hence the high odometer mileage in just over 4 years). I recently purchased a 2002 Altima 2.5 S automatic which is relieving the Trooper during the warmer months. But come the snow season the Trooper will probably be back in action quite a bit.

To tle_port:
    I will be happy to send you the spreadsheet I have been using on the Trooper, but cannot do that until next Tuesday since I'll be away upstate until then (I,m at work now).
  • tek182tek182 Posts: 6
    The dealer said the problem was probably due to low oil. The problem with that is I just had the oil changed at the dealership where I live (yes, I did check the oil afterwards and before starting my trip). This was done approx 500mi. before any major problems. As a matter of fact, I had to have all the maintenance records faxed to the dealer for the Isuzu rep. The longest I ever went between oil changes was about 4500mi. and I checked the oil regularly. I still don't see any reason why an engine this young (58000mi) should burn that much oil. When I get the new one back, I am going to run Mobil 1 from the beginning and see if that helps. Paison said it reduced oil consumption in his case and I had heard about the Troopers boiling off oil before. Thanks for the info.
    Thanks for the response and sorry for all your hassles.

It sounds like you did all you could to properly maintain your vehicle. (Note: I had since reviewed the old posts and found that you started having the oil usage problem at 50k mis. Thus, you no doubt had good reason to be deligently checking for the proper level.) Something must have changed within the last 500mis. causing a dramatic decrease in the oil level and the damaged engine.

Be sure to continue to save all your maintenace records. While I certainly hope you don't have any future problems, it does make me wonder if the dealer really knows what he is doing (screwed up engine block work, you take it in with engine noises they find a rattling muffler shield and shortly thereafter the engine dies). In fact, once he is done it might not be a bad idea to have another dealer check the work. For example, I might trot it right over to another dealer or at least pay another one to do the next few oil changes and tell them to look for any engine problems while they are at it.

Good luck.
    I will be happy to send you the spreadsheet I have been using on the Trooper, but cannot do that until next Tuesday since I'll be away upstate until then (I,m at work now).