Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Ken,
    Thanks for the info. That answered my question about the front springs :) I too take a 3500lb boat trailer up to the mtns upstate ny and luckily didn't notice any low-rider effect, but it did go down about an inch. You also answered my next question which would have been "how high does it raise the back" cause I would like to get the same type of setup, where it won't sag when loaded. What hitch do you have on yours? I have the Hidden Hitch which was a dream to install.

-mike
  • what, what, what? could you please explain where did you find rattle in front dash? I have a noise in the dash, but it seems to be plastic rubbing sound rather than rattle, when I drive on the roads that are not smooth (99% of the time in Chicagoland). I cannot identify the precise location, but it drives me nuts.
    Viktoria,
    Do you have an Isuzu wind deflector/bug guard on the front of your truck? If so, the portion that wraps around the sides usually slaps against the fender causing a rattling sound. I snapped off the side of mine by accident and my noise went away, so i snapped off the other side to match.

-mike
  • Viktoria,
    Sorry I didn't reference the original post (you would of had no idea I was talking about the wind deflector). Paisan is right, the right side of the deflector was tapping on the side of the Trooper. It sounded as if it was coming from inside the dash. I placed a round piece of felt on the small plastic nub that touches the truck and it stopped the noise. I hope this helps.
  • Mike-

The springs were about $215 including shipping. The OME springs, which would have raised the rear 1-1.5 inches, would have been about $50 less, but I did not want any lift (at that time,) because I had no intention of doing any serious off roading that would require larger wheels/tires, etc. I just want an extremely competent tow vehicle / people mover/ do-everything vehicle. The shocks changed the RATE of lean of the vehicle, so it doesn't reach 'full lean' so quickly, and it feels more secure. The springs should control the total amount of lean, to an extent, making the maximum lean angle less.

I also have the Hidden Hitch, which as you say was very easy to install.

So far, I have installed the Superwinch manual hubs, the hitch, the Ranchos, and I am waiting to install the springs. I will probably change the anti sway bar bushings to the poly bushings from JC Whitney. I also replaced the stock speakers with Polk ex602 up front and dx4 in the back, for dramatically clearer sound.

Is there a model number for the Hella horns you put in your Trooper, or are they just 'super tones?'
  • gpm5gpm5 Posts: 785
    Does a change in shocks only allow for a greater front and rear axle load. Presently, the trooper is set-up for only about 1000 lbs of load based on the gross vehicle weight shown on the door post. This was apparently on a program the other night on overloading SUVs--apparent 5 people and 5 pieces of luggage can exceed the 1000 lbs--although 5 adults in a trooper with 5 pieces of luggage is, I think, unlikely.
    http://catalog.com/susq/hella/misc.htm#horn

Is where I got em. They aren't the supertones, they are the 85100 Triple Trumpet Horns 240watts.

I wired em up http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper into the relay that came with them, and then into the stock relay under the hood, so that when I hit the horns, I get the triple trumpets & the stock horns. They are very loud, but they are quite effective.

-mike
    Man, when I go camping, we put 5 paisan sized guys, fill the rear section to the roof, put a roof rack on, and tow a 3500lb boat behind it! I guess i'm over the limit for sure...

-mike
    sounds like it--the GVWR is about 5550 lbs--but the question is are there shocks (air shocks?) that can help this situation.
    Hmm 5500lbs only puts you at about 1000lbs of people, gear, accessories, and tounge weight... What's up with that?

-mike
  • Where did you get the hubs? I assume these are the manual type hubs, which is what I prefer. I did this on my Toyota 4x4 that has Auto Disconnecting Differential (ADD) and did not come with manual hubs. Fortunately, Warn makes a hub to fit the Toyota - it has saved lots of wear and tear on the CV joints, axle boots, etc. Unfortunately, they do not make one for the Trooper.

Any tips on installing the Superwinch hubs? How much did they cost? How easy? How long did it take? Is the workmanship as good as Warn hubs? Are the hubs fully sealed using o-rings, etc?

Thanks in advance.

offroader
    I think 0-60 times are somewhat over-rated, especially in slightly slick conditions. My 0-40 was exceptionally fast up against a corvette when I had 4WD TOD engaged--yeah sure he may have let me have it (or was afraid of spinning out), but we weren't breaking any speed limits in that little bit of acceleration.
    I had power drive engaged.
    I'm a subaru guy also (that's what got me into AWD in the first place) and there have been numerous instances where my old '88 XT6 has totally blown away sports cars in the rain (stoplight to stoplight).

I read a posting somewhere about a guy in an Outback Sport who raced a mustang 5.0 and the mustang followed the OBS down a ramp that curved under the highway to make a U turn, well the mustang was upset that the OBS beat him and followed him full tilt through the turn... the mustang slid off the curve and down a wet grassy embankment... The subie guy was a nice guy so he turned around and went back to throw a tow rope down and pull the stang out, but the guy in the Mustang got out at the bottom of the embankment and was screaming up to the guy in the OBS and cursing. So the guy in the OBS got in his car and left.

-mike
  • Looks like the Ranchero 9000 Shocks are the way to go.. Just bought a 2000 Trooper 4wd S, if anyone knows where to get these shocks, (online or retail) please advise. Thanks
    Maybe we should find an online supplier of the rancho 9000s and get a group buy going? Anyone interested? I'd be in for 4 of em.

-mike
    Will those allow an increase in the GVWR over the 5550 lbs?
    Definitely, in the real world, 4WD TOD does make a real difference in acceleration.
    GPM, I believe, and someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but your shocks don't actually hold the body off the axles, rather the springs to the weight holding and the shocks stop the car from continually bouncing up and down after hitting a bump.

-mike
    Not to belabor the point, but this crash illustrates some significant findings about the trooper and how it behaves in crashes (other than those conducted in a so-called vacuum). 40 mph into a caddy doing about 40 in the perpendicular direction with braking applied on the trooper is much different than a crash test. All of these things produce a much different result than 40 mph into a wall with no braking, no shift in the weight of the trooper, no sideways torque on the frame due to the other vehicle having a perpendicular trajectory. Once again, glad to hear that the trooper did its job.
    Are all shocks like that? I once had air shocks that actually jacked up the back end of a '71 Dodge Charger. This was preferred over using the extensions off of the frame of the vehicle, which actually put more tension on the leaf springs.
  • Rattle: Thanks for the advice on the rattle...like the solution too...felt pad.

Shocks/Springs/bushings: Geez, you guys must not have been driving a 12-yo truck with hardly any springs/shocks left recently...lol. I suppose upgrading these will make an improvement...but the stock vehicle is already so improved over my old truck that I'm in no hurry to do these things. May consider a Ranch 9000 group buy though.

Tires: Mine are the Goodyear Wranglers. I have no big concern with them one way or another.

Wheelskin cover: Sounds like a XMAS list item for me too.

Plan on installing Waag front center bar. Best price I found so far is $185. Anybody know of a better deal?

Has anybody replaced their stock headlight bulbs? Any recommendations for type? Do you need to purchase at a specialty store/online...or would Trak Auto or Pep Boys carry them?

TOD/Power button: Couple days ago in the rain I was trying to merge...had TOD engaged, Jeep Grand Cherokee would not let me in (the fool!), hit power button and zipped on by him....sweeeet!

Happy Troop'n...Mark
  • Has anybody tried to mount either the 550 or 450 Hella driving/fog lights in the '99 front bumper fog light enclosures?
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    Normal shocks don't support weight, they just dampen motion. They can help with heavy loads mainly by increasing control, but not by carrrying any weight.

Some high pressure gas shocks, such as Bilstein, can actually raise a vehicle slightly due to the gas pressure. I put Bilsteins on my previous vehicle (Blazer) and they raised it maybe a quarter of an inch.

Air shocks are a different animal altogether, they are designed to carry weight by using very high air pressure in the shock.

BTW, I have Old Man Emu shocks on my Troop, I like them alot and would recommend them if you want a firmer ride. Not adjustable, though.
  • There is a good article about putting on the manual hubs:

http://www.outdoorwire.com/4x4/isuzu/tech/manualhubs/?

I got the hubs on line, I do not remember where, but if you do a search you will find several places that sell them for about 90-100 dollars.
    The above article has tips for installing, and it was very easy. I think it took about 2 hours with serious lollygagging. I'm not even sure if the wheel had to come off, but I did jack it up and take off the wheel. One thing they understate in the article is that the hex nuts are a [non-permissible content removed] to remove. You can either put an allen wrench in them and whack on the end of the wrench with a hammer for 10 minutes x12 bolts, or you can use an impact wrench. If you have access to air tools, get a hex wrench socket and hit it with the impact wrench; it will be worth it. You could also have a shop loosen them for you, if one will do you a favor.

The hubs are permanently greased, I did not note how they seal, but you use RTV sealer when putting on the hub and when closing up the hub, so it should remain dry inside the hub.

I was hoping to see an increase in MPG, but it has been minimal, and I'm not certain if I felt a power increase due to the loss of parasitic drag, but at least the CV joints don't spend their time uselessly spinning all summer. As a bonus, I can now engage 4Wlo without locking the hubs, and it is very easy to idle my boat out of the lake and to maneuver it around the storage yard.

good luck.
    -Ken
  • No, I do not have a bug deflector. So this must be something else...
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Are there any retailers, on-line merchants, or other sources that sell typical automotive fluids (engine oil, auto trans fluid, power steering fluid, gear oil, etc.) at cheap prices? I would like to put synthetic blend or full synthetic fluids in my 98 Trooper, but paying $3 per quart for synthetic blend ATF or $5 per quart for Mobil1 synthetic ATF seems pretty expensive, especially since the auto trans capacity is 9.1 quarts.

I’m currently buying synthetic blend oil at $1.99-2.19 per quart on sale (Castrol or Valvoline) for my Trooper, and Mobil1 synthetic for my 95 Ford Contour at $3.89 per quart at Target.

Anybody have any ideas how/where to save some money on fluids?
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    I know some people have upgraded their speakers, has anybody installed separate 1" tweeter/6.5" speakers on the front door? I got a set of Boston Acoustics separates on closeout cheap (relatively), just wondering if there are any problems that need to be overcome, install kits needed, how to install crossover, etc. I appreciate any input!
  • Did you install yours? Did it go well? They just sent me e-mail - they have 10% off sale. So if yours went well, I might do it, too.