Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• gao16gao16 Posts: 7
    I'm having a little problem with my Trooper and before I took it to the dealer I want to see if anyone has experienced the same problem.

When the truck is started after sitting for a while(usually overnight or 8 hours at work)it will make a rattling noise like a loose heat shield. It only does this at certain RPM and the problem goes away after a few minutes. The engine also runs roughly while it rattles.

Like I said, after a few minutes both problems go away and the truck drives great. In my opinion it is a bad catalytic converter. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Greg
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    It's a bad muffler most likely. Conway who used to post up here had that problem, and my buddy also had that problem on his. Dealer replaced the muffler and it's all good now.

-mike
    The rough idle may or may not be related to the muffler. It could be the intake manifold gasket which has also cropped up as a problem.

-mike
    ...But both problems go away at the same time just a few minutes after the engine is started. Also it is not so much a rough idle as a slow acceleration accompanied by a jerkiness.
    Ok then the 2 are probably related to the muffler and/or cat. My guess is that the muffler is the culprit.

-mike
    ...because the Dodge van that I drive at work has a very bad rattle that the mechanic immediately diagnosed as a bad cat. I know the makes are totally different but I will generalize anyway.

Oh well, time to bring it to the dealer. Too bad, I don't want to leave it there-it's a great truck.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    My 1995.5 3.2L SOHC Trooper lifter ticking has once again stopped. But while it was ticking it was on my mind to swap for a tick proof newer Trooper.

I really like a manual shift, it makes driving more fun. I really like the TOD function for slippery highways. So, it would be hard to choose between them. I think the TOD plus automatic downshifting would be my choice. Without the auto downshift I would again choose manual.

Which years / models of Trooper TOD automatic transmissions have the automatically downshift going down hills? Does this feature only work with cruise control on? Can you get the autodownshift feature without leather seats?
  • serranoserrano Posts: 107
    Boxtrooper,

I believe that 2000 and up models have the grade logic transmission software.

Regards,
    Tom
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    My 99 does not have grade logic built into it. However, when 4wd is engaged, it does provide resistance when you come off the gas? Nothing in my documentation says grade logic, but I have read that this is a feature of TOD. So in wet weather in TOD, downhills the truck is applying gearing to all 4 wheels. It does this on flats too when you come off the gas.
    2000->2002 Have grade logic trannies. All ATs in 00->02 Have it. They also got drive-by-wire as well. What happens is if you are in a downslope and let off the gas completely it will shift down to 3rd gear to effectively apply engine braking w/o having to hit the brakes. It works best going from 4->3 and 3->2 definitely worth getting a 00->02 IMHO.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    Yeah I have noticed on my 99 the tranny doesn't "freewheel" (coast without engine braking) when you let off the gas . Which is good, because freewheeling would be a bad thing for going down steep hills off-road ...
    I think pre-grade-logic trannys would un-lock the torque converter instead of downshifting. This will provide some resistence but not as much as a downshift.

-mike
  • thorjstthorjst Posts: 1
    I was recently told by a friend that his friend (a dealer) told him that there has been a history of engine problems in Isuzu Trooper engines, a problem with distribution of oil at mid mileage, that the engines should have been recalled. He was apparently fairly adamant about this going on to state that there have been engine failures due to this and a lot of lawsuits. Has anyone heard of this?
    There have been some head problems in early 90s trucks but this causes sticking lifters. No engine failures to my knowledge. Maybe he had some customers who have had problems due to poor maintenance and they were adament about poor isuzu quality.

Most engines goe for 200+K miles

-mike
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Posts: 324
    It is known that the 3.2 leaks oil around the spark plugs/manifold seal (???). No known engine failures to my knowledge. I have a '95 3.2L A/T with 87k and burns/loses a quart every 5000 miles. No big whoop for me.
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    First I've heard of that, and I have been hanging around here for about 2 years.

The only consistent problem I have heard on the 3.5L is the intake manifold gaskets in cold weather, and that is a relatively easy repair.

Some of the 3.2L have a problem with noisy hydraulic lifters, not sure if that affects longevity or is just annoying.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    I could use input on which model Trooper to purchase between 98-02 models. What are the pro's and con's for these models? It looks like they are going to Total my 97' so I'm looking to replace it. Did the engine change any from 98-02?? I know most of the other changes with TOD etc. I think. Any ideas and input is appreciated. I just got my Rancho's installed on the 97' 2 days before accident. That sucks!! I have a Hidden Hitch purchased ($99) from Whitney, I'll install that on my 01' Trooper. I also bought the poly sway bar bushings for the 97' but I'll put them on the 01' as well.
  • cwmosercwmoser Posts: 227
    bsmart1,

IIRC, the 1998 Troopers were 3.2L engines, while the 1999-2002 are 3.5L engines. Additionally, the 2000 and later Troopers utilize "drive by wire" where the gas peddal is not mechanical - instead it is electronic. 2000 and later models have a 10 year warrantee that is transferrable only to members of your family. Also, 2001-2002 have better grade logic in the transmission. All of these feature are not deal killers - all are good trucks and go for the best deal.

What I would consider most important are things you can easily overlook such as if you are in a hot climite, look for Troopers with tinted glass. Additionally, if you can obtain the oil consumption history, go for the one that uses least amount of oil as Trooper engines vary on oil burn from 1qt per 1,000 miles to almost no oil loss between oil changes.
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Posts: 324
    not the 3.2 as I recall.

:-)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    Edmunds says the 3.5L was standard in '98.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.