Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• marty2marty2 Posts: 11
    Hi paisan,

Thanks for the welcome,I live in Albany and plan on taking the kayaks to the South Pond area this weekend Sat.or Sunday.Lucky you to have a place in the Adirondacks. Marty
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Cool, I'll be up at my place in Caroga Lake July 3->14 so maybe we can hookup and compare troopers.

-mike
    I find it to work great here in NYC.

2000 was the first year with auto-climate. But no extra fan on the condenser. That extra fan is very useful apparently.

-mike
  • pica1pica1 Posts: 23
    I was sent to a local dealership tonight to check out a late model Outback. It wasn't there, but a white 2001 Trooper caught my eye.

The dealership was closed, so I don't know how many miles are on it. They want $16,999 for it. It appears to have 4WD, a 3.5L engine, automatic transmission, cloth seats and torque on demand (no sunroof or any other luxury items, so maybe it's a base model). The exterior seems to be in very good condition.

Also, the windshield carries a "certified used vehicle" sticker. It's a Ford dealership, however, so I don't know how the Trooper was certified.

I'm looking at a Legacy L, but the Trooper seems to have a lot of room and I've always been partial to trucks. Is '01 Trooper (generally speaking) a decent used vehicle? Are there things to watch out for? Am I a nut for considering this as an alternative to a new Legacy?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    17 grand for a nearly new Trooper sounds pretty good to me. You are getting a TON of vehicle for the money. If you can use more room than the Legacy and don't mind significantly worse gas mileage (mid teens city, high teens highway seems to be the average on the 3.5L Troopers), this is a great vehicle. Trooper shares many characteristics of Subarus: more 'personality', less common, very reliable, etc etc etc.

The newer Troopers are quality vehicles at cheap prices. Consumers are largely unaware of how good they are.
    Being a subie and Isuzu nut... I almost bought a legacy wagon in 2000 had a deposit on it and everything. Then I drove the Trooper and bought it instead. Subies are great cars but the value in a Trooper is a lot more. On par or better reliability as subies, tons more luxury and room. Downsides are fuel economy and handling. I'm not gonna lie to you the handling of a 4500lb truck-based vehicle is not the same as a legacy (my dad has a legacy, uncle has an outback, cousin has an outback, I have an XT6)

That also seems like a real good price. Let us know how it goes, also let us know where it is if you don't buy it, someone here might be interested in it.

-mike
  • Hey is it just me or does the new format SUCK?
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    I am watching for awsome deals on Troopers, If there is a real deal that I can't pass up, I may have to alter my 10 year 200K+ before selling a Trooper rule on my 1995 with only 125K.

I want "grade logic TOD" or manual and limited slip 4WD and a light color since I live in the sunny South.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I don't really see much of a difference. I use SUV all discussions. It is the same as before other than font changes? I assume with the display changes they made a lot of search engine changes?
  • I can click on view all to bring up all the discussions instead of the way they now have them broken out. I guess it just means a few extra clicks. Add a couple more clicks and it turns the site into a Rube Goldberg.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    You might want to play around with the Message Center/Read Subscriptions buttons. Saves a lot of clicks.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

The salesman and me, parked on the side of the road trying to figure out why the TOD indicator was flashing its rear wheels at us.

The Trooper (2001, 3.5L, automatic, 34,002 miles) seems like a nice truck. Lots of room, although whomever had it for the past year certainly used it hard (dirt here, plastic trim scuffed there, etc.) The cloth seats looked to be in good shape, though, and the white paint and silver trim looked nice.

However, once I turned the key and began pulling out of the parking space, I saw the TOD indicator rear wheels flashing. Neither of us knew why, but the salesman suggested that perhaps the flashing was normal.

A couple of minutes later, the word "check" flashed on in a little box below the rear axle. Hmmmm...

So I pulled over onto a small dirt parking area. We spent 15 or so minutes flipping through the owner's manual trying to find out why the rear wheels were flashing.

In fooling around with the 4WD transfer case lever, I also noted that the front wheels only lit up for 4Low when the lever was moved JUST SO. All the way forward, and the light wouldn't come on. Maybe it's a bad sensor. Maybe it's a bad switch. Maybe it's something I don't want to fool with.

The salesman said that the truck was still under Isuzu warranty (less than 2,000 miles worth) and suggested that it could be looked at by Isusu. I'm wondering why if a vehicle isn't right they's try to sell it anyway (but that's just me)

Aside from the TOD issue and the handling, it seems like a nice vehicle. I just don't know if I want to fool around with a powertrain issue from the get-go. Has this been a common problem? Is this a minor glitch or something that, as Ann Landers would say, run, don't walk, from?

BTW, the Trooper is Bob Ferrando Ford World in Girard, Pa., on Route 20 (a bit west of Erie, Pa., just north of I-90).

Mark
    I'm willing to bet an oil-change that it's the speed sensors. I had mine go bad and they were covered under warranty. Just an FYI, the Isuzu warranty is 3/50K bumper to bumper and 5/60K on the power-train. So you have 16K miles left on the bumper to bumper warranty.

I would definitely not rule out the truck. When you were putting it in 4-lo were you in neutral? You need to be in neutral and not moving to put it in 4-lo. Also if the TOD was flashing you probably couldn't put it into 4-lo easily.

-mike
    Speed sensors, you say? Any problems after they were replaced? Is the speed sensors failing a common problem? I ask because I don't know much about Isuzus.

I'm sure a condition of sale would involve the dealer taking the truck to an Isuzu dealership and making sure the work was done before money changes hands.

As for 4-lo, the truck was in neutral and my foot on the brake. When I moved the lever forward, there was a thunk/clank sound of *something* engaging. If I didn't move the lever quite all the way forward, the TOD's front tires would light up (all three segments green). If I moved it forward another 1/4 inch, the lights would go out.

Also, in the lower left-hand corer there's an oval window where the warning lights come on when the key is turned. According to the manual a small icon of the two axles (similar to the TOD) is supposed to come on when the truck starts. Also, that I con is supposed to flash (I think) when 4-hi is active, and stay lit when 4-low is engaged.

It never lit up -- not when the key was turned, not when 4-hi was activated, not when the truck was put into 4-low. What do you make of that?

Thanks!
    Mine were replaced @ 10K miles I now have 40K on the truck, and use the TOD almost 24x7 when the truck is running. No problems yet.

The manual with the smaller icon with the 2 axles is not present on TOD equipped vehicles. The TOD guage should light up the rear wheels solid and "auto" lit in the TOD light. Then over 5mph the first bar on the front axle will light indicating 15% power to the front. It will fluxuate as you drive. In 4-low the front axle will light up solid and "auto" will go off.

Definitely sounds like the speed sensors are not allowing TOD to engage. This can cause 4-low not to engage properly. The TOD system is very robust and I rarely hear of any problems other than about 2 or 3 people who have had their sensors replaced.

-mike
  • bawbcatbawbcat Posts: 118
    After quite a bit of searching, I may have found the right Trooper for me. This will be my first one, and will replace an 89 Jeep Cherokee Ltd. I've placed a deposit on a 98 Troop with 47k miles, performance package, sunroof, and CD. It's selling for $11.5k from a "wholesale dealer" in the Dallas area. It's a one owner off-lease vehicle, and an Autocheck report shows a clean history. I would be buying it remotely and having it shipped. This makes me a bit nervous, but it's a much better price than I've found locally. I'm going to have it inspected at an Isuzu dealer before I commit.

Does this sound like a good deal to you guys? Is there anything in particular I should have them look for during the inspection?

Thanks for all the great info on this board!
    That sounds like an excellent price. In fact, it depresses me-- our 98 Trooper with 65k miles has Perf. Pkg., TOD, and 6-disc in-dash CD, but no sunroof. I figured I could get about $12k for it now, though it's not for sale. Maybe that's overly optimistic.

Do you know if the sun/moonroof is the factory one? You'd probably recognize it-- they are HUGE.

Did you pay the 15 bucks for the detailed Carfax report, or just the free one? Especially if you're dealing with some sort of a 'wholesale dealer' I'd say the 15 bucks is worth it. Or you can pay 20 bucks and get unlimited Carfaxes for a period of time (60 days?).
    Why would a dealer sell a vehicle even though they know it has something wrong? I think this happens all the time. If a dealer can sell a vehicle without sinking money into repairing it, they will do it.

In your case, it's easy to see why the dealer is trying to do this. They're a Ford dealer, so they wouldn't be able to fix the TOD problem on their own. And though it's not a major hassle for them to have it serviced at an Isuzu dealer, most dealers aren't willing to take the time to do that. Just my 2 cents.

The Edmunds group is a small sample size of 98+ Trooper owners, but I haven't heard many issues wiht the speed sensors. paisan is the only one I can think of whose Trooper has had this problem. And he drives his truck harder than most of us, which may or may not have anything to do with it.
  • cobbocobbo Posts: 34
    Actually, I've got a 2001 Trooper LTD w/TOD & I've had the speed sensors replaced twice in the past 33k miles, but it's a quick replace & was only a minor annoyance one of the two times because it affected a long-distance trip back through a wicked storm...love the Troop & looking forward to racking up another 4 yrs or so before I look for a replacement...Hope ya'll are out havin' fun..-Cobbo
    Well I picked up my buddy's K40 lip-mounted antenna today and just installed it on the spoiler in about 15 minutes. The sound clarity rocks! Distance has increased and now I don't have to worry about it coming off!

Can't wait to test it on the highway, but I know it can recieve at least 3 miles cause I was hitting a few truckers on the highway 3 miles from my place!

I'll snap some shots this week and put em up.

-mike