Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• tkevinblanctkevinblanc Posts: 356
    That does suck.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Is like a $10 part if that. How did it cost >$100 to get done????

-mike
    Oh, I can see the coolant change, gaskets, labor, shop charges, etc. getting to $200. You know dealers.

Anyway sbcooke, I hope it's just a bad streak and it gets better. The $400 30K isn't a fair thing to include in your lament, but the steering column thing makes me leery.

Are your shocks really gone? Mine are still functioning at 40K just about they way they always did (which is to say soft and spongy).
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    Thermostat - they had to remove the intake manifold to replace it...or at least so they told me.

Yes, my Altima never did much hard driving, and I never swamped it. :-)

Shocks? Well there is some opinion that they don't hold up well over time. They are probably fine for everyday driving...I do take my truck offroad and bouncing over sanddunes can probably cause the stock to wear fast.

The steering column is a "common" issue in troopers...w/100K on them, they think that rubber boot over the joint ripped or something and let water get in and caused the premature wear...although they weren't really sure...I was just happy they agreed to fix it.

I too hope it was just a run of bad luck...and really none of the issues were major problems. I do beat on it sometimes so I can take some of the blame. However I bought a trooper expecting it to be able to handle the rigors of outdoor life.

I was not trying to rain on the parade of good luck everyone else is having. Only to point out there are issues...how many people have had to get the alignment done 3/4 times at different shops to get the pull left or right straightened out?

Overall I love my truck...no real complaints...just gripes.
  • catmanducatmandu Posts: 53
    Any difference in handling or power with a 75 series tire?
    Dunno, I run 275-70s I notice a slight decrease in power but i have a sports car if I want to get up and go fast :)

-mike
  • savvas_esavvas_e Posts: 347
    Hi Catmandu.... the 245/75 has an overall height similar to a 265/70 and has no problems on the Trooper. Some people in Australia fit them to Jackaroos when they replace the factory set. It gives you about a half inch increase in ground clearance too.

Personally, I would go with the 265/70. The 75 aspect ratio of the 245/75 will give you a bit of a degradation in cornering as there is more flex in the sidewall. The 265/70 will go someway to countering that through the wider tread.

Either tire will lead to a slight drop in acceleration as the overall gearing is changed. Your cruising economy should be improved though, as the larger tire will be doing less revolutions per mile.

The final result will depend on how you drive it.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    The LT tires are built stiffer and heavier. LT245 can be purchased in load range C D and E. The heavier the load range the heavier the tire. I think the load range E tire would make your light weight Trooper ride like a cement truck. I recently was going to put on 245/75 Dueler Revos, ordered them, but load range E arrived, I said no thanks since they were each 48lb. I went with P255/70 (33lb. each) because I did not have time to wait to order 245/75 load range C (40 lb. each) again.
    Hi Sean .... You're right about all vehicle having their issues. But relative to other makes, the Isuzu's issues are usually minor.

For example, the Toyota Landcruiser Prado in all models between 1996 and 2002 had a problem where the front ball joints would separate for no apparent reason and the front wheels would go off on there merry way all by themselves, while your front end gouges its way into the road surface.

Again with the Prado, there have been some cases of spider gears in the front diff failing, causing the axle shaft on the side of the failure to seize, leading to failure of the CV joint.

The Mitsubishi Pajero (or Montero for the US) is plagued in Australia by chronic electrical and electronic issues.

Generally, Land Rover products have a reputation for being a gamble as to whether they will get from A to B, at all. One brand new Range Rover recently burst in to flames on the Sydney Harbour Bridge it was quite a spectacular thing on the news to see an aluminium body that had simply disappeared into thin air. Not much left for the insurance company to salvage.

The biggest problems in my view with the current Trooper/Jackaroo is leaking manifold gaskets in early 3.5V6's and the alignment hassles. That's all. I also think the stock 245/70 tyres are a dumb choice. They should have at least fitted 265/70 size and set up the final drive ratios so as it performs the same as with the 245/70's. All relatively minor compared to the others.

BTW, my vehicle is in for it's 60000km service today. I asked the service coordinator about whether they are aware of the rubber boots on the steering column failing at around 160,000km (100,000km) and his response was that they never see it happen. I wonder if this is brought on by environmentals in the US, as Australia is generally warmer than the US all year.

Isuzu products in Australia, particularly the diesels, generally have a reputation for going over 700,000km without a major problem, given correct maintenance. That's over 400,000miles.
    Man, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.... I just checked the shop manual. It doesn't mention anything about taking off the manifold for the t-stat. I'll physically check when I head outside tonight but it seems like you got taken on that one :(

-mike
    Or maybe they were sneaking new intake manifold gaskets on it because that's a known problem and just wanted to bury it.
    Yes they could have done that but they shouldn't have charged him as much as they did for the T-stat... I dunno just seems like a lot of $$$ for a T-stat.

-mike
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,529
    Shippers have to deal with companies that go to a client's office and review shipping charges - then they contact the shipper and demand a refund for overcharges.

Different industry - different regulations, but I could see a business plan here for someone to review auto repair bills and dispute them. Since they'd get paid a % of any overcharge, there'd be a lot of disputed bills!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I will have to double check my bill for the cost for replacing it...and if they did overbill me, I am going to make a huge stink. They already burned me on the hub repack/30K service and brake job.

I might need my personal t-stat replaced after all of this.
    If you need to, let me know and I'll fax you the pages out of the manual that pertain to the T-stat replacement.

-mike
    I emailed you my fax number, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
  • I have a 2001 Trooper and ever since we had it (9000 miles, currently 30,000) their is a consistent tapping/clunking when driving at speeds above 50. It does not make the noise when not moving. Took it to Isuzu, they heard the noise, but couldn't locate it. I am concerned since we are getting near the 36,000 mile mark. Any ideas?
  • greenmaxgreenmax Posts: 47
    Does the noise increase when you apply the gas or just when holding it steady on the freeway? FYI, the B2B warranty on your Trooper is 3 years/50k, not 36k.
    Fax is on it's way Sean.

-mike
  • It does not increase with the engine speed. I put it in neutral as I am driving and raise the RPMs and that does not make a difference. The speed of the noise is a tap every .5 second, I have not been able to tell if it increases in speed with the speed of the car. I believe it may get louder with increased speed.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I bet you it's the speedometer cable. Check the speedo, does it sort of bounce back and forth very slightly?

I had that on my last car. Tic, tic, tic, tic, drove me nuts. My fix was the crank up the tunes!

-juice
    Thanks paisan, I got it. I will have to look under the hood to see where this is located. They do have to drain the coolant though. Although if this was done at my 30K service...and I am not sure if that is part of that service, but they could have double billed me if it was.

I have some checking to do.
  • mkayemkaye Posts: 184
    I guess this is how Taylor Isuzu in Ohio is replacing sales of the Trooper:

http://www.taylorauto.com/crosslander.html
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,529
    There's another link or two in this discussion:

Cross Lander

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• troop2shostroop2shos Posts: 235
    Since you only hear the noise at speed & have explained the noise as a tap, what you could be hearing is the mesh in the fresh air vent grill below the windshield wipers making noise. Press on the mesh lightly but repetitively & see if it's the same tap you're hearing. If so, some have cut rubber spacers to prevent this condition. Mine taps & it's only coming from the passenger side.
    Just a thought unless you have a bug shield.
    I like the crosslander already! :)

-mike
    I've had this and so has a friend. Both our vehicles have the 12 spoke alloy wheel that appeared in late 1999 and is still current (in Australia).

On both cars it turned out to be the centre hubs on one of the wheels not being tightened up enough. Mine was the rear right and his was the front left.

Easy way to check ... is it louder with the windows down and can you tell what side it's coming from?

On the 12 spoke alloy, the centre hub is held in by three screws through the back of the wheel. Make sure these are nice and tight and that the centre hub doesn't shift at all.
    But Paisan ... it only has a top speed of 90mph! Are you sure?

;-)
    That's what mods are for :) I'd also like to see rear coils instead of rear leafs.

But I have my SVX that tops out at 155mph and in a year or 2 I'll be getting a Subaru B11s which has a twin turbo H6 3.0l putting out 396hp and 405lbs torque. :)

-mike
    You mean like the Jackaroos we get? hehehe!

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

Speaking of the Isuzu diesels, there is now a power-up engine management module available for the 3.0L TD Jackaroo, that takes power output close to the V6 and torque to a whopping 400Nm compared to the standard 333Nm (the 3.5V6 produces 310Nm max torque).