Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• Picked up my new GX today,..quite a vehicle. Has all the "standard" bells and whistles except, strangely, the side mirrors are not power fold back! LOL MY Troop LTD had that!I didn't get the Nav system...it's a novelty item that you probably wouldn't use after that novelty wore off. I didn't get the third row seats either.. I'm way passed the little kid stage. It has some "standard" stuff I would never opt for..such as... a rear seat audio system that permits the rear passengers to listen to music different then the front seat via headphones. I say "standard" because that's what they are on this vehicle even through the price you are paying for them. First impression..I WILL go off road with no problem. On highway it's smooth, quiet and capable. EXCELLENT ride and has power adjustable suspension. I got the base model and added a tow hitch. The stock tires were highway B-Stones and I insisted they replace them with Michelin X-Country's which they did. Buying experience was the best I've ever had with any dealer! So far I love it..BUT we'll see if it can live up to the standards set by my Trooper after 97,000 mi.
    AS for Consumer Reports I won't even pick one up to look at. They're a publication with no credibility as far as I'm concerned. The only power we have to punish them for the low blow they dealt to Isuzu, and the Trooper in particular, is not acknowledge their existence. Doesn't hurt them much but gives me a little satisfaction.
    By the way, speaking if the GX, you can get the same basic vehicle, minus the Lexus name and a lot less "standard stuff" in the new 4-Runner. But you know..I owed it to myself ! I'm gettin up in my years and might as well spend it now. Live for the momemt! Hahahahaha.
    Good luck and take care..I'll always be a Trooper lover and advocate!!!!
  • jim112jim112 Posts: 12
    Started the vehicle yesterday and noted no problem with idle when cold; seemed to function normally. However, after driving about 15 miles, letting it set for about 10 minutes, then re-starting, noticed a strange idle pattern going up to 1200-1400 then back to basically zero, then back up. The cycle repeats 4-6 times before stabilizing. Everything then seems fine, no problem while driving or at a stop as long as it remains in gear. When moved to neutral as when shifting from drive to reverse, idle drops immediately - sometimes dies. The fluctuation repeats itself after each start-up when engine is warm.
    Any suggestions. Thanx in advance and thanx to all on the previous differential/wheel bearing question.
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    in the "search this discussion" box at the bottom of the page, do a search on "intake manifold gaskets" you'll see others with the same issues with resolution to the problem. A technical service bulletin has been issued for 99' Troopers, you'll see a link in the search results.
  • Just drove by the Lincoln-Mercury-Isuzu dealer I bought my Trooper from two years ago....a little LOW on the Isuzu products, sadly. I love my Trooper - the CR butcher job didn't affect my mindset at all, nor did CBS' butcher job on the Audi 5000 when I bought one in '87. But Isuzu has no one to blame but themselves - the mid-90's was the perfect time to start looking beyond their traditional genres, and Isuzu stuck with relatively old product or weak platforms. The Trooper was regularly updated, with improved engines and drivetrains, but the Rodeo got old fast, especially in the market at which it was aimed. Explorers and Blazers and Toyotas all swooped in to grab market share of Isuzu's traditional client....Isuzu's late, lame response was the Axiom, while quite a unique styling excercise, not enough to pull folks back. And now we have the Ascender, which is hideous...I can't believe Saab will use this platform for their midsize SUV (unless it was shoved down their throats, which is more the reality in my mind....). Before Isuzu abandons the US, I hope they have an opportunity to bring out a decent crossover, ala Highlander/Murano/Pilot, for the wannabes like myself (my LS is 2WD), and a new ballistic Trooper to replace the Ascender. I look forward to that day, but sadly, it may be passed.
  • jim112jim112 Posts: 12
    Thanx for your help. Read the posts as suggested. My problem occurs after the engine is warm. Some posts mention the symptoms occur when cold, others when the engine is warm. Is IMG failure more likely to declare itself when warm or when cold. I also failed to mention a hissing sound which is new and was first noticed after the symptoms began. From the discussions it appears this is consistent with IMG. Final question - should this be covered on power train warranty on a '99 with 42,000 miles?
  • Whether a SUV has a tendency to roll-ever to some extent is determined by the type of driver. I would not recommend a Trooper, or any SUV, be given to a teenage driver as their own personal transportation due to the dangers involved. But in the hands of a mature and experienced driver, SUV's are quite safe.

Different kinds of people buy different kinds of vehicles, and use them in different enviornments. What is a safe combination in one instance may not be so in another. To judge a vehicle in isolation irrespective of the driver type and how it is used is to do a disservice to the vehicle and what it was designed to accomplish. The upshot of all this is that testing of dangerousness is much more complicated than it appears on the surface. (last post on this topic)
    Actually, the one that has the most experience with this topic is SDC2, try searching "SDC2" here and under "Maintenance & Repairs"(see below). As far as Warranty coverage, check out page 3 in the PDF link, Gasoline Fuel Injection Equipment?
    http://isuzu-suvs.com/images/99trooperwarranty.PDF

Hopefully SDC2 is close to his computer this week and reads your post. I believe he's had it replaced twice. sdc2 "Isuzu Owners: Maintenance & Repairs" Dec 29, 2001 10:34pm!
  • ostazostaz Posts: 80
    A while back, I had a problem with the fan speed control (only worked on the highest position). I finally repalced the resistor pack, and the fan control went back to normal (4 speeds). But only for a few minutes, and now the old problem is back again.

Something is shorting/burning the resistors, and my guess is that without any resistance, the fan works unimpeded at the highest speed.

Any thoughts?
  • dnestrdnestr Posts: 188
    My Trooper was a silent truck till a winter had come. At a cold day (10F) on my way back home I noticed the noise which was coming somewhere from the tail gate. Checked a spare wheel, a washer reservoir and their fastenings. It didn't help. Then I bent up a little a supporting staple which was located on the big door from below. The noise disappeared and it hasn't annoyed to me since.

I wish your Troopers will run without any problems even after their odometers have shown 200K miles. This is the best automotive site I've ever seen (I mean its graphics, info ability, host support) and nice people are over here. God bless your country and all the peace-loving world. Merry Christmas. Cheers!
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    If there wasn't the article, I may never had ended up with one. The only reason I chose the Trooper was its long laundry list of standard features (especially truck based offroad features) and the fact I could get it for $24K++. Had cost $31.5K as the sticker listed I would have passed.

It is a shame that is all people remember about the truck. I have had relatives tell me that I "need to get my family in something safe". I always joke back saying "I only had it up on 2 wheels once so far".
  • I remember just before we bought our 01 Trooper there was a TV crash test of SUV's - the Trooper did good except for a post crash fuel leak - Isuzu made a design change and gave them another Trooper to test - again there was a leak - they redesigned again and crash tested a third Trooper (all at Isuzu expense)- this time no leak - they made this design change retroactive to existing 01 (and I think 00)Troopers - and mine has the door sticker noting the mod. We all know that Troopers roll around alot - may not be unsafe but it does get your attention and many of the board members have invested time and money beefing up the suspension. If Isuzu had addressed the suspension in 96 in the same fashion as they addressed the 01 fuel leak then consumer confidence would have been restored. Look at what Ford has done to the F-150 to respond to poor crash test results - saw the crash test videos on the news the other day - much better truck now. Going to court to restore your reputation - even if justified - doesn't sell vehicles. Personally, I dropped my subscription to CR because they are just flat anti SUV. We love our Trooper and will drive it til it or both of us die.
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    Well I have posted this info before, but it bears repeating.

At the time of the Consumer Report Trooper test, the Trooper was only middle of the pack in rollovers per 100,000 miles driven. This says to me their test method is either A) Not reflective of real world driving (so what use is it?); or B) the test was intentionally manipulated.

Either way, their credibility is suspect, either through incompetence or deceit.

The highest rollover rate by far was the Ford Bronco II. Is it a coincidence they didn't go after the huge American manufacturer, and instead went after little Isuzu and Suzuki? This speaks of corporate cowardice.

And anybody who thinks CR is unbiased because they don't have advertising is fooling themselves. Their money comes from somewhere, and newstand sales or subscriptions only are a small part of any magazine's revenue.
    Isuzu did address the crash test in the 98+ models, changing the height and stance slightly, lowering the center of gravity. Not a significant change, really, just mods to the body mounts mostly.
    The intake manifold gasket would certainly be at the top of the list of suspects. Not sure if I have ever posted this here:

"I dug back into my stack of old paper emails and found a message from the Planet Isuzoo egroups in January 2001. This message was from Sam Jelinek, who many of you know from ZuZoo and elsewhere. He is an Isuzu Master Mechanic I believe, and in this message he described how to replace an intake manifold gasket on the 3.2/3.5 engine.

Please note that I have not tried this procedure, and cannot say if and how well it works. Also, if Sam or anybody else in-the-know wants to add, clarify, or contradict this information, they are welcome to do so. I offer it simply because many of us with Isuzu V6 engines are getting out of warranty now, and may need DIY instructions.

So here it is, paraphrased and edited for clarity (Sam is a better mechanic than writer)quote:

Something that has been showing up even more lately on the new V6 engine, the intake gaskets are starting to leak and break. If the gasket is leaking real bad you can hear an air leak from the engine, almost like the airbox is not tight.

Using a can of brake cleaner you can check this very easy. Spray around the intake, most of the time on the drivers side, and you can find the leak.

To repair the leak, here is how it goes:

Remove the air intake hose from the throttle body.

Remove the 4 bolts that hold the throttle body to the intake. No need to remove any other hoses from the throttle body.

Unhook the injector wiring from each injector.

This is the hard part: on the passenger side of the intake you have to remove the EGR flow pipe nut. You will need a 7/8" or 22mm wrench, may even have to cut the wrench short to get it in there.

Remove the 2 long bolts on each side.

Remove the 2 short bolts from each side, I think they are on the front and rear of the intake.

On the Troopers the intake will lift up enough to get the old gaskets out. On the Rodeo use short bungy cords to hold the intake up so that the old gaskets can be removed.

When removing the old gaskets be careful, they may be broken. Do not let the pieces fall into the intake.

Use a clean rag to wipe off the intake surface on the cylinder head and reinstall the new gaskets.

Let the intake back down and start the EGR flow pipe before putting the other bolts in the intake.

Reinstall the other bolts and air intake hose.

Well that's it, pretty much as written. Actually sounds doable for even a marginal mechanic such as myself. Hope this helps somebody."
    Thanks sdc2, I'm going to copy/paste this into a Word.doc for future reference. This will come in handy for the day the Thermostat needs replacing, by then all of the Isuzu mechanics will be extinct and I'll have to give the instructions to a Kia/Hyundai mechanic:-O
  • I've seen 2 of them roll when they really shouldn't have (including once backing out of a driveway with a right-hand turn into the street at a moderate but acceptable speed)

CR didn't go after the Bronco II because Ford dropped them and introduced the Explorer. The Jeep CJ was also on CR's list, but Jeep came out with the YJ which changed width and wheelbase.

Now, with that said, I WAS a complete CR supporter UNTIL the court ruling over the Trooper - now I view CR as just another source of information in most cases.

Happy '02 Trooper owner!
  • mkayemkaye Posts: 184
    I am NOT endorsing this site or lawyers :-)
    BUT, rolloverlawyer.com lists the Bronco II, Explorer, CJ, and Suzuki in their links but do not list the Trooper.

I believe that part of the Trooper design change for 95/6 was a slight widening of the track as well. That is where the over-fenders/flares came from.

Apparently, there isn't much legal action against the Trooper/Isuzu for rollover fatalities or injuries. Maybe low sales or shallow corporate pockets, but also just fewer rollovers in percentage.

Somewhat laughable rumor department. While buying oil filters I heard the GM and parts guy at the local GM/Isuzu dealership who said that a 'new' Trooper designed by Isuzu was scheduled for 2004 as a 05 model. Who knows?
    Doesn't sound like they were "cleared" to me, they just didn't have to pay damages. Sorta like OJ, being found "not guilty" is NOT the same as being "innocent":

"April 10, 2000 -- Verdict on Consumer Reports: false, but not damaging. After a two-month trial, a federal jury found Thursday that the magazine had made numerous false statements in its October 1996 cover story assailing the 1995-96 Isuzu Trooper sport utility vehicle as dangerously prone to roll over, but declined to award the Japanese carmaker any cash damages. The jury found that CR's "testing" had put the vehicle through unnatural steering maneuvers which, contrary to the magazine's claims, were not the same as those to which competitors' vehicles had been subjected. Jury foreman Don Sylvia said the trial had left many jurors feeling that the magazine had behaved arrogantly, and that eight of ten jurors wanted to award Isuzu as much as $25 million, but didn't because "we couldn't find clear and convincing evidence that Consumers Union intentionally set out to trash the Trooper". The jury found eight statements false but in only one of the eight did it determine CR to be knowingly or recklessly in error, which was when it said: "Isuzu ... should never have allowed these vehicles on the road." However, it ruled that statement not to have damaged the company, despite a sharp drop in Trooper sales from which the vehicle later recovered."
  • breakorbreakor Posts: 398
    First for future reference for the rest of us where was the pack? How much do you have to move out of the way? How long did it take?

As to you current problem, I have not chased this problem myself. With that out of the way I did find this on the web http://www.nichols.nu/tip022.htm It discusses several potential fixes (e.g. bad fan, another sensor, connections) other than the resistor pack. Granted this is not Isuzu specific but it might help you nonetheless.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    CR was NOT cleared, Isuzu just didn't win any $ or anything :(

-mike
    On pretty much any vehicle, high speed on the blower fan is straight 12V. All other speeds are reduced voltage via the resistors.

Wish I could tell you why it reverted back to high after replacing the resistors, but I don't really know. Is your voltage regulator working properly?
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    Who's got those instructions on how to re-program the remote door opener for late model Troopers? I need to re-program due to case coming apart.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    They are on my website. http://Isuzu-suvs.com in the FAQ section.

-mike
  • dnestrdnestr Posts: 188
    I decided to install PDC system on my Trooper with a plastic tire cover ( previous had a soft one). Just wanted to be sure that the nice cover wouldn't be broken if the truck was being parked. So the PDC Coligen DX-4700 ( I've never heard this name before) with four implanted in the rear bumper sensors works fine. Four-colored small monitor is located on a dashboard. The red light means the truck is going close to something. Very primitive and cheap.
    I did find the instructions on your website. What a handy support reference for Trooper users!!
    sounds like your fan is drawing too much current. It may be about to fail, but its pulling so much current that its shorting out the resistor pack when you 1st changed it out. It may be internal to the motor winding, or something else in the circuit. Maybe a low resistance to ground on that line??
    A buddy of mine just had this problem with his Chevy Blazer. I know its not a Trooper, but the problem for him was a partially plugged EGR valve. The shop took the EGR off and sprayed some carb. cleaner in it and blew it out. Problem fixed!! Charged him about $25. He said this was a repeat problem for him, with the fix being the same each time. A new EGR valve was quoted at $125 plus labor of $50 to fix. Lets see.... $25 to pull and clean or $50 to pull and replace?? Something don't quite fit in this picture!!
  • I am the happy owner of a super reliable 1994 Isuzu Trooper LS - 3.2L DOHC: Recently, my o2 sensor light came on at exactly 90,000 so... (thinking it had actually failed)I replaced the sensor. However, I don't know how to reset the warning light on the instrument display. Can anyone direct me to the proper procedure to reset or clear the o2 sensor warning light? Please reply to webmaster@telefone.com
  • I have read many posts both here and ITOG. The combination of burning oil and no recourse via the shrinking Isuzu dealer network gives me cause for concern. I have a 90 trooper and it has been a good car minus the recent cylinder head failure (125K)

Overall would you folks still recommend a 2000 3.5 trooper? Or is it better to save my coin for a Toyota?
  • breakorbreakor Posts: 398
    Pros: If you get a typical newer Trooper you will likely not use oil; especially if you don't stretch your oil changes, keep your PCV and EGR clean. They are priced very cheaply (especially versus a newer Toyota) and are generally very reliable as you likely know from your 90. Many other cars have stopped being produced any yet most all their parts are still available. In fact Isuzu stopped making passenger trucks years ago yet I don't think the owners of them are hurting for parts.

Cons: There is a very real chance you could burn oil and with no warning (at least if you don't check your oil level) lose an engine. You may get no dealer support and finding a new engine could become impossible. Rebuilts and used ones may or may not be available. In fact getting parts for any major rebuild could be difficult and/or pricey.

So with apologies to Dirty Harry "Do you feel lucky punk, well do you?". In otherwords do you want to pay for the certainty of a Toyota or save a bunch of money and get a capable Trooper that likley won't break but if it does it may impractical to fix?