Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• gpm5gpm5 Posts: 785
    The only thing is the bumpers are not practical but that was a marketing item that keeps down the cost and gives it the modern day look.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Well I have a long list of vendors and what not at

http://isuzu-suvs.com

I import for ECB nudge bars (and in fact are waiting for a 3rd person on a group buy) to bring 3 more in. Check out my truck on there for some aftermarket stuff.

The nice thing about TOD is that when you want a 50/50 lock you just put it into 4wd LO and it locks the T-case at 50/50. I also found off-roading so far that the TOD was actually better than the 4wd lo, less wheel slippage.

-mike

Boxy is one of the Troopers traits. It's about 10x boxier than any other SUV on the market. In fact the design, other than cosmetics (from the A-pillar forward), engine(3.2->3.5), and T-case (p/t 4wd ->TOD), and some interior dash changes is the same as it was in 1992, that's nearly 10 years on the same exact underpinning and body panels! :)

-mike
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Posts: 128
    The regional want ad has 3 1994 troopers for $4,500 - $5,500. All with 100k-125k miles. I know that Troopers hold up well. Anything to look for besides rust? Seems like a good deal to me.

Any web sites would you recommend I check out to learn more?
    $5000 for a 100-125k '94 trooper is not something I would spend. At that many miles you will need to be doing quite a few repairs each year--I mean troopers hold-up well, but if you do not know how these were maintained your money could be going down a sink hole. Definitely before you spend have a mechanic look it over. The timing belt should have been changed at 100 k miles. Check the oil--is it clean before and after driving it. Have the mechanic check the transmission oil--and show you the color. Is it bright red. Does the air conditioning still work etc. I might spend $3500 depending on the shape of a '94 trooper.
  • ghinsonghinson Posts: 36
    I will be in a situation where I will mostly use the Trooper in town, rarely at highway speeds, with occasional snow but still at low speeds anyway. Then I will use it to go out on the beach. Especially for surf fishing. That's where the 4x4 is most important to me. So, keeping in mind the improved performance (accel and gas mileage) of a manual, do any of you with the TOD think I should spend the extra $1500 for it?

Nice web site paisan. I like the ECB nudge bars a lot. If I get one, might talk to you about a group buy. Know the current price for a chrome one with a wench attachment?

Thanks.
  • conman2000conman2000 Posts: 158
    I am not worried by how much I paid as this was the best deal I could get in the northeast(without traveling too far) and the best deal I could get on my trade.

As for the MA Lux. Trooper, it was changed to what I posted above. Before, it read that it was 18,900 with the system and $15,000 without the system. Maybe it was a typo and they fixed it now. Still, $19k seem to be inline with TMV plus if you consider how much the audio system might be ($2,000+) it is a really good deal. And if it only has 15k miles on it, it has been babied! If it was only a dealer, I would have tried to get that one.

Cheers,
    Con
    Looking to get side steps. I was thinking of the bars Crunchy is getting but I am not after the "MOAB" look so I am looking at round bars or running boards. I would like some that mount to the frame unlike the factory ones which mount to the body. Does anyone have the WAAG or other brands on their Trooper that mount to the frame(I do want to do some light wheeling so I want to avoid the body mounted ones).

As for TOD, I am going to do beach fishing too and my State(NY) requires 4x4 and will not allow 4x2 on the beach. Just an FYI.

Thanks,
    Con
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I surf fish too. TOD works fine in regular sand. I found it to sort of "slip" in really deep stuff? When you come over a dune and hit deep stuff, you don't have time to switch to 4 lo. The system "thumped" as I chugged through it? Maybe the computer sensors were just switching the torque back and forth over and over again, due to all 4 wheels slipping? For most spots it was great, and I never felt like I would get stuck. With "4 Hi" in the manual, this probably wouldn't happen.

TOD actually was better than 4 lo over most of the beach. 4 lo would dig in, never so much to get stuck, but dig in first before you go and limit steerng. TOD was convenient, because in most spots you were in essentially 2wd, so the front end pushes up above the sand, and turning was better because you would turn first, and then the 4wd would kick in. In 4 Lo the fronts would dig in when turned, and you would move more laterally.

TOD is great, don't get me wrong, in 1-24" of snow, deep mud, damp roads, dirt roads, and dry roads. With "4 Hi" you won't have the luxury of added traction when it is wet, or just light snow.

I think you will be happy either way, TOD is a great "on-road" AWD system, that is rugged enough to go anywhere.
    Thaks scooke. Glad to hear from someone with sand experience and the Trooper. So there is TOD and 4LO, but no option for 4HI? Why not put all three as an option?
    I think it would be a great thing but I guess they think the TOD is better than just 4hi which is good thinking. BTW, my neighbor has taken his Trooper on the beach and he said 4lo was better too.

Cheers,
    Con
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Posts: 128
    gpm5,

Thanks for the tip. No way am I buying a used Trooper without my mechanic in tow....

On the other side of the scale I found a 2000 LS with 14k miles for $18k. Hmmmmm.....
    That's a good price on a 2000 LS with 14k miles. I would jump on that if it looks clean.
    $18K is a good price. I would wonder why they sold it? It may drive too much like a truck? Maybe they got scared by the recall? Maybe they had a bad dealer experience? It is certainly worth it...I would just do your best to track the vehicle first, have you tried carfax? Used cars can (are not always) be trouble.

New Troopers are only a few thousand more, and with the low financiang, it may the same as an $18K vehicle from a used car dealer at 9%?

Good luck.
    I've got a local dealer going $24,800 on a 01 S auto 4wd with 0% fin. for 60 mos. He's going to see if he can find me a green one Mon. Hopefully he want snub my trade-in too much.
    That is a nice deal. Your payment would be about the same as someone buying a '00 trooper with miles on it at ~7.5% interest.
  • chzbrgchzbrg Posts: 10
    Noticed in manual of Trooper that at 15 K it wants you to change the axle oil, transmission and 4wd oil plus other tid bits such as lube etc. what should i expect to pay for this service at the dealer, since dont know of any reputable mechanics???
    Thanks
    Suggested i jump right toe the 30K service.

-mike
  • I'm interested in that "wench attachment". Got any pictures? Oh, and a winch wouldn't be bad, either...

;-)

I am not so sure my wife will go for it, however!

;-) ;-) ;-(
    Well there is no wench or winch attachments for the nudge bar. The Big Bumper Bar does have a winch attachment, and I suppose you could mount a wench on either the Nudge Bar or the Big Bumper Bar. You can check out prices from the last group buy at http://isuzu-suvs.com/nudge.html or http://isuzu-suvs.com (there's a link on the main page)

-mike

is a great point to attach a winch. It bolts to steel extensions, which bolt directly to the frame. You also utilize several more anchor points than the original bumper. I haven't added a winch yet, but the bar first. The winch will probably come next year.

There are pictures of my truck on the photos page and on Paison's page.
  • tistevetisteve Posts: 142
    My wife and I have been planning our next vehicle and a new Trooper S is high on the list. We went out this weeekend and test drove several vehicles and the Trooper. We told the dealer we were just starting to look and weren't buying for a few months. He really wanted us to buy right then so starts talking prices, Says right now Isuzu is offering 7,000 off MSRP of $29,750, which would be $22,750. We said nice price, but we weren't ready to buy just yet. He says how about $22,500? Same answer, not yet. He says, OK if you buy today, $22,000! Again, were just not ready, but I asked him about leasing. He said the $22,000 price is only for purchase. I argued with him that the selling price should have nothing to do with purchase vs. lease (unless you took the 0% financing). He knew I right and stopped arguing. But still, we are not quite ready to lease or buy.
    I'm just curious how can they sell this vehicle, which invoices for 25k, for $22,000? I know about the $2,000 incentive to dealers, but that would still be $23,000 invoice. Is Isuzu offering some secret incentives that are not listed? After reading the above prices for an S, $22,000 seems like a steal! Am I missing something?
    TOD questions. So you can have it in regular 2WD mode, TOD (4hi or 4lo) but you can't force it into 4wd full time? I thought you could.
  • troopmetroopme Posts: 1
    Need suggestions for hitch installation on automatic 2001 LS. Will pull pop-up, maybe a light boat/trailer, and U-haul type trailer for immediate move. Assuming adherence to weight limits in book, any other considerations? Isuzu package just way expensive...u-haul hitches have been suggested...any pros or cons on types and makes of hitches? How does the trooper pull on the highway?
    That sounds like a great price. The price I have for the same vehicle is $24,600, which sounded great to me. Where is your dealer?

Speaking of pricing, what can you guys tell me about the VIP program that Isuzu has. All I know is that the price is based on dealer's actual cost and not on MSRP. I guess you can become a VIP by simply joining PlanetIsuzoo, but would that change my purchase price that much?

Thanks.
    Hi,
    I just purchased a HiddenHitch from JCWhittney.com for $120 and $27 for a plugin light kit. If you buy over $150 dollars worth of stuff from them, they included shipping for free. I bought the Class III version as it has the 2" hole instead of the Class II which has the 1 7/8" receiver and can tow the max(5,000 pounds) with the Class III one. I checked HH's website and it appears everything is bolt in no drilling for the 2001. Will know in a couple of days when I get it.

Later,
    Con
    Did you look at a 2001 or 2000 Trooper S and was it 4x4,4x2 with auto or 5speed? The 2000s have $4,000 in cash rebates and the 2001 have $2,000 cash rebate as well. The best prices I have seen in the Northeast is Carsdirect.com which list the Trooper S Auto 4x4(TOD) for around $24k w/o the 0% fin. Sounds fishy to me that they can offer a 2001 for $22K. With the 0% fin. it will make your payments just as small as leasing so it might make sense to buy it with 0% and just sell it when you are ready to get a new one.

IMHO, the S auto 4x4 Trooper is the best value out there cause of the 0% fin.

Good Luck,
    Con
    2001 Trooper LS(I just got mine las week) :)
    The quote for $22,000 for a 2001 Trooper S 4x4, (only option is cargo tray)was from Checkered Flag in Virginia Beach, VA. They had about 5 of them.
    There is also an ad running from another local dealer saying only $19,995 plus freight. It says 4x4, V6, Auto. I am always very skeptical of ads, especially when they sound too good be true, but I haven't spoken with them yet to get the scoop.
    The trooper we looked at for 22k was an auto.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,980
    GM comes to Isuzu's rescue

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

I am sure that price is with all cash back incentives and would not eligible for the 0% financing, but still is a great deal at 22K. I'm still trying to figure how they do it, or what the catch is. Like, oh, you wanted the tires with that as well?