Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    Sure. It could cause some weird electrical imbalance on a sensor and then throw a code.

Coincidentally, my CEL came on this morning.
  • Sorry to hear that. The CEL on my 99 Trooper came on half year ago. I visited the dealer 5 times, changed intake gasket (The first time is 2 years ago). The dealer cannot find the problem and CEL is still on. The car seems runs OK.
    Yeah...I am going to autozone this saturday to have it cleared and see if it happens again.
  • makayemakaye Posts: 81
    If anyone's interested. Isuzu's total sales year-to-date are just shy of 24,000 vehicles. Not that bad, considering they aren't really manufacturing vehicles anymore...
  • New to the board, lots of interesting stuff here. Just blew the engine on my 98 troop 62k miles checked the oil 2 hours before no warning. Looks like a piece of the crank hanging out of the oil pan. was planning on driveing this puppy forever. Loved it but the idea of spending 4 thousand for a new engine and have a truck worth 6 thousand does not make a lot of sense. I have read of new engines from Isuzu or short blocks and split cost but nothing on trucks this old. On ITOG the consensus seems to be a manufacturing defect in the oil return causes the problem. Has any one else lost an engine and had any help from isuzu on it. Does anyone now where I can find an engine for less than $3500. new or used. Does anyone know of engine change outs from other Isuzu products or maybe drop in a 327 or an old 302 and rock-in-roll. Lots of questions but I would like to save this one. thanx
  • I had a Check Engine Light come on Friday. It was the "engine running too cold" code. The thermostat was failed open. My mechanic verified it by noticing that there was very little heat available inside.
    New Thermostat and new "improved" intake manifold gaskets and a new serpentine belt due to visible cracks and a cleanup and re-oil the KN air filter cost me over $400.
    The thermostat is under the intake manifold, so requires removal of the intake manifold. My mechanic said that my Trooper's intake manifold gaskets are prone to crack in a couple spots so they did not want to re-use them. Evidently the replacement intake manifold gaskets are made tougher in the key areas to avoid this problem. My mechanic said that often a leaky intake gasket goes unnoticed too long, all the while it leaks in dirt, which scratches up the cylinders and piston rings. By the time the CEL finally comes on, and the engine is idling rough, the damage has been done, the motor often will burn a lot of oil and replacement is cheaper than re-building, partly because it is hard to get the Isuzu rebuild parts.
    I had the work done immediately Friday in preparation for a trip Saturday. My 5 speed manual tranmission Trooper went 270 miles and still the fuel gage needle is much closer to half than 1/4. I was loaded till the rear end was about 3" lower than it normally rides and drove up into the mountains.
    You can probably get an engine from a junk yard and have it put in for under $3500. You could probably also find a place that will take it out and rebuild it for less than $3500 but probably not under $2500. That is a lot of work.

I think swapping another engine into the truck really isn't realistic. Since you have to find one that the transmission can support, swap out the electrical system, change the CPU, fuel delivery, etc. Older cars were much easier to swap engines, with all the electonics and computer controls in newer engines today, you would be hard pressed to get a 327 in it for under $10K.
    On an engine swap. I think current laws for emissions is that the vehicle would have to pass emissions for the year of the vehicle NOT the year of the engine. Also, regardless of actually passing emissions, it also must have attached all the emissions equipment that originally came with your year Trooper.

I think those type of engine swaps are no longer.
  • I went to AutoZone on Sunday and got the following code:

P0137 Sense Circuit Low Volts (Bank1 Censor 1 ???)

P0157 Sense Circuit Low Volts (Bank2 Censor 2)

P1171 Fuel Air Ratio

Do you guys have any insider information or recommendation? Thanks!

The intake gasket of my 99 Trooper was changed twice; I think the Fuel Air Ratio may be caused by the same reason.

The car runs OK now, but the new problem comes out: there are some strange sounds come from the right-front wheel. The sound is obviously related to the tire or the wheel, because the sounds become faster when the wheels turn faster. I took the car to Firestone and had the tires balanced and front wheel aligned. The sounds become lauder after that. L (And they lost 4 bolts on my wheel caps! I believe that may be a Firestone tradition). Anyway, I need to find a good (and honest!) mechanic who knows how to work on Troopers. Do you guy have any recommendation? (I live in Westmont, Illinois, i.e. Chicago west suburb)
  • Hi, Guys:

Just now I did a search in Yahoo and found a Isuzu OBD2 codes chart. I believe you should be interested in it too :)

http://www.troublecodes.net/isuzu/iszuobd2.shtml

OBD2

P0101
     MAF System Performance

P0102
     MAF Sensor Circuit Frequency Low

P0103
     MAF Sensor Circuit Frequency High

P0106
     MAP System Range/Performance

P0107
     MAP Circuit Input Low

P0108
     MAP Circuit Input High

P0112
     IAT Circuit Input Low

P0113
     IAT Circuit Input High

P0116
     ECT Circuit Range/Performance

P0117
     ECT Circuit Input Low

P0118
     ECT Circuit Input High

P0121
     TP Sensor System Performance

P0122
     TP Sensor Circuit Input Low

P0123
     TP Sensor Circuit Input High

P0125
     ECT Insufficient Coolant Temperature For Closed Loop Fuel Control

P0131
     HO2S Circuit Voltage Low Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0132
     HO2S Circuit Voltage High Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0133
     HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0134
     H02S Circuit No Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0135
     HO2S Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0137
     HO2S Circuit Voltage Low Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0138
     HO2S Circuit Voltage High Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0139
     HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0140
     H02S Circuit No Activity Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0141
     HO2S Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0143
     HO2S Circuit Voltage Low Bank 1 Sensor 3

P0144
     HO2S Circuit Voltage High Bank 1 Sensor 3

P0146
     HO2S Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 3

P0147
     HO2S Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 3

P0151
     HO2S Circuit Voltage Low Bank 2 Sensor 1

P0152
     HO2S Circuit Voltage High Bank 2 Sensor 1

P0153
     HO2S Circuit Slow Response Bank 2 Sensor 1

P0154
     H02S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 1

P0155
     HO2S Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1

P0157
     HO2S Circuit Voltage Low Bank 2 Sensor 2

P0158
     HO2S Circuit Voltage High Bank 2 Sensor 2

P0160
     H02S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 2

P0161
     HO2S Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2

P0171
     Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1

P0172
     Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1

P0174
     Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2

P0175
     Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 2

P0201–P0206
     Injector Control Circuit Cyls. 1–6

P0218
     Transmission Over Temperature Condition

P0300
     Engine Misfire Detected

P0301–P0306
     Misfire Detected Cyls. 1–6

P0325
     KS Filter Module Or Circuit

P0327
     KS Sensor Circuit Input Low

P0335
     CKP Sensor Circuit Malfunction

P0336
     CKP Sensor 58X Reference Signal Circuit Range/Performance

P0337
     CKP Sensor Circuit Frequency Low

P0341
     CMP Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

P0342
     CMP Sensor Circuit Input Low

P0351
     Ignition Coil ‘‘A’’ Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction (2.2L)

Ignition Control Circuit (2.6L)

P0351–P0356
     Ignition Control Circuits 1–6 (3.2L)

P0352
     Ignition Coil ‘‘B’’ Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction (2.2L)

P0401
     EGR Flow Insufficient

P0402
     EGR Excessive Flow Detected

P0404
     EGR Sensor Circuit Range/Performance, Stuck Open

P0405
     EGR Sensor Circuit Low

P0406
     EGR Sensor Circuit High

P0420
     TWC System Low Efficiency Bank 1

P0430
     TWC System Low Efficiency Bank 2

P0440
     EVAP System Malfunction

P0441
     EVAP System No Flow During Purge

P0442
     EVAP System Small Leak Detected

P0443
     EVAP System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction

P0446
     EVAP System Canister Vent Blocked (Except 2.2L)

EVAP System Canister Vent Control Circuit Malfunction (2.2L)

P0449
     EVAP System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

P0452
     EVAP System Pressure Sensor Input Low

P0453
     EVAP System Pressure Sensor Input High

P0461
     Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Performance

P0462
     Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Input Low

P0463
     Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Input High

P0480
     Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit

P0481
     Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit

P0501
     VSS Circuit Range Performance

P0502
     VSS Circuit Input Low

P0505
     Idle Control System Malfunction

P0506
     IAC System RPM Low

P0507
     IAC System RPM High

P0532
     A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit Input Low

P0533
     A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit Input High

P0560
     System Voltage Low

P0562
     System Voltage Low

P0563
     System Voltage High

P0601
     PCM Memory Checksum Error

P0705
     Transaxle Range Switch Circuit

P0706
     Transaxle Range Switch Performance

P0712
     TFT Voltage Low

P0713
     Transmission Fluid Temperature Voltage High

P0719
     Brake Switch Circuit Low

P0722
     Output Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal

P0723
     Output Speed Sensor Circuit Intermittent Signal

P0724
     Brake Switch Circuit High

P0730
     Gear Ratio Improper

P0742
     TCC Circuit Stuck On

P0748
     Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid Electrical Fault

P0751
     Transmission SS ‘‘A’’ Performance Or Stuck Off

P0753
     Transmission SS ‘‘A’’ Electrical Fault

P0756
     Transmission SS ‘‘B’’ Performance Or Stuck Off

P0758
     Transmission SS ‘‘B’’ Electrical Fault

P1106
     MAP Circuit Intermittent Voltage High

P1107
     MAP Circuit Intermittent Voltage Low

P1108
     Barometric Pressure Circuit Input High

P1111
     IAT Sensor Circuit Intermittent Voltage High

P1112
     IAT Sensor Circuit Intermittent Voltage Low

P1114
     ECT Sensor Circuit Intermittent Voltage Low

P1115
     ECT Sensor Circuit Intermittent Voltage High

P1121
     TP Sensor Circuit Intermittent Voltage High

P1122
     TP Sensor Circuit Intermittent Voltage Low

P1133
     H02S Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1

P1134
     H02S Transition Time Ratio Bank 1 Sensor 1

P1153
     H02S Insufficient Switching Bank 2 Sensor 1

P1154
     H02S Transition Time Ratio Bank 2 Sensor 1

P1171
     Fuel System Lean During Acceleration

P1297
     Electrical Load Detector Circuit Input Low

P1298
     Electrical Load Detector Circuit Input High

P1300
     Random Misfire

P1336
     CKP System Variation Not Learned

P1359
     CKP/TDC Sensor Disconnected

P1361
     TDC Sensor Intermittent Interruption

P1362
     TDC Sensor No Signal

P1380
     ABS Rough Road System Fault

P1381
     Cylinder Position Sensor Intermittent Interruption, Misfire Detected (Except 1998 Rodeo)

ABS Rough Road Class 2 Serial Data Fault Or Link Error (1998 Rodeo)

P1382
     Cylinder Position Sensor No Signal

P1390
     G Sensor Circuit Intermittent Voltage Low

P1391
     G Sensor Performance

P1392
     G Sensor Voltage Low

P1393
     G Sensor Voltage High

P1394
     G Sensor Intermittent Voltage High

P1404
     EGR Valve Stuck Closed

P1406
     EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit
  • Hello all- just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. My 1999 Trooper has been running perfectly the entire time I owned it- no oil burning, synthetic fluids only, all fluids changed regularly. It has 41,000 miles and just ran out of manufacturers warranty three months ago. Yesterday, on the highway I heard a muffled bang accompanied with momentary surge and it started to run rough and the CEL came on about the same time as the temp. gauge started rising. I shut it down before it got too hot and towed to dealer today. Dealership is saying that they believe it is a cracked head (antifreeze coming out of exhaust and milky brown foamy oil on dipstick). They want me to authorize a $700 tear-down to see what caused it. At that point the extended warranty people come out to look at it and have their say as to what caused the failure. My extended warranty covers all powertrain components, but I am leery of spending $700 just to be told that they are going to fight me over the cause of the failure.If its covered, I get my $700 back, if not I am out even more money. Anyone have any experience with this failure or aftermarket warranty companies? The extended warranty company is called Century warranty service of Jacksonville, FL. THANKS!
  • Decide how much you are willing to spend to repair first, then negotiate a lower price, shop around.
    Does the 99 have the manually adjusted valve clearance? Was this done on schedule? Is it possible that an exhaust valve failed to open and that blew out the head gasket?
    I haven't heard of this before. Of course I have to ask the questions regarding maintenance history? Have you changed the oil regularly? Had 15K and 30K services performed, etc.
    There has been a lot of upgrade talk in the past regarding new chips, intake changes, etc to gain more power. I saw this today, what do people think?

I am not sure if I need more power than my 1999 delivers, but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.4x4wire.com/news/tone_monday/tone_sc02/
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Tone Monday... I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him personally...

I've had many a discussion with him about Isuzus and he's just thick headed and I'm not impressed with anything he says or puts out.

-mike
    (Shiro) Nakamura is recognised as one of the most influential designers in the international auto industry and was general manager of Isuzu's design centre when Nissan chief executive Carlos Ghosn persuaded him to become Nissan's chief designer.

http://www.ameinfo.com/news/Detailed/48531.html
  • I have this sound once in a while on light acceleration, like a chattery plastic valve or like a playing card in kids bicycle spokes. It sounds like its in front of the passenger side firewall. Looking at the firewall there from the engine compartment I see a black plastic disc - looks like a diaphram, could that be it? Any ideas please. Thank You BoxTrooper.
    I read that blower site, 39hp for $2850? That is a lot to pay for so little gain, but might be handy at very high altitudes. The pictures on that site fail to make the blower unit look well built. How long would it last? How likely are other engine troubles when adding a blower? It is not for me.
  • I have another CEL condition after just 8 days ago having the thermostat replaced for the engine running too cold. I will take it back to the same mechanic since I trust them.
    No symptoms, just CEL. Maybe the fix is a piece of electrical tape over the CEL, but then the ODBII will tell on me next time I have to pay for a county emissions sticker, so I better deal with it.
    If the condition clears itself, will the CEL go back off?
    Is there a way to get the CEL to blink out the CEL code so I can find out what the problem is? (my 1984 Trooper had a couple pins to short out then the engine light would blink a pattern, this happened only once because I took it all apart just to see how it worked and missed a hose putting it all back together)
    Trooper reliability in my household all the way back to 1984 is legendary, now with two CEL back to back, there is some doubt.
  • I am pleased with the performance of my 2001 Trooper even though it has the CEL.
    In the next few months I will get OME shocks the HD mid grade ones and new tires.
    So far I am going with the AT-Revos LT245/75R16C because they are as tall as 265/70R16 and 7 lbs lighter, yet they have 15/32nds tread depth compared to the usual 13/32nds.
    Three days in a row I am the only one to post here! Why?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Three days in a row I am the only one to post here! Why?

Perhaps everyone is out enjoying one of the last weekends of Autumn in their Troopers! Don't fret - they'll be back. The boards are usually relatively quiet on weekends.

tidester, host
  • bawbcatbawbcat Posts: 118
    I believe LT tires tend to be stiffer than P. I presume that could give you a harsher ride. I once switched from LT tires (BFG AT) to P tires (Michelin AT) on a Jeep Cherokee, and the P tires were much more comfortable. I did replace shocks at the same time, so that probably helped also.
  • I tend to run my P series tires on the high pressure side so I can get that stiffer ride, I don't like it when handling seems mushy. I do wonder if the LT 75 tall tires will actiually give more that the P 70 series because of the extra height. That worry makes me consider LT265/75R16C instead, which will be wider and a little more stable, but I also worry about MPG, and the extra weight and diameter of the bigger tire will cost MPG. The extra width of the wider tire might be a disadvantage in snow since they must push/plow a wider tread path through it. The overcapacity of the bigger tires might also provide less stopping power on pavement if the rubber compound is harder for that heavier load that is not there. Bigger tires would definately look better.
    I have been also considering (compare to Revos) the Michelin LTX M/S, but LTX don't come in LT245/75R16C, they only come in "E" load range in that size, and I think LRE rubber would be too hard. They do have LTX M/S in LT245/75R16C, and it weighs only one more pound than the 245E. My tire store guy says even though the LTX M/S web page claims 15/32nd, they actually measure 14/32.
    LTX M/S would be a longer wearing tire than the Revo and maybe a little quieter(M/S vs. AT), but the Revo's softer rubber as it wears down is a very good thing. I had an emergency stop, car pulled out in front of me in the rain (driver on cell phone ran a stop sign), I expected to kill the guy in a t-bone accident that would total both vehicles, but, I stopped impressively well with my current set of Revo's that have less than 5/32nds left. I wonder if the LTX M/S would have allowed me to stop as well under those conditions, I doubt it. So I am still thinking Revo for the next set.
  • I've owned the vehicle for 10,000 miles. I had it tuned up when purchased, and have been changing the oil with Mobil one every 3500 miles. All fluids- ATF, coolant, differential etc. have been flushed and replaced also. I've had many import cars over the last twenty years but never something like this. Guess I'll need to locate all of my receipts if this ends up in small claims court. The aftermarket warranty company will cover any engine failure/damage to parts, gaskets, etc. except those due to overheating.
    Could anyone give a rundown on the various OME shocks for a late model STOCK suspension Trooper?
    soft/medium/firm, N15/N65??? etc...
    Opinions, benefits, concerns? Ride quality on vs off road? Does someone make OME for them or are they their own manufacturer? The descriptor for their shocks is similar to Trailmaster Suspensions description of some of their shocks.

Looks like there is a monotube adjustable KONI that might be interesting. Monotube, high pressure BUT being able to soften it to a certain degree. There is also the KYB Monomax. I'm concerned that the monotube shocks may be a bit stiff on washboard dirt roads, for example, rattling the Trooper apart. I know someone with the Bilsteins, higher pressure shock than the Monomax, but they are pretty stiff.

I currently have RS9000's, but feel that while they remain controlled over large bumps they are too bouncy over small ones. I think they are, perhaps, not worn, but weakening somewhat in fine control. I've varied them from a setting of 2 to 4 and find the ride acceptable, but I find small road imperfections cause the Trooper to wander or bounce a bit (getting some tire bounce). I don't think it is related to being too stiff, as I also notice this on the softest setting. I do have 265/70 tires, so I'm carrying a bit more unsprung weight.

With a low setting, I can fly down washboard dirt roads and not even feel it. Then crank them up for harder stuff. I'm thinking of trying a warranty exchange. The shocks are about 5 years old. I like them, but wish they were more of a true gas shock, providing a little more control.

Thanks.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I tried to get my RS9000s replaced under warranty, need the original reciept and it's not a problem. I didn't have mine unfortunately.

-mike
  • kleinckleinc Posts: 13
    I have a 97 and I'm trying to find a tire cover that is not the cheap kind on-line. Any Ideas? Anyone heard any news on the 2007 trooper?
  • The shop just a week ago did a thermostat replacement with new intake manifold gaskets and a new serpentine belt because they needed replaced.
    So when the CEL came back I was worried about another expensive repair. Turned out to be a not tight enough gas cap, never had a loose gas cap before, still, I am a little embarrassed, but having a $0 trip to the shop is a great thing.
  • Hi, Mike, I have the same situation. My mechanic recommended me to replace all 4 of them and he said they are causing the uneven tire wear and road noise. But I cannot find the original receipt :(

Anyway, I found a deal at Sears this week, them will provide free installation promotion. This time, I will just go with Monroe Sensa-Trac ($40 each) and wish them last longer than Rancho. Sears also carries Rancho 5000 and 9000x. The sales men at Sears should have a second job at used car dealer. When I asked them to order the shock, they pretend they don’t know the free installation promotion! Later they guy try to sell me 4 tires and claimed that I have to replace my current Yokahoma which only have 30k miles. Well, even if I decide to buy tires, I will go to Costco, which is $30 cheaper and offer free installation.
    Not sure about manufacturing details. I can report that they are superb on and off road.

I first added a bullbar, and then added the OME shocks. The stock shocks could not handle some of the offroading I did in the summertime. 45 minutes bouncing over sand dunes to remote fishing spots was too much for them, actually 10 minutes was too much for them. They would start losing performance and I was bouncing all over the trails.

The OMEs were such a huge improvement offroad, even the kids were picking to ride with me rather than in my brothers expedition because his stock shocks would fade and bounce like crazy. The OMEs just stay even the whole time.

On road they are good also. I am very happy with the performance, less nose dive on braking, less body rolls in and out of cornering. Bumps are not as harsh (still jarring, just not as much).

I have about 20K on my OMEs and they still seem good. I really don't know how long they should last, but the stocks seemed dead after 18K.

I have the n65/15 setup. There weren't really any options since I have the bullbar upfront, they recommended that set from ARB. You should go to the website...www.arbusa.com...and email them your questions and ask for their recommendations, they are really good about getting back to people.

I don't know about other brands, but the OMEs are designed specifically for the trooper and I have been extremely excited about the performance...They were definitely the best upgrade I added to my truck.

You can buy them on the web and have a local shop install them. Try www.rocky-road.com or www.4x4connection.com for pricing.

Last one...you don't need OME springs to use these shocks. I don't have them and have no issues running just the shocks.
  • Man, is it looking dark for Isuzu. Pushing the Ascender for two years??!? My local dealer (who also sells Lincoln-Mercury...talk about a no-win situation...) has all of 2 Ascenders on the lot. Their back lot, which was once filled with 150-175 various vehicles, is empty, with maybe 80 Mercury/Lincoln vehicles in the front. This is on a major Houston freeway. Pretty sad....

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101233