Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• gao16gao16 Posts: 7
    I just had to take my 2000 S (pretty basic-auto and TOD) to the dealer on 1/20/03. Symptoms-constant check engine light, surging RPM at idle, unable to sit and idle for more than a few minutes, and intermittent stalling. The problem was fixed under warranty, no problems with dealer. I also received a follow up call the next day from dealer service department. Seems Isuzu computers were down on 1/20/03 and the service dept was unable to check recalls. The service mgr set me up with a loaner and recall work was done today. The recall work had to do with a fuel hose kit and a fuel pipe protector. I would recommend M'Lady Isuzu in Chicago area for service, but I did have a bad experience with their sales dept.
  • Starting fluid is even more explosive then gasoline. Maybe use WD-40. At least don't test it in your garage.
  • serranoserrano Posts: 107
    Do you have any proof to back up your assertion? Starting fluid is basically alcohol. I disagree with you. It's not like nitromethane, or even gasoline. I have used it on snowmobiles, small engines, and autos, and have yet to see any evidence to support your conlusion. In my opinion, gas vapor is much more dangerous.

WD-40 is a water dispersant, albeit petroleum based. I would be very surprised if it did anything at all.

Tom
  • ostazostaz Posts: 80
    Starting fluid is NOT alcohol based, it is ether based, and yes, it's explosive and dangerous.

Sam
  • Starting fluid, at least the traditional kind , is more like ether than alcohol, and is extremely flammable, and dangerous to inhale. WD40 will definitely change the fuel/air mixture into something more combustible. It has solvents in it that are extremely flammable.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,971
    I went sea kayaking one March and a snowstorm blew in after we got set up on the beach. There was lots of soaking wet driftwood, but the can of starter fluid I found on the beach got a bonfire going in no time. If you read Crankshaft, think about Ed's BBQ :-). That stuff will singe your eyebrows before you light it!

Can't imagine it being good for MAF sensors and the like on newer cars.

Steve, Host
  • cbreckcbreck Posts: 9
    The surge/stalling problem I have is not constant. The first time it occured was after my first drive out to the Colorado river from Los Angeles, in the middle of July(110 degrees), no check enging light. After stopping for food and beer, the surging stopped. Since then, it occurs after driving more than 20 miles on the freeway, or after several short trips in the morning. Only twice has the check engine light come on. I don't know how much of a leak would cause the problem.
    I'm wondering if it's possible for the gasket to expand and contract throughout the thermal cycling of engine operation, enough to cause the problem to be intermittent? I'm stumped!
  • Recently I have driven in some very slippery ice on steep hills, a significant hazzard South of the road salting line. The kind of hills that I downshift to ascend in summer. Today there was a Jeep Grand Cherokee spinning its tires and being pushed by two big guys that I had to wait for. They ended up going back down the hill to find another route. Once the jeep was out of the way I put my Troper in 4wd High and eased the clutch out in first gear. I went right up. I even was even able to shift to second without breaking loose a tire. Another vehicle suddenly apeared over the crest of the hill from the other side, the sunny side dry side, it was moving too fast, I was worried for a moment since I was in the oncoming lane going around an abandonned car, but I was able to get back over to my side of the road before the oncoming vehicle got too close. A few miles later another big glare ice hill and this time it was a full size white work van that could not go up. He got sideways and was lucky to stay out of the ditch turning around. There were cars in the ditch on one side and way down in the woods on the other that slipped off this hill. Again I eased my Trooper right up the hill without slipping. I don't have TOD and I don't have rear limited slip. My 1995 SOHC Trooper-S has new Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo tires that impressed me very much today.
    Okay, okay, ether is not the same as alcohol. Here is a link describing its composition - http://classes.yale.edu/chem220a/studyaids/history/ether/ether.html. I grudgingly yield to the masses who think the car will explode by virtue of spraying ether in the engine compartment. However, keep in mind that folks spray this stuff into an open air cleaner and intake manifold. I think the dangers here are overstated. Yeah, if you empty the whole can into a puddle on the engine, you might have some problems, but let's not get too PC on the dangers of a spritz of starting fluid.

An alternate method of diagnosis is to use a vacuum gauge. It is likely that an air leak would lead to unsteady, weak vacuum. I defer to the experts on the correct engine vacuum for this vehicle at idle because I have not had the opportunity to do any diagnosis of this type on a trooper.

Tom
  • PC?

The stuff is very dangerous to inhale. Ether was once used as an general anethesia. I wanted to be sure no one thought it was just alcohol and could be treated as such.

I personally had no problem with your suggestion to use it as a diagnostic tool, although spraying it around all sides of both intake manifolds while you stick your head down close to the engine to listen... to... to the.. rev....... [instert noise of fan slashing face of person lying across the engine unconscious].
    tkevinblanc - you have an overactive imagination. Amusing, but overactive.

Tom
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Serrano, allow me to present myself as one Trooper-owning moron who definitely would be stupid enough to do exactly what tkevinblanc is describing. I appreciate you pointing this out as a good troubleshooting tip, but I appreciate even more that tkevinblanc and others cautioned on the risks involved!
    serrano, thanks for your explanation. Today I was able to locate the SOTF unit. I removed the skid plate (14mm bolts) and fitted a 17mm socket on what I thought were the drain and fill plugs, but I couldn't budge either one. My guess is lack of torque since the 17mm socket was attached to my shortish 3/8" drive socket wrench.

Can someone confirm that the two 17mm bolts whose tops face the front passenger wheel are indeed the fill (mounted higher, and slightly further toward back of truck) and drain (lower, and slightly closer to front of truck) plugs?

The owners manual in my 1998 Trooper calls for GL-5 gear oil. I have some Mobil 75W90 synthetic gear lubricant left over from changing the differential fluids last year, and the bottle says it exceeds all GL-5 requirements. Is this a good, and compatible, choice for the Trooper SOTF unit?
    Ran across this vendor tonight and don't recall anybody else mentioning them.

www.jatdesign.net. I know nothing about them and was disappointed to see their Trooper page does NOT include a sample pic of a seat in a Trooper.
    Bluedevils - that Mobil 1 gear lube will work fine in the SOTF system.

Tom
  • breakorbreakor Posts: 398
    No, I do not believe those are the plugs. The check level/fill plug is the big plug that is accessed from the REAR and faces towards the rear. It is more or less in the center of the unit. Look at the manual picture again.

Like I noted before I didn't find a drain plug. Then again my fluid looked like brand new so I didn't need to change it. Consequently I didn't look very hard for a drain. In that I didn't see one on the bottom of the unit my current plan is to eventually suction out the old fluid with a large syringe. That should even get the old fluid off the bottom of the unit, as opposed to a "hidden" but higher up drain that I may have missed.

Just my $.02.
  • I think there was some confusion on the whole intake manifold gasket/starting fluid posts. Spraying "starting fluid" such as found at auto parts stores, for winter problems, is not the same as "charcoal lighter fluid", which I'm guessing is what the kayaker found on the beach. Both can be dangerous and you should read and heed the directions on the containers.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,971
    It was ignition starter fluid that came in the aerosol can - not recommended for starting fires! It was in common usage among boat owners at the time (still is?) and if the guy didn't vent the engine compartment after using some... well, that could explain how the can wound up on the beach.

Steve, Host
  • cwp2cwp2 Posts: 19
    I started to "quickly" replace the back wiper, then realized I have to pull the cover and spare tire, etc. Am I missing something obvious and simple, or what?
    signed......getting all wet