Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• Yes

In this case two very different finance options: 60-note vs. 48 month lease were very close in final cost. But only because Isuzu lowered my obligation to them. A 60 month note is the better choice in most cases, especially with a down payment. I was upside down on my trade, so the lease allowed me to cover the loss without any out of pocket expense.

I am provided a vehicle allowance through my company. This allowance is a set amount each month. A lease allows me to keep the monthly payments within my company's limits. I have done this for years and tend to look at a lease as a 4 year note with a balloon payment on the end. I never recommend leasing to others because of the inherent risks involved. For my situation, I usually work the deal both ways (60-month note vs. 48-month lease) and take the best fit. With some of the low APR offers I have seen lately, a long term lease does not make any sense. IMO
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    Question for those of you who have stuck with the stock tires (Dunlops?) - how many miles did you get out of them? A friend of mine thinks his are wearing pretty fast on his Trooper, a 00 or 01 model, not sure which.
  • My stock tires were Bridgestone Duellers. They lasted about 45K. My second set (Dueller A/T's) lasted around 45K as well. Both sets had around 5K left on them when replaced. I rotate every 5K and would describe my driving style as moderate. Hope this helps.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Are the OEM tire in general. (some got goodyears IIRC) I swapped mine at around 20K, probably could have gotten another 10K out of em if I wanted, and probably 25K more if I was like most people and change them late. I always change em early cause of my driving style.

-mike
    ...traction is a good thing. ;-)
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Our 98 came with Bridgestone Dueler 684s. Our 96 came with Goodyears - Wrangler AP, if I remember correctly. Haven't heard about Dunlops being original equipment on newer Troopers. In general, my opinion of Dunlop tires is pretty high.
    Not really, just a brain fart - my old 88 Pathfinder came with Dunlops. But yes the Troopers come with Dueler 684s now that you guys mention it.

Thanks for the replies, I will relay the info to my friend.
  • My 1995 Trooper had 4 GoodYear APs on the ground and a Bridgstone Dueler 684 under the spare cover. I had asked to swap to the Duelers when I bought it, they said no, probably because they had already swapped away my Trooper's Duelers for someone else. The only thing good about the GoodYear APs is that they are quiet.
    The APs went 45K to 50K IIRC, that was 85K ago.
    History of tires on my 1995 Trooper:
    New to 45K GoodYear AP
    45K to 85K GoodYear RFA (low sale price)
    85K to 130K Dueler HL
    130 to present Dueler ATRevo
    Rated for traction, 1 = BEST Traction:
    1 = ATRevo by far
    2 = HL tread holds little rocks
    3 = RFA rubber got hard then no traction
    4 = AP only for clean pavement
    Rated for noise, 1 = Quietest:
    1 = HL very nice luxery SUV tire
    2 = AP GoodYear's quietest tire
    3 = ATRevo extremely quiet for an AT tire
    4 = RFA OK when new but quickly got louder
    Rated for handling, 1 = Best Handling:
    1 = HL very nice luxery SUV tire
    2 = ATRevo handling nearly as good as HL
    3 = RFA stiff
    4 = AP mushy
    My favorite by a wide margin is the ATRevo.
    Note that with 255/70/16 I get correct speedometer reading based on a watch and the mile markers on the highway.
    If you upsize the tires and want some idea of weight difference ask the tire store for the shipping weight of each size.
    Our 96 Troop had 51k on the OEM Goodyears when the truck was totaled. New tires were needed within 5-10k miles.

Our 98 Trooper went 52k on the OEM Bridgestone Duelers. Could have squeezed 60k but wanted new rubber on the truck with winter approaching.

Both my wife and I have a pretty easygoing driving style, and I think that helps us get more out of our tires than some folks.
  • Man! I can't believe that some are getting upwards of 50k miles on 684's. I must drive like Paisan, as I blew through mine in 27k miles. I now have Scorpion 265/75's and have about 31k miles on them. They don't have a whole lot left. I'll probably get another 5k max before I change them. I don't rotate them as often as I should, but they are wearing evenly.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Either we have similar driving styles or we like to have fresh tires. I have about 30K miles on my Scorpion ATs as well in 275-70-16 and will likely be swapping them out in the next 10K-15K miles as well. I also am not as religious as I should be with rotations. :)

-mike
    This surprised me, since the treadwear rating is only 180 which is really low. But even at 52k, ours had a reasonable, though fairly small, amount of tread. They definitely were not in the danger zone yet.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    Anyone turn their Duelers in at 30K and get any money back because of the 50K or 60K treadlife warranty?
  • cwmosercwmoser Posts: 227
    I got right at 49,000 miles on my original 684's. They need replacing now but would still have a lot more tread IF I had rotated them at proper intervals.

Still trying to decide on what tires to buy.
  • Just got a Vehicle Recall Reminder postcard for Campaign # 00V-253 & 00V-376 (may be 001 instead of 00V, it was hand written). Anyone know what they are all about?
  • greenmaxgreenmax Posts: 47
    To all Trooper fans, here's a tip: Target has on clearance all grades of Havoline (Chevron-made) oil for only $0.68/qt! I loaded up on SL 5W-30 and 10W-30. :) BTW, they also have many other accessories and supplies on clearance, marked down 30% or more.
  • sdavitosdavito Posts: 70
    Hopefully Target isn't getting out of the oil business. That's where I buy my Mobil 1. They have the best oil prices by far in this area.
  • mbednorzmbednorz Posts: 63
    Thought I'd chime in on the tire wear. The '01 Trooper I just bought has Dueler 684s with 22,000 on them. I'd estimate they have another 10,000 to go. It would probably be more, but all four tires have feathering on the outside, which is accelerating the tread wear.

Just put on Westin Side Steps (black). Pretty easy installation (1.5 hours in my driveway). My wife really likes having the steps. I'm really pleased with the way they look; visually lowers and widens the vehicle. And a more rugged look than running boards. I can recommend these, if you're not doing rugged off-road. As the off-roadies know, running boards and side steps are the first to go when you run out of ground clearance to the side.
  • mpelmpel Posts: 23
    Have 51K on my '99 S. Front tires showed pretty good wear. Rotated them to the back hoping for a little 'evening out'. I'm not too concerned with performance...more concerned with value. What is a tell tale sign I need to change tires??

Also, the side steps...are those the black 'pipe' or 'tube' looking ones? How much would I pay for a set? Can I install without much car/mechanical knowledge?!?

Thanks (this chat room is awesome!!)