Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• savvas_esavvas_e Posts: 347
    Mine just came back from a 60000km (approx 35000 mile) service yesterday.

According to the workshop notes, the brake linings on all 4 wheels are at 50% wear. So it looks like I'll get some good life out of them.

Incidentally...about a year ago, I posted a message about a hard shifting transmission. Mine started doing that again about two weeks ago. They found a few dirty electrical connections, and a blown brake light bulb. I immediately recalled Paisan having the same problems, but it was due to a blown brake light fuse on his Trooper.

Just an interesting point to keep in mind.
  • chporterchporter Posts: 8
    Anybody seen this one: my 99 Trooper (76K miles) four wheel drive system won't activate on the fly. If I push the 4WD button, stopped or moving, while the engine is running, the TOD display will blink continuously and not come up in 4WD. BUT, if I push the TOD button before I start the engine, it will come up in 4WD and perform perfectly. Sometimes I am able to quickly turn off the motor, hit the TOD button, restart the engine and have it come up in 4WD. Other times that doesn't work and it seems to need to need to be turned off a bit longer to have the engine-off gambit work. Heat related?? I've done the ECU reset attempt by leaving the battery unhooked overnight, btw. Didn't work. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks,
    Craig
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    Hmmm...a few ideas. You have addressed the electrical problem? You have unhooked the battery? Is there a reset button near the fuse box?

It could be the actuator, I believe the unit is vacuum activated? Maybe a hose is loose, or the unit itself is going? Perhaps it works on startup because there is a rush of pressure to the actuator?

Or is it just a display problem? Maybe it is working, but not displaying properly? I think a trip to a dealership is required.
    Hmmm, I like the vacuum loss idea. I know it's not the display because on an icy day I was able to establish that the 4WD wasn't coming on just by driving around the neighborhood. Any ideas on TOD reset or fuse-related gremlins?

Anyone got a schematic or description of the vacuum system re: TOD? My dealership seems like such a ripoff -- I always feel scammed after going in there...I'll take it in eventually but would like to be armed with a few more facts!

Thanks.

Craig
  • psucommopsucommo Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Isuzu Trooper with the original tires, size 245/70/16. Its time to replace them and I would like to go up a size to 255/70/16. I've spoken with several tire dealers and the dealership, and I get conflicting responses as to whether this will affect the odometer, ABS, etc. Anyone ever put this size tire on the trooper and have any problems?
    255/70s won't effect anything too much. I run 265/70s. No problem. The odometer is off by 1.077%, not a big deal, I just have to remember to multiply by that when figuring out mileage. Speed? I have passed by one of those police MPH signs and my speedo was very close...38 mph was slightly under 40. It isn't accurate enough to begin with for me to worry about it. ABS and other functions are pretty much unaffected, you may notice a little powerloss, maybe. You may not be able to notice a difference with 255s.

Tirerack.com has a lot of good information. As well as some tire websites offer actual tire size specs. A 255/70 from one manufacturer may be the same as a 245/70 from somewhere else.

Anyway, if you want to upgrade your tires go for it, I have read that 285s can be used on a stock setup. My 265s fit perfectly and don't come close to rubbing even when offroad and the suspension is flexed to its limit.
    Does 4wd Low still work?

I read through those 2 other links, and it seems like isolating those vacuum switches could be the culprit?

I wonder about 4wd low because if this ever occurs offroading, would you still be able to use Low to get home or until you get to a dealership to fix it?
    Thanks for the links. It's looking more and more like the vacuum problem.

As to 4WD LO, that will also not engage, which I'd think also points toward a vacuum problem. As soon as it gets a bit warmer here in southeast Michigan I'm going to crawl around under there for a look.

Craig
  • psucommopsucommo Posts: 2
    sbcooke, thanks for the info, its greatly appreciated. I'll definitely check out tirerack's site for further info. Who knows, I might just go up to the 265/70. Thanks again.
  • cbreckcbreck Posts: 9
     The saga continues. After the fourth visit to the not so localIsuzu dealership to correct the intermitent irratic idle/stalling problem on my 98 trooper,(they say is attributed to the mass airflow sensor)they first replaced the sensor, then the ECM, then both, at which time I believe they had an inexperienced tech do the work, as the master tech was leaving the dealership, and he had informed me they had not hired a replacment. Upon picking the truck up after the last visit, I noticed the CEL on, the low fuel light flashing, the fuel gage reading incorrectly, and the upshift light flashing(its a 5 speed).
     Now, according to the service manager, "something in the electrical system is shorting out the computer, and they are working with Isuzu to figure out the problem". Meanwhile I'm driving a rental. Its my assumption that the inexperienced tech screwed it up. If anyone has the Helms manual on CD and they wouldnt mind emailing me the section on replacing the ECU, I would be extremely greatful. If its adobe acrobat, or if you could cut and past into a word doc. Please help. I need some amo when I go back to the dealership and threaten legal action.
  • greenmaxgreenmax Posts: 47
    If you can't get 4WD Low to engage, the problem is not with vacuum switches as the 4WD gear shifter is mechanically linked to the gear box.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Well i'll report tomorrow, just got back from uwharrie.

-mike
  • breakorbreakor Posts: 398
    Regardless of the transfer case settings, you are not going to get 4wd unless the SOTF unit has good vacuum and working electrical connections.
    Problem. I can't get 2wd. TOD and 4-low work fine, but 2wd doesn't want to engage. I'm having it looked at my guess is that it's a vaccum line or electrical cnx on the SOTF unit.

TOD worked great in uwharrie :) Didn't use 4-low once.

-mike
    hmmm...do you think it could just be mud caked up on some of the electrical components? Did you get a wash before you drove back up?
    Been like this since the winter. I had it in TOD all winter and haven't touched it, tried to take it out about a month ago and it won't come out. It's been washed, etc. since the problem started. I have an appt on April 15 to get it looked at along with my rear LSD since the LSD didn't LSD @ uwharrie.

-mike
    interesting? How could you tell? My LSD barely LSDs anymore, I did some testing on ice this winter and was unimpressed. I had an old '79 Chevy Caprice Classic with Positraction(i.e. LSD) which worked great, I am surprised at how little the LSD on the trooper does.

Let us know regarding the LSD, I am interested to read about your results. I have read a lot of things to "it wears out" and "isn't tuned that well to begin with" regarding.
    I was climbing up the Dickie Bell Trail @ uwharrie and the guys behind me asked if I was open or LSD in the rear, cause I was spinning the lifted wheel...

So we'll see what they come up with, hopefully good news.

I also picked up my front LSD unit as well but that won't be going in just yet.

-mike
    What brand? What did it cost?