Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    I assume you'll go through Denver and the mountains on I-70 when you go to Moab. I've been to Moab in a Jeep Wrangler about 50 times, but, more importantly, or more to my point anyway, I can tell you of about 50 incredible trails in Summit, Lake and Park Counties, Colorado (70 miles west of Denver). I would just need to think it all out and make you up a map that I could scan and email to you. Some of the trails are fairly season-sensitive. For instance, in order to "tread lightly" the forest service keeps some trails closed until the run-off is over, which can stretch out into late June and sometimes even into mid July. But most of the others I'm thinking of are accessible beginning in May/June. I can recommend trails ranging from nice scenic views to those that would rival the Rubicon Trail. Moab is great, it's just different (read HOT, while Summit County never gets above 90 degrees ((nice break from the rest of the country))and LOW humidity - although Moab has low humidity too). I can tell you where our favorite campsite is. The terrain and views in Colorado cannot be beat.

Jim
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yeah, probably gonna caravan or ZooaVan out with a bunch of other Zoos for Zu Moab V :) You should come out for it, can't be too far from TX.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    isn't too hot in May, that's why ZuZoo is held then...this year it ranged from kinda hot one or two days (nothing extreme, though) to pretty cool and windy one night.

I understand it can get pretty hot in summer, though...
    now flies non-stop from Houston to Denver for as low as $179.00 RT (usually more like $220.00). Anybody care to divert 20 miles to DIA and pick me up? I really would consider this. We'd have a night's free lodging in the mountains too, if we wanted it. I'll keep checking in on dates.

Jim
    20miles/2000+miles is almost nothing. Definitely looks like next year will ba a ball. Do you use AOL Instant Messanger? There is usually an Isuzu chat happening 24x7. Just check http://isuzu-suvs.com/im for details.

-mike
  • cdpar5in2cdpar5in2 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to all for the tips on the running boards and side steps.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    several hundred messages since I left.
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    Where is Moab anyway? And when is the trip everyone is talking about?
    It's in Utah. I believe it's a National Forest, or National Park. It's where they hold the national Isuzu Off-road camping trip each year (or at least the past 4 years) Usually held in May.

-mike
    Moab is in SE Utah, right near Arches National Park and many other scenic areas. It is a Mecca for all sorts of off-road activities, trucks, ATVs, motorcycles, mountain bikes, you name it. THey have events such as the Easter Jeep Safari which attracts over 1,500 Jeeps for off-road trail rides.

The "main" Isuzu-related event is 'ZuZoo, which is held in May each year. This year (ZuZoo IV) there was about 80 vehicles participating. Check out zuzoo.org for ZuZoo V event news. For general area info check out moab-utah.com.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You're being paged in the following topic regarding a good tint shop in NYC. IIRC, you wrote about this just recently, but I can't remember where.

nypdau "Window Tinting" Aug 12, 2001 6:49pm

barnone "Window Tinting" Aug 14, 2001 12:19pm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • car1988car1988 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '94 Trooper LS with all the options and it has become very costly in repairs now ( last 2 years $8K ... new a/c, new trans, etc ) = I want to buy a 2001 LS "4x4" (with a sun/moon roof ) ... asap to pull a 24' boat and to go snow skiing.

I am in Orlando,FL and the dealer explained that Florida does not get any "4x4" Troopers .... only "2x2" !!??!!?? Plus, this dealer has contacted their distributor on 08/14/01 and was told that per the factory that there is only only one (1) "4x4" Trooper (Limited ... loaded opts) in the USA !!!???!!!???
    I am having a very hard time believing this dealer that there is now in inventory only one (1) "4x4" Trooper in the entire USA !!

I need your help .... where do I look and/or who do you suggest I contact at Isuzu in order to get a Trooper LS "4x4" ? Thank you in advance for your assistance on this matter !!
    Mark Jerrick @ SI Subaru/Isuzu in NY. He has 4wd Troopers in stock. I'm not sure how he'd work the shipping but tell him I sent you and maybe he can work it out. 718-979-9595

-mike
  • sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    It is true that 4X4 Troopers are hard to come by in Florida. My suggestion is to call the dealer in Jacksonville (I don't remember the name). That dealer can go directly to the port and hand pick the exact Trooper that you want. The way it works for the rest of the dealers is they basically get whatever comes in on the trucks - they can't order a specific Trooper for you. I hope this helps.

David
    That's 100% incorrect.

1st, the troopers that come in from Japan go to Port of Baltimore, so that rules out your Jacksonville person as going to hand pick them.

2nd, I did in fact order an LS 4wd last year, with the color and options I wanted, and I'm good friends with my dealer so I KNOW he ordered it.

-mike
    It is true that 4X4 Troopers are hard to come by in Florida. My suggestion is to call the dealer in Jacksonville (I don't remember the name). That dealer can go directly to the port and hand pick the exact Trooper that you want. The way it works for the rest of the dealers is they basically get whatever comes in on the trucks - they can't order a specific Trooper for you. I hope this helps.

David
    That's 100% incorrect.

1st, the troopers that come in from Japan go to Port of Baltimore, so that rules out your Jacksonville person as going to hand pick them.

2nd, I did in fact order an LS 4wd last year, with the color and options I wanted, and I'm good friends with my dealer so I KNOW he ordered it.

-mike
    <1st, the troopers that come in from Japan go to <Port of Baltimore, so that rules out your <Jacksonville person as going to hand pick them.

Meybe in NYC, but when I purchased my 2000, it came from Jacksonville.

<2nd, I did in fact order an LS 4wd last year, >
    <with the color and options I wanted, and I'm <good friends with my dealer so I KNOW he ordered <it.

Again, in 2000 there was NO WAY to order a Trooper here in Florida. I called almost every dealer in the state, and they all had the same story. They only get what Isuzu choses to sends them.

David
    That's the line they told you, but it's complete BS. Unless Isuzu works the way Subaru does in the Northeast. In the Northeast Subarus are actually imported/distributed by a different company than SOA. They have different pricing and different rules for getting cars.

I've heard that Atlanta dealers also have good deals on cars, so you might want to call them, and see what they can do for you, it's a shorter drive than to NYC, although I'd imagine they could ship from NYC to FL.

-mike
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Here's an inventory search engine for Isuzu's http://www.isuzudealers.com/
  • montanabill2montanabill2 Member Posts: 36
    Just my two bits worth on this issue for car1988. I just purchased two weeks ago, in Alabama an LS 4X4 with moon roof, trailer hitch, bug guard, after market leather for $25,600 - I had the same offer from a dealer in Tennessee, via the Isuzu web site, - without the leather. If this pricing sounds good to you let me know and I will put you in contact with the dealer - or use this figure to influence the dealer of your choice - thats what I did. Good Luck.
    Ever seen a group that loves their cars more than we do? We may not be high in #s, but I don't think I've found anyone on here who's been totally disgusted with their Troopers. Even the subaru people who are almost as dedicated as we are, just aren't at the same level!

:)

-mike
  • cdanschwartzcdanschwartz Member Posts: 23
    Hi,

Does anyone know how I could reduce the wind noise on my 2001 Trooper? The noise is only noticeable on the expressway at 65 and over. It is not from a window or door leak, nor from the sunroof as I have none.

I think it is due to the flatness of the windshield or mirrors. Would any kind of hood deflector help? How about those plastic things that go around the window frames?

It bothers my wife more than me. (We sold an Odyssey to buy the Trooper and it was more aerodynamic).

Thanks,

Charles
    I have read a few reports about excess wind noise during highway cruising. Now my 2001 is very quiet - in fact I was trying to figure out what there was that caused some owners to complain. But I have a factory Isuzu wind/bug delector that was installed at time of purchase - so just maybe this delfector does a great job of redirecting the air flow that causes the noise. I have installed aftermarket deflectors on other vehicles that do just the opposite plus they cause the outside mirrors to vibrate - not on this vehicle - give it a shot.
    Like Paisan has referred to in the past, these trucks are aerodynamically BRICKS on wheels. I have the stock bug guard on mine, It won't deflect the air over the windshield. I've watched snow flakes come up and into the windshield about 2" above the wiper. They are good for keeping rock chips off the hood though.
    The deflector may not push all the air up over the windshield but it may redirect the air away from the A-pillar and the mirrors where most wind noise is generated. Go buy the delector so we can all find out.
    What Ray said.

The stock defelector though, may help with the wind noise though by deflecting it ever so slightly. Just be fore-warned that over 65mph the stock bug-guard's edges will tap your fenders and be more annoying than wind noise.

Most likely it's due to the aerodynamics of a BRICK WALL, that are causing the noise though or tire noise due to the more agressive treads than your oddessey?

-mike
    I'd get the lund bug-guard if you can find a place that stocks it. Then you won't get the tapping corners >65mph.

-mike
    It has been my experience that "bug deflectors" increase wind noise by making the airflow more turbulent. And they do a crappy job of deflecting bugs, too.

Charles, I suspect your door weatherstripping is not sealing properly.
    I had read an earlier post from paisan about the deflector beating on the body and causing a ruckus - I read these posts closely from all you current owners to predict and analyze problems if they occur - its a great help. On a long trip last weekend at 80+ mph - all day long - no tapping - no buffeting - this delfector is hard mounted to the underside lip of the hood - I read in the Isuzu add-on pamphlet that the deflector was adhesive mounted - don't know if this is a different version or not - matches hood countour and is wrap around with soft taps between the deflector and body to dampen any contact. Hope this helps.
    None of the Isuzu ones have ever been adhesive, at least on in the past 5 years. Same deflector.

They may have changed to compound on later ones so that it doesn't deflect on the edges as much as the older ones? Also mine didn't start to tap until about 2 or 3 months into having it on there.

-mike
    My Trooper doesn't make any annoying wind noises and I traded a 2001 Prelude on the Trooper. I was actually amazed that the brick wall didn't howl on the road. The new wheels I installed do push the tires out even with the wheel wells so I have noticed an increase in noise there. My gas mileage has also decreased (about 1-2mpg) after the new wheels. I'm not sure if the new ones are heavier and have caused the decrease or if my driving has become more aggressive due to the wider track. As for the the bug shield mine didn't flap until about 3 months after the install and I thought everyone that described that experience was crazy. I'll try to get picture up on Paisan's site as soon as I get on taken.
    Mine started that tapping also, a while back people were adding thicker bumpers from Home Depot. I went the other way, I took the stock bumpers off. If you look at the gap between the deflector and the fender, there's no way (at least mine) will hit the fender at speed (THIS EXCLUDES PAISAN AT 100+).
  • cdanschwartzcdanschwartz Member Posts: 23
    My wife called today from the car. She said that she couldn't remove the key from the ignition. The car was in park. I told her to restart the car, move the shifter to neutral, and then to Park and then shut off the ignition and remove the key. It worked. She said it had happened a few times before, and that is what she did to remove the key. I called the dealer and he said he thought I would need a new ignition cylinder. The new cylinder would need to be taken to a locksmith to have the tumblers keyed to the same key as the doors. Then they could replace the cylinder.

Does this sound right? Could anything else be causing this problem?

Thanks,

Charles
    MontanaBill, Paisan, et al.....there's a 2001 4x4 LS (black) at a dealership near my home here in Houston. Base price of 31k'ish, I think. The dealership added tan leather seats, and one of those BS "dealer" stickers off to the side of the regular sticker. So, once they are done adding in the dealer goodies, they calim the price is 34k. Am I to really believe that I could, in good faith, go in there and say I'll give you 27k because MontanaBill did in Alabama, or are they going to give me the "Texas is different than Alabama" BS? If I could really get that thing for 27k'ish, I just might do it and get Paisan to buy my Subaru :-) (otherwise it's gonna be a trade-in ((gasp)) ). Please help me prepare my speech, you guys.

Jim
    I believe you could. My buddy paid 26,500 for his before TTL w/o the leather.

-mike
    The shifter problem is that there is probably something stuck, not allowing the gear shifter to totally go into the park position. Happened to me a # of times. I have a cell-phone cig lighter, and the antenna end of the wire keeps getting stuck down near the shifter, not allowing it to go all the way into park.

My dad did it once too, my mom's pocketbook didn't allow the shifter to go fully into park.

-mike
    Or you could go to http://www.isuzudealers.com/

do a search in your area, I found this one for example http://www.isuzudealers.com/results_2.asp?ID=6044

I know it says Austin, but tell them your willing to drive. Print it off and go make a deal.
  • mtrionfomtrionfo Member Posts: 20
    GTroop - You mentioned mileage dropping 1-2 mpg after installing different wheels. Are you taking the new wheel circumference into account when calculating your mileage? If you're reading the mileage for a tank of gas from your trip meter, then those numbers are likely 3-8 percent below what you have actually traveled.

Not sure what size wheels and tires you installed, but going from standard 245/70-16 to the popular 265/75-16 size will lower your speedo and odometer readings by just over 7 percent. If your Trooper gets typical 17-18 mpg that works out to an ** apparent ** 1.4 mpg decrease in mileage.

If you are already taking the new wheel circumference into account, well... never mind. :>

Rgds, Marty
    95 Trooper LS
    The wheels I went with are from a 95 Rodeo (16x7.5) and the tires are the stock duellers. I'm not sure what that did to the overall diameter but I would think not much. The 01 LS rims weighed just over 19 lbs according to UPS and I think the 95 wheels felt a bit heavier (just going by feel here). There is a lot more aluminum on the 95 wheels. Anybody in KC have digital camera?
    The diameter is the same. 16x7.5 is the size of the stock Trooper rims IIRC.

-mike
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/towchat/isuzuchat.html

• cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    My Trooper has a horrible roar from the tires. I suspect there is a flat spot on it and probably due to my neglecting to rotate them properly. It is comming only from the 2 front tires. I have had them rotated to the rear and the noise moved to the rear. After about 5,000 miles I had the tires rotated back again and the roar is back to the front but seems to be getting worst.

Question: Is this covered by tire warrantee? Is this a safety problem?
  • tntmythtntmyth Member Posts: 70
    I drive my 2001 Trooper up to 90 mph, but usually 80-85 mph. It drives real smooth and no noteable wind noise. Real smooth up to about 74 mph. Then it picks a little tire vibration around 77-78. Smooths out again about 80. Of course there is more wind at 80, but it is a brick wall going 80! I don't think that the noise should not be there. My sister's Navigator is quieter though at speed. Probably due to all the insulation and maybe a little better aerodynamics.

I'm still annoyed by the steering wheel being cranked a few degrees counterclockwise on a straightaway especially on the freeway. I am taking the Trooper back to the dealer on Monday. I will insist on taking a test drive with the alignment tech so we can agree on what "straight" means.

Regarding tire roar. I notice a little roar from the front tires especially when coming to a stop. But I kind of like it. Reminds me that I'm driving a real SUV! :o> I am wondering what kind of tires to buy when these Duellers finally need replacing. I always liked Michelins on my Mazda. Not sure how good they are on trucks. I think i would like some tires a little less wormy. Take that back...alot less wormy! I suspect that the Bridgestones make the Trooper easy to maneuver in a parking lot, but more wormy on the freeway.

Gary
    tntmyth
  • 99trooper99trooper Member Posts: 87
    I'll sell you my Red 99 Trooper Limited for 19,000. Its got 21000 miles on it and is pretty much flawless, class III hitch as well. I just installed Rancho 9000 shocks all around last week..why am i selling (i love this truck)..well because I got a great deal on a 2001 Montero Limited..so now I have two trucks..:) Wish I could keep em both!!! Anyway, the Troop was well taken care of, I use Synthetic Oil in it etc, just waxed it with Xymol a few weeks ago (amazing wax)...

I'll post more to this board with comparisons about the Monty Vs. the Trooper when my opinions are more solid. So far, the Trooper has way better brake feel, and a better feeling transmission...Monty has a much better ride and much more comfort inside..:)
    Once they are out of roation, ie: not rotated at the proper interval, you are pretty much not gonna fix them. That's probably the roar you hear.

As for replacements, I'm looking at the Pirelli Scorpion ATs in 275-70-16 for my truck when the time comes.

-mike
    Jimmyp1 - the trick is to deal on a cash basis - no trade - I have done this enough to know you will save thousands. When I bought my LS two weeks ago they offered me $15K (started at $13K) for a 99 2 door Tahoe 4X4 and six thousand off of sticker for the LS. I sold the Tahoe for $21K and bought the LS for $8K of off sticker. I found out long time ago that if you buy a 4X4 anything it will sell quickly when used - especially if you take care of it - inflation is your friend.

The other part of this is to get more than one dealer involved. Dealers are hungry right now and Isuzu is putting up a lot of incentive to move these vehicles. If you want I will give you the name of a salesman here and you can make him an offer. I would expect you could buy a white LS with moonroof here - have them stick on a hitch and bug deflector too (Huntsville, Al) for $25,500. - Dealer in TN also made me this offer via email and I know they have inventory on the lot. They have an aftermarket shop here that will install leather - including side door panels(where cloth insert is) for additional $1700 or so. Good luck.
    Where are you 99trooper? That's enticing! I'd be interested in hearing more. That's about the same mileage that I bought my MY98 Trooper S. The deal killer might be financing, which I'd need a little of, but I have good banking relationships. I suppose I could just sell the Subaru myself. It would "market" better if I took it back to Colorado. Time might start becoming an issue with you, in that, I don't know how quickly you would want a done deal. Everyone else, I'm not giving up on new either, thanks for all the help.

Jim
    Let me know how much you want for your subie. I'm interested for the right price...

-mike