Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• dmuzykadmuzyka Posts: 31
    My local trailer hitch folks put on a class II hitch, welded a removable extension, and sold me a 4 bike rack that swings down if I need access to the rear door. It all came to around $350, and I've had no problems with carrying 4 bikes on trips. You may want to check with your local experts to see what they offer.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Well I knew it would happen eventually...

Trooper = 1
    Lexus LS450 = 0

Coming to work today a lady in a brand new lexus on the phone is behind me goes to drive around me and clips my right rear bumper. She smacked right into the bumper protector. Pulls up next to me and say "I think I bumped you" I said "It's ok I'm sure it's ok" The front of her car was a tweaked, she'll need a new $700 bumper, once I got to work I checked it out, paint wasn't even taken off the trooper's bumper protector :)

Yippie!

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    Impressive story. Your bumper bar is a great thing for city driving.

I had a very similar experience with a honda a few weeks back...except she hit the tow hook. No damage to me, new hood and grill for her.
    Trooper $25K
    Bumper Bar $200
    Hole in Lexus LS430 Pricelss

-mike
  • dmigeldmigel Posts: 15
    1. Just in stalled a Hidden Hitch. Had to take off the tow hook. Has anyone considered using some longer bolds and putting the tow hook back on under the hitch (in the same location)?

2. Paisan, you will most certainly lead to the sale of a few bumper bars. I looked at independant4x.com, but couldn't find yours. Where exactly is it, or did you customize.
    My bar was a custom one that Matt made for me with 2x4 steel tubing v. 2x2 tubing used on the std. one.

Drop an e-mail to matt and tell him that you are interested in a bar like mine, and I'm sure he'll hook you up on it.

On the hidden hitch, I'm definitely contemplating putting a towhook back in the rear with a longer bolt. I just have been too lazy to do it. It's a PITA to put a towhook through the pin of the reciever sometimes.

-mike
  • kmcgirlkmcgirl Posts: 8
    Thanks for the ideas. I will approach a dealer to see if they can de-activate the security, but still allow the lock / unlock feature to remain.

Tkevinblanc - My problems arise when 2 year gets in the truck to play, I roll windows down, but once you reach inside the window to unlock the door, alarm!! Not a big a deal just inconvenient if I have to go inside and find the FOB.

-Kevin
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Posts: 356
    Been there... but I believe if you lock it from the driver door, the alarm doesn't get set, which is the same as not having an alarm, right? I mean if you disable that feature, you just don't have an alarm, because that's how a thief will get in: break a window, lift the door lock... open door and climb inside.

The FOB will still unlock the doors.

Well, anyway. It's just a thought.
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Posts: 107
    That makes sense. One would think that synthetic wouldn't disappear like dino because it is thinner, goes back thru the rings easier and doesn't break down into goo.

On a 96 Mazda 626 I owned I always put in a pint bottle of lifter cleaner right before an oil change. It isn't is harsh as motor flush and took care of lifter ticking. Maybe a product like that would help out the ring situation if it wasn't too bad.

Maybe the solution is to use a real synthetic like Mobil-1. I have used it in both of my Isuzus since the first oil change.

My Rodeo 3.2 uses about 1/2 quart every 3000 miles.
    My Amigo 2.2 could go 10000 miles on Mobil-1 and not use a drop.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    I think there are problems with the EGR port idea. For instance, a NEW engine isn't going to have fouling of the EGR port. This would take time to occur. The drain ports might be a real issue. He oughta know, if hes been in the biz that long. Still think the idea of breaking the engine 'hard', will help avoid the issue altogether. Anyone able to give testimony about the success of Mobile 1 not getting consumed like dino oil??
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    for the lead on seat covers. I'll check that out!
  • beer47beer47 Posts: 185
    I have been using MB1 since day one. I now have over 94K on my 2000 S. I get it changed about every 10K with original Isuzu filter. I use one qt or so during that 10K interval. I don't think that is too bad considering what I read here at times. I go a little longer than most folks between changes due to the fact that I do alot of interstate miles and I think that MB1 "can take it". It might only take me 3-4 months to rack up 10K miles so I might be changing more often than some people who only go 10-12K a year. If I did dino every 3K I'd never get out of garage! It all comes down to the miles though. If you don't drive much I think it is still important to get even low mileage oil out of there due to possible condensation or other suspension factors. Cheers to all!
  • breakorbreakor Posts: 398
    I have never used a drop. I do relatively few miles and broke it in very easy. I use dino oil. I change it every 3mos or 3k miles whichever comes first.

My buddy has driven his hard since day 1 and also has never used a drop. He does lots of miles with 3k changes on dino.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    The trailer hitch and rear frame of my Isuzu Trooper-S 1995 took a blow from a big Volvo so hard that the Volvo roof bent like a tree fell on it. The rear of my Trooper looks a little scuffed and the plastic bumper cover will need replaced. If that was all that happenned I would be very happy. But the impact also launched my airbags. And put a slight bow in the driver's side rear quarter panel above the tire that I noticed the next morning. Then there's the front right of my Trooper which after accelerating from a dead stop to 30 mph in 0.1 sec hit the rear left of a pickup truck and ruined the pickup's bumper, tailgate and rear quarter panel. It also took out my right front head light, bumper, grill and the A/C condenser. There were no injuries, except a bunch of kids with seat bent shoulder strap marks on their necks.
    My faithful 1995 Trooper still runs great and drives straight and true, if you don't mind the stink of the air bag smoke.
    So I drove it home, it is awaiting the insurance inspector, who said over the phone that he thought it is almost certainly totalled, even though it still runs and drives great.
    5 Speed Troopers are rare and in demand. My kids want me to get a new Trooper to replace it because they love to ride in it.
    Should I just let it be totalled and towed away?
    Should I buy it back after totalling pay for the excessive repair bill?
    Do any of you have a 5 Speed 1995 to 2002 Trooper that you could sell to me?
    How about making a deal that it not be totalled and just not have them replace either the front or rear bumpers and then get a set of ARBs? I wonder if anyone has made a deal like that with an insurance company?
    Please send your suggestions.
    Has anyone got a Trooper with a great body that is in need of a new 1995 chassis with OME suspension? Can the body be swapped as a unit? If my Trooper ends up in the junk yard still running and driving great maybe someone will buy it and make an awsome dune buggy.
    Thank You
    Robert Driving Troopers for nearly 20 years.
  • ostazostaz Posts: 80
    Fellow Troopers:
    The owner’s manual specifies single weight (40) motor oil for the transfer case. Lat week I went to an oil change chain, and they said their book calls for Dextron. I insisted they verify, so they called they support line and an Isuzu dealer who confirmed the Dex.

I am driving with Dex now, but I would like a confirmation. Please help.

Thanks
    Sam
  • troop2shostroop2shos Posts: 235
    Just wanted to say thanks for the recent tire advice on B-stone A/T Revo 694's. The out the door price for a set of 4 255/70's was $500 & change (with tax) including the dealer throwing in the Road Hazard & lifetime balance. The alignment was on spec so no adjustment was needed. The new tires solved the strong pull to the right & the vibration - left front 684 was bad (originally thought the toe was off due to the wear pattern). Except for the LF, the original 684's still had some life left at 37k but they were getting hard & slick so having the LF go bad early was a good excuse to justify the new shoes to my AWA. Since she drives the Troop most of the time I would have heard complaints on the ride height if I went w/ the 265's - she did notice the 1/2" height difference w/ the 255's. Also, I did notice a very minor but slower off the line difference in acceleration w/ the gear ratio change by installing the larger tires - but she won't.
    Now I'm just waiting for Sam's Offroad to deliver my new Rancho RS9000x's this week (buy 3 & the 4th is free :).
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I don't know what state your in, but here's a link to the National Trader Magazine publication for research purposes.
    http://traderpub.com/usaindex.html

Also try Isuzudealers.com, probably not as good as Trader, but here ya go anyway..........good luck.
    http://www.isuzudealers.com/
    If you have TOD that unit is your transfer case and it takes ATF.
    Most important thing - make sure everybody is truly ok. Many, many times it takes a while for whiplash type injuries to show up.

If you have to have a perfect LOOKING Trooper I suggest you take the insurance money and run. Otherwise I suspect you will spend too much money bringing your baby completely back to life. You will just keep finding things that cost more than you think. This is afterall why insurance companies total vehicles - becuase it costs too much to bring them back.

On the other hand if you can stand a few dings here and there then you I suggest you consider buying your Trooper back. Ask the insurance company how much they will give you and how much it will cost to buy it back. The difference is how much money you have to work with. If has to be enough to buy an ARB front bumper, a new rear bumper, an AC condenser, and fix all other functional problems. You also have to have enough left over to pay yourself and your family for the hassle of driving around a "cosmetically challenged" vehicle. If you will not be happy driving such a beater then this option will not work for you.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    I think I might be able to tolerate an automatic transmission if it does not have that "feeling of falling" as it coasts to excessive speed down hills requiring me to ride the brake down every hill. I also recognize that TOD would be better than a manual transmission on highways with patchy ice.
    But the 5 speed makes the Trooper a lot of fun to drive. And I remember test driving the 1995 automatic transmission and I am certainly don't want one of those, too sloppy around shift points causing uneeded engine reving etc...
    Were there any 5 speed 2002 Troopers actually made and imported into the USA?
    Thank you
    Robert