Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I have some concerns. But the more I research it the better I feel. I looked at the crash test data regarding. The Trooper actually held together quite well. The passenger compartment did not get too out of shape. This means that your chances of living are very good. The leg injury is not ideal, but compared to other results the trooper wasn't the worst. The footwell was the only area to get compromised in the collision. This seems to be directly related to a lack of any front bumper. The JGC had a similar problem where the front wheel crushes the footwell too.

I am concerned about the fuel line leak in the 1998-1999. I have emailed NHTSA about trying to get the 1999 evaluated. Isuzu claims the 1998-1999 models don't have the same fuel line routing, which I don't completely believe. The 1998 Jackaroo crash test link didn't show any problems with a fuel line link. After scouring the crash test data I do feel better. Not many crashes result in fire, so even if you hit a stationary object offset on the drivers side, and after the crash fuel spills out, I am not that worried. I am concerned that Isuzu is not fixing the 1998-1999 models, I would like to see more from them.

It is possible the 1998-1999 models are different. For example, the 1995 models scored extremely poorly in crash tests, this was then greatly improved in 1997? Even though the skin hasn't changed the insides may have.
  • cwmosercwmoser Posts: 227
    Yes, it would be nice to know how the structure of the 1998-1999 Troopers differ from the 2000-2001. Since the Trooper, like all SUVs, have no effective bumper, I wonder if a nudge bar like paisan has would help? I would think it would help both in the area of providing initial protection for the fuel line and also prevent intrusion into the driver and passenger compartments.
    from Australia are heralded as adding protection from collisions with kangaroos and other wildlife. I would think that adding a steel bumper mounted to the frame would definitely protect the footwell. I don't know how it would effect the overall structural integrity though. I am most likely going to add one for winching capabilities, not safety, but it could be a possible bonus. I am looking at getting one on for next summers vacation so I won't have any results to post soon.
  • Mike, at vmag.com...the Trooper portion of the forum, there have been a couple of uncomplimentary things said about overlander. Rude people and slow service as well as something about being charged for an order that took forever to arrive, I believe.

On the plus side, I've called them a couple of times and been treated nothing but great!

I also ordered a K&N air filter from them and got it in four days, exactly as promised.

This is not to say that overlander is bad. From my experience I'd order from them again. After all, you can't please everyone and the other two people may have gotten someone who either didn't care or isn't employed by overlander anymore.

The Catz 216's are indeed cool and I'd love to have them but I don't need their ultimate off-road capability and with a family I have to watch the $ a bit more:) so I'm going to have to stick with some Hellas from susquehanna and a Waag center guard for around $250 total. I'll be the first to admit, though, that the ECB bar and the Landmasters are the HOT ticket!

-Dave
  • Count me in as another Trooper owner who isnt the least bit concerned by the recall or "crash results". I'm checking the manufacture date of mine as well as talking to the dealer about it at my first oil change in 500 mi.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I spoke to a rep at FET the manufacturer, so I'm not sure of overlander.com's reps yet. I luckily am w/o family, but a ton of school debt, so I'll have to hold off on the 216s for a bit. Had WAAG had their bar before I got my ECB I would have probably gotten theirs, but I called around all of June 2000 and no one had anything but a Big Wrap around one.

-mike
    Has anyone had problems on cold (below freezing) days opening their moonroof? On my trip upstate, I had problems opening it to vent out the car on the way upstate NY. It seemed like the rubber seal was "sticking" I'm gonna silicone the seal and see what happens next time it's cold.

-mike
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper
  • Mike,
    Did you ever get your mirrors fixed?
    They replaced mine, still vibrates, but was told its normal.
    Had a noise coming from behind the dash on cold mornings. Seems the fuel lines would vibrate on cold days, they fixed that. Seems more Troopers have the same problem. Had exhaust vibration, the replaced the muffler, but still does it when its cold. Was told this is a heat shield and is norm. Any comments? I might need to call the 800# and ask Isuzu for a list of what is norm for this flagship vehicle.
    Well my mirror is now flush against the vehicle (the black triangle piece) and I drove a # of other Troopers @ 85mph, same slight vibration. I also drove a Landcruiser, and a Mitsubishi Montero, same slight vibration. So I'm satisfied that the mirrors are normal for this type of vehicle.

The fluttering some of us pinned down to the edges of the OEM bug guard. One of my corners was torn off, so I ripped the other one off and now no more fluttering noise.

The heat shield can be tightened if it vibrates that much, but I haven't had any problems with mine.

Definitely try a different dealer, I found that to be the easiest fix. The new dealer is quite caring and are excellent.

If you do call Isuzu, immediately ask for a supervisor, because the first level phone people are not of the highest quality!

-mike
    I have contacted them several times with product questions. Although I have never bought anything, yet, they have always responded promptly and informative to any email I send them.
    Hmmm. I have a rattle in the dash only when it is below freezing, while accelerating and only for the first 10 minutes of operation? Fuel line problem? Good info. Last winter when I had it in for service to fix that, it went up to 50 degrees! The dealer could not reproduce.

BTW
    I also found someone with the same TOD problem as mine at VMAG. After 30 minutes of driving the system clunks and harshly engages over 40 mph. This guy had the TOD Vacuum Actuator replaced and it solved his problem. I am hoping to bring my truck in for a follow up on this problem and see if that is it. Not a major deal because the 4wd operates fine, but long term it is something I want fixed.
    Here is a guy who is DEDICATED to Troopers!

http://www.4x4mountainsport.com/

They only carry Trooper stuff, but it looks nice!

-mike
  • The vibration will only be heard in cold weather before the truck warms up. That might be somthing to check. Where is the 800# for Isuzu, is that on the manual? The heat shield has been replaced and only vibrates when its cold. You can hear it when you step on the gas. Another question, has anyone floored the Trooper then hear and feel a jerking? I was told this is the limited slip diff working, any input?
  • Has anyone had problems with a rattle coming from the right rear of the bench seat? I have a 99 Perf(now LS) with about 22.5K miles (had it for 13 months - hey I drive a lot!) and this rattle has become annoying, especially for a truck as tight as this one. On most other vehicles (like my wife's blazer) this would be no biggie, but when it's the *only* noise inside, it bugs.

On to happier thoughts. Went skiing up at Big Bear in SoCal in March with 3 buddies. Started snowing Saturday night, and never stopped. By Sunday morning had over 18" of snow on my Trooper, and we decided to cut the trip short (were going to ski Sunday morning as well) and head home. 2 main roads were closed, so had to take the backway, up and over the summit, in what was now a blizzard (for SoCal anyway). Happy to say that my stock Trooper with TOD engaged was the *only* SUV to make it off the mountain w/o having to stop for chains. Quite amusing to drive by and wave as all the Explorer/Expedition/ Suburban/Tahoe/4Runner owners chickened out and pulled over to put on chains in a driving snowstorm. Odd thing is, I was watching the TOD gauge regularly and only occasionally did the power shift to all 4 wheels. What a sure-footed truck!
  • I, also, have a rattle in the drivers side dash. As others have noted it only occurs for a relatively short time after start-up when it is very cold out. It will vibrate at around 2000 RPM. It sounds like something high in the dash up near the window defrost vents. Definitely sounds like it is something vibrating in the dash, as opposed to in the engine compartment. I thought it was just a quirk of my vehicle, but maybe not. I will have to check out the location of the fuel line, but somehow that doesn't sound like that's what it would be. Any other solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Is that with or without TOD engaged? I notice a slight jerking when the TOD and LSD kick in, but only under heavy acceleration and usually from a dead stop. Not something that is a problem kind of jerking, just a "i'm working" type.

-mike
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    Does anyone know for sure if there are any side steps available for the 2000 Trooper other than the ones offered by Isuzu? My local SUV/truck accessory store said they could not find any for the 2000. The only ones available were for only up to '97 models and according to them they won't fit the 2000. I went to the Overlander web site and they list the Smitty-bilt Sure Step model SMIN704 for $209 for the '92 to '00 models. I haven't talked to them about it because they will probably tell me they fit and I might be stuck with bars that won't work. Any experience out there with this? The dealer wants $329 for Isuzu bars and that's too high in my opinion. Thanks
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    I just received my black Isuzu side steps from St. Charles Isuzu yesterday. I've ordered other stuff from them for my 98 Trooper. For this order I again told them my Trooper is a '98. The installation instruction sheet says something about "97 Trooper" but nothing with "98". That made me nervous, but I'm guessing that the mounting location of the 3 screws for each side step is probably the same for the past several years since the sides of the truck (and probably the underneath mounting stuff) haven't changed in several years.

I hope to find out in the next couple days, when I attempt to put them on, whether the side steps are the proper fit.

By the way, St. Charles sells most Isuzu stuff for 15% off manufacturer list price (some items like oil filters are on sale occasionally for even more-- the last 3 I ordered were 30% off). The black ones were $279.40 including shipping. That's $60 off list (local dealers usually sell for list, sometimes even more).
    Check out http://www.ecb.com.au/ they may have some side steps for the Trooper. Also try http://www.4x4mountainsport.com They are in Iceland and have a lot of trooper stuff. The '92-'00 trucks are essentially the same (bodywise and framewise) from the A-pillar back. The only changes were made in the front fenders, hood and grille in '98 so the smitty built ones should fit w/o a problem.

-mike
    I notice a jerking. It is only when I stomp on it. I also notice a slightly harsher downshift lately, this is about 35-40 mph and then when I floor it. Not bad but as I am passing 15,000 miles I figure the truck is starting to break in.

The TOD does cause some jerking, but I attribute this to the wheels grabbing for traction. The other day it was cold and raining, I disengaged 4wd at a stop light. When I stepped on it, the back end started to go sideways. With TOD the truck goes straight with a little jerking as the 4wd kicks in to prevent slipping. With the amount of torque the vehicle has it isn't surprising that when 4 wheels grab at once the vehicle has a little kick to it!
    http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ictl/ictl_util.htm

The Trooper does better than average for "real world" injuries. Positive information, this goes along with the insurance institutes latest press release stating that heavier vehicles fair better in car to car crashes, so while the trooper results are marginal if you hit a tree dead on, these results seem to indicate that it is safer when involved with a multiple vehicle collision. I am connecting the dots a little, but I think I am making accurate assumptions.
  • Here's my thoughts...

The front dash rattle during cold starts seems to be coming from the odometer or directly behind it. I haven't made it back to the dealer as of yet to actually have it fixed.

The rear rattle on my 2000 Trooper Limited was coming from the rear doors. It sounded like it was coming from the bench and the cargo area. However, it was the latch assembly on the rear doors (both upper and lower). Open the rear doors, move the plastic latch back and forth and you may hear the noise that's been haunting you as it was me. This fixed the problem.

-Steve
  • On my last post, I neglected to state that I pointed out to the dealer where the rattle was coming from, and the dealer fixed the problem by adjusting both rear doors. It actually tightened up the rear doors nicely.

Mountain Trip Update:

Took the Trooper to upstate PA to the Endless Mountains (2820 altitude)on a hunting trip. The truck was literally un-stop-able. I had the truck stopped, in 1/2 tire deep, thick mud and it pulled out as if it were on paved road. I was going straight down a muddy mountain, rock covered path on a serious decline and with 4L engaged and the trans locked in 1st gear..... this truck road with such control, I didn't even need to ride the break...! I was putting Dodge's and Ford's to shame..! Liv'en Large !

Totally Incredible...!

~Steve

ps: The Super H headlights, with the PIA fogs did the trick. The fogs especially. Plenty of front light for those dark mountain roads.
    And with the TOD, you are less likely to hit those trees... The beauty of AWD... Wait wrong car company, that's my other car!

:)

-mike
    '00 Trooper LS
    '88 Subaru XT6
  • The dash noise sound like behind the dash, there is a fuel line running behind the firewall, that will cause this when its cold, the dealer stated this was the case with a few trooper they have fixed. The jerking, I have the 2 wheel drive (I know, less of a man) Trooper, I'm wondering if this is the limited slip doing its job. Only happens under full power at slow speeds. But would be the same on 4wd models as its preventing the tires from slipping, my guess anyway.
  • zman21zman21 Posts: 46
    any news on the 3rd row seats from australia
    tnx!
    You guy's will be the first to know.

-mike
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    Thanks for your input. I think I'll wait a little to make sure that they have one that will fit. I looked at the 00 Trooper frame and there are a couple of things attached to it that may or may not have been on the earlier models. I'm sure the frame itself is the same, but not sure that everything hanging from it is the same.
  • When I bought my '00 S a few months back I was looking at Westin and Smittybilt side steps (black) and was going to pay around $220 including shipping. As it turned out the Trooper I found already had the black tube steps and I'm glad it did. In addition to looking a bit cleaner than the aftermarket ones, the factory steps are aluminum and a bit lighter, I believe. Seems to me that the earlier post listing factory side steps to $260 is a good deal especially if it includes shipping. On the window sticker mine were listed as a $340 factory option.
  • I guess bluedevils listed the side steps he got from St.Charles Isuzu as $279.40 including shipping...still a good deal!