Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    What are the expedition good for? The name would imply offroading?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    They are great for australian highways. AKA rough roads at high speeds carrying loads.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
  • chaser1chaser1 Posts: 20
    Slick - I like! Thanks!
    That's pretty cool.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    If you guys ever make out to Moab (zuzoo.org), make sure to talk to Bruce Anderson. Great guy and quite a character.

He has a lot of other mods he has done to his Trooper on the website, here is a general link:

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/trooper/96trooper.htm
  • bstone3bstone3 Posts: 97
    This guy is my idol - what a creative individual - His roof rack was my favorite - thanks for the site listing!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,914
    Never seen plastic drill bits before (grab bars section). You'd think they'd just flop over in the drill ;-)

Steve, Host
    Well just finished up doing the fuel filter and an oil change on the trooper. Oil change wasn't bad once I got the oil filter wrench. The Fuel filter was cake too, except that even though I ran it 'dry' by pulling the fuel pump fuse, it had a ton of gas that poured out all over me and the garage! I was lucky I didn't spray it onto the exhaust. Then the stupid bolt that holds the filter in wouldn't thread back on smoothly. That's what I get for waiting to 60K to change it!

Other than that she's all good. Put in Castrol Synthetic 10-40 instead of the Mobil 1 5-30 that was previously ran. Hopefully this will help the oil consumption problem a little.

-mike
  • breakorbreakor Posts: 398
    did you remember to remove the gas cap? That will let more pressure off the tank. If you just had residual gas dripping from the filter welcome to the club.
    I did not in fact take the cap off! That could have been it for sure. :) Definitely wasn't risidual, it was pressurized.

-mike
  • wildbucwildbuc Posts: 88
    I'm getting ready to have my 99 Trooper transmission flushed and refilled. Is there a specific kind of Mobil 1 ATF to be used, or is there simply a generic form of Mobil 1 to be used in all auto transmissions? I contacted Mobil 1 about 2 weeks ago and they have not responded. What to you guys think?
    I'm planning on using Redline High-temp ATF in mine.

-mike
  • serranoserrano Posts: 107
    The Trooper requires a minimum of Dexron II fluid. The Mobil One is Dexron III and Mercon certified, so it's good to go.

Tom
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    Be sure to do your homework on choosing what oil is compatible. Brake Fluid Example: IIRC type 3 (most common) is compatible with type 4 and 5.1 but not type 5. This kind of thing could apply to any fluid so be sure to read all about it.
    Paison, is your oil consumption mostly just when towing? My 1995 Trooper would only consume oil noticeably when towing.
    Gear-oil is like brake-fluids in that regard as well. GL-5 does not superceed GL-4, Brake Fluid DOT 5 is fully synthetic and will eat up your rubber seals in the system. DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are compatible. I believe Dextron III is compatible with Dextron II.

-mike
  • #noname#noname Posts: 58
    Where is it locate - at 40K I need to change it - thanks - will also heed the open gas cap warning.
    Since day 1. With the mobil 1 5-30 it went down to ~1Q/2000-2500 miles. I'm hoping the castrol synthetic 10-40 bumps it up to 1Q/3000 or less.

-mike
  • chaser1chaser1 Posts: 20
    ...maybe I'm over-reacting, but I'm getting the impression that oil consumption can occur right off the dealer lot, or anywhere up to 60K or shortly thereafter.

Straighten me out if I have the wrong impression (please), but if my '02 with 3.5K miles may start using oil - I'm going to royally pissed (at myself for not doing my homework and Isuzu). Is this issue common to all 2nd gen Troopers, or only the later years, hit or miss, or what?

If I go syn oil right now, do I stand a fair chance of avoiding the issue, or at best, just minimizing it?

Thanks all!
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Posts: 640
    keep in mind, as has been pointed out in numerous posts here, that this is by NO means an Isuzu-only thing. Some current Toyotas, IIRC, are doing the same thing. Most manufacturers say a quart/3k miles is "within tolerances". Perhaps what should be noted more prominently is that almost nobody here has experienced any problems because of it. I seem to have it less than most, under a quart/3k miles, but I haven't checked recently after towing more than normal. I'm not concerned at all.