Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• serranoserrano Posts: 107
    Perhaps break-in can affect oil burn, but many here, including me, have followed the procedure to the letter and still the thing burns oil. I find it hard to believe that a sample as large, and as conscientious as this, would burn oil more than some other vehicles. The average Accord or Camry driver has no freakin clue about break-in, yet those cars run flawlessly for the vast majority of operators.

No, I chalk this one up to a design or manufacturing defect.

Tom
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I dunno if I'd consider a 3.5L engine in an Isuzu the same as a passenger car like the accord or camry. I bet those would burn out in a minute in the isuzu chassis!

I'm not sure why the burn, so far I've got close to 1000 miles on my Castrol 10-40 synthetic w/o losing any yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

-mike

PS: Most of those miles are towing 5300lbs @ 65-75mph! :)
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I have the Dueler A/T's...before the revo's...good ride and fairly quiet. I have had a very hard time getting them balanced. I got those because they were $70+ cheaper than the BFG's, I have spent that difference with repeated balancing. They are good now, however it was difficult getting the ride right. Offroad? The duelers are competent with a very good road ride. I understand the BFGs are excellent offroad with a worse road ride? There is a little trade-off between the two I believe.

I would check to see if you can get weight specifications per tire. the 75 series are LT and may be a lot heavier or less depending on brand. That is one detail I would check.
  • Time for tires for me, too.

Costco twice a year has good prices on Michelins, and the ones I put on my wife's Sienna have been flawless, smooth, quiet, grippy (add your positive adjective here, can't repeat it too often, they're that good).

Any reason to believe I'd be unhappy with a Michelin SUV tire?
    We have Michelin CrossTerrains on our MDX. I like them a lot. Very good road tire and they seem good in the snow.
  • People that don't know about their engine's breakin also probably don't change their own oil. A quick lube place is not likely to notice low oil, so many of these perfect never use a drop of oil cars might be using quite a lot of oil, just that their owners have no idea that it is happening.
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    check out post 520 & 521.....interesting, I thought Honda's were perfect;)
    KarenS "CR-V Owners: Problems & Solutions" Sep 2, 2003 9:07am
  • Haven't put these on the Trooper yet - don't need them but...did put Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts on my Cherokee and was VERY happy with them. MUCH improved wet handling over the stock Goodyear's (RT-S). One report on the Scorps I read said they weren't optimal for snow, but were rated very high in all other categories...

A thought...
  • Hi, it's me again (if anyone remembers). The ordeal goes on. our 00 Trooper S 4wd auto now dies on intersections. When shifter in in "D", but the foot is on the brake, the RPM's can fall and car dies. Does not happen on "P" or "N". Was at dealer's 2 times, once they kept it overnight, said cannot replicate, even though it died 2 times that morning on the way there! The dealer changed spark plugs and cleaned 'carbon deposits' somewhere to the tune of $360. Absolutely no effect (I wouldn't have agreed to useless service, because even I understand that it's unlikely that platinum spark plugs would go bad at 51K miles, but hubby did). Tried higher octane fuel and injector cleaner (still no effect). No indicators/lights of any kind. Dealer says no computer readouts either. Maintenance is up to date.
    It could be the intake manifold gasket. I had a very similar experience. 4 trips with them not finding anything. I even had a check engine light a couple of times and still nothing. It took until it got "really bad" for them to find it. Stalling more than once is "really bad" in my book.

I had my service guy take it on his lunch break, because running it in the garage didn't yield the desired effects. Sure enough after driving it more than 15 minutes it shutdown on him.

Good luck.
  • I presume intake manifold gasket would be under P/T warranty? The problem is that it's been doing it for a long time and still no CEL. I am afraid that P/T warranty will run out and THEN the CEL will come on ... How much can it cost (if it is indeed intake manifold gasket) and what do I need to tell them to make them look into it, as opposed to spark plugs and other BS? also, as I wrote before, we left it with them for a day and overnight, allegedly they drove it and it didn't do anything of a kind....
    here is a link to the beginning of the problem:
    viktoria_r Jun 11, 2003 1:00pm
    There is a TSB at least for 1999s on the intake manifold gasket.

My gasket issue would cause the cars idle to bounce a few times and then stall outright after a while. There was no issue while driving, only while stopped.

www.alldata.com - I believe this is it?
    SB00-01-S005 APR 00 Intake Manifold Gasket - MIL ON/DTC's Set
    I am currently running Scorpion ATs in 275-70-16. Unfortunately they don't come in 33"/ 285-75-16. I've had 45K+ miles on them and they have been great.

-mike
  • will you be getting a set of larger rims for the 285's or just put them on the Trooper's 16x7 rims?
    Not gonna be putting on new rims. If I were doing that I'd be going to 15" rims.

-mike
  • I went to turn on the TOD yesterday as it was raining hard, but it didn't come on. I got a check light for about 3 seconds then it went away. The symbol showing if the car is in 4 wd just kept blinking but never engaged. I stopped the car, turned off the engine, and pushed in the button but all it would do is blink with 2 wheel drive showing. I tried it while moving and from a stop, but it would not engage. I used the TOD about a month ago and it worked fine. The Trooper in question is a 2001 LS automatic with 45,000 miles. Any ideas what to check? The dealer is about a hour and a half away so will go there if I need to. Thanks
  • I put the new Bridgestone Dueler REVO's on my 2001 and I love them. They are quieter than the Dueler684's and seem to handle better also. They really grip well in the little bit of dirt driving I have done. Has good road manners and a nice look to them. I am very impressed with them. If you look at the reviews on Tirerack for the REVO's you will find many postive remarks.
    Sounds like the actuator for the front axle isn't working. I had this problem myself back in the spring after leaving it in TOD all winter it siezed the actuator. You could check the vacum lines down there, one might have popped off.

-mike
    Thanks for the input, keep the input coming!

I hear that the Bridgestones also have a 3 year replacement warranty for road hazzard w/o a mileage requirement. That might put me over the edge for those tires.

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    We had stock size (245-70-16) Michelin LTX M/S installed on our 98 Trooper @ 52k miles. We are past 91k, which for you non-math majors means the tires have almost 40k on them. Lots of treadwear left - all 4 tires had 10/32" as of 89,951 miles - and the Michelins seem to grip a bit better than the OEM Bridgestone Dueler 684. I love Sam's Club and Costco but would rather have a tire shop install and rotate my tires, so we had Discount Tire match the Sam's price to get the best of both worlds.

I expect these tires will provide another 40k miles of good life, which will make me a very happy camper. If only I could get our Trooper to stop burning oil...