Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• zman21zman21 Posts: 46
    hi! it's been a while since my last post here. i found troopers in the philippines at www.isuzuphil.com. what got my attention are the headlight wipers and dual a/c. see for yourself guys.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yep the wipers and better headlight lenses/reflectors are std. on non-us market troopers. :(

-mike
  • erinsquarederinsquared Posts: 178
    The amount of rock chip damage to my hood and glass have gone down since installing the protector, IMHO it is worth putting up with the slapping sound. What is amazing is that Isuzu designed the Trooper to run so quietly that any wind noise or a/c fan motor noise is clearly evident. I have thought about modifying the aerodynamics on the deflector to disturb the turbelence and possibly reduce the slapping sound. Will have to talk to my aerospace buddy...
  • conman2000conman2000 Posts: 158
    Thanks for the tips! I think I know the dealer you are talking about so I will avoid them. As for the CT dealer, I did talk to them before but they did not have any with MoonRoof. The Autobytel dealer did not return my calls yet so if they don't call back, I will wait a few months and try again. My wife likes the Montero so we might look into them as well. Will let you know!

Thanks,
    Con

P.S. Blue, that seems like a great price if it is a 4wd, just a little to far to drive back though(thanks for the offer to pick me up!) :)
  • radman6radman6 Posts: 81
    I also had all sorts of problems with the factory bug deflector. It was tapping on the fenders and making all kinds of snapping / tapping sounds that drove me crazy. One day when I was checking the paint rub behind the corner I accidently snapped about 6 inches of the corner off. It was truly a piece of junk and I was happy to be rid of it when I took it off.

I finally replaced it with a Lund Interceptor. Five minute install, nice looking unit, absolutely no problems with it. It stands off the hood a couple inches so you can even wash and wax behind it. It was $55.00 well spent. We have lots of sand and gravel on the roads here all winter long. We have road construction all Summer so the roads around here pretty much suck year round. The bug deflector saves the hood paint and helps protect the windshield. Everytime it deflects a stone I figure I save my $50.00 glass relacement deductible. I still end up replacing windshields on my vehicles about ever 1 1/2 to 2 years. Wish I would have put one on my pickup when it was new. Now the hoods all chipped up and I'm on windshield number 5.
  • kw9kw9 Posts: 13
    I'm looking at buying my first Isuzu, a 93 Trooper AS with 26,000 miles. The silage is true and accurate (kept at a summer house for vacation use only, heated garage when not used). My questions - how do 93s hold up? What can I expect in maintenance issues? Are Isuzu parts expensive? Are they reliable? Despite the low silage are there any concerns about buying a car so old with such little use (dried seals, stuck plugs etc..)? I've reviewed previous posts and have some feel about Isuzu's but there don't seem to be many posts from owners of alder models. Everyone seems happy with there ewer models which I'd expect. Thanks for any help!
    Depending on the price that would determine if it was a good deal. The engine should be fine so long as it was used on a regular basis, even if not for very long. The '92-'01 body styles are almost identical, except for a curvier nose on the '98-01 models, and a bigger engine. The 3.2L DOHC or SOHC in the '93 is a good engine (same basic design as the current 3.5l and the 3.2l SOHC that went out in '97)

-mike
    Price about 10K. Car wasn't used much if at all in the winter months. Strickly a summer car on an island. Left island only for service, which wasn't much. No signs of any rust from salt environment - kept garaged, (heated) when not in use.

Are third row seats available like I've seen in Asia?

Thanks
    3rd row seats are available from 3rd party vendors here in the states. Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com under the vendor section I believe it is "little 3rd seats" or something like that.

-mike

• duktrooperduktrooper Posts: 78
    sounds like a vintage vehicle!! could be lots of fun for a great price. You might want to check blue book value, even though mileage is very low.
    Saw your post (#802) about Troopers with headlight wipers being non -US market cars. The 93 I'm looking at to possibly buy has those wipers - does that mean it's been brought in from overseas?

Thanks
    Nope, Pre-'98 Troopers in the US had the wipers on the lights. I guess they weren't seen as a useful feature in the US after '97.

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    These may have been available pre-98 in the U.S., but I know they were not standard on all Troopers, since my 96 Trooper S did not have them.
  • chzbrgchzbrg Posts: 10
    HELP!!! I own a 00 Limited Trooper and have just started to notice a squeak squeak sound coming from the front around the left drivers side and transmisson shifter area. It only happens when you turn the car off, or sometimes over bumps. Cant imagine it being the shocks, other wise it wouldnt do it when turning the vehicle off
    Chzbrg,
    I had the same problem on my '97 Rodeo and '00 Trooper. Spray some silicone spray on the plastic piece the slides when you put the car in gear. 1x application will keep it squeek free for at least 120K miles.

-mike
  • I believe the 93 trooper was rated as the most reliable suv for that year followed by Landcruiser and 4runner. I have a 94 with 128K on the odo and I tow a traver trailer. The vehicle has been extremely reliable. I am in a market for another SUV for towing and hauling purposes, and unfortunately we are outgrowing our trooper, with our current needs, we are close to buying a Toyota Sequoia. We do intend to keep the trooper for our daily use. Good luck, I'm sure you will put another 100K miles on the vehicle without problem.
    Can you wait til next spring? The Next trooper will be V8, 3 rows of seats and is due out as MY03 on sale next spring.

-mike
    No official word, and I won't expect any for quite some time.

-mike
  • chzbrgchzbrg Posts: 10
    Is the engine in the 2000 Trooper built by Isuzu or General Motors???