Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• ostazostaz Posts: 80
    Could you please look up the location of the blower motor resistor (that controls the blower fan speed). Mine went bad (switch only works on the highest position). Tried under the glove box area with no luck.

Thanks
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    thanks. If anyone can miss it, it's me.
  • jusmojusmo Posts: 1
    Is there an easy way to determine if a Trooper is a model LS or S? Is there an indication or code printed somewhere?
    Thanks!
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    One easy way I can tell from the exterior, the S versions have the radio antenna on the Right front fender, LS has it in the rear windows. Another way is the S has Black side mirrors, the LS has colored. Once you get inside their are too many to list.
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    I am looking at my 99 manual, the resistor is shown on an exploded diagram...it appears to be mounted on the side of a short duct section between the blower motor assembly and the AC evaporator assembly. This duct section flares larger from the blower to the AC, looks like there are a few flex pleats in it, too, toward the larger end.

The manual describes a process with an ohm meter to test the resistor, not sure I can convey it with words, but I'll try.

Remove the connector. There are 5 terminals shown - 3 in the top row, and 2 on the bottom row with a empty space between. From left to right, top to bottom, they are numbered 3, 2, 1, 6, 4 (5 missing).

At fan speed switch position 1, test between terminals 1 and 2, should be 2.4 ohms.

At fan speed switch position 2, test between terminals 2 and 4, should be 0.90 ohms.

At fan speed switch position 3, test between terminals 2 and 6, should be 0.28 ohms.

At fan speed switch position 4 (high), test between terminals 2 and 3, should be no resistance.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
  • cwp2cwp2 Posts: 19
    Another quick way to tell is by the stock wheels. The S has 5 spoke wheels, while the LS has the mesh alloy. I've noticed that about 1/2 of the used "LS" Troopers on the market are actually "S". If you don't know what to look for, you could get taken.
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Posts: 640
    and will add that LS's are often portrayed as Ltd.'s with the same potential for being taken.

Jim
    Thanks for the info. I will try in the AM. If it is all possible, could you elaborate more on the location of the resistor? Is it near the center console, or between the blower motor and the fender?

I tried this weekend again (before you post) and just couldn't see it.

Thanks
  • beware that an LS Trooper that started life as a rental may have been custom optioned by the rental vehicle purchase contract. I shopped around after my 1995 was totalled, I found the "rental fleet LS" was just an S with an extra 12V outlet by the back door and a few other little things. Not the same as what the new car dealers sell to end users like us.
    I also found that the former rental Troopers had mis-matched tires, example one or two of the tires on the ground were a different type.. strange.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    If you are buying a used Trooper, I wouldn't worry too much about it from a price perspective. Trooper's aren't that hot of an item. You can probably run all the numbers at the S level and bargain from there.

As far as features? If you are set on an LS's features then you need to be sure you are getting what you want. I have an S with auto/TOD. I am not sure what options the LS had over the S, but I cannot imagine a lot...perhaps leather seats? The cloth are wearing well in my 1999.
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    If I am reading the diagram correctly, the duct section is inboard of the blower motor. If you are looking at the dash, from right to left there is the blower motor, the duct and resistor, the AC evaporator assembly, then the heater core assembly which is about in the middle of the dash.

If you want you can swing by and look at the manual, it is much easier to understand the diagrams than me verbalizing it.
  • chaser1chaser1 Posts: 20
    I've also wondered how or what determined which trim level. I don't have the LS decal on the C pillar, but do have deeply tinted/reflective windows, AC outlets everywhere, rear side window antenna, and upgraded wheels. Conversely, I don't have leather, moonroof or CD player. I'm fairly sure it's an "S", but think it may have some upgrades, but am not sure...

With some manufacturers, you can go the the service tech and give them your VIN and they'll print out the vehicle's "build sheet". Has anyone done this out of curiosity regarding the used Trooper they bought?
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    chaser1 - I just took a look at my 99' w/performance pkg. (same as LS). On the firewall next to the wiper motor is a I.D. plate with multiple codes for Engine type, Tranny type and so on. In the middle of the plate, it says "B.COLOR/TRIM" with codes next to them, mine is 752/113. Underneath that is a list of option codes too. Maybe others with the "S" model can take a look and see what the "TRIM" code it is? Or maybe you can call the parts dept. for an answer.

Another thing to look for, the "LS" models typically have manual seat height/angle adjusters on the driver side, both have armrests.
    Thanks a bunch, I will give it another shot from your description. If not it will be great if we can meet.

BTW, I may be getting a 2002 LS, 19,000 miles, looks, smells, and feels band new, for an incredible $13.5k. All depends on how much I can get for my 99.
  • flin4flin4 Posts: 3
    Hi Guys
    Remember me the one with the 265,000 KM on the 94 Trooper with the ticking engine.
    I was concerned about driving it 500 miles to the dealer, but it didn't seem to bother it, it just ticked it's way there. The noise got louder to the point where I had to do something it was driving me crazy.
    It turned out to be the Timing Belt Tensioner. Replaced it and all is well in Trooper land.
    Thought I would let you know, it sure sounded like lifters, but it seemed to be coming from deeper down in the engine. This is the 3.2 DOHC.

flin4
  • cwp2cwp2 Posts: 19
    Chaser1 - I just got a print out on my Trooper last Friday. The dealer was glad to do it. It is worth the time to get it for the information it provides: Model (S, LS or LTD) selling dealer, mfg. and in-service date, accessories, any dealer service, etc.

For the differences in the models, I held out for the LS. An LS should have 6 disc CD, power retractable/heated mirrors that match paint, 8 way power/heated seats, mesh wheels, a huge sunroof (option), etc.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    I can't believe it! My Trooper's computer does NOT realize that it can't provide more power just because I installed the 20+HP modification, which isn't really a modification anyway. How can something so simple actually work?? Some things in life you just gotta accept.
    I would like to add more lights to my truck (I drive on small winding, dark roads at night). It has to be bright, but not blinding for other drivers. Recommendations are appreciated
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I have 130W IPF 800 series on my bull bar. They are great offroading at night. It is like daylight in front of the truck on the trail. However they are not very good driving lights.

ARB or IPF makes/carries some regular wattage low/high beam aux lights that might be good for driving. Check out

www.arbusa.com
  • I'm not sure what you are saying here. You added a gizmo that fools the computer and you are getting better mileage? More power?