Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    IIRC, they are being made in Thailand now, and in '05 they will be replaced with a new version based on the Dmax running the direct injection 3.5L motor. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

-mike
  • dnestrdnestr Posts: 188
    I would hope it won't be similar to BMW X5 or new Volvo SUV. I mean their cross-country ability and the prices.
  • beer47beer47 Posts: 185
    with one of the Koreans when my Trooper is done. Speaking as one who does not offroad the Sorento might be a possibility. Maybe the Kia Amanti if I go for a car or a used Saab 9-5 would be nice. It would be nice to have something a little sporty after being practical and trucky for a few hundred thousand miles. All in all though My trooper has been TOUGH. 106K, going for 200K Good Lord willin'!
    By then Subaru should have their crossover out. :)

The Sorento is great Off-road seen 1 or 2 out there.

I'm going to go the Duramax 2500 route when the time comes.

-mike
  • Well my '00 LTD is definitely staying but my Gen III SHO may get traded for a new '04 Forester XT that I'll haul my samples around for business. The XT is impressively quick after a test drive today. My AWA wants me to stay with the auto instead of the stick in case she has to drive it. I was looking for another Troop but...
  • dnestrdnestr Posts: 188
    There is a lot of SUVs on a market now. But what can be compared to old kind Troop, to its simplicity and reliability.

How about new Montero's rear diff or its rear suspension? May be a lot of BMW X5's transmission electric devices will be so robust for a long time? Probably yeah, if you do a regular service.

I bought a '02 diesel Trooper w/MT w/non-TOD t-case a week ago instead my previous 3.5L. So will be keeping a fidelity of Isuzu brand.

Best regards.
  • That is currently available in Thailand I think. I saw a picture of it. Think Trooper with a shorter hood and a longer people compartment. Sort of a crossover vehicle between SUV and minivan, but with world class toghness and off road ability.
    If that description is accurate, then those of us Trooper owners with a bunch of children will be pleased. The folks that like to camp out from the off road trails will like it too.
    Those of us more interested in the "S"port part of SUV will probably not like it, but the "S" people are all suppoded to be driving the Axiom by then. (not good marketing when I, a 20 year Isuzu guy had to go look at the Isuzu.com to remember what the Axiom name was.)
    I will wait patiently. I have a 2001 Trooper with only 35K miles. It has another 200K+ to go before I change it out, unless there is something so much better that I would be willing to buy, but I doubt it. If they make the 2006 Trooper with the short hood and long people compartment(third row seat) with the diesel and maybe even a light hybrid boost, I would jump to it right away.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I really like the kia on paper. Affordable, small size, good offroad capabilities, etc. Although the edmunds forum here represents a significant amount of problems with its driveline.
  • Then Izusu could be made aware of the section for feedback to them. The Trooper discussion os one of the most productive. This should be taken advantage of by Isuzu as should every other advantage they can find.
    Here is an input for Isuzu to read:
    Please install on the www.Isuzu.com web page a section describing your future vehicles. Maybe even add a section for web page viewer input on what next vehicle they want to buy from Isuzu. The other car companies talk about making cars to order per each individual, how about designing to order by using continuous input from the Isuzu enthusiasts out here on the internet superhighway.
    Thank You
    BoxTrooper
  • If Isuzu had an interest, they would have put a rep on this forum to monitor feedback & take notes. In my short time looking at the Subaru lists on Edmunds, Subaru seems to take a pro-active role with changes being made to their products based on customer input.
    Paisan may be able to provide more info.
  • What gaskets?? "Upper and lower" doesn't compute.

$189! For a battery?!? For cryin' out loud, you can get a new one installed at Sam's Club/WalMart for about $70!

What's your accumulated mileage? The timing belt isn't due to be replaced 'till about 100K. Check your owner's manual (if you have one).

Tranny service - what are they going to do for $195?? Drain/Fill? Power flush? What the H*** are they talking about? From my experience, the drain/fill is a waste of time and money on that 4L30E transmission. Do yourself a favor and get it power flushed! (BUT, if you have 50k or more on the odo and the tranny has NEVER been flushed, think twice before doing so, and search this board for reasons why).

Fuel Injection Throttle? What do you mean by that? Exactly what is your dealer suggesting?

You already did WHAT belt?? Timing belt, or serpentine?

Sounds like your dealer spotted that lump on your hip . . . and wants to relieve you of it without delay!
  • Well my disgust w/ TOD finally got the best of me. Last Sunday, I handed over keys to the '01. Good news, I have a '95 LS w/5spd. ARB, winch, OME springs, aisins, rancho 9000s, racks, etc have made it over to the '95. I can't wait until April, to give a dose of Uwahrrie action. MArk
  • Hi, I have a 1997 Trooper with 58k. A few weeks ago I notice that Transmission pan had fluid on the bottom. I clean it all up and tighten the nuts. I notice that it seem to be really loose. It stop the leak for about a week. last week I found a puddle of fluid on the garage floor. I think I may have lost a quart of fluid. This is the second time that seals were replaced. first time was in 2000 @ 29k miles. It was fixed under the warranty. My question is. Why are is the seal failing already? What would cause that? Should I replace the small pan seal too? Also on the small pan in front of the main pan is there fuild in there too? Any help I would really appreciate. Thanks!! Jesse
    Yup Subaru is unique in having a rep over here. She has actually been able to push through 8 items on the '03 Forester that were directly taken from this forum. She also rewards grassroots promoters and helps solve warranty issues brought up on here. It has gained subaru at least 100 sales this year that we know of. If Isuzu could gain 100 sales by putting a rep on here, they would have about 25% increase in sales! :)

-mike
  • CreechImport started out as an Isuzu repair shop. Then since they were siting on their hands like the "Maytag repair man", they added Mitsubishi. Now with the decline of Isuzu sales, they are servicing Toyota.
    Anyway, I just wanted to say that they are offering something I have never seen in a repair shop. There is a fridge with drinks and some food plus coffee of course. The big new idea is a conference room with the big table to work at and a "Guest Office" complete with computer to work at. It is possible to make good use of your time while waiting on maintenance. There is also a regular waiting room with cushy sofas, magazines and a TV.
    CreechImport always has a second mechanic check the work of the mechanic that did the service for quality control, so no extra parts laying around the engine compartment when you get your ride back.
    http://www.creechimport.com/
    We are putting in Satelite TV, Playstation, Internet access at our garage. :) And we always have beer in the fridge! Hee hee

-mike
  • Hi. I'm new to the Trooper owner world with a 96 Acura SLX. 126000 miles one owner before me. Previous owner never changed timing belt but SLX was used as a soccer mom vehicle and has led an easy life. I've read the board and know that recommended TB change is 60k. and @ 125k you should also do water pump. I'm in S Indiana. Louisville is my closest Isuzu dealer and I don't have the best feeling about them. How hard is it to do TB and WP. Do you need to be an Isuzu expert or could a good general motors mechanic do the job? Anybody have any recommendations for independent shops in Louisville area? Any other tips ? Thanks
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    We replaced the OEM shocks in our 98 Trooper with Monroe Sensa-Tracs a few months ago, at appx 80k miles. Initially I couldn't tell if the ride was any 'better' or even any different. Truck now has 96k miles. In the last couple months it seems like the truck is riding rougher than ever, and I don't know why.

Our Trooper doesn't seem to absorb or handle bumps hardly at all. Anything fairly large (e.g. pothole) and it seems like the tire is almost absorbing most of the blow itself. Bumps do not seem well-controlled at all.

Is there any chance of returning our Trooper to a somewhat civilized ride? What else do I need to replace? Other than new shocks, our Trooper's suspension is 100% OEM.
  • Check your tire pressure, if you had it in for service there is a chance someone added some air and with very high air pressure in the tires or overrated load range E tires your Trooper will ride like a cement truck.
    I suggest another change of shocks. I am not sure what everyone else is using, but on my 1995 I had a set of OME shocks and the OME non-lift coil springs. That combination made for a soft ride on little bumps and good handling on big bumps. I enjoyed the tighter handling while towing too.
    http://www.arbusa.com/Old%20Man%20Emu_Suspension.htm
    Currently I have a stock 2001 Trooper that rides good so I will be watching for what everyone is using for shocks until time to get my own upgrade probably in a little over a year.
  • I assume you checked for oil leaks around the shocks? If you bought & had them installed by a shop, take the Troop in & have them checked. IIRC, the Sensa-Tracs have a lifetime warranty (labor extra).

I installed Rancho RS9000x's on my '00 & have them set on 5 (out of 9). My wife hasn't complained about harshness around town & the jounce / rebound control is really good - 5 is outstanding for highway use. I bought mine on sale from Samsoffroad at just over $200 for a set of 4 last summer. I run 35 / 38 psi - f/r on my 255/70 Revo AT's.

I almost went with the Bilsteins but figured that my wife would complain about the harshness w/ the 100 lb. nitrogen pre-load...experience from running a set on my sports sedan years ago - great shocks though.