Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• gpm5gpm5 Posts: 785
    I saw the 2001 new advertised in the Baltimore Sun at $19995--seems very low and is with rebate, Not sure what the catch is but seemed like they had more than one for sale. At 22k and 0% I would have bought mine new but there is a demand for them and short supply here in CT. I bought my '99 as a Program vehicle last summer and it has full warranty. The nice thing was I tested the vehicle out before the purchase--and with 16k miles on it I knew if there were any problems they should already be apparent. Plus my dealer has been excellent at servicing the vehicle--fixing a few minor items (the back door locking hinge, a rubber window strip that had some cut marks along the door) that I had requested under warranty. In that regard buying it local is important to me.
  • Alas, it has come to pass that my commute will stretch to 40 miles again, and will terminate daily with an undersized parking spot in a garage in Washington, DC.

Ergo, my Trooper is in need of a new home.

'99 Trooper, Performance + Luxury (Now called "LTD"), 1 owner, 34k miles, gray leather, 6 CD indash player, giant moonroof, the works. Never smoked in, excellent condition. I added Rancho 9000 shocks to steady the ride. There are not a lot of the Perf+Lux Troopers for sale, so a price is hard to set, and it is difficult to compare a 2001 "S" model with this loaded model. Sticker was over 34,000; I paid 28,000 two years ago. I would entertain any offers.

(By "entertain", I mean I can juggle and/or hum tunes.)

I also have a set of Hella Supertone horns, and a set of Valley Spring Works progressive rate springs, uninstalled. These I would sell together or separately. Make offer.

Direct your questions, comments or interest to ken_salen@hotmail.com .

Thanks.

Regretfully,
    Ken ("Pat_Pending")
    Northern Virginia
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Sorry to see you leaving the fold :( I'm sure someone on here will find it a good home though.

-mike
  • Just to give you an idea.....I bought a 2000 S in December and the dealer wouldn't even take my '94 Trooper for trade. They said too many miles. Thank God they wouldn't take it. I sold it the first week I listed it in the Pittsburgh auto trader for $6k. It was a '94 S model 4x4 automatic with 152,000+ miles on it. If i were you I would try to sell it outright before even entertaining the trade in deal!
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    I've been trying hard to convince my dad to buy a Trooper. Yours would be a great choice. I hope you are able to sell it for a fair price and to someone who truly appreciates what the Trooper is all about. The former will be easier to achieve than the latter.
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    That's silly. If the price of gas goes up, believe me the "gas guzzlers" will fall out of favor quickly, just like they did in the '70s...but it would have to go up a LOT before that happens, certainly over $2/gallon. I filled up yesterday for $1.349/gallon, so unless they put on a tax of a dollar per gallon or more, they won't accomplish anything.

This kind of thing is always dealt with most efficiently by the marketplace.
    there is already nearly $.80-.90 worth of tax on every gallon of gas already.

-mike
  • Thanks for the words of encouragement in reference to selling my '99 LTD.

It's funny: I have owned probably 25 vehicles in the past 20 years, and I have never had as strong positive feelings about a vehicle before this Trooper. I would never have entertained the idea of selling a vehicle to a friend or family member before, until now.

The Trooper is a very solid and solid-performing truck, and has consistently impressed me, in spite of its many quirks. (Like that entirely useless "multi-meter". Please!) It deserves an owner that appreciates it.

-Ken
  • conman2000conman2000 Posts: 158
    Sorry to hear this but good luck with your new car(hopefully better MPG too).

Cheers,
    Con
  • jahnoth1jahnoth1 Posts: 5
    I am considering a Trooper 2001 LS but the Trailblazer has caught me eye. It seems that GM has put together a vehicle with good horsepower and decent gas mileage (slightly better than the Trooper). It's also a bit bigger and can tow more.

Any opinions.
    It may be longer, yes, but interior volume the Trooper IIRC is still a bunch of feet larger. The engine is nice in the Trailblazer/envoy, but you will still have the closed in feel of the SUV. I've driven both the Envoy and own a Trooper. The Trooper has a much better outward view both forward and rear and side, and the window sills are lower as well as floor pan height, yet has a greater or equal ground clearance. The lower window sills give the appearance of a more open and airy cabin with larger picture windows. Also pricing is much higher on the Trailblazer than the Trooper's actual selling price which is one of the major items that put me in it, as well as the AWD system on the Trooper excels in all weather conditions and is pro-active rather than re-active. Good luck in your decision! Any other questions feel free to ask.

-mike
  • I just came from owning a GM truck. It sent me into doing lots of research for a dependable replacement, dependability and a 10/120K warranty landed me with the Isuzu Trooper. If you go with GM buy as much extra warranty as they will sell you.
    I looked at them as well(my dealer is a chevy and Isuzu Dealer. I found it to still be small(more Rodeo in size) but much bigger than before(seems to be the same size as the explorer now). The styling is great but I could not compare it to the Trooper in size. So I compared it to the Tahoe and the Tahoe can tow more and more HP but less MPG. When I factored in the 0% fin, the Trooper LS was cheaper than both Trailblazer and Tahoe(plus the models they had on the lot did not have a sunroof and still cost more). So here I am Trooper LS.

IMHO, when the 7 seater(longer) Trailblazer comes out, that is the one to compare. BTW, rumor has it that the Trooper replacement might be a Tahoe in Isuzu clothes..... Good Luck with your search!

Cheers,
    Con
  • jahnoth1jahnoth1 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the input.

Exactly how sweet is the moonroof on the Trooper.
    The moonroof IIRC is 5 square feet. The trailblazer has a sunroof option IIRC but is standard size(which is fine but just smaller than the trooper) If you don't need the size of the trooper, the trailblazer does have more HP.....Too many choices now..... :)

How about the new Axiom as a choice? More HP than the Trooper, new looks, and cheaper than the Trooper MSRP(normal size sunroof though).

If you don't mine me asking, what are you look for in a SUV? Maybe we can help you out here(and maybe sway you to an Isuzu while were at it) ;)

Good Luck,
    Con
    01 Trooper
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    I'm curious...since the Trooper has no centre differential, what exactly happens in TOD mode when you make a full lock turn + apply the throttle pedal (on dry surfaces)? Does it revert to just to RWD mode so that there is no binding? Obviously locking it into 4WD high + turning full lock would not be a smart thing to do on a dry or even wet road.

Any thoughts?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    It will revert to 0/100 at full lock, slow movement if there is no slippage. If it detects slippage, you'll get more power shifted to the front. The way the Isuzu TOD system works is not on or off, it varies the power anywhere from 0-50% I've had the pedal mashed in the sandpit where I go play with it, and full lock on the steering it was at 50/50 and varied the power down to 0/100 and back to 50/50 again. As if I were stuck going forward where it pulses the power front to rear.

-mike
    It's friggin HUGE. Largest stock moonroof of any SUV on the market. I think the closest one is the Monty, another great vehicle.

-mike
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    The reason I asked was also because I know the system transfers power to the front under acceleration. I guess this is only when you're mostly going straight. Obviously there would be some binding w/o the centre differential if there was power transfered to the front.

The Montero's moonroof is pretty large too. Almost as large as the Trooper's I think. However, for the largest retractable roof for a production SUV, that honour goes to the MB M-class' optional Skyview roof.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    But the MB one is a metal roof. Which for those of us in the non-sunbelt is absolutely useless for 9 months a year. A moonroof, is useable year round no matter what the weather. So I still contend that the Trooper has the largest (with the Monty closely in tow) Moonroof of ANY Suv produced for sale in the US. Sorry to ditch on the MB :)

I'm sure that an open diff would be nice on the trooper, but for the $ the TOD rocks.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I have experienced "slipping" with TOD turning in sand with the system completely engaged (50% front and 50% rear). You don't experience binding though, TOD uses a clutch, so if there is binding, it smooth's it out. It is hard to tell when the system engages most of the time, but you can see the lights on the dash light up. The TOD sometimes engages in hard cornering (as hard as you can corner in a trooper), and improves traction. I don't know if it has a center differential or not, I assumed that the TOD unit acted like a transfer case/center differential?

You would/should only experience binding in 4wd Lo. This locks the front and rear at 50% and multiplies the gearing to be 2.48 to 1 in automatics. The front differential is open, so the left and right wheels can spin at uneven rates, i.e. cornering. TOD is a pretty good AWD system, and very good off-road 4wd Hi.
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    In 4Lo the TOD transfer case is locked 50/50, and acts just like a standard part-time transfer case, with binding on tight turns etc.

In 4Hi I have never experienced any of the tight turn binding hop that I do in 4Lo. Whether that is because the TOD is at 0/100 at parking lot speeds, or because the clutch plates in the TOD allow slippage to occur, I don't know.
  • Ask me about the Trooper and ask my sister about her Trailblazer. She can tell you all about her vehicle being in the shop all the time and I will tell you about all the fun, miles and fourwheeling I do in mine. End of story.
    Already? Haven't they only been on the streets for like 2 or 3 months? That's rough.

-mike
  • gtroopgtroop Posts: 85
    That is the same fate the dependable Troopers will face when they redesign them. I bet the 10/120 warranty goes out the window as well.
    I think the 10/120k will be retained, of course Isuzu techs will be raking in the OT. Also maybe if they are built at SIA they won't break as often...

-mike
    I've hopped on it several times on dry roads from an intersection doing a tight turn in TOD on my '99 trooper. The front wheels engage as soon as slippage is encountered, preventing any tail spin. It's pretty amazing.

The TOD unit looks similar to the center diff on the toyota trucks and essentially replaces it.

The open center diff gives dry road capability but transfer of torque to the front or back when slippage occurs uses the ABS system on the sequoia, land cruiser, and the 4-runner.
    There was an immediate recall on these for a suspension/steering problem as I recall, and production was stopped until they got it straightened out.
    That is when I use my TOD most, whenever I nail the gas out of a stopsign or making a hard turn onto a main street. The fronts just engage, no binding. I'm going to test out the heavy throttle, with full turn on pavement and see if it binds or if it doesn't put power forward.

-mike
    I think IIRC there is no center diff but "clutches" that act very similar to a center diff. Since the VX has TOD on all the time, I have not heard anyone on that board say anything about binding.

One of the reasons I picked the Trooper over anything else was that it was the cheapest "off-road" SUV that had AWD(TOD) and Low Range(beach driving).

Cheers,
    Con
    01 Trooper LS