Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• Think ABS works by preventing the wheel from locking up - as the wheel begins to stop the sensor causes the breaking force to decrease - all this at a high cycle rate - why the pulsation when you slam on the breaks - I don't think tire size or even mixed tire sizes has anything to do with it - each wheel is independent - you can't skid if none of the four wheel locks up.

About Rodeo and Axiom production ending - now that is not good since many of the parts found in those models are also found in the Trooper - and of course all this means that more dealers will be dropping the Isuzu line, resale will drop even further - however I would expect parts and service to remain available for some years at least in the bigger markets. A 2001 Limited is a nice ride and nicely equipped. With 26K it is virtually new and the warranty transfer is good for 5 yr/60K. I know we would never sell our 01 LS TOD - leather was already installed by the dealer and we added the outside temp module and altimeter domahicky - I did relocate the outside air temp sensor to a lower location under the hood. $3800 doesn't sound bad at all.
  • ...then will Isuzu now only have the Ascender to sell? Correct me if I'm wrong but this pretty much means 2004 is the last year for Isuzu :-(

I wonder what will happen to our warranty...
  • Think ABS works by preventing the wheel from locking up - as the wheel begins to stop the sensor causes the breaking force to decrease - all this at a high cycle rate - why the pulsation when you slam on the breaks - I don't think tire size or even mixed tire sizes has anything to do with it - each wheel is independent - you can't skid if none of the four wheel locks up.

About Rodeo and Axiom production ending - now that is not good since many of the parts found in those models are also found in the Trooper - and of course all this means that more dealers will be dropping the Isuzu line, resale will drop even further - however I would expect parts and service to remain available for some years at least in the bigger markets. A 2001 Limited is a nice ride and nicely equipped. With 26K it is virtually new and the warranty transfer is good for 5 yr/60K. I know we would never sell our 01 LS TOD - leather was already installed by the dealer and we added the outside temp module and altimeter domahicky - I did relocate the outside air temp sensor to a lower location under the hood. $3800 doesn't sound bad at all.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Posts: 118
    I need to get a receiver hitch for my Trooper. I'm considering the Hidden Hitch class 3 which has been recommended quite a bit in the past. My main concern is that it is only rated to tow 3500 lbs in a weight-carrying (WC) config or 5000 with weight-distributing (WD). It looks like most other hitches are rated a 5000 lbs WC.

Is the Hidden Hitch really weaker than the competition, or do they just rate their products differently?

Paisan, in some of your past posts you've mentioned towing 5000 lbs with your Hidden Hitch. Did you use a WD adaptor with that much weight?

Thanks
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I have 265/70R16's and the ABS works fine. I have not noticed any problems with the larger tires other than having to get them balanced correctly and a tire pull that was corrected with a side to side rotation.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Hitch: I have towed up to about 6500-7000lbs with the hitch w/o WD. I generally tow 5000 w/o the WD. It would be nice to have but not a necessity.

ABS: It compares wheel speed from wheel to wheel, hence all tires need to be the same size. My ABS works better with 275-70-16 tires I have on there.

Out of Bizness: That sux, although they might just import them from thailand, they are still made there as well as the trooper replacement.

-mike
  • I wonder if Isuzu drops out of North America car dealerships before bringing over the replacement Trooper, will it try to bring the replacement Trooper here at all?
    Maybe since it sold "Duramax" to GM Isuzu will not be allowed to sell diesel SUVs in the USA. If that were true I would expect them to drop the idea of ever coming back to North America.
    Will we see the next version as the Chevy Trooper as they are known in South America?
  • end up in a lot of GM cars and GM supplied cars. I think the Honda minivan 3.5L is a GM pushrod engine and it is also available on the new Malibu which takes its body and chassis from Saab. GM is going away from making parts and toward buying everything so maybe someday people will proudly shine up their "Isuzu Inside" labels.
    Just to share my research with others on Class 3 receiver hitches for 92-02 Troopers:

The Hidden Hitch model 87544 has been recommended here quite a bit in the past. It is mostly invisible when installed except for the receiver. See Paisan's site at www.isuzu-suvs.com for actual photos. It is only rated for 3500 lbs without a WD adaptor, but Paisan's experince shows that it can handle more. It weighs about 33 lbs, most others are > 40 lbs. Best price is at jcwhitney.com, $100 + shipping. The 4-pin wiring adaptor offered there should plug into the Troopers factory connector and costs an additional $28.

Most other class 3 hitches for the trooper are rated for 5000 lbs without a WD adaptor vs 3500 for the Hidden Hitch. If you intend to tow heavy stuff, you might want to take that into account. I don't know if this is a true difference in the capacity of the hitches or just a difference in the rating systems.

The most interesting alternative to the Hidden Hitch IMHO is the Reese 33043. This one weighs 42 lbs and is rated for 5000 lbs WC. It looks a little beefier than the Hidden Hitch, but doesn't use a straight square tube all the way across the back like most others. Best price I could find is about $142 + ship at 1800.hitchit.com. Here is a link to a good photo and another vendor: http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-2126&- bool=AND&category=r_cl4_t&maxhits=1&keywords=rp0455&a- mp;GO=GO%21

The Trooper has a factory installed trailer wiring connector on the driver-side rear corner. You will need an adpator to convert this to whatever type of trailer wiring you need. Wiring adaptors are not included with most hitches. Rumor has it that many of the wiring adaptors available are just rebadged versions of the Hoppy unit: http://www.trailerwiring.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?part=43255. You want something that looks like that in order to plug into the factory connector. Manufacturer's catalogs may refer to the part as a "T-connector" even though that it not literally true for this wiring adaptor. These generally cost $20-$40 depending on where you buy them. Can be found on ebay also.

Hope this info helps someone else. :)
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    It might be better if Isuzu closes shop in the US...Not that GM dealerships are great...I am sure some are. However if they outsource, we will get a bigger selections of dealerships to bring our trucks.

My Warranty is up in August, so at this point I am just going to go to a local place anyway.
  • dnestrdnestr Posts: 188
    More than half of world autoloaders (if I'm translating right, this is a cargo vehicle which is used usually in warehouses and sea ports) have gotten them on their diesel engines.
    Med-duty Box-trucks are either Mitsubishi or Isuzu/Holden/GMC

-mike
  • ever since they were introduced in the summer of 1984. Now I have been driving Troopers longer than they have been selling them in the USA, and still a decade to go before I make my goal of 30 years on 3 Troopers.
  • http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6838
    GM's "Colorado" replacement for the S10 pickup is an Isuzu and the Hummer H3 will probably be based on that. http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado/
  • dnestrdnestr Posts: 188
    Boxtrooper, your case is a thing admirable in its kind! My case is much worse , I have been driving 1 year on 2 Troopers.
  • Can you give us more info on that? Is the Colorado indeed the nice and widely popular D-MAX???

EDIT: I just checked the Colorado board and it does appear so... There go hopes for Isuzu to bring it down here under their own nameplate...
    The Colorado appears to be classic GM "badge engineering". Take the D-MAX, make it uglier, ... viola, we have the Coloroado. I wonder what the underlying differences are. The engine offerings do appear to be different at least.
    That's way old news on the Dmax/colorado

-mike
    Well lets see...

1) Appears the coil pack I got from St. Charles was bad :( So they will be replacing my coilpack under my extended warranty

2) $200 for Spark Plugs and replacement of them.

3) Cats will be replaced under extended warranty

4) Coolant temp sensor will be replaced under extended warranty

On a positive note, when I mentioned the T-case/Tranny problem, they didn't look at me like I was crazy. Apparently they have another Trooper in there with a bad TOD Transfer case, so they are probably gonna order me up a T-case :) So that will leave the oil consumption problems which I guess will be a long-term testing type thing since there are no apparent leaks etc.

-mike