Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• HELP!! My 2000 Trooper whines annoyingly whenever I lift partially off the excellerator pedal on the highway at almost any speed. It goes away when I completely lift off the excellerator or press on the excellerator pedal to speed up. Has anyone had similar problems? What can I do about it?
  • ostazostaz Posts: 80
    I own a 99 Trooper, very happy with it, but was looking to purchase a 2000+ Trooper with lower millage and balance of warranty.

Last week, my company agreed to lease a company car for me, and the first thing that came to mind was a Trooper. Since I will be working with clients, I would like to find a Limited, but so far no luck. Does anyone have stats on how many Limited Trooper as a percentage of production were made? or experience with searching for a Limited?
  • dnestrdnestr Posts: 188
    The company, which supplies in customer's ordering the US used vehicles to our market, had been looking for my '99 Trooper/Limited for a quite long time. They offered me Acura SLX a few times. I knew they were a pair of twins, but "Trooper" sounded much better for me. So it was complicated a bit and took them a month to get the Trooper, if I remember right. Sure, in your case a degree of possibility to find what you want is higher than I had. Good luck. I nearly forgot to tell you it was in fall 2002. Perhaps, the things have changed since.

btw, Isuzu could make better those "wooden" interior panels . It is not itself.

Makaye, the Trooper looks like a carriage and no pair :)
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Our 98 Trooper developed this problem about 10,000 miles ago. I lived with it for a while and finally sprayed some WD-40 on some of the cabling behind the accelerator pedal, down in the driver's footwell. That did the trick. No more squeaking.

Advice: do this when you don't need to drive the truck for at least a few hours, and leave the windows down. I made the mistake of spraying WD-40 while at a destination 2 hours from home, and it was fairly nauseating to drive 2 hours back home with a strong scent of WD-40 in the cabin.
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    Need more data, where is the whine coming from? inside the cabin, engine bay, exhaust and so on. Is it only on the highway or does it do it under acceleration from signals?
  • The noise seems to be coming from under the car, in the area of the rear asle or the differential? (I am illiterate when it comes to auto mechanic things.) And I only hear it when I ease of the accellerator a little, but the accelerator is still partially depressed. It disappears when accelerating or when coasting with the foot of the accelerator. I hope this helps you to help me!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!
    Hmm...Weird situation, from what you've described, it almost sounds like a back pressure issue with the exhaust system. Possibly something inside the catalytic converter or muffler is broken? It doesn't sound like it's doing it consistently under a (torque) load though, so you could possibly eliminate the U-joints and differential. I don't know, thier are alot of knowledgeable people on here (weekdays) that will get you through it...hang tight, someone will get you going in the right direction. You might want to post the mileage also.
  • makayemakaye Posts: 81
    Sounds like the classic symptoms of a worn/bad pinion gear bearing or worn ring & pinion gears in the rear differential. A whine heard while using just enough throttle to keep some engine RPM, but not quite enough to hold speed or accelerate usually is pinion gear bearing wear or excessive ring and pinion gear clearance due to worn gears.
    Try here:
    http://www.differentials.com/diagnose.html
    And here:
    http://www.ring-pinion.com/tech/techg0198.html
    Here is a good blow-up of a rear diffy (pinion bearing is #25).
    http://www.web-masters.com/gms/rear_axle.html
    It can also be bad wheel bearings, especially if heard around corners vs. straight line though i'd wager the former.
  • Thank you so much for your help. It does sound like a pinion bearing problem. I will take it by a mechanic shop and have them check it out!
    Wow, someone always has the answer here! Ya learn something new every day, those links are keepers. Still curious about the mileage, and the service history though?
  • there are 68K miles. I just bought the truck and do not know for sure about service history. I was a least vehicle and I believe was serviced appropriately.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    Well, I just had it cleaned for $90 or so dollars. Mileage is back up to 11-12 MPG around town. It was about 8.5 MPG seemingly getting worse by the day. The EGR was cleaned about 1/4 way into the tank so I hoping to do a little better...if I can get up to 13-14 I will be pleased.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    sorry - from drdmoore's original post, I assumed - incorrectly, as it turns out - his whining noise was the squeaky accelerator pedal itself. Glad to see my misdiagnosis was corrected by some other folks.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Posts: 118
    sbcooke, do you know what method was used to clean your EGR? I cleaned mine a couple weeks ago by just removing the valve and hosing out the intake passage with carb cleaner as I've seen recommended. I now get intermittent rough idle and CEL. Will probably repeat the procedure this weekend and see if that helps. I'm currently wishing I hadn't touched it, sice my Trooper ran fine before.
    No idea...the $90 kind.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    sbcooke, since your mileage is so much improved, it would be interesting to see what affect the cleaning has on your oil consumption. Would you let us know if that improves as well>??? Stick that resistor in place of the air intake sensor and gain another mpg or so, it does work.
    I don't really burn any oil. Around town I don't burn much not enough to need to add between oil changes. If I go on long road trips a couple of 4+ hour days then I usually need to add maybe 1/2 quart.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    $450 Complete Tranny flush and cleaning, dropping pan, etc. :(
    $100 Throttle Body Cleaning

Apperently the tranny fluid looked like motor oil. And that's in 20K miles as I had it flushed at 50K, and now turned 70K miles. So after that we'll see if anything improves, if not then they'll do the tranny on it....

-mike
    Bad/low fluid could cause slippage. Hopefully this will solve your issues.

Interesting that other shops didn't notice when checking levels...since when you get an oil change at a dealer they should also check the transmission fluid level...brown fluid should get noticed...then again not every shop performs what they list on their invoices.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Doesn't get checked on troopers, as it's a sealed case. It's actually due for a drain-fill as it has hit 20K miles since the last one and it's on the "severe" intervals.

-mike