Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 785
    There are several problems with Kevlar as a tire material.

1) It is expensive. Most people won't pay for the added upfront cost, preferring to have a low upfront cost and absorb the reduced fuel economy. This is the situation today as there are many tires available with reduced rolling resistance and this doesn't seem to have much effect in the marketplace. People seem to put much more emphasis on price than on performance.

2) For passenger cars, rolling resistance is more a function of tread compound than the overall weight of the tire. Put another way, in a bicycle, the ply fabric is a much larger pecentage of the overall weight of the tire than in a passenger car tire. Besides, the weight of a tire is only a part of the rolling resistance and in the big scheme of things, tread compound is much more of a factor.

3) Kevlar has a peculiar property. It works well when in tension, but is weak when put in compression. While this is a minor problem with a bicycle tire, it can not be tolerated in an automobile or truck tire.

Hope this helps.
  • TR's rating scale is intended to be an indicator of user satisfaction, with "10" being the highest level. However, due to the highly subjective nature of user's ratings, a difference of 0.3 in a given factor is negligible.

More important than raw numerical ratings are the combined number of user miles for a given tire. In other words, an 8.0 factor rating for a tire with two million miles worth of user experience is likely more reliable than a factor rating of 9.0 for a tire with only 200K combined user miles.

Everything is relative. For any given user rating, we don't know the user's point of reference - what tire is the rated tire being compared to? A mediocre tire may be rated very highly simply because it performed better than a truly sorry tire.

There are a lot of pitfalls in using those ratings. For example, it's probably pointless to compare raw ratings between tires in different categories such as HT and AT tires. Their different construction, handling and performance characteristics make a head to head comparison difficult at best.

The Revo may well be the quietest of all AT tires, but still noisier than many HT tires. The more open, blocky tread pattern on the Revo's leads me to think they would be noisier on road than the G051's. But, since I have no personal experience with EITHER tire, I could be dead wrong.
  • Well, factors / conditions related to tire noise are still being studied & tested. Generalizations related to more open / closed tread patterns cannot be made - some open & more aggresive tread patterns can exhibit less noise than what could be described on the surface as a highway tread pattern...not limited to air evacuation or tread block & groove design / compression at the point of surface contact.
  • I just bought a 94 Trooper with 90,000 miles. Evrything looks good and I have had it for 2 weeks now. I just want to know what should I have a mechanic look at and what items might need attention soon.

Also if anyone knows anything about possible problems to look out for I would appreciate it.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I have retained my stock size spare tire. Never bought the 5 tire dealio. No different than having a donut tire on your car. So far in 80K miles I've only needed to put it on 1x and it didn't bother me that much for the 20 miles to the next gas station.

-mike
  • Correction -

Upsizing from 245 to 255/70's =
    +0.6 inches in diameter
    +0.39 inches in cross section width

Upsizing from 245 to 265/70's =
    +1.1 inches in diameter
    +0.78 inches in cross section width
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I noticed a huge difference with 265/70s over sand. The extra 3/4" width and 5/8" of ground clearance made the truck handle much better on the beaches in Nantucket.

Not that I couldn't go all the same places with the stock tires, but it was much easier to drive out of/over tracks and the truck no longer kissed the sand over bumps. So the slight increase in both directions improved the offroad ride a lot. That is the main reason why I went with larger tires and happy I did so.
  • My Revos were extremely quiet when new, quieter than the old worn out set of Dueler H/L they replaced. I am not sure if the Revo would have been quieter than the HL if the HL were new, I'd suspect not. Now after 45K miles and missing tire rotation for >10K miles they are loud. I 2500 miles ago recently had them rotated, the noise gradually got less, but now they seem loud (not really very noisy, but noticeably much louder than new) again.
    I am starting to watch for deals on tires. I think I might try the G051's this time, or maybe another set of Revos... The 45K old Revo tread is definately good enough for another winter. So I would feel like I am waisting if I changed them right now.
    I am also wanting to upgrade the suspension to the OME HD rear springs, Sway Away front torsion bars and OME HD shocks all the way around. HD is one step up from the softest. While at it I will put on the poly sway bar bushings. But money is tighter than it used to be, so I keep puting it off.
    So, for sand beaches I should get a floatation tire like the 275/70 or might the 265/75 squat down more at low pressure for sand? Would the G051 tread be as good as the Revo tread in sand?
  • As I've said before, I have no personal experience with any of those tires. But based solely on tread design, those G051's look like real street tires, and nothing more. I'm interested in them because I do ZERO off-roading in my 2WD '01 LS, and I want to make the highway drive as quiet, comfortable and controlled as possible. AND, they seem to be lower-priced than the comparable B'stone HP's (I AM a cheapskate at heart!).

I've read some reviews of the Revo's that indicate they are real rock slingers. Again, look at the tread design - they got some mighty big tread openings. Even though I like their looks, specs and reviews, if they beat the beJesus out of the lower body panels, I'm not sure they're for me.
  • I'm not sure that agressive tread design necessarily equates to loud tires. I believe it's possible to design treads that provide a sort of harmonic noise cancellation. I can tell you, regardless of the look of the Revo tread, they are exceedingly quiet. My last set got louder with wear, as all tires do. At least every tire I've ever had got louder with wear. I confess to not being very diligent about rotating my tires. If I rotate every 10,000 miles, it's a miracle. I promise to do better with my new tires. At 40,000 miles, my last set of Revos were noticeable, but not objectionable. New - they are flat silent.

As far as rock throwing, I live in northern Nevada and I regularly drive on rocky dirt roads, often at pretty high speeds. I have never noticed them throwing rocks into the wheel wells. My lower body panels are just fine. I don't think this is something to worry about.
  • I just filled up my Revos to 44 psi. The recent rotate and balance event left them at 33 psi. The ride is much better now and the tire noise seems less.
    I think even though I complain about the loudness of my Revos, they are quieter than most AT tires. I am spoiled from their very quiet ride when new.
  • I too purchased Revos, and they are fantastic. They are at least as quiet as the stock tire, and their grip in the rain is phenomenal compared to the stockers. You can't break them free, even in tight corners. The original tires were like slicks by comparison.

The only downside I can see is that they must have substantial rolling resistance or mass. They noticeably sapped acceleration and gas mileage. I still think they are worth the trade-off.

Tom
  • What tire pressure do you run? I did not notice a MPG or accelleration hit when going to the Revos, but then, I did not drive the stock tires long, I was replacing my 1995 Trooper which was rear eneded hard enough to launch the $6000 airbags and therefore totalled, anyway, what I did was swap the Revos from my 1995 to my 2001 after owning the 2001 just a week. All five tires on the rims will fit in the back with the rear seat up.
  • I run about 35 psi.

Tom
  • nixonnixon Posts: 11
    I have power window that is refusing to roll completely up on my 1995 trooper
    The last time this happened to the driver's window was frozen over when i attempted to roll it down costing me $700 to repair to replace the entire window.
    Now its the rear right window, and i can't spend that much again. Any suggestions.
    terry
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    Well 2 weeks after they added a slip agent to my transfer case and the TOD system isn't binding anymore?

Not sure how long I should continue to investigate the issue? I think the onus is on the dealer to call me and close the ticket, so I am going to keep it open until they do.

I am trying to figure out if there is any good testing I can do other than doing tight circles in a parking lot when cold? I have driven uphill on slick pavement and have felt the fronts engaging, so it seems normal.
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    Nitto Terra Grapplers

Discount Tire has 'em. They were great for me, at least until my Trooper got totaled in the wreck.
  • Here's a picture of the NITTO's:
    http://www.truckxpressions.com/truckaccessories/tires/nitto.htm
    To me they look a lot like the Michelin LTX M/S. Are they quiet? They come in D and E load range, I did not see a lighter rated tire. Smallest was LT265/75R16
    Did your tire related ability to stop or handling have anything to do with your wreck?
  • Hello? Where is everyone?
  • We almost made a record of one week without a post.