Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• prior to leaving for the haul there, and back. I did and oil change with the mobil1 5w-30 oil a double guard fram oil filter and an oil additive too.
  • CD2 can be found at WalMart, NAPA, or Pep Boys. It's $2.97 at WalMart. I tried cleaning the EGR and PVC with no change at all.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    I use Valvoline products because my dad always did. So the annual injector cleaner is the Valvoline Synpower Injector Cleaner once a year version (they also have an every 3000 miles version). I worry about additives side effects, so I use the fuel injector cleaner just a tank or two of gasoline ahead of the regular oil change, just in case the additive made its way to the oil.
    I also use Valvoline Synpower oil, the 5 qt. bottle of 10W30 at Walmart and an extra qt. of 5W30 (Walmart seems to always have only the 10W30 in the 5qt. and the 5W30 in the 1qt.). I top off the oil beyond the 5qt. to the full line on the dip stick and put the rest of the 1qt. bottle (or an extra 1qt.) in one of the back door pockets. I use Purolator Pure one oil filters. PL24459 larger size if I can find it, or PL14458 regular size oil filter.
    I do not think the synthetic oil is needed if not towing or otherwise driving the engine really hard really often. I used dyno oil for 201K on my 1984 Trooper and for 80K on my 1995 until I started towing. My 2001 Trooper has always had synthetic, Mobile1 until I bought it at 30K then Valvoline SynPower. I do think the synthetic will make the engine last longer, but more importantly, I think if the oil level went low for some reason, that the synthetic oil would prevent damage a little longer because of its higher temperature stability.
    I have not changed or looked at the EGR or PCV valves, but my mechanic (http://www.creechimport.com/) might be checking them when they do regular maintenance. Creech is a great mechanic and would know what to look for.
    Just a thought on transmission efficiency: Can the Trooper auto tranny be adjusted to shift more "crisply" and stay in "torque converter lockup mode" more of the time thereby making it behave more like the manual transmission? This might trade having to feel when it shifts for using less fuel. Did your automatic transmission ever shift to a lower gear going over the mountains? I was able to keep 5th gear all the way because of being up near 70 MPH.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    This isn't too BIG a surprise for the Trooper. It isn't areodynamic and the higher you speed abover 65mph the larger the hit on mpg's. Since you are driving a 2001 model, it is a little concerning though. My 99' doesn't get the MPG that my 2001 does. It lags by about 3 MPG, but the 2001 is NOT a 4X4. Still, I get 18 - 19 mpg on the highway at about 70mph. It falls off quickly when I push it up to 75-80mph.

The low charge on the A/C will cause a problem but so will an overcharge on the Freon. I made that mistake on my 99' and the pressure switch kept cutting the compressor off if the outside temperature was below about 88 F. As long as it was HOT outside it performed well, but not otherwise. The troubling thing is, you have the 01' Trooper and it has an electrical cooling fan that should improve the cooling efficiency of your A/C. My 01' will FREEZE you out after you've had it running 10-15 minutes. You might want to check that your compressor isn't switching on and off constantly now that you've re-charged your freon.

I vented some freon pressure off my 99' and corrected the problem and it cools much better than it was before. Not up to the standard of my 01' but much better than before.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Posts: 235
    Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention that the A/C recirculate button was depressed while experiencing the lack of cooling - otherwise check / listen for continuous compressing cycling as stated previously.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I got the OMEs several years ago...they are great. Huge improvement on the ride on and offroad.
  • riley7riley7 Posts: 1
    I test drove a 2002 Trooper, and I'm thinking of buying it. It actually handles very well on back highways and even on twisty curves. I was surprised given what I'd heard. However, it tends to wander in its lane at freeway speeds and requires constant steering adjustments. It's not too bad at 55, a little wearying at 60, and at 65 and above, it's very tiring and prevents me from relaxing. I could probably adjust and get used to it, but it's not fun. Is this common to Troopers, or is it a problem that has a solution, or is it unique to the Trooper I'm considering? The vehicle has 54,000 miles, and new Big Foot A/Ts. I don't know about the shocks. Everything seems stock. Thanks for any help.
    This sounds like an alignment problem or a tire problem. I have had issues with a Trooper holding a straight line, but it was corrected by front alignment. Ask the present owner to fix it prior to buying. The new tires could be a problem, there might be a manufacturing defect on one of them.
    I had a wondering 1984 Trooper. Even after repeated alignments the problem persisted. The problem was not always there. It turned out that the tires with 90K+ on them were weakening in the sidewalls, this caused the tires themselves to wonder and take my Trooper with them. A replacement set of tires and all was well.
    A note about used cars and Troopers, when I was looking to replace my totalled 1995 Trooper (rear ended by large Volvo, Volvo front end gone and the roof bent as if a tree had fallen on it, Trooper drove away, but airbags replacement would have been >$6000). Many of the used Troopers were fitted with assorted tires of the lowest quality imaginable, so, if your used Trooper has old or missmatched tires, have them looked at before spending a bunch on an alignment, maybe you can get a free alignment check.
  • Trooper's are pretty tall relative to their track width. They all wander to some degree, moreso when there's a crosswind. That said, have a reputable shop check the alignment (I've had mixed success getting my own Trooper aligned). You can make a significant improvement by replacing the rubber sway bar bushings, front and rear, with poly-eurathane bushings. They're widely available, and doing them is a piece of cake. For me they made a noticeable difference in sway, nosedive and wandering. I haven't replaced shocks yet (my 2001 is at 55K), but many here say that upgraded shocks help - KYB MonoMax, Rancho 9000 and OME seem to be popular. A slightly wider tire might also help. I went from 245/70's to 255/70's and noticed a bit of improvement. 265's might have been better.
    A pull from time to time is quite common. Multiple alignments usually don't work. The only success I have had is with left to right tire rotation on fronts. Any tire pull or slight variation with a vehicle as heavy as the trooper will cause a pull. I found ignoring it was the best thing to do...it went away once the tires settle with new rotation.
    Well after no success at multiple shops I did some work myself. I found this article.

www.lssolutions.demon.co.uk/Car/4wd.htm

So I removed the plate on the front axle and checked out the vacuum hoses. I was not getting vacuum through both sides. I figured out that if I reversed the vacuum I could get 4wd running. Actually, by reversing the vacuum I got 4wd Hi...full time, whether there was slippage or not, TOD button pressed or not.

I ordered replacement solenoids from St. Charles with 10% internet discount - $145. I should be putting them in next week. I hope this fixes the issue with my system. If not, at least it will make it so I can engage 4wd, if the transfer case needs work, well that is the next step.
  • That is good advice on the Oil, I saved your note and i'll try to follow it for the oil changes and using a larger filter could definetley not hurt either. I don't know if the auto tranny adjustment question was directed towards me but I don't know the answer. When I was going through the mountains with cruise control set at 75 I found it shifting down to 4th quite often. For fear of worse fuel use I quickly quite using that in the mountains, only on perhaps 3 or 4 occassions at 75 mph and NO cruise control did the engine have to shift down to 4th otherwise. What do you think? I still worry though that 14.5 mph on the highway is too low.
  • Perhaps next time I will try my trip at 70 mph then and hope for the best. But 4 mph lower is a big drop from what others report.

I haven't actually tried yet to listen and see if my compressor is cutting in and out, I'll listen and get back to you. I do notice however that at higher speeds the air blows cooler and the hotter the days the air blows warmer. It is intermittent though. The cool air will blow out for 1 minute or maybe even 10, then you get a jump of warm air. It's very inconsistent. You mention an electrical cooling fan, should/how do I check that. And with the compressor switching on and off, if that is the case with mine, what do I need to do? Because it would definetely explain the inconsistency of the warm and cold air. My 01' does not freeze me out. Let me know how you vented some of the freon pressure and i'll try that on mine.
    I drive only slighltly above the posted limit. I don't want a speeding ticket. If I am being passed a lot I will speed up to just below the passer's speed, until they are gone then return to less than 10% above the posted limit.
    MPH indicated with my 265/70 is 659/684 of what it was with 245/70, so when my speedo says 70mph the police radar says 70*684/659 = 72.65 MPH, so I drive with the speedo no more than 72 mph which means I am going 74.73mph when I an cruising long disatances.
    Maybe some people are posting really bad highway MPG because they drive 80mph+.
    If I was getting 14.5 mpg on the highway and less around town, I'd be trying to correct the problem or changing cars. Lots of low prices on used cars (including troopers) out there these days. I get 16.7mpg +/- 0.3mpg around town and 19.3 +/- .7 on the highway and my wife thinks I should get a small econobox car instead, I pointed out that her minivan gets no better around town and only few mpg on the highway and she lets me be OK with the MPG I am getting on my Trooper, but then she wants a little econobox car. What about the kids and being safer by surviving in car vs car collisions... Trooper has a good record of protecting my family and she likes her van's practicality, so we keep driving these 17/19mpg and 18/23mpg vehicles instead of spending big bucks for a silly whimpy hybrid. I am going to get a diesel Trooper when they become available in a few years. Diesel Troopers in the UK are called "Duty" and they get 31mpg on imperial gallons of diesel, that would be around 28mpg in USA gallons. Is everyone ready for the environmental activists to push driving a diesel to reduce CO2 pollution by 30%? This will happen after 2006 when low sulfur diesel is standard in the USA, diesels will be considered cleaner than gas engines! If Isuzu does not use its diesel experience and know how to compete in the USA after 2006, then I will believe that Isuzu is finished in the Trooper market. I think the SUV fad is passing and that those of us who like their Troopers for their large capable durable functionality will continue to drive Troopers while most other folks will go for a old fashioned regular low riding station wagon that they are now calling "CrossOver". Subaru is positioned great right now as awd station wagons called crossovers will be the top seller. Subaru has a diesel version of its boxer engine in development. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=105308
    Coastie007, your description of the air coming out COLD and then WARM in cycles makes me think your compressor is cycling on and off. That's a classic indication of it. The pressure switch is turning the compressor on and off due to an improper charge of freon gas.

BEFORE you vent any freon, start the engine, run the A/C on Max in the heat of the day, and listen to the compressor. Is it cycling on and off every few minutes??

To vent it some, you'll need a freon manifold gauge and hose kit. Monitor the pressure at the suction connection going to the compressor. The fitting is up near the firewall in the engine compartment in front of the steering wheel. It sticks up on the tubing, very easy to access. Connect there and watch the pressure on the gauge, vent it slightly and listen to the compressor for cycling. It should run continously if its hot outside and you have the windows down so it can't shut off on temperature meeting setpoint.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Posts: 235
    Don't know if the compressor clutch has a clutch gap spec or not. If so, it may only require a shim if the "freon" charge is correct.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Posts: 118
    This is not new info, but I wasn't aware of it until now. I got a letter from my local Isuzu dealer announcing their new line of Isuzu brand pickup trucks. I went to isuzu.com, and they look almost exactly like the Chevy Colorado. Same powertrains even, no diesel. It's too bad they didn't do more to differentiate them. I really don't see the point of trying to sell rebadged Colorados. The D-Max models offered internationally, while I think they share the same basic platform, are better looking and have more interesting powertrain options. Oh well, at least US Isuzu dealers now have more than one model to sell. Hopefully it will help keep them in business a bit longer until they can bring in the new Isuzu-built SUV that has been rumored.
  • bawbcatbawbcat Posts: 118
    I did some more searching and found a few articles that said the new SUV was cancelled at the same time the new pickups were introduced. Too bad. Isuzu really needs some new and unique product if they are going to stay in business in the US. We'll just have to keep our Troopers going and see what happens.
    All Isuzu really needs to make a big comeback is to get their diesel engineers in high gear and sell into all the cars out there. The badges would be required to be posted proudly on cars and trucks with Isuzu diesels inside. No more having Isuzu engines and whole Isuzu built vehicles without giving credit where credit is due.
    Isuzu Inside, Efficiency by Isuzu, Isuzu Power, Isuzu Diesel
    In the mid sized trucks Isuzu is known for the best fuel economy and lowest emissions and excellent durability, while also being available at an attractive price.
    How about the Isuzu Diesel Minivan hybrid that gets 45 MPG and does not idle at lights so the soccer moms don't her the diesel clatter?
    How about the Isuzu Diesel Trooper or other SUY with a frame and 5000lb. towing that gets 33 MPG even with the big tires?
    How about the Isuzu Diesel commuter compact car that is a mild hybrid so it does not have to idle at lights or in stop and go traffic and so it can take off quickly, but the efficent diesel gets 65+MPG on long commutes. (The current crop of hybrids in the USA are not suited to long drives, they are all about stop and go across town, their highway MPG is not that great)
    These are where Isuzu needs to get back into play and then bring out the new Troopers. hopefully Isuzu sees it this way too. Isuzu made some really nice cars that can come back now that GM no longer has the strangle hold on Isuzu.
    Maybe Isuzu and Toyota and Subaru and Suzuki will get together and buy what's left GM. http://www.isuzuperformance.com/isupage/