Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• centralcentral Posts: 51
    Kind of wondering out loud here but doesn't the hitch ever so slightly improve the handling? It is after all a very sturdy piece of steel tying the two sides of the vehicle together tending to stiffen the frame in effect and reducing body roll.

As to checking the ATF, it is a pain. You do it with the engine running and remove a pan plug and the level is correct if the fluid just drips out. At a minimum make sure if you see any ATF drips below the vehicle you check the transmission level (and the TOD as it too uses ATF).
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    If you appreciate the gizmos in the cabin, take a look in the engine compartment, then look where the Trooper really shines, "undercarriage". This truck is engineered very well for the cost.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    You guys new to these Troopers are in for a real treat. These trucks ROCK! As stated previously, they are built ISUZU tough, NOT Ford tough. For those with new engines; if you look back about post # 1200-1300 you'll see a lot of talk about oil consumption. This is a known fact with the Trooper, but if you would like to avoid or minimize your chance of having the same problem, drive the truck real "hard" after you get past the break-in mileage. This helps seat the rotating parts in quicker and "hardens" surfaces better in the early life of the engine. Its proven to improve engine life and reduce oil consumption in the long run. You'll have to sacrifice some gas mileage during that time, but for the long term life of the vehicle its well worth it!

On the A/C issue, theres no doubt the system is marginal for the size of the Trooper. Those of you having good results in really hot climates, are the exception to the rule. Be Happy :). Its imperative that your freon be fully charged and cooling radiator be clear of blockage. Check your freon dryer with the A/C running. Theres a small window in the top that you can see the fluid through. It should appear clear shortly after turning the A/C on. It may appear foamy for a minute or so initially, but then should run clear. This is a indication of a proper freon charge. That radiator fan clutch has gotta be working right as well for proper A/C performance. The recirc mode is the right answer for low air flows, and dropping the windows to let that latent heat out of the cabin is right on target as well. Its a lot of cabin volume to cool down when the temps interior climb to 130F. The thing I don't understand, is why does the blower fan almost shut down while your accelerating the vehicle? It returns when you reach your cruise speed. Anybody got the answer to that?

One last question. On the 2000-2001 Troopers, how do you tell what model it is (S, LS, LTD) if there is no labeling on the exterior?
  • sboykin1sboykin1 Posts: 2
    My wife and I are planning a trip from Washington DC to Mobile , Alabama. My son says borrow his Sienna and save myself some real pain. I have a 99 Trooper S I that I love. Should I take the Trooper or the Sienna. I have noticed some excessive play in my steering wheel that service has not been able to correct. I leaning toward taking the Sienna. What would you do. The trip will be about 2000 miles door to door including a stop in Birmingham.

Steve
    Just guessing, but what you described with the fan sounds like it's somehow related to manifold vaccuum? At a quick glance, the way I can tell the difference between models, is the mirrors. The "S" has Black, the "LS" has colored and the "LTD" has chrome.
  • You are asking an Isuzu Owners Club if they would choose a Sienna minivan over a Trooper for anything? ;-)
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    1200+ miles in the Trooper :) NY->NC->NY Yum Yum Good, even posted 17.5mpg @ 80-90mph!

S: Black Mirrors, Rims are not mesh, lower cladding is "moonmist", no tinted factory windows in rear, AM/FM Antenna on the pass side, no arm rests, no fog lights

LS: Mesh Wheels, Body Colored Mirrors, No Lower 2-tone color, Body color for entire truck, Fog Lights.

LS Anniversary Edition: Pearl White, Pearl White Rims

Limited: Multimeter in overhead, 2-tone with moonmist on bottom, non-mesh wheels, except on the Gold package, which gives you mono-tone and mesh wheels.

My A/C on the 2000 Trooper does not kick down the fan speed at all even on heavy acceleration (and as some of you know I usually do that often) that could be a reason for the better cooling? Also I always use the auto-temp feature and the recirc.

-mike
  • gpm5gpm5 Posts: 785
    Is this moonmist on the S a new thing--what years? My '99 is two tone paint.

AC in the 90+ heat/humidity did lose a little cooling efficiency at an idle at a long stop light.
    In 2000 and 2001, they are 2 tone, with the bottom 1/2 being moonmist and the rest of the vehicle being whatever color it is.

I had the A/C Cranking on the trail crawling @ very slow speeds as well as bumper to bumper traffic, w/o a problem.

-mike
  • sdavitosdavito Posts: 70
    My complaint is how long that it takes to cool the cab - eventually the a/c will cool the cab.

I asked the dealer about checking my a/c on my next visit, he replied that he would, but seriously doubted that they would find anything wrong. He said that quite a few new Trooper owners think that something is wrong with the a/c, but they always check out OK.

David
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    There is a lot of interior volume to cool, more than a Durango! And a lot more glass to induce the greenhouse effect...I don't use the AC for short trips, too much volume to cool in time to matter. It does fine for longer trips, however.

Of course, in Minnesota the AC is of no concern for half the year :) I did notice that I didn't see any black vehicles when I visited Phoenix...whereas my black Trooper is an asset here because the snow/ice melts off sooner......
  • cwmosercwmoser Posts: 227
    If you are planning on a 2000 mile trip and you have a choice of the Toyota Sienna or the Isuzu Trooper, my advise is to take the Sienna if you don't plan any off road activities.

My wife has a 1999 Sienna and I have a 1999 Trooper and we always take the Sienna on long road trips. Recently we drove from NC to South Florida in the Sienna and it was a very relaxing trip. I would think that the Trooper would be tiring after a while. Main reasons for the Sienna are: Smoother ride, better fuel economy, and more interior storage.

Another suggestion - pack a cooler and tell the wife that you want to "picnic" at rest stops. Much cheaper and more pleasant experience - I find it much less stressful too.
    bsmart1, you say to drive the Trooper real hard in order to avoid Oil Consumption, I've babied mine all its 26,000 mile life and it does not use any oil. I wonder if there is some other common denominator that affects oil consumption? Could it be going easy on the engine the first couple thousand miles?
    I burned about 1Q ever 1500 miles on mine, and I broke it in hard. I think it just depends on the truck you get.

-mike
  • Yeah, it's sad that the A/C is so inadequate on such a great vehicle. Fix that and give me a few degrees of tilt on the base of the front seats and I'd be perfectly happy with the Trooper.

We only have another month of the really silly heat (105-115 degrees) here and things will be much better. I may talk to some of the A/C shops here and see if they have any suggestions. I'd be surprised if my wife will do another summer in the Trooper without some improvement.

White cars (like my Trooper) definitely outnumber anything else here in Phoenix. Black cars are pretty rare and from what I understand, hard to sell. Dark tint is just a fact of life here.
  • tntmythtntmyth Posts: 70
    Paisan.....I have a 2001 Trooper S with the Moonmist on top and Silver on the bottom. Most of the S models have silver on the bottom and the main color at the top (black, red, green, moonmist, etc.) The only one with Moonmist on the bottom is the Silver Trooper. I am pretty sure about this because I agonized over whether to get the Silver or Moonmist.

I also have a steering wheel which is not straight. Also problably slightly out of alignment. The dealer here in So. Fla area is will fix it for free. One time only. I have an appointment on friday. I don't think I have anything to fear from the dealer since I bought Isuzu's 7-year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

My AC is holding up pretty well here in Florida. Can get a little warm if sitting idle. It helps alot to have the AC set on "recirculate". Strangely enough, for the front seat passengers, the air coming out of the vents SEEMS to be colder if it is NOT on full blast. Also I notice that the air is colder if you lower the temperature all the way to 65 degrees instead of leaving it higher, like at 75 degrees. Maybe just my imagination. Well at any time, if it seems unacceptable, I will get just tints to solve the problem. For the time being, I am just enjoying that excellent clear visibility I have with the big windows and mirrors, something I never had in the cars I have owned. Not sure I want to effect that with the tints.
  • randers3randers3 Posts: 19
    Recently had Tranny fluid changed to Mobil Synthetic ATF. Change was done with the T-tech transfer, which pumps old tranny fluid out as new fluid is added. When you start to see the new fluid coming out of tranny, the fluid change is complete. Here is where it gets interesting. After driving around awhile the tranny chattered going into first gear. When taking off very slow and babying it the tranny was just fine. If you got on it at all it would chatter and search for first gear. Took it back to the dealer and they found the tranny was two quarts low of fluid. I asked the dealer at what point does the check transmission light come on due to low fluids. He said that the check light runs off of heat. So when the tranny heats up pass the acceptable limit the light comes on and appropiate measures are then taken. The amount of fluid in your tranny makes no difference at all in regards to the Check Tranny light coming on. The bigger question I had is how can my transmission be two quarts low as I stood right there and watched him do the entire fluid change. Seems that the mechanic got a little busy and the T tech reservoir ran dry and he didn't turn it off right away, therefore running fluid out of the tranny and not adding on the front end. The important lessons here are to manually check the fluid level after every service, even though the system seems foolproof. After adding the two quarts the transmission runs fine.
  • erinsquarederinsquared Posts: 178
    Randers3, I feel for you man. I can tell you're the kind of person that takes care of your stuff and there is nothing more frustrating than an incompetent service tech This is one of the reason's why I tackle some of the easier maintenance jobs myself - since I actually save more time than going through the hassle of getting a service appointment and arranging drop off/pickup at the dealership. Unfortunately, GM does not make it easy to service their transmission and there is a lot of fluids held in these transmissions to spill on the driveway (don't ask how I know ;). I too am planning to change the fluid over to Mobil 1 ATF soon. I have one of those fluid pumps. Has anyone found a way to use a fluid pump to siphon the transmission fluid and then replenish?
    There may be a writeup on http://isuzu-suvs.com either in the FAQ or the How-to.

-mike

• gpm5gpm5 Posts: 785
    Its too bad how these poor service jobs happen regularly. One hopes that things are done correctly but maybe half the time they aren't. It does end up being a waste of time. Unfortunately on the tranny, there is not a dipstick to do a quick check. Conman commented to me that he got an oil change to Mobile 1 and they left it about an 8th low. Someone else posted here that on one truck they left a diff dry. I know someone where an oil service shop never put oil in his engine and he ran it that way for several days. That's why I'm so paranoid about an alignment being done correctly as well.
    Thes poor service experiences I've heard from all makes, models, dealers, from Yugos to Lexi to MB.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    You must have the base S model, because the drivers seat base tilts on my 99 Performance Package (equivelant to the middle option package in 00 and 01). The shotgun seat does not tilt, however.

I remember when I was looking at Troopers I drove an S model and found the driving position very uncomfortable...was about to give up on a new Trooper and walk away, then decided to ask about the seats. The salesman suggested the Perf Package seats ("8-way adjustable", you know). The ability to tilt the seat base made all the difference! And so here I am with a Trooper...

None of which helps you, I know...unless by some amazing stroke of luck you locate such an adjustable seat in a boneyard or something...
    In about 10 years he'll see the seats for current model troopers @ junk yards :)

-mike
    You can get them now, if you live in the right place.

http://copartfinder.com/cgi-bin/model.dtw/part
    sdc2 - your comment about seats in the Trooper "S" reminded me when I was looking at the Troopers. The newer Troopers always caught my eye and I remembered how tough they were as I had a 1989 older Trooper. I went to the Isuzu dealer and test drove a white "S" Trooper and immediately sensed that I could not live with the seat not having an armrest. I walked away thinking I would not be back. I almost bought a Chrysler T&C van and later learned, probably on this forum, that higher end Troopers have nicer seats. I rode thru the lot at the dealership and my eye caught a Red Trooper that looked different. I test drove it and noted that the seats were exactly what I wanted. A few days later I was the owner of a 1999 Trooper with Luxury package and thus seats with armrests.

Isuzu corporate - if you are reading this forum, making "S" models without armrests was really a "penny-wise but pound-foolish" decision. Still, the Trooper is an amazing vehicle and I have not regreted the purchase of my Trooper.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,127
    Seems like I remember reading about bull bars in one of the Isuzu discussions.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

In 2001 the S model now has arm rests.

-mike
    There are aproximately a few 100 actual bull bars that are being talked about in that article in use in this country. They cost around $800-$1000 to purchase and install. The dinky bars that the SUVs here in the US have, are just for show, they provide almost no protection at all, and do actually give, bending into the front end and doing more damage than if you didn't have them!

-mike
    Some of the subaru guys are wrapping their A/C pipes to provide more cooling. Check out the Subaru Owner's club for more info.

-mike
  • lovingpclovingpc Posts: 34
    The "thermostat" on the trooper AC works a lot like your home thermostat. If you put it on 65 degrees, it's just going to push the maximum amount of air until the computer says "stop, it's now 65 degrees". There is no way for an automotive, or most home ac systems to blow "colder air" or "warmer air". The air goes through the chiller unit, and it is the volume of air moved that the thermostate controls.

It does make sense to put your thermostat all the way down to 65 to get maximum cooling - you'll be pushing the maximum volume of air. If the recirc doesn't come on when you do this, press it manually. It increases the air volume too.

Opening the windows for a minute will help to.

I've found the AC okay - I had it checked last summer and they said the coolant was full, and the system checked out. I do have some of those big "truck style" spring shades that are silver on the outside. They hold themselves between the window and the molding inside the car just right. Back windows have factory tint, front are clear.

Living in Tennessee - in the mid 90's now and humid.

Andy
    00 LTD 2WD