Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• My wife has a 98 Trooper. The vehicle's engine surges or dies at stoplights. Isuzu says that the computer has to be replaced ($2K) and that we won't know if the new computer will work until it is installed($2K gamble). This seems to be extremely outrageous method of determining if something will work. The vehicle has 170K miles on it, but is otherwise in decent shape.

Any ideas or experiences on this type of problem?
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Posts: 414
    hi, I Don't know about whether or not the ECU is really the problem. There are specific codes that inform whether it is bad or not, but unless you know what codes, if any, were found then there is no way to get their description.
    As far as the ECU, rebuilt ECU's are available, and some rebuilders can be found on ebay. They will also rebuild your original ECU if that is what you would prefer. I sent what I thought was a bad ECU to one of them, not for an Isuzu, and they called me and told me that the ECU was not bad and would only rebuild it if I directed them to do so. I thought that was pretty professional of them. I think the price was around $200 dollars. You might want to check around on that. Good luck
  • I'm doing a front brake job on my '99 Trooper and I need to get the rotors turned, so I need to remove the hub and rotor. The problem is, that I can't find a repair manual for it, so I don't have any of the torque specs for re-assembly. If you know the specs or a source for a repair manual I would really appreciate it. I haven't finished the disassembly yet, but I think these are the only specs I'll need.

I'm looking for the torque specs for the following:
    - hex bolts that connect the axle and hub
    - spindle nut
    - three screws that hold the spindle nut retainer
    - bolts for the brake caliper mounting bracket
    - bolts for the brake caliper

Thanks in advance.
    Hope this helps

1999 Isuzu Truck Trooper V6-3.5L
    Vehicle Level Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Brake Caliper Specifications

Specifications

Adjusting Method Self-Adjusting
    Piston Diameter: Front 2.38 in
    Rear 1.63 in
    Support Bracket Bolts: Front 115 ft.lb
    Rear 76 ft.lb
    Caliper Attaching Bolts: Front 54 ft.lb
    Rear 32 ft.lb
    Bleed Screw 69 in.lb
    Hose to Caliper Bolt 26 ft.lb

1999 Isuzu Truck Trooper V6-3.5L
    Vehicle Level Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Brake Rotor/Disc Specifications

Specifications

Brake Disc/Rotor Front Standard Thickness 26.0 mm
    Minimum Thickness (Wear) 24.60 mm
    Minimum Thickness (Refinish) 24.97 mm
    Effective Disc Diameter 222.0 mm
    Maximum Runout 0.13 mm
    Rear Standard Thickness 18.0 mm
    Minimum Thickness (Wear) 16.6 mm
    Minimum Thickness (Refinish) 16.97 mm
    Maximum Runout 0.13 mm
    Effective Disc Diameter 269.2 mm

Install hub nut. Turn to the place where there is a chamfer in the tapped hole to the outer side, then attach the nut by using front hub nut wrench J-36827.

PRELOAD ADJUSTMENT
    Tighten the hub nut to 29 Nm (22 ft. lbs.) , then fully loosen the nut.
    Tighten the hub nut to the value given below, using a spring scale on the wheel pin. New bearing and New oil seal Bearing Preload: 20 N - 25 N (4.4 lbs. - 5.5 lbs.) Used bearing and New oil seal Bearing Preload: 12 N - 18 N (2.6 lbs. - 4.0 lbs.)
    If the measured bearing preload is outside the specifications, adjust it by loosening or tightening the bearing nut.

Link to hub part specifications:
    http://www.carspace.com/atfdmike/Albums/trooper/99hubtorque1.gif/page/photo.html- #pic
  • Thanks atfdmike! That was just what we needed!!!!
  • spdracr4, I have exactly the same vehicle and EXACTLY the same symptoms you've described. Please tell me you've found an answer to these problems. I've been struggling to find the solution for weeks and it's driving me nuts! Were you able to resolve the issue???
  • hey cobbo, did you ever get the reduced power light issue fixed? I'm having the exact same issue with my 2001 trooper limited black with gold package and TOD.
    Did you look at reply to his post? I think it is 11321.
  • the radio in my 94 trooper was replaced with a 91 radio w/o cd input. I wanted to get the cd player going again a grabbed a 95 radio off ebay. Will it work in my 94 with a separate factory single cd or did I waste my money? :confuse:
    Hi, well, you reversed the usual progression by purchasing before checking whether it will work, but the factory used the same radio both years for the premium sound system. If the radio you purchased was for the premium system, which is what you had originally, then it should work. The radio you bought should say premium sound system, or similar, on the face somewhere. The harness should work as long as it was not modified to put in the 91 radio. As far as I could tell looking at the electrical diagrams, no wiring changes should have been necessary, but you won't know until you open it up and look. Hope this helps.
  • Thanks, I appreciate the info. It should work based on your info. I had to act quickly because it was on ebay. You're a great advice giver! Happy Holidays!!!! ;)
  • khfckhfc Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, i have a 1997 trooper, may i know how to chang the Transmission AT Filter, is it easy for DIY?
    Thanks a lot!!!
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    Nothing to change really. You're xmission has a screen in it, not a filter per sey. You may want to get a xmission fluid exchange done. Its a booger doing a drain and refill. There is NO dipsitck, not fill port on the top side...the fill port is on the side of the transmission, hard to access.
  • df2000df2000 Posts: 60
    You are wrong. '97 Trooper has 4l30E GM built trans with changeable felt AT filter. Buy kit in Advance Auto for $20, it come with new Fel-Pro pan gasket. You may need to remove crossmember to get access to some pan bolts. Also get yourself hand pump for $6 to fill it after. The job is very DIY. Actually, the worst part was to remove peaces of old gasket from valve body.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I've done this on my Trooper as I've done a lot of stuff. and I'd NEVER do it again. It's a royal PITA.

-mike
  • mpelmpel Posts: 23
    Somewhere along the line, the cover to the fuse "Box/Tray" thingy was lost. It rests midway back on the left side under the hood. Of course I can't find one and the dealer wants $40 bucks for one.

Anyone know a sourse for obscure parts?

Thanks
  • Just wanted to do an update 5K miles later... The KYB Monomax are a joke. After just a couple of months and two offroad trips, my truck wallowed and swayed like it was drunk on the highway. I thought maybe the front shocks were leaking after I had bottomed out twice off road. They are terrible off road and should never be labled as an off highway shock.

I just installed Old Man Emu's all around and its like a different vehicle. No more side to side motion and much better cornering. I have not taken them off road yet, but Im sure they will be better since OME is a designated off road shock company.

Save your money/time, do it right and get the OME.
    That's what I put on my trooper after 25k miles, it's now at 100k and many offroad trips later and they are still good. OME rear springs too.

-mike
    OK, I don't have a clue....is OME the brand like KYB or an acronym for something? I don't recognise it but am interested because of your results. Thanks.
    Old Man Emu

They are a brand from Australia. Great stuff for the Holden Jackaroo aka Isuzu Trooper.

-mike