Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• hi I just got 1992 isu trooper LS given to me and Im not sure if the gas gauge works or not i was told to check my fuses now is that true or do i just take a chance and drive it until it runs out of gas? I would appreciate it if someone could help me ouy with this
  • I had a Greenbriar Eight Door Deluxe Corvair Van once upon a time. I drove it across the country South to North without a fuel gauge because the gauge parts inside the tank were gummed up. I took time the remove the fuel tank and fixed it. I also swapped the engine for a freshly rebuilt one, and in so doing, destroyed the speedometer gauge cable. I had no choice but to continue on my journey which was to cross the country East to West.
    While the fuel gauge was stuck, I used an assumption for MPG and the odometer to guess when I needed to fill up. And while the speedometer and odometer did not work I used the gas gauge to guess how far I'd driven, along with mile markers and a map. I sometimes followed another car at a resonable distance to get the speed about right.
  • I have a 2001 Trooper that was bought new, its been absolutely flawless with the only problem being a faulty drive-by-wire sensor after 4 years ($300 fix!!). Apart from that just routine maintenance (oil changes, belt replacement, tires, etc.). It does consume some oil, in my case 1qt every 2000miles which is normal for these engines. Good luck with your search, we are very happy with our Trooper (only negative is fuel consumpt. at ~14-15mpg in town, this adds up with current gas prices!).
  • I have a 1996 Trooper and the amp thats in it is blown or needs a new fuse cause my sound on my CD Player doesnt work everything else works on it but no sound. Does anybody know where the Amp. is at on the Trooper...
  • There's something that looks like that under the seat...
  • which seat. i have already looked there and i dont think i saw it,but i'll look again in daylight. And are you sure its in a 1996 model?
  • No, mine is a 1998. Sorry. I didn't notice that.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    As others have said Troopers are good vehicles, and very reasonable used car prices. The only thing about the 2002 models that I've noticed, is that they may NOT have the same features for the same model level of previous year models. I think this has to do with it being the final year built for USA. I think they were using up what assembly parts were available to build the 2002 models.
    For example if you are looking at a LS model, it might come with cloth vs. leather, or black outside mirrors vs. color matched to exterior paint color. The A/C controls may be from a late 90's version vs. the 00' forward version. You might get manual operated seats vs. electric, or other interior trim differences. Most of these things are just cosmetic, but if you're picky it matters. I don't know that they did anything unusual with the driveline on the 2002 model.
    Well today I thought I'd run some Sea Foam through the intake to do some top cylinder lubrication. I read threads where some have used the PCV valve vacuum line to draw the liquid into the common chamber. Some have mentioned tons of smoke resulting, some say the vehicle dies, won't continue to run etc. Well in my case..........I sucked about 1/3 of a can of Sea Foam through the PCV vacuum line. It didn't take but a few seconds to consume it all, and there was NO black smoke out the tailpipe as a result!! I was surprised. I also tried to kill the engine by shoving the hose down to the bottom of the liquid.....nope it just sucked it up and kept on running!! This engine must be much cleaner than those talking of black smoke during this exercise. Anyway, I guess it must be due to a good grade of 'clean' fuel. I've been using Valero Premium for about a year now, and it must be doing a good job. I'm thinking of trying Shell gas, I've heard it has additives that improve fuel mileage, and keep your engine as well. We'll see......
    I shut the engine off as quickly as I could after the Sea Foam was gone. I let the engine sit for several hours before starting it up again. On 1st restart there was smoke for about 15 seconds after start. On next start after sitting for 30 minutes, about 30 seconds of smoke. On next start after sitting overnight, about 1 minute of smoke. Smoke continues to appear after each re-start so far. More later.........may have loosened up the rings more than is adviseable for an engine with 100K+ miles on it.
    Well.......smoke at startup continued a couple of more times. The smoke was light blue, indicating oil burn. It gradually got to be less and less, and has now stopped altogether. WHEW, I was beginning to worry that I had done the wrong thing putting SF thru the intake like this. All appears to be will now. I'll monitor oil consumption and see if anything changes.
    I left the Sea Foam in the crankcase of my 99' Trooper for about 700 miles, and about that same amount of miles for the 01'. The oil drained from the 99' afterward was terribly black, I've never seen it like that before. So it appears the Sea Foam was cleaning out the crankcase and block internals. I don't do the oil change on my 01'Troop, so I didn't see the oil that came out of it, probably about the same condition. I did use a can of Sea Foam in the gas tank as well, and think it was beneficial in cleaning the fuel injectors. No results to prove it really..........
  • matausmataus Posts: 43
    I have a 1990 Isuzu Trooper 5 speed manual. With a 2.8 liter v6.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can tell me how to tweek my air/fuel mixture on my carborator. I can't seem to figure it out. I can't even seem to find it in the Chilltons manual. I am having a problem with ecceleration on my truck. I did do a complete tune-up on my truck. Ie: plugs/wires/cap/roter/o2 sensor/fuel filter/fuel system flush. All the above. When I hit the gas on my truck, it bogs down. This usually happens if I press on the gas to much. My truck will jerk on and off when I hit the gas. Almost like its getting and then not getting fuel. If there is anyone out there who can help, it would be greatly appreciated...

Maddy :confuse:
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Hmm, try putting the old stuff on? Perhaps they gave you the wrong cap and rotor? I had that on my 74 Oldmobile.

-mike
  • i have a 94 trooper, with new plugs, new fuel filter, new timing belt, ive done extensive work on this to get it running great. my latest problem is that when i start it, it takes a while before it fires up, once fired up runs great. only when the vehicle sits overnight or for a couple hours does this problem occur. if im driving it and turn it off then back on, it fires right up. what could this be?- jes
  • and not a slight delay either. if it wasnt for my new alternator and titanium battery from advanced auto parts, it would be juiced out, because it takes so long for it to fire up. i also have oil accumulating in my spark plug chamber, and know that isuzu made a new set of wires to cure that problem but dont know what kind they are and where to purchase them. or if this is related to my delayed startup
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Posts: 414
    I believe you may be mistaking the Throttle Body Injector for a carburetor on your Trooper. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the 2.8 was available carbureted?
    One guys opinion.
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Posts: 414
    When you turn on the ignition, do you hear the fuel pump turn on for a couple seconds and then turn off? It is supposed to do that, and then after cranking a little while the oil pressure rise allows the pump to turn on again as long as there is oil pressure. So is your oil pressure good?? Another possibility that is suggested often is the fuel pressure regulator on the engine. It is supposed to allow fuel at preset pressure reach injectors. If if leaks down, the whole system has to repressurize, basically. Finally, I have read that there may be a check valve at the fuel tank (pump maybe) that is supposed to keep fuel from draining back to tank, but I have never seen it for myself.
    I would try jumpering the fuel pump at the relay first thing in the morning and pressurizing the fuel system before trying to start it to see if that cures the problem. If it does, then you can choose which components to check next. I am curious, though, about whether this condition just started or has been going on a while?
    Hope this helps, one guys opinion.
  • yes if i try pressurising the fuel system by switching it to on then waiting 5 seconds, then off(repeat 2 or 3 times) then turn the key all the way it fires up quite fast. but i thought that if a fuel pump is bad, it doesnt give any sign and it just goes out. also how do i jump the fuel pump like you say? this problem of delayed start has occured since i purchased the trooper in january this year. like i said prior, i have replaced alot of stuff that would have to do with start up, including starter, plugs, fuel filter, timing belt, and ive cleaned fuel injectors and used sea foam for my whole system. Basically i am about to just replace my fuel pump soon, my oil pressure is great. ive talked with most and if the regulator and the pump were bad, it wouldnt work at all. so im still not sure what to do- thanks
  • also does oil in my spark plug resevoir have anything to do with this problem. does anyone know more about the new plugs that isuzu made to prevent this as far as finding them