Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,940
    That's fun (not the part about the spiraling costs of diesel). Maybe you can post some pics of it on your CarSpace page?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Glad to hear that the old girl passed here Mot and is up and about,Well you cant keep a good trooper down.mine has just clicked over to 400.000 and is going as well as ever.
  • I will post some images as soon as i work out how this site works..i did replace the engine at 258.000 miles and found a 2.8Di with only 43.000 miles on it, so many miles ahead! and as i imported it from japan there is no rust (which due to the amount of salt on the road in the UK is a problem on most older [non-permissible content removed] vehicles sold here..The problem is finding some sidesteps as my elderley mother just cant get up into it..As far as costs go, fully comp insurance was £168. as opposed to over £450 for the cherokee..and even though it is a larger unit it returns a much better fuel economy...I am SO glad i have my Isuzu back and thankful that this site and its contributors are so knowledgble and helpful....(if there is an easy way to post pics...let me know... :shades:
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    I also want to express some love for my 2002 LS :-) (that standard Trooper pic on edmunds looks just like my satin gold truck I've had since new...) I did some towing the other day (12 ' 2000 lbs. UHaul trailer) to Florida and back (over 1000 miles in a couple of days) and it did great. The mileage was 15 MPG but what can you do...

I have 45K miles on it, new battery, new tires, new HD radio unit (the best thing ever!) and no issues other than a cruise control that is unreliable. Has anyone else experienced it? Like not being able to set it in the first place or dropping out of it completely when adjusting speed increments?
    Pic posting instructions are in the Help file below. Parking them in your CarSpace album may be about as easy as anything.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• whats up where is the knock sensor on my 1996 isuzu trooper? I need to know where it is located because I am having the same problem. Thanks ..... talk to you soon

Chris
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Posts: 414
    Knock sensor is located in valley underneath the intake manifolds. It has a single wire connector on it. I am referring to the 3.2 engine. You might want to check www.myisuzuparts.com for the specific year since I seem to recall that some engine versions do not have a knock sensor. I just can't remember which? LOL
    It is tough to get to, and the connector is very brittle by now and will crack, chip or disintegrate depending on how you treat it. Have you checked for codes? I sure would before diving in to this one. Remember that even if the CEL is not on, some codes may be stored. HTH One guys opinion.
  • Hey guys,

I'm trying to help my Dad out. He has a "91" Trooper and it sounds like to me that he needs a new exhaust gasket. Does anyone have a diagram to the exhaust, its a 6 cylinder?

Thanks in advance!
    Isuzu has a website that is free and shows the components for Isuzus marketed in the US. It is www.myisuzuparts.com Once you enter your vehicle info, you can look at the various illustrations and part no.s hope this helps
  • Mike,

Thank you for the reply! I guess I just have to get in there and do an alimination process. But yea, this will me neat to show my Dad. May come in handy one day.
    Thanks a million!

ms_jetset :)
  • I'm having a similar problem with my drivers window. The clips had broken sometime last summer, and until recently the window had worked sufficiently with a couple of little metal plates I attached in lieu of the clips.

I was wondering how well the 'universal' clips you got a hold of held up and if its worth me finding a auto glass place that carries them.

Thanks for the help!
    Not sure what clips you refer to, but on ebay if yousearch under isuzu window or similar, there is a vendor that has the plastic clips that attach by way of adhesive tape to the window. I don't think they are OEM, but they are the only ones I have seen. I made my own out of pieces of nylon block, but that was a PITA! These are not cheap, but you cannot get new clips unless you buy the entire window! HTH
  • ceballceball Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Isuzu Trooper with 3.5L engine. It has a 2002 engine with 109,000 miles on the engine and 199,000 miles on the body. The engine was running fine until I had the timing belt and water pump replaced. It now runs rough with no power. I removed the NGK plugs for the driver's side of the engine and they looked fine and clean. However when I removed a plug from the first & second cylinders on the passenger side, the ends of both plugs were black with soot and looked like they never fired. I started the engine and removed a coil pack from the driver's side of the engine and there was a noticeable difference (the number of cylinders operating was reduced) , however when I remove a coil pack from the passenger side, there was no change in the engine.
    Has anyone experience anything like this?
  • Hopefully i uploaded it correctly, and is, i believe on my profile bit...Isuzu irmscher 2.8 Di turbo (trooper)..probably the most fun vehicle i have ever owned....the cherokee lse has remained in the garage since i rejuvenated my old faithful...thanks for all the advice folks! :shades:
  • isu2isu2 Posts: 8
    i have a 2001 Trooper, 3.5 4wd. While sevicing the transmission, i noticed a large round metal weight about 7 inches in diameter on one of the crossbeams under the car. it does not appear to serve any purpose and is not in the service manual. any idea what it is for. bolted to the cross beam on passenger (right) side, it is not for a coil spring nor have any wires attached.
    Well, the thumbnail works fine but the main photo isn't loading right. Maybe you could try uploading it again (unless others can see it ok and it's just me?).

Nope, thumbnail works, but album size does not. Still, it is obviously a nice ride!
  • I feel like I'm the newbie at the Troopers Anonymous meeting..."I'm Redshanks and I bought a 1995 Trooper".

I currently have a 2000 Ford F-150 Supercab Longbed 4x2 that has major issues with it's ABS module under the hood- it keeps running with off. And until I can get it fixed, it's not a viable form of transportation. Besides, my wife hates it as I never took her to look at vehicles when I bought it- and as she's in a wheelchair, she cannot get into it easily. As well as it being a gashog.

So, being unemployed (except for a 24 hours/week part-time gig) sucks. I was able to acquire this vehicle for $1800 cash.

V6, 5 speed, A/C, AM/FM/Cassette, manual windows, fairly new Michelin SUV tires- 175xxx miles and straight body! Only a few minor paint dings on the nose of the hood and a crack in the windshield that's not very noticable. Interior upholstery is a bit dusty and needs cleaning, but no rips, tears or damage! Both airbags intact and never used.

It rides nice, shifts smartly (in spite of my not driving a stick in 25 years!) and only had a few cobwebs- seems it was donated to the Salavtion Army, and the dealer got it there. And based on the numerous positive reviews on the Trooper on Edmundns.com and other sites, I felt it would be a good choice- as the passenger seat is basically the same height as my father-in-law's 93 Ford POS Explorer that my wife CAN get into- but with better leg room in the Trooper. And easy to load her wheelchair or her powerchair in the back!

The only mechanical issue is a leak in the power steering pressue switch- one inspector failed it, another didn't as he considered it a non-issue. (Put some Lucas StopLeak PS fluid in it...)

I know it does not get the greatest gas mileage, but so far on the first tank, it's about 15 - far better than the 12 the F150 gets.

I have posted pics in Redshank's album.
  • serranotserranot Posts: 113
    Obviously, the timing belt is improperly installed. Whoever did it needs to take it apart and redo it correctly. I did it myself and it's not easy, but thiere is a procedure to do it correctly on one of the other Isuzu sites.

Tom
  • 4whldave4whldave Posts: 3
    I recently bought an 84' Trooper for a steal $1000. It ran perfect when I bought it but started running rough and missing after a month of having it. It has the G200 1.9L motor. It acts as if it is starving for fuel and missing badly. No power at all. Here is the list of things that I have done. Ignition, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, fuel filter and messed with various vacuum lines that were not on. Plugs look as if it is running lean (white and powder look). I am lost and getting aggrivated quickly, any help would be greatly appreciated.