Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• I've been told that Isuzu considers it normal for
    their 3.5L engine to use a quart of oil every
    1500-miles,what's the story ?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    I had extra keys made for my 98 Trooper and have had no problems using them to lock and unlock the doors.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    All manufactuers basically have a disclaimer that 1Q per 1000 miles is normal. Same goes for Octane levels, you may experience knocking at lower octane, so you may need to use a higher octane. (i haven't experienced the octane one, but have heard that gripe from others about manufacturers in general)

-mike
    I'd say 2002 or 2003 most likely 2003 for the next Gen Trooper. I fully expect it to be larger, with 3 rows of seats, and a larger V6 or V8 engine. The Axiom is going to be awfully close in length and drivetrain as the current generation, so it only makes sense that the new Trooper will be larger, maybe not as large as the Sequoia, but I put it up there with the Land Cruiser in style, only boxier so you can fit more stuff in it!

-mike
  • Thanks for the info. I cannot wait until 2002 for my next vehicle. Looks like I will be buying the Sequoia. :(
    Another choice it to get a 3rd row for a 2001 trooper. It will cost much much less than the price of the Toyota. Even if you went and ordered the OEM ones from australia (which I'm working on getting a price and supplier for) you aren't talking anything in the ball park of the Toyota.

-mike
  • gpm5gpm5 Posts: 785
    One question is with 3rd row seats in the trooper would be how do you get back there? When the make stock third row do they put in a sliding seat on 30 part of the 30/70 split?
    The 30% part folds up against the front seat and you enter by walking up that section. Kong sent me a pic, I'll post it and put a link to it.

-mike
    It's all about driving style. I found that on long trips where there is heavy traffic which forces me down to 60-65mph, i get near 20mpg (19.xxx) yet at my usual clip of 76-77 I get close to 15-16max. Don't forget, you are trying to motivate a close to 5500lb vehicle to speed up and slow down, with a 3.5l motor. Also above 65, the aerodynamics or lack of aerodynamics can't help much.

-mike
  • Two row seating for the trooper is fine, but I am primarily interested in a V8 since I tow a traver trailer.
    Here is a direct link to the 3rd row of seats:
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper/3rdrow.html

I've updated my site a little:
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper

-mike
    How heavy? I've towed a 3500lb boat trailer in the mountains upstate NY and on interstates @ 75-80mph, it handled very well, but I don't know how good or bad it would be with a travel trailer (cross winds and all)

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I used about 3/4 a quart in the first 1500 miles. Since then I have not burned any.
    Those look pretty nice on your site. I wonder, can you get the gray for the '99. Also, I see the buckle part of the seat belt. Is the other part just a lap belt or is there a provision for a shoulder strap. Do you know if they also fold all the way down? Are the anchors they show on our vehicles or do they just bolt down?
    Interseting, it looks like they show them turned up over the wheel well. How does that work. Is that a straight forword install. What are the costs?--any idea.
    They fold up against the walls of the truck, like the Land Cruiser 3rd row. I don't believe they fold down flat. There is apparently a plate under the carpet of our vehicles that covers a cut-out for the lower latching spot for the 3rd row, so one would need to order the seats and the mounting hardware, but the spot for it is already there. I've been told it's a bolt in procedure.

I'm working on getting prices from australia, seeing how the AU$ is not doing very well we may be able to get em for around $500-$700. Not sure if I want em, but I'd like to get all the info for people who do.

-mike
    Grade Logic basically from my understanding is that the car will downshift and apply engine braking when you let off the gas and begin to slow down. I notice on my 2000 Trooper, that if I'm doing 60mph and let off the gas completely, it will downshift to 3rd gear to slow me down. This happens in each gear down to 1st gear.

-mike
    Mike, I saw that listed on your site as a to be mod. Does that fit right into the filter box and does it add any horsepower to the vehicle (I've heard that claim). Do you know a place with a good price?
  • I've had it since about two weeks after I got the Trooper (3 mos. ago). I got it from overlander.com and paid about $60 for the filter and the "kit" to clean and reoil it when necessary. That probably won't be for a couple of years from what the instructions say...LOL. At overlander they weren't real commital on how much of an improvement I would feel, but did say that the improvements would be in the midrange of the power band. This seems to be true, but subtle nevertheless. You've no doubt seen my posted fuel mileage so I cant say there's an improvement there:) Having said all this, I'm glad I bought the filter and would do it again. It didn't cost much and seems to give me a bit more power as the revs build. When I eventually get the time after the first of the year to explore some of Arkansas' back road trails I feel it will give the engine better filtration against dust and dirt.

-Dave
  • Please keep us posted on info for the 3rd row seat; I'm also interested in this and appreciate your effort and time. Thanks!

My oil use experience in our '99 Trooper has been great. It now has 26000+ miles. I switched from conventional oil at about 5500 miles to Mobil One pure synthetic. Even before switching, I wasn't using any more than about 1/4 of a liter for 3000 miles - and that was with the engine new. I now install a new filter around 3500 miles or so, top off the oil level, and run it to about 7000-7500 miles at which time I change both oil and filter. I've read a couple times that Mobil One can be safely used for at least 10000 miles with no problem. It's an extremely well proven oil.

I've never had ANY vehicle that used a quart every 1000 miles - in any modern, normal passenger vehicle that is a sign of a problem, no matter what the dealer says.

K&N Air Filter: I installed one last year and have had it for over a year. I would recommend you check it/lightly spray it every 3 months with a cleaning every 6 months or maybe a big longer. Yes, it does help mid and higher rpm power better as it is less restrictive; I was able to feel noticeable power increases also; I'd say 3-4% at certain engine speeds.

For What It's Worth: my buddy's '92 Trooper (SOHC 3.2L, manual tranny) just had its' first failure: the starter gave out and he had it rebuilt for about $20 dollars, reinstalled it and all is fine. Not too bad for just a bit over 100,000 miles - and he's completely ignored everything except the coolant and engine oil.

Hope mine does that well. Say Bye!
    I'm not sure of performance gains, but most claim about 3% in a certain range. Performance people swear by K&N. Performance Products has em and Overlander, both in the $40-$60 range.

-mike
    Ok, the price is $260 + Shipping ($10-$20 at most) Anyone interested let me know. I'm hoping someone buys it so i can upgrade to the Chrome one!!!

-mike
    I'd say that would be a tad too much for this trooper, although depending on the terrain it might not be too bad if you upgraded the sway bars and rear springs. Also depends on how often and how far you have to tow the trailer. I hate to see you go away from the Trooper!

-mike
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    New York Times had published a list of Potential best amongst used cars for 1996 models. They based this on JD Power and Associates survey for most dependable brands. In Compact SUV's The trooper was ranked 2nd, 4Runner 1stand Explorer 3rd.

For model year 2000 Isuzu as a company is ranked below average. I guess their build quality has decreased or more likely others have improved quality and Isuzu has fallen behind.

For those of you interestd int he other models here is the list from New York Times.

Compact Cars:
    1.Toyota Tercel
    2.Toyota Corolla
    3. Subaru Impreza Outback (My personal Favourite)

Entry Midsize:
    1.Honda Accord
    2.Buick LeSabre(tie)
    2.Toyota Camry(tie)
    3.Toyota Avalon

Sporty CArs:
    1. Mazda Miata
    2.Honda Del Sol
    3.Honda Prelude

Entry Luxury:
    1.Lexus ES 300
    2.Infitinity G20
    3.Infinity I30

Premium Luxury:
    1. Lexus LS 400
    2. Mercedez-Benz SL-Class
    3. Lexus SC coupe

Compact Pickups:
    1. Toyota Tacoma
    2. Nissan Pckups
    3. Ford Ranger

Full Size Pickups
    1. Toyota T100
    2. GMC Sierra
    3. Chevorlet C/K Series

Mini SUV
    1. toyota RAV4

Compact SUVs
    1. 4runer
    2. Trooper
    3. Explorer

Full size suv
    1. Toyota LC
    2. GMC Yukon

Luxury SUV
    1. LX 470

Compact Vans
    1. Odessey
    Previa
    Mazda MPV
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    I think the declining rating for Isuzu as a company is because of the Rodeo, which is built in the US...sadly, when compared to the Trooper, the Rodeo has a significantly poorer reliability/build quality record. I'd like to think Americans can match or exceed manufacturing quality standards elsewhere, but we haven't proven it yet, at least when it comes to automobiles.
  • ilitilit Posts: 71
    Be careful with snake oil salespeople!
    Trooper's maximum towing capacity rated at 5000 lbs.
    This is based on the drive train capability,
    not the suspension system's.
    Remember that Trooper is not a super vehicle.
    Like any other vehicles, it fits only certain needs/ preferences.

Good luck!
    Or is it the chassis? Most times the restriction is the chassis NOT the drivetrain. Anyone have any facts one way or the other?

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I asked a Acura Mechanic about the towing with the MDX. It supposedly needs extra cooling when towing anything above 2000 lbs. He told me that because the vehicle is built on the minivan frame, it caused the drivetrain to work harder than necessary because of the distribution of force? Since this vehicle has more HP than the Trooper and less towing capacity I think the argument the mechanic made is valid. So it is probably a combination of both, but don't count the chassis out.
    It's the tourque and the system cooling that matters and the chassis for towing. For instance, a Suburban with a 5.7l engine is faster and has more HP than the suburban with the 7.4l engine, but if you hookem up back to back, the 7.4 will pull he 5.7l up a 30 degree incline!

The MDX is mini-van based so yeah that makes sense, but the Trooper is a full frame, so I'd say it was the suspension that is holding down the trooper as far as towing. Any engineers here?

-mike
  • I looked at the Rodeo, hung around the Rodeo boards on Edmunds...and decided "No thanks!" Not to offend paisan, who evidently had great luck with his Rodeo but it seems that many people who own them experience a lot of problems. Not so with the Trooper and Vehicross. Plus, I bought my Trooper for about the same as an LS Rodeo, comparably equipped.