Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• The way to get a Limited for a true steal is to... buy a used one. The prices have not held up well, and although the Limiteds are in fact quite rare compared to the S and LS models, the prices for the Limiteds are depressed because the prices for the S and LS models are so depressed. I should know; I have a '99 Limited that I would like to sell, but it's too depressing to put it on the market. For pre-2000 Troopers, look for trucks with both the "Performance" and "Luxury" packages, because they were not called "Limiteds" before 2000. (BTW, mine is excellent condition, Virginia location; let me know if you would like to learn more. ksalen@armstrongpat.com )
    Good luck in your search.
    -Ken
  • I paid $25,900 for my 1999 trooper with performance pkg, lux pkg, isuzu hitch, multimeter, moonroof, etc., in August 2000. Had 7800 miles on it, but was in *perfect* condition. Isuzu Rep driven, so the title said *new*. Bank gave me the *new* car financing rate (7% at the time).

No regrets.
    Phil
  • thanks for the info on that TSB!!
  • hguyhguy Posts: 5
    Technicians or mechanics(how we call them in the rest of the world) just try to deal with and fix the "state of the art" technology that engineers are throwing at them. Most of them try hard to earn paycheck,witch is hard btw working on warranty ,and assuming that there is a "switch" they flip to trigger a problem like that , shows how little you know about automotive industry. Give them little credit,because after all where you will go when your LTD will crap the bed? Ya'll have a good weekend now :-)
  • cobbocobbo Posts: 34
    Hguy is proving that he/she is the numnut if not capable of recognizing a rant for what it is when someone is dealing with the frustration of a recurring problem...but that aside, contrary to post 1765, most manufacturers have in fact set up an idiot warning light on oil changes which is set to go off according to a mileage countdown and needs to be reset when in for service/oil change by the technician, generally by resetting a computer code or via "flicking a switch" by pushing certain display devices in a preprogrammed order in order to reset the sensor -so common, in fact, that most mechanics/techs will just tell the customer the series after the first occurance in order to obviate the need to bring the truck back in for something so simple...

Now ya'll have a nice weekend and lets move past this unbecoming incident...
    -Cobbo

PS. For anyone who cares, the part was installed this am & appears to have done the job as I put on another 200+ miles today without incident & was able to actually accelerate off the line (which was a welcome change)...hasty lumbegoes...
  • I am about to buy a new Limited, but just started to get cold feet as I read about the fact that this is the last year for this Trooper (is it a redesign or the end of the Trooper)? Any thoughts out there on what this will do to the value of the current style of Trooper? Also, does anyone know why Running Boards are no longer an option? I have them on my 97 and think they really add to the appearance.

As to the earlier posts on what is a good deal, I am paying 26,500 and am very pleased. Comments quickly please... I am supposed to buy in about 14 hours!
  • cwmosercwmoser Posts: 227
    $26,500 sounds like a VERY good price for a Limited Trooper.

In 1999 I purchased a "Luxury" Trooper which is equivalent to the Limited and paid $26,788.25 Cash plus a tradein worth approx $3,000.00. This included all taxes, tags, etc.

I assume the Limited includes the same accessories as the "Performance" and "Luxury" packages offered in 1999 which are Leather, Moon Roof, Spyder Wheels, CD changer, Multimeter, fog lamps, simulated wood trim, etc.

I thought I got a great price but your price is even better!!
  • cwmosercwmoser Posts: 227
    A quick way to tell if a Trooper has both the Luxury and Performance packges for pre 2000 models, is to look for the badging "Luxury" on the back of the vehicle.
  • beer47beer47 Posts: 185
    Forget it. We all got our $ value up front when we bought it. You can't get it on the back end too. A Toyota will cost much more up front but you will get it on the back end. I say you buy the Trooper with the idea to keep it for good, trade-in value be damned. With the model going away, low sales figures, and the general public not giving a darn there will be no great $ amounts to be had for your Trooper. I think we got a real good vehicle @ a real good price that is tough as an old shoe. But the key is to drive it, drive it, and drive it some more. Avg person should keep it at least 10 years. I do about 3k per month so I'm not sure mine can hold up that long but I do plan on it going at least 200k which should take me about 5 and a half years. Good luck to all!!
  • To answer CW I am getting all of those options, as wll as the rather strange Multimeter, which not only has a compass, but also a barometer. The only thing missing is the running boards.

Any ideas what will happen to parts availability when Troopers end??????????????????
  • i30g20i30g20 Posts: 24
    Thanks for all the comments on limited regarding new vs used. I believe I may just go the used route if I cannot work a reasonable deal. I agree with keeping them forever. I kept my 1986 model till 212k and now have 160k on my 92. If I can get the Lim coupled with the fact that the Trooper will be no more; I'm sure I'll put more than 200k on it also. Also cwmoser, your post re 26k+3k tradein being a great price... I was just wondering was there $5000 in incentives in 1999?. If there was, then I agree; but if there wasn't, then should be able to get one for your 29k - 5k incentives or 24k? (or 25k if they have gone up in price). Hey, cdpar5in2 did you get your Limited?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    manufacturers are required to supply them for 10 years after manufacture. These trucks will still be available outside the US after 02, so it shouldn't be too hard. Also, they probably won't need too many parts :)

-mike
  • Just wondering what brand batteries were installed in new Troopers at the factory. Mine just died and I'm trying to figure out if it was the original or not. It was a Champion, by the way.
  • I quickly overcame my fear of the end of the Trooper as we know it and picked up a totally loaded Silver Limited this afternoon. As previously reported the price was 26,680, but I did not mention itdid not include Pa's ridiculous tax of 7%. It still seem like a great deal. I cannot believe I considered a Grand Cherokee,which would have been $34000 and falling apart in 40000 miles!

The dealer told me about the plans for the Trooper and its not pretty. After next year Isuzu will be putting the Trooper name on a refined GM Envoy that will have a third seat. For anyone who loves Troopers, this should make the last of the real ones a valuable commidity. However it will be a long wait for mine, because at 12,000 miles/year it will be a long time to 200000 miles!
    Be sure to check out http://isuzu-suvs.com for info. Where in PA? We are having a trail ride Sept 15 in NJ.

-mike

• i30g20i30g20 Posts: 24
    Found on Isuzu-dealers.com web site if you do a Limited search across the country the best price for Lim is $24,999 in Fl. You may be able to use this info for those looking to get a limited to negotitiate a real good deal.
  • Just completed a 1100 mile trip in the new trooper this weekend - Alabama to West Virginia and back. Return trip had the trooper loaded to the hilt - rear seats folded forward and the back end stuffed. Great trip. Observations - plenty of engine and it loves gasoline - best highway average was 17 mpg - worst was 15 MPG - we were cruising though - sometimes exceeding 80 mph - trooper very stable at speed - I absolutely love driving this thing. However, the thing corners like an aircraft carrier - could get the tires to howl on back country roads - it does get your attention - the suspension is the culprit - but I plan to leave it alone - but someday we may add a thing or two - Gas shocks might just do it. The newly installed box ( this is an LS ) with the altimeter, compass and temp sensor - was cool - but I plan to relocate that temp sensor - its easy to spot - mounted high and forward of the radiator on the drivers side. - but it is mounted out of the airflow generated by the engine cooling fan - right underneath the upper lip of the grill where heat builds up fast when stopped - poor location compared to other vehicles that have this feature - so anyone out there know how to remove that plastic nose grill? - there is a couple of strange looking tabs that secure the grilI up high - I'm affraid I could break these by not knowing what I'm doing . Also, I expect from the dealer here in Huntsville, Al that you could buy a Limited 4X4 for $26,500 - not counting tax (your state sales tax) - or dock fee. If interested let me know.
    Glad you like it. I get about 18mpg @ 80-90mph on the freeway. Maybe my K&N is helping a bit, also I have 27K miles on it. The Gas shocks will make a world of difference I know they did for me.

-mike
  • I just installed Rancho 9000 shocks on my 99 Trooper and they make a HUGE difference. They have 6 settings and I stay at either the middle setting or one softer..I waited a year and a half to do mine, should have done them right away.
    I cranked mine up to 5 this weekend for some off-roading. Lot's of fun. Drove over a few downed trees even!

-mike