Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pet Talk - My dog/cat is my best friend!

Comments

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030
    Oh wow. Could be some disgruntled employee sabotaging the food? :mad:

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    I saw that and there were 3 brands of food we USE to feed our dog! I am so glad we switched to Beneful a few years ago. Phew!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    My "best friend" has been digging up all the mulch I just spent the whole day yesterday putting down. He's in to the habit of burying stuff. :mad:
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    I had a digger once. I went to Firestone and picked up a huge tractor tire and filled it with dirt. Anytime she was digging I said No! and then redirected her to her "sandbox". She doesn't dig in the yard anymore. :)
    He digs in my compost pile, too. That's fine. Gotta work on the training, I guess. :blush:

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

In the last three days, one of our cats (PJ) has caught 7 baby garter snakes. Yes, they are still alive and wriggling. My husband thinks she's bringing them as presents to us, but I think she is more intent on traumatizing her neurotic, housebound (his choice, not ours) brother, Luke. Personally, I don't mind the snakes, but I prefer them in the yard...not on my sofa. Plus, peeling Luke off the ceiling fan is getting old. :surprise:

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,898
    My youngest cat (Bert) got a "baby" hare yesterday by the scruff of the neck - it was about 1/3rd the size of Bert. I managed to get the hose on them under the front porch and both critters took off running (in opposite directions).

The lizards are suffering a high mortality rate right now though. :sick:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

That's hilarious, and they're still alive? :surprise:

:D
    Of course, what fun is a dead snake?

Not sure if this cardinal is schizophrenic or the urge to mate has him completely befuddled, but this has been going on for a few days now. That is cat drool on the window. :surprise:

http://my.videoegg.com/video/dUITpP#

• okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    have you seen xcargrl's bird bernie he's in the over 30 crowd. still looks 10
    my son just bought a mastiff. this will soon be a huge dog. does anyone own one of these guys or can tell me anything about them.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,945
    yeah be careful if you aren't the owner. My friend has had them and they are amazing animals but being so large, they can be dangerous. I'd definitely keep kids away unless the owner is in full control. I'm sure not all of them are aggressive, but they were bred for that after all. One of his dogs did chew on his daughter for a bit.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

thanks for the info. i am realy concerned abuot these animals as he has 5 children from 2 thru 11.
    I really don't think a mastiff is a good idea in that situation. What's he thinking?

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Obedience training is an absolute must. A dog that size must be under voice/leash control and it has to start immediately.

That said, I have to agree with Shifty - was was he thinking?

This kind of thing really makes me sad and even angry. People get large dogs because they want them for whatever reason and then put them in a situation where a large dog almost has to become a problem. And then we all know what happens - dog no longer has a home.

Hell, it's not the dog's fault he got chosen by someone who was going to abandon him just because he turned into who he was always going to be. :cry:

Okko1, sorry, I hope everything turns out well for your brother, his family and the dog. I'm not directing all of this at you, it's just that I've seen this happen several times and it's just so unfair to the dog.
    it's is acually my son and he is a good kid but ever since he was little he has had to have every new gadget made by poepeel from the ginsu knife to the pocket fisherman. i think this breeder just sold him on this dog. the name of the kennel is the gentle giants. thats what got me interested in more info about these dogs. having raised rottweillers and ridgebacks i no how important proper socialization is. but iwonder with 5 kids how much time do you have for a dog. well i hope i don't end up with the thing.
    Well it will depend on how the dog was bred, and how it's "wired" at the genetics factory. I can assure you my friend's mastiff was very intent on eating his daughter. They were actually a pair of mastiffs, and perhaps these dogs act worse in pairs. Most dogs do.

Gentle giants? I don't THINK so. These are hunting dogs, not as in tracking, but as in running down and killing.

thanks i will show him the comments i get when he comes by this week end.
    Well don't freak him out. I'm no dog expert, just an eye witness to a few incidents. But he should go in eyes open and take all precautions.

Most people say they have good dispositions but they always throw in a little caveat. I think the quote below is more accurate than what I told you---these dogs can be protective and that's where the trouble starts:

"The Mastiff breed is a combination of grandeur, dignity, and courage; calm and affectionate to its master, but capable of guarding. The breed is innately good natured, calm, easygoing, and surprisingly gentle. It is a well-mannered house pet but needs sufficient room to stretch out. This is an extremely loyal breed and though not excessively demonstrative, it is devoted to its family and good with children. However, it can be very protective of its owners and must be handled sensibly, since it is exceptionally powerful and can be difficult to control.

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    From the quote Shifty provided "must be handled sensibly" - that means obedience training as soon as possible and that cannot be overemphasized.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I've always been a cat person .. had them at home growing up.

About 7 1/2 years ago, my wife and kids start asking if we can get a dog in the house. I'm reluctant at first, but slowly warm up to the idea. So, off to the pound we go.

We're looking for something medium sized, as my daughter had problems staying home alone and a guard dog would make her feel more comfortable.

We come home with Max - part Shar-pei, part hound dog, part who-knows-what. Great, great dog. Bark is much worse than his bite.

A couple of years ago, my wife started making noise about getting Max a companion. She wanted a female dog and wanted to name her Lily.

So, one day while at work, our son showed up with a miniature dachshund puppy. My wife commented on how cute she was and asked her name. Told it was Lily, my wife was quite surprised -- this was a gift to her.

She has turned into my wife's pride and joy. She has owned many dogs over the years and has never felt so attached to one as she does to Lily. She is quite jealous of me, and her and Max get along great, despite the 30+ pound weight difference.

We still have cats - 3 of them - and their relationship to the dogs is quite interesting to watch.
    Our dog, Hadji, has some dachsund in him. He has that long torso.

WONDERFUL dog. Still, we travel a lot so I think he's our last pet for a while.

No cats! I'm allergic. :sick:
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,062
    Shhh... don;t tell my dog-crazy daughter.

There may be an addition to our household in Sept as one of my wife's coworkers just had... well her DOG did ;) ... a litter of labs. My father in law used to breed and train labs for field trials, so there's a family history of this sort of thing.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I still miss my dog. His name was Christopher, a yellow lab. Very intelligent and a total gentleman. He lived a good long life until 1982 or so. After that, I really didn't want the responsibility of another dog. It's like having a kid, but without the college tuition.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,062
    And you're right, it IS a huge responsibility and your health insurance doesn't cover office visits!

My last dog was an English Springer Spaniel named Blackjack. I always said I won him in Atlantic City because after a 3 day visit to Harrah's I came back with enough money to buy the dog, a new refrigerator, and my first home computer system!

Blackjack THOUGHT he was a puppy right up the the day he died. He weighed 78 pounds and was pure ENERGY. Heart conditions are relatively common in Springers. At age 10, he was working his retrieving dummies one day, and the next morning we found him lying still in the kennel.
    A great dog!

I'd get another Springer, except I'd like to bypass all the grooming that went with him ;)

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

good luck i got my daughter on from a friend. as it turns out i got her an 80 lb. psycho with a tail that kills. dog is dumb as a box of rocks but is one of the best pets we ever had. if you have the patience and the time to commit to lab i think their the best for children. they have a program at the school where my wife works in which the school principal used his lab with the special education student.
    Can't you get doggie health insurance now?

yes one of my other daughters has 2 dogs and she does have a plan with her vet clinic for check ups and emergency services. some surgeries are covered