Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pet Talk - My dog/cat is my best friend!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    She knows, I'm preparing them both for that.

On a better note, draining all that fluid has perked him up a bit. He's still lethargic, even off balance when he walks, but his appetite is back and he's showing his old self in some ways.

I hope the fluid doesn't come back soon. Fingers crossed.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I am glad to hear that you are seeing signs of his old self. I hope it continues.
    The vet is giving us 2 prescriptions. Hopefully those will help as well.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    I hope the fluid doesn't come back soon. Fingers crossed.

I'll keep my fingers crossed too but meanwhile, you should cherish each day with Hadji because at 15, he is definitely in his twilight years.

-Frank
    Yeah, we're lucky he's been so healthy for such a long time.

Looks like he is starting to swell up again, though. :(

We got those 2 prescriptions and they're supposed to help with his circulation, so hopefully that stops or at least delays the process.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    I lost an older cat a month ago about the same age - sounds like some of the conditions were similar to Hadjis. I couldn't even post about it then.... :cry:

But there are 15 years of good memories.
  • Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Me too.

Hadji has up and down days. Yesterday was down. 2 days ago he was doing really well. It's hard to predict.

The heart meds arrive today and I'll try to feed him something to give him some energy.
    I'm sorry Steve. Those 15 years of memories are very precious and will last you the rest of your life. I'm still grieving for my sweet dog who died at 15 a little over a year ago, but I wouldn't trade the pain for anything. I will always have him with me, as you will have your kitty. :cry:
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    Beemer's litter mate sister is still around and that helps, plus the 3 year old is getting more sociable (his mom was a woodpile cat). When you don't have "real" kids, the pets really fill a void around the homestead.
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Steve,

I can totally empathize with you in regard to pets being part of the family. As someone who never had kids, our pets have been the family for us for the 20 years we are married. I get together with friends from High School and they show pictures of their kids; I pull out pictures of my cats :) . Matter of fact, they are the "screensaver" on my Garmin, so we always have a picture of them no matter where we go.

Juice- here's hoping things go smoothly for Hadji and that he doesn't suffer.

Mark
    Hadji has been improving, I'm a bit surprised.

We have him on 2 medications for his heart, both are supposed to improve his circulation.

At first he could not even keep the pills down. I tried peanut butter, but he would regurgitate them within minutes.

I then tried a different trick - crushing them to powder, and then mixing them with the meat sauce from some canned dog food. That's working.

So 2 good things happened - with small servings at first, he was able to keep the food down. That plus now he's getting his meds.

Even the swelling around his belly seems to have reduced. I'm kind of shocked, actually.

I guess the fact that he's actually able to eat and keep things down, plus the meds, is working well. Knock on wood.

Atta boy. :shades:
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Juice,

Glad to hear Hadji is doing better. Having an appetite is always a good sign with our pets.

Mark
    He even made it up the stairs this weekend. That really surprised me.

He's still lethargic, but at least he's happier.
  • Me and my husband lost our pet cat MAMA this year.
    The last 2 weeks were very painful for all of us.
    I'm so happy to here that hadji has some appetite.
    Cherish every moment you have with him. I found that our pets show so much gratitude for the love we give them that it actualy brings up there energy and they start to feel better as soon as they sence that we are around.
    All my prayers are with you.
    Well, he went while sleeping, rather peacefully. I'm surprisingly calm about it - perhaps because I saw it coming. I cried like a baby when we lost Ashley.

I still have to tell the kids. I imagine it will be hard on our 9 year old daughter. :(

Any how, thanks for all the kind words and advice over the past couple of months.
  • I'm glad it was peaceful. My sympathies to you and your family. :cry:

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Hugs to you and your family, juice. I know how hard this is. :cry:
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Juice- You and your family have my sincere condolences. Thankfully you had warning that his days were numbered so it gave you time to mentally prepare for this day. And waking up to find he passed during the night is a lot better than any alternative. You can also comfort yourselves with the knowledge that he had a good life and a loving family which is all any dog could hope for.

I fear that I will be dealing with the same situation in the not too distant future. My black lab Flash is about 13 now and is really starting to show his age... heart murmur is getting steadily worse, his hearing and eyesight are going and you can tell the joints are starting to hurt. In the meantime, I try every day to make sure he knows how much he is loved.

-Frank
    Yeah, hang in there, Frank.

I'm trying to remember him as a puppy, those were happy days! When we adopted him he had so much energy - he could jump over a 4 foot fence and escape our yard if something was interesting enough. I trained him to jump through a hula-hoop, a pretty neat trick.

I told my 6 year old son and first thing he said was "Can we get a pet Lizard?". :D

My daughter took it pretty hard. She cried and almost regurgitated. It was pretty bad. We comforted her, but she was sad that she did not get to say good bye.

She had a neat idea - to get a balloon and put a note on it for him. I got one of those mylar (sp?) balloons with "We'll Miss You" on it, and then each child wrote a small note and we tied it to the string. We let it go and watched it float away to the heavens.

It was sad but I think it gave them closure. Sure enough, the balloon floated way up in to the sky until it disappeared in the clouds.

The dogs had been blessed, ironically the same day our daughter was baptized. We told her about that.

I think that was an important step for her. For all of us.

Even though she was sad I thought she demonstrated a maturity well beyond her 9 years. :(