Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic LX vs Nissan Versa SL

2»

Comments

• sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    My Civic has been great and the service department has been right up there. With my Sentra...not so good. The dealership could not fix my problem with 7 attempts and they got really rude about it after the 5th shot. And this was all under the 3/36 warranty. Once the warranty was over and the problem remained, the car was done and so was Nissan.
    So to paint Nissan as a wonderful car company and Honda as being rude, is unfair. My situation was the complete opposite and proves nothing about either car company. I'm sure there are many more examples pro and con for every car make.
    In terms of reliability, my Sentra stunk and my Civic's great. Again, proves nothing about which company is better or worse. Our perception is our own experiences and what we read in these forums and hear from friends and family.
    At this point, the only company's I haven't tried that I would like to are Hyundai, VW & Mitsubishi. Very pleased with Honda so far.

The Sandman :)
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,637
    Sandman, I have owned 3 nissan products and never have I had a real problem with service or sales. I do have a major grip with the fiance department, but I'm sure that is in all dealerships.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    unfortunately, judging the reliability of any brand based on your personal experiance doesn't paint the whole picture, even if the car has a great track record. This concept singlehandedly works for and against everything anyone has ever said about the reliabiltiy of their car.

My vw rabbit may never have a problem but that wont change anyones opinions. And the civic gets flak for having a section where people talk about their problems with it, but everyone seems to forget there is a section for every single car here in regards to each personal owners problems with it.
    the 3 series is famous for its lack of back seat; if you want i'll refer back to the subaru impreza, which is in the same class (although often overlooked) as the civic; its back seat space is terrible. I posted this just to balance out the air of 'every back seat is bigger than the civic's'attitude.

and before anyone jumps, no that actual phrase wasn't used, that is just the vibe that is being put out there.

I've had plenty of six footers and they were pretty happy in the backseat. They liked the civics FLAT floor as well.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    Yes, there is a problems section for every car in Town Hall, but there isn't a multi-thousand-dollar price premium (for reliability) for all of those other cars as there is with the Civic. The price is higher, due to the reputation for reliability, so it is fair that expectations should be higher.

I thought you've already had multiple problems with your Rabbit, as you've reported in Town Hall?
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    there is probably no point in trying to make reliability comparisons. toyota, honda, and nissan all make high quality cars that will last forever. most of the time it will come down to how they are taken care of. purchase any car by any of those three manufactures, take car of it and do all the required maintanence when your supposed to, and they will last forever. reliability isn't realy an issue unless you bring ford and GM into the discussion.

And comparing dealerships is about the same. they're independantly owned. the actual owner and staff will determine how your experience goes. Has nothing to do with what kind of car they sell.
    i have not had any with the rabbit. But then again the things that have happened i can hardly call 'problems.'

1. the 'armed' light that flashes by the window is sometimes (a total of 2 times in the last 6 months) on after getting in the car. Arming and then disaring fixes this.

2. a windshield wiper adjustment for free.

hardly problems.
    And comparing dealerships is about the same. they're independantly owned. the actual owner and staff will determine how your experience goes. Has nothing to do with what kind of car they sell.

why did it take so long for someone to say this?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    My mistake then. Typically if it's not a problem, it doesn't need "fixing" or "adjusting", but that's just how I look at the world. I am glad your Rabbit has been trouble-free.
    thanks backster. ;)
  • Before buying my Versa SL in December 2006, we test drove a Civic. As fate would have it, it was drizzling rain when we went for a test drive -- which required the use of the windshield wipers. On the Civic, each wiper travels in a different direction rather than in parallel, which is conventional. For me and my wife, we found this to be so distracting and irritating that it was a deal-breaker for the Civic. Well, that and the extra $2k over sticker that the dealer wanted for it.

If you have a propensity to get motion sickness, I'd suggest that you try out the wipers before buying a new Civic.
    man that sucks. i always thought they looked cool.
  • I own a Honda Civic 2002 and swear I will never buy any Honda car again as long as I live. From year one, it has one constant problem after another. Thank god I bought the extended warranty. It must have paid back 10X by now. Every few months it has a major repair. Every time I go on a long trip, I come back and drive straight to the dealer the next day for repair. The dealers, of course, always tried to tell me that the repair is not covered by the warranty until I show them a copy of the warranty (which you can now download from the internet any time). I used to feel safer driving my 10 year old Toyota Corolla on long distance! I also discovered Honda Canada's policy on recall " Never perform a voluntary recall if Transport Canada regulations do not require it!" And if you talk to Transport Canada you will find that unless your car virtually explodes in your face, no automaker is required to perform a recall. As far as Honda Canada is concerned, if you can pull to the side of the road and wait for help, there is no need for recall. I cannot speak for all, but I sure as hell do not care to sit in the car at -30C with two young kids in the car on a highway waiting for help. And who likes to drive a car with unrepaired defects known by the manufacturer? Can't wait till I can afford to buy another reliable car again.
  • samncsamnc Posts: 44
    I owned a new 2000 Honda Civic in year 2000 and after drove for about 65,000kms in 2 years, I traded it with a Toyota Sienna in year 2002 for long distance travels (from Toronto to San Francisco). The Civic seats started to sag after about one year and 2 hours drive in a Civic was suffering the family (4 of us) with all pains and an 8 hours drive (from Toronto to New York City) needed at least 4 long rests and stretches. Nothing wrong with the Civic engine and transmission in that 2 years' ownership though. I miss the Civic's good response and good accelerations (better than Camry I4s) when compared with Versa (horrible accerlerations in the 20 to 50 mph range) but I guess I will never get back to Civic for seat sagging. Hope Versa seats will last 5 years.
2»
This discussion has been closed.