Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gardening

Comments

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,674
    At this point I am getting rid of it by putting my house on the market. It may seem drastic, but it WILL rid me of the problem.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You would probably need to install some sort of barrier (retaining wall?) if you wanted to let it grow in a small area and then dig out the yard to kill all the roots that already grew past a certain point.

I just planted my garden this weekend. I'm pretty proud of myself, too. Used home-made compost, plus some hummus and peat moss I had left over. Laid down the plants, mulched the area, put up cages, a small fence, and even a soaker hose and an automatic timer to water the whole thing. :shades:
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,674
    I don't want it at ALL. A few years ago, it was way overgrown & I had a professional team come dig it out. Three years later, it's coming back. It is actually worse than ivy.

I'm a minimalist (in effort, at least). Here's my backyard. The bamboo keeps wanting to appear entwined in those bushes up against the house.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,913
    We keep nursing our bamboo and trying to lead it along - lots of water, plenty of mulch for the winter, etc. We have one little "stand" that's survived for 3 years now while two other varieties we've tried have died completely.

How does that saying go - a weed is a plant in the wrong place?
    OK, time for me to transplant the seedlings of green beans and cucumbers that I planted from seeds with my kids. Hope to get to that project tonight. :shades:
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    You going to grow Agave for tequila? The Mexicans are digging up their agave fields to plant corn for tortillas. One more negative for ethanol production from corn.
    My wife loves agaves but they don't winter well outside here. She has great hopes for "Spike" but it's so succulent, I'm dubious.

Spike

one of our palms

I'd snap a photo of the switchgrass but I can't find it at the moment. :shades:
    They grow ok around here. No one harvests them outside Mexico that I know of. It may be very labor intensive. They are a neat looking plant. Good luck. Cover it in the winter and it should survive.
    I don't think so - my wife came home early today and took a look, and Spike's looking pretty sad. He's been covered with straw since late October.

However, she has several specimens of a Utah variety warming up in the bull pen (aka, our living room) to try next.
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    well it never fails when i plant my tomato vines it frost just one more time. and it happened last night so today all my neighbors started planting theirs. so if you haven't planted your garden yet the all clear to do so has been sounded :sick:
    We moved the indoor starts out to the shade house today; last average frost free day is the 10th so it won't be long. The weeds are going full tilt, that's for sure.

Spike didn't make it, btw. :sick:
    Put tomatoes in the ground and have seeds for beans and cucumbers, though not many have come up yet so I may re-plant a few more seeds.

I set it up to water automatically each morning, too. :shades:
    water automatically

Some would say that you're farming, not gardening. :D Watering is when you most get to enjoy the plants growing. Out here in the high desert, you may get to enjoy the plants twice or even three times a day. ;)
    I'm not around enough do water it 3 times. Plus the wife only goes out there when it's time to PICK FRUIT! :D
    Watering is when you most get to enjoy the plants

I agree with that. However I have all my trees and garden patches on automatic sprinklers or drip systems. No one to water the 2 weeks in Hawaii. All were doing well on return in spite of 100 degree weather while we were gone. I will take some pics of the tomatoes in the straw bales. I think that is a good way to go. We have tomatoes about inch and a half in diameter now. I think those are Celebrity.
    I got tomatoes about 2 inches and just turning yellow. So much better than store bought. Basil is doing well. Ready for some tomato & basil with angel hair pasta... mm
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    Parts of my yard looks like yours. The gravel part.

And, I can hardly believe it, but Spike lives.

Good thing you did not dig it up. Probably has a good root system...
    Winter before last when we had the coldest winter on record for our area most of the bouganvilla died back to the ground. When it got warm they came back. Our 30 year old Ficus tree was not so lucky. It was a beautiful big tree. This winter was warmer though longer with hot spells.
    My 'maters are doing OK but I'm having my house painted so hopefully they don't damage the garden. They do have to put their ladders there at times.
    We're down to our last 3 cloves of garlic (cloves, not bulbs).

The new crop traditionally gets harvested on July 4 and the tops are dying back nicely so I think we'll make the transition ok. :shades: