Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gardening

Comments

• steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,506
    We moved the indoor starts out to the shade house today; last average frost free day is the 10th so it won't be long. The weeds are going full tilt, that's for sure.

Spike didn't make it, btw. :sick:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Put tomatoes in the ground and have seeds for beans and cucumbers, though not many have come up yet so I may re-plant a few more seeds.

I set it up to water automatically each morning, too. :shades:
    water automatically

Some would say that you're farming, not gardening. :D Watering is when you most get to enjoy the plants growing. Out here in the high desert, you may get to enjoy the plants twice or even three times a day. ;)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I'm not around enough do water it 3 times. Plus the wife only goes out there when it's time to PICK FRUIT! :D
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,991
    Watering is when you most get to enjoy the plants

I agree with that. However I have all my trees and garden patches on automatic sprinklers or drip systems. No one to water the 2 weeks in Hawaii. All were doing well on return in spite of 100 degree weather while we were gone. I will take some pics of the tomatoes in the straw bales. I think that is a good way to go. We have tomatoes about inch and a half in diameter now. I think those are Celebrity.
    I got tomatoes about 2 inches and just turning yellow. So much better than store bought. Basil is doing well. Ready for some tomato & basil with angel hair pasta... mm
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    Parts of my yard looks like yours. The gravel part.

And, I can hardly believe it, but Spike lives.

Good thing you did not dig it up. Probably has a good root system...
    Winter before last when we had the coldest winter on record for our area most of the bouganvilla died back to the ground. When it got warm they came back. Our 30 year old Ficus tree was not so lucky. It was a beautiful big tree. This winter was warmer though longer with hot spells.
    My 'maters are doing OK but I'm having my house painted so hopefully they don't damage the garden. They do have to put their ladders there at times.
    We're down to our last 3 cloves of garlic (cloves, not bulbs).

The new crop traditionally gets harvested on July 4 and the tops are dying back nicely so I think we'll make the transition ok. :shades:

My garden isn't doing so well. I think the soil needs some more conditioning or something.

To make matters worse, I'll be out of town for 3 weeks in July. I hope my automatic watering works while I'm gone!
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    first time i have grown them , hungarian peppers, are doing very well. i have pulled about a half doven. and much to my surprise they are a little more than i would call medium hot. they are about 6-8 in. and are very good for stuffing with good cheese not the fake stuff. no tomatos yet just bell peppers and the hot ones. :)
    We made our second batch of plum jam and have not put a dent into the crop. I have never seen a tree so loaded with fruit as our one plum tree. So far the birds have taken just a few. Maybe the owl on the fence is working. I have downloaded a couple recipes for plum brandy. I want to make at least 2-3 gallons. Tomatoes are getting ripe. We have 12 tomato plants so that will mean lots of salad and tomato & basil with angel hair pasta....

I'm comin' over. Those look good!

So far I've had one tomato and half a dozen or so string beans, so my garden hasn't really gotten started yet.

We've had too much rain, the ground is soggy. Bring on the sun!
    You are always welcome. We can have some ice cream with plum or peach brandy on top. I have to get going on the peach brandy. They are ripening fast now. Wife is going to can some peach and plum jam today.

Here is this morning's harvest:

This set of bales has all the ingredients for great pasta. Zucchini, basil and tomatoes. The tall tomato vine is over 6 foot and no sets yet. It is supposed to be Super Beefsteak tomatoes.

Very nice...

I'm back from vacay, but the crop still isn't doing much better. The ground is still soggy. Funny thing is I usually have the opposite problem.

I may build a raised bed for next year.

Did you plant those right in the hay bale? That's hilarious. Must drain real well?
    I soaked in some potting soil to give it a little nutrient. The problem here is lack of rain. Yes the bales drain very well. I have to water every day when it is warm. Not sure if I will do the bales next year. I think I am going to build up some more gardens with cement blocks. I will use the straw from the bales as compost. I am getting good squash and tomatoes. It is also better for keeping squirrels out of the tomatoes. It is all fun to try different things. I like using 55 gallon plastic barrels cut in half also. They keep the critters out pretty much.
    I get some critters, too, but mostly it's just that the plants are spindly and thin. I added some compost and mulch, so we'll see.
    I am thinking that I could use some of my land for one of these systems. It would be nice to have nice fresh veggies year round. They also are growing algae for biodiesel. At the very least I will buy some of their stock. Seems like the best system I have seen thus far.

http://www.valcent.net/s/HDVGS.asp?ReportID=266563

http://cc.pubco.net/www.valcent.net/i/misc/HDVG/index.html
    I saw an episode of How It's Made (great show BTW) on hydroponics, I think that's what it was called. They grew lettuce with rather incredible efficiency, all floating in pools of water in a green house. Very neat.

Update: my green beans are actually doing well. I was out for 3 weeks so some overripened, but I filled up a small basket.

I have 2 good cucumber plants, my best crop last year, so let's see if those take off.
    My wife says I can build a fancy greenhouse when our other home sells, soon I hope. I want to try some of that fancy hydroponic growing. My wife spent time in Israel in the early 90s. She said they grew the greatest tomatoes and cucumbers in greenhouses.
    Starting last week the bees have taken over the hummingbird feeders. Some have a slightly bigger hole for the Orioles to feed through. The bees seem to be able to get nectar that way. Still going through about a gallon a day feeding hundreds of hummingbirds.

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    Ew. Do the hummers even use that feeder with all those bees?

You should try this kind of feeder. You can get rubber tips for them that the bees can't get into.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

The bees do bother them a bit. They still manage to get in and get fed. I use one of that flat type also. The bees cannot get in those holes. I have several feeders that have the standard size holes that bees don't bother. I was just amazed yesterday when I went out and so many had clustered on that one feeder.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    I haven't seen any hummers for over a week, so I guess they have started migrating. IIRC, they were still around well into October last year. Wonder if that means we're in for a bad winter?

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Mine started their heavy congregating almost a month early here in San Diego. I still have a lot of them. I get a few that hang around all year. I am thinking early winter also.
    The Orioles come around off and on all year. I quit feeding all but the hummingbirds, orioles and goldfinches on my deck. The rest are so messy. I toss a can of feed out on the ground for the sparrows, quail and doves everyday.
    Finally getting some. Not a lot, but at least the garden was not a total loss.
    The tomato plants I planted didn't do squat. One volunteer sprung up last month and I've gotten a cup or two of cherry tomatoes from it.

• okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    well i don't know why but in the last three weeks my pepper plant have lost their minds. i am getting 8-10 bells off 2 plants a week. the anahiems that one plant is producing is about about the same. the hungarians are definitly in the lead though. this is the most productive they have been all year. i will probably take some to the market saturday morning to trade for some tomatoes or beans. good gardening to you all :D
    Lucky duck!

I got a few more 'maters and one good cucumber, but my plants are fizzling out with this cold weather.

I picked up a garden claw on clearance for less than 2 bucks, anyone ever use those to aerate their soil? Hope it works.

Didn't cost me much if it doesn't, at least.