Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gardening

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    edited June 2013
    Thank you CA regulators.

Veggies are nasty things. (science20.com)

The neighbors just planted their garden; t'was a late Spring so they're a week late. Up in Anchorage, our friends have been warned not to count on a 90 day season this summer.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    edited June 2013
    Speaking of dirty water contaminating our veggies. When the guy came to replace our RO water filters I had him run his test on the rain water sitting in barrels. It was at least a couple weeks old. It tested cleaner than the water run through the Reverse Osmosis. And hundreds of times cleaner than the city water.

I am using more worm castings and I use that Alaska fish fertilizer every couple weeks. Not sure how salmonella would get into our pots and beds. I suppose anything is possible. I feel safer with what I grow than the produce that is mostly from Mexico. Worse yet Chinese produce and food products.
    Looks like we will have more tomatoes than we can eat shortly. Probably can a lot. Also I am growing Champagne Mangos from seed. Not sure how long it will take before they produce. They do not grow very fast here.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,690
    edited June 2013
    I enjoy your updates and pictures on your gardening. Keep it up.

Our tomatoes are about 1 ft to 16 inch tall for the earliest. Have others later.

Darned baby rabbit kept nipping off stuff at ground level. Got 10 or so pea plants that were forming pod ready to grow the peas inside. They were planted very early here.

Finally trapped the little rabbit after 3 or so weeks. He had nearly doubled in size. I was ready to borrow a pellet gun to try to get him.

This message has been approved.

I would imagine your rabbits are edible. Ours are not for human consumption. Unless you are really hungry.

We keep pinching off the taller stems on our tomatoes. We have snow peas all winter long. The sun kills them off by this time of year.
    The talk of OJ, I thought I should post one of the lemons we are now using. These are big with thick soft skins. Very mild flavor. I think it is a Eureka Lemon.

There are four different heirloom tomatoes in this salad. The Pineapple tomato is yellow and very sweet.

Our cactus garden and crepe myrtle tree are happy this year.

We got tomatoes coming on strong and getting big. This is becoming one of my favorites. Called Pineapple. So sweet almost tastes like fruit. I guess it is a fruit.

edited July 2013
    Oh no, the Supreme Court (and Ronald Reagan) both said tomatoes/ketchup are veggies. Can't let something silly like botany get in the way of commerce. :D

Since we cook up seedless grapes and Italian sausage now and then for dinner, I don't buy the "fruit is only for desert" argument (not to mention the lemon chicken we cooked last night).

Crepe myrtles are one of the trees and shrubs I miss from the South. The one I tried in Boise couldn't handle the heat or sand or something.
    We have several crepe myrtle trees. They have grown a lot in the 6 years we have lived here. Also the black locust trees with their beautiful pink blossoms in the Spring. The Jacaranda I planted is finally taking hold and growing well. I don't think it is the soil with crepe myrtle trees. As we have horrible DG soil. Cactus grows well here without any help from me. I like that.

• burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Jacaranda's are pretty trees, but very messy during the summer. Those little lavender flowers get all over everything.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,675
    I'm jealous, but gloat all you like. I enjoy seeing what's possible with some gardening skills and a good growing climate!

I'm having mixed success this year. Harvested some sweet peppers already, and my various cherry tomato plants are producing in abundance. My other tomatoes are a bit slow, and my heirlooms look like they're not going to give me much, if anything at all. May be a bit early for them.

My miniature cucumbers are quite happy, too. I should be making my first batch of dill pickles later this week.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

It is not all great. My wife's cucumber plants had all the leaves eaten off them this morning. Then some of our big tomatoes were chewed up. We were out there this afternoon and found out who is doing the damage. A family of California Weasels. This is the first time we have seen them actually eating our crops. I thought they were more carnivores. I will have to set traps and catch them.
    Now you know where your rabbits went....
    We are completely over run with rabbits. I poison the squirrels to protect the quail. Not sure what will get rid of the possums, racoons and weasels.
    They were there first and by planting a grocery store for them, you've become the attractive nuisance. ;)
    Are you basing that on Biblical chronology? :shades:

According to all I can find the CA weasel is strictly a carnivore. So our leaf and tomato thieves are probably the mocking birds. We did observe them eating the leaves off the snow peas last Winter. I am thinking the Weasels are here because of the very large quail population we have created. By killing off the quail egg stealing squirrels we have provided a good food source for the weasels. The information says they will attack animals up to rabbit size. We have plenty of rabbits for them to eat. Kind of cute critters.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,690
    > Kind of cute critters.

Unless you're a rabbit!

Are those California weasels a protected species?

As for the possums and getting rid of them, it is possible to poison them. They like fat and meat IIRC. I had read up on how to attract them to traps when we had a neighborhood possum use the area under our ground level wooden deck as a maternity ward.

This message has been approved.

I don't expect we will starve as a result of the various critters. I caught a young possum once in my trap and did not have the heart to kill him. I don't think the CA Weasel is endangered. They seem to be a new arrival in our area according to a friend that is a wildlife photographer.This is the first year he has seen them around San Diego. Common in the Sierras.

I am eating lots of Tomatoes and peaches now, mmmmmm

These are the most prolific tomatoes so far. They are large very mild and not many seeds. The color is mango orange. We are really enjoying them. Plan to harvest some seeds off a couple.

Here compared to a hybrid sungold. Which have been producing continually since April.

Lunch time :)

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,633
    What kinda peach is that? OHenry?